Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Martian Chronicles (TBA)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-12-11, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

From AICN:

The Hollywood Reporter's Heat Vision blog is reporting today that Paramount Studios has secured the rights to Ray Bradbury's classic short story collection THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES. Many attempts have been made over the years to bring this book to the screen; there was even a miniseries on NBC in 1980 that was pretty good, if I remember correctly. I always especially loved "Mars Is Heaven!", which still scares even today.

The book was originally in the hands of Universal, who tried for years to get a version made, even with Steven Spielberg producing, but nothing came of it. Now producer John Davis (PREDATOR, and unfortunately MARMADUKE and NORBIT... shudder) has the project, and considering the scope of the story, it will likely be a tentpole film for the studio.

I have the feeling Mars is going to be a popular vacation spot at the movies, based on next year's JOHN CARTER OF MARS and this. Looking forward to this film if it happens; this book has been notoriously difficult to adapt. With a big budget behind it, we may get to see Ray Bradbury's epic collection finally realized on screen.

I would be ecstatic if this was done right, but I'm not sure how well they can translate Bradbury's fantastic novel to film. I own the mini-series on DVD, but have yet to watch it. I'll be watching this development closely.
Old 04-12-11, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: The Martian Chronicles (TBA)

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
From AICN:

The Hollywood Reporter's Heat Vision blog is reporting today that Paramount Studios has secured the rights to Ray Bradbury's classic short story collection THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES. Many attempts have been made over the years to bring this book to the screen; there was even a miniseries on NBC in 1980 that was pretty good, if I remember correctly. I always especially loved "Mars Is Heaven!", which still scares even today.

The book was originally in the hands of Universal, who tried for years to get a version made, even with Steven Spielberg producing, but nothing came of it. Now producer John Davis (PREDATOR, and unfortunately MARMADUKE and NORBIT... shudder) has the project, and considering the scope of the story, it will likely be a tentpole film for the studio.

I have the feeling Mars is going to be a popular vacation spot at the movies, based on next year's JOHN CARTER OF MARS and this. Looking forward to this film if it happens; this book has been notoriously difficult to adapt. With a big budget behind it, we may get to see Ray Bradbury's epic collection finally realized on screen.

I would be ecstatic if this was done right, but I'm not sure how well they can translate Bradbury's fantastic novel to film. I own the mini-series on DVD, but have yet to watch it. I'll be watching this development closely.
This only works as a mini series. I loved the book and there's so much going on there's no way it could translate into a movie. I wouldn't mind an update of the mini series, though.
Old 04-12-11, 10:02 PM

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,090 Posts

This, on all counts.
Old 04-13-11, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A great book, but unfilmable as a two-hour movie. There are 28 unrelated short stories in it, how are they going to turn that into a coherent film? Maybe they'll try an anthology format - but there's no way they can do that in two hours and do any sort of justice to the book.

Also, I think the Martian Chronicles has a desolate, apocalyptic, elegiac tone that would require an auteur director to nail down properly. Like Nolan, Aronofsky, Herzog, etc. In the wrong hands, it would be a mess. Or worse, utter schlock like that movie A Sound of Thunder.

Back in the 60s, there was a movie based on Bradbury's book The Illustrated Man and it was awful. Came off like a bad bunch of Night Gallery episodes.
Old 04-13-11, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 94 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by terrible chong
the Martian Chronicles has a desolate, apocalyptic, elegiac tone that would require an auteur director to nail down properly.
Uwe Boll?
Old 04-14-11, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heh, whoever remembers the miniseries as "pretty good" probably doesn't have a very good memory, from all the reviews I've read.

At one point, shortly before the miniseries' scheduled release, Bradbury found himself the sole representative of the production at a press conference. When one reporter asked him what he thought of the miniseries, he responded candidly, "Booooooooring!"
Old 04-14-11, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

I watched the mini on first airing and thought it was pretty good.
Old 04-14-11, 09:35 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

I own a copy of the miniseries and while dated by the music, wardrobe and lack of dazzling special effects, it's still an entertaining and immensely enjoyable story. I'm proud to have it in my collection. -kd5-