Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Onkyo 5.1 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-00, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just returned my Onkyo 474 to Circuit City. I had it for about 2 1/2 weeks when the audio kept dropping. Even when I switched from 5.1 to Stereo the sound either kept dropping or no audio.

I saw a review in Audioreview.com about similar problems with a 575 model.

Unfortunately, before I saw that particular review I exchanged it for another Onkyo this time the 484, thinking I just got a lemon. I'm praying this one won't have similar problems.

Any recent (1 yr or less) Onkyo receiver purchasers out there and how is yours fairing?
Old 09-17-00, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My 676 is incredible. No complaints at all. My last two receivers a Sony ES300 and a JVC 884 where less than stellar performers. I wouldn't trade my Onkyo for anything else in its price range.

------------------
"Know what I mean, know what I mean. Nudge, nudge."
DVD Preorders Laserdisc
Old 09-20-00, 04:35 PM

I've had my 575x for a couple months now and no problems whatsoever. knock, knock. I even tested how high I could take it after tuning for my speakers. I as surprised when I saw the display read MAX without any distortion on DVD.

------------------
Sony 32" Trinitron
Onkyo TX-DS575x
Pioneer DV-525
JBL Music1 mains, Phase Technology 1C center, Advent Baby II surrounds, Infinity BU-120 sub
Old 09-21-00, 08:42 PM

I have had my 575X for quite some time now and have not experienced any problems whatsoever. Next to the 989 I plan to buy next year (if the price ever goes down), I think this is one of the best receivers I have ever had.

------------------
DJ B SINISTER
Old 09-21-00, 10:04 PM
Cool New Member

I too have a 474. At this point I am happy with it, but after I had it for a couple of weeks the left rear channel dropped to about half volume. I couldn't figure out what I could have done wrong. I emailed Onkyo and finally got a reply, after I decided to return the unit from where I purchased it. They gave me a couple of possible cures for resetting the channel, but too late, the unit was already gone, so I don't know if either one of those would have helped. I've had it shut down on me twice, but I was pushing it a little, with rather large Polk speakers, now being powered by another Onkyo stereo int. amp. This amp I've had for years and driven the hell out of it with no problems at all. Overall I like Onkyo a lot. They do sound great with Polk speakers for some reason, my whole sound system is Polk Audio. Anyway, good luck with yours. The 484 is essentially the same receiver with a few extras.

------------------
stevef