Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

First Official Man Cave - thoughts/advice/suggestions appreciated

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-11, 12:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

So after some finagling with the wife on some details, I will now be able to have my own media room in our new house that's about to be built. This is the size and speaker setup I intend on getting wired. Overall, it'll be a 9.2 speaker setup with 2 subwoofers, with 1 sub in the front left of the screen, and 1 in the back right. I was wondering if anyone had thoughts about actually having 2 subs. Is it worth it? And if so, is it worth putting one 1 in the front and 1 in the back?

Also, can someone clarify on having a sub setup as stereo vs. mono? Does it make that much a difference?

Last edited by E Unit; 04-12-11 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-12-11, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: First Official Man Cave - thoughts/advice/suggestions appreciated

They say that you can't tell where a sub is without looking at it, I can only assume the same to be with two subs. I do not know who "they" are, but most of them would say more of anything is better.

9.2 sounds pretty awesome. You gonna go the projector or tv route? Projectors are great with proper light control. I miss my projector, I turned my theater area into a card playing area. It just didn't make sense for me to have a big tv upstairs, and a projector in the basement. Good luck in these exciting planning times......
Old 04-12-11, 08:53 PM
Banned by request

If fortune favors me, I'm starting off with a 65" something. The hopefully I can add in a projector and about a 100" pulldown screen sometime after.

Last edited by E Unit; 04-12-11 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-12-11, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frankly, a 65" TV (except DLP) is going to cost more than a decent projector.

They say people can't localize audio below 80Hz, hence that is the common sub crossover level. Personally, at least with my basement theater with concrete/ground walls, I can localize down to 50Hz. So, what you really need is a good sub setup, then it won't matter to your ears where the subs are.

Of course, there are other issues that can crop up, like the capabilities of your other speakers. Heh, good theater setup is an art.

I'm of the opinion that multiple subs doesn't offer much if you have a high quality sub. Go with a ridiculously good sub set with a crossover low enough and don't worry about stereo, which would then be impossible to localize, anyway. At this point, the only reason to have multiples would be for more volume. I can hit 120db with my one sub with no more distortion than at 80db....so, no need here. Not that I play it that loud.

I won't bother with specific recommendations unless you give a price range.

Last edited by Spiky; 04-12-11 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-13-11, 07:18 AM
Banned by request

True, I probably could, but I was thinking of trying to avoid firing up the projector every time I wanted to put on movies for my daughter or when I wanted to play some PS3 games. I haven't read too much on how projectors respond to gaming. I assume good? Another reason I am leaning towards holding off on a projector purchase is 3D. Still wondering if this something that will stay - or not. Not even sure of there are any somewhat decently priced 3D projectors out there, or if the technology is still catching up.

For the sub, under $4-5k (I'm pretty certain a good one can be had for $2k?) is what I'm aiming for. That's just it, I wasn't even sure if 2 would make a difference, or if I just got 1 really good quality one. Ive always heard good things about SVS subs. I'm open to any at this point.

I will be having B&W CM speaker series in the room.

Last edited by E Unit; 04-13-11 at 07:33 AM.
Old 04-13-11, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn, $4-5k for the sub alone? I'm coming to your house for now on to watch movies.
Old 04-13-11, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow sounds like your budget is pretty high! Keep us posted on your progress and purchases.

I don't know that much about subwoofers, but I have done some browsing. I wonder how this def tech sub sounds? http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Tec...2700476&sr=8-5 Equipped with two 14 inch subwoofers and four 14 inch radiators, powered by 2000 watt amp

Last edited by taa455; 04-13-11 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-13-11, 08:54 AM
Banned by request

From reading couuntless posts in the past, I'm come to realize the sub seems to be the one piece that's always more expensive. While my budget can go that high, I'm hoping to just get a great one for $2k. I guess going up to $4-5k is more than likely not necessary. Once I actually get into the house, I'm hoping to slowly purchase everytihng over the next year. I currently have a Denon 3808, but will soon be getting either the 4311 or 4810 Denon. Speaker funds for the 7.1 are almost complete. Outstanding will be the sub, the extra set of speakers to make the 9, and of course, the TV. It's months out, but I'll post pics as I get everything setup.

Thanks for the heads up on the Definitive sub, I'll definitely read up on it.
Old 04-13-11, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Have you narrowed down your speaker choices yet? I have been looking heavily at Def Tech. However my budget is around $1500 (maybe $1800 tops) for complete 7.1 (not including the AVR).
Old 04-13-11, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would recommend SVS to both of you. Their "small" speaker setup is going to match the $1500 budget very nicely, I've never seen a complaint about them. And their top of the line sub is under $2000 shipped, and it will hurt people if you let it, while remaining fast and clear. You can always add more later.

Some people seem to like boomy subs, thinking that's what is normal. I like a clean frequency response so the bass doesn't overpower everything else (sometimes soundtracks are recorded to do that, anyway, don't let the sub make it worse), and SVS delivers that at a ridiculously low price compared to most.

Also...
3D PJs aren't that cheap yet, so that is something you'll need to weigh if you want it. You can get a nice 50" flatscreen + non-3D PJ for $3000 or even less these days, then you'd have both for about the price of a 65" flatscreen. A truly big screen and big sound is amazing.

Last edited by Spiky; 04-13-11 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-13-11, 03:13 PM
Banned by request

I've been leaning towards the SVS, so that may be one decision taken care of. But what's the big advantage about having a cone shaped sub? I don't think the bass would be distributed any differently. It's definitely in the price range, in fact that's why i stated $4k, that would have been for 2 subs.

Yeah, thinking I may just write off even waiting for any kind of 3D projector. I'm not willing to pay a whole lot for something I'm not really in love with. It's been in the cards mainly because my daughter. But she'll have to do without perhaps.

What would be good in terms of automation? I was thinking lights, but what else? I was even pondering wiring the bedooms, or at least the master, kitchen, and living room for a speaker or two. And of course, the backyard.

Last edited by E Unit; 04-13-11 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-13-11, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I suppose I should caveat all this by saying I'm a complete SVS shill. Unpaid shill, at that. But, that doesn't make anything I say less true.

Cylinder, not cone. The benefit is floor space and weight. (or, some people just like the look) The Ultra is a 13" behemoth driver, but the cylinder model is only about 17" diameter and an average sized guy can pick it up pretty easy, simple for someone tall like me. Otherwise, SVS box subs tend to be pretty big, but they certainly have them, and sometimes in various wood choices. My dual-driver box sub is huge. REALLY huge, although under the 90" screen it disappears. When I had a cylinder, I picked it up and carried it downstairs, the box sub required an appliance dolly. When I upgraded my drivers, 12" Plus models, we decided it was wise to each carry one (had a friend over) instead of stacking 2 boxes in my 6'5" armspan. That's how heavy the drivers are, and the Ultra is bigger/heavier, I understand.

I haven't automated much, just a couple lights. Having those on the remote is awesome, though. I've done whole house audio slightly different, just using iTunes home sharing. But then, I've switched to computers for everything and stored all of our audio on the server. So, we pull out a laptop and listen to music via the network while doing work or playing a game. I notice Onkyo has an app for control of their networked receivers, does Denon? I know Denon was the first to do networking halfway 'right' in a receiver, but haven't paid attention the last couple years.
Old 04-13-11, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

Get a front projector. Get a front projector. Get a front projector.

It really is the only option IMO if what you want is the "movie" experience. Yet it also works great for gaming, sport, prime time TV, etc. I set up ours for "Saturday night movies" only. However it quickly turned into the most watched tv in the house.

Get a good all in one remote (I like Harmony) and you are good to go. I have my main lights hooked to a Lutron wireless switch and programed into my Harmony. Super easy and seemless.

Oh and get a front projector!
Old 04-14-11, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to this article, one sub is definitely enough for your space: http://www.hometoys.com/ezine/11.04/axiom/index.htm
Old 04-17-11, 10:05 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Spiky
Cylinder, not cone. The benefit is floor space and weight. (or, some people just like the look) The Ultra is a 13" behemoth driver, but the cylinder model is only about 17" diameter and an average sized guy can pick it up pretty easy, simple for someone tall like me.
I haven't automated much, just a couple lights. Having those on the remote is awesome, though. I've done whole house audio slightly different, just using iTunes home sharing. But then, I've switched to computers for everything and stored all of our audio on the server. So, we pull out a laptop and listen to music via the network while doing work or playing a game. I notice Onkyo has an app for control of their networked receivers, does Denon? I know Denon was the first to do networking halfway 'right' in a receiver, but haven't paid attention the last couple years.
Yep, meant cylinder, now just torn between a standard or cylinder. The Denon models I have been looking at have networking capabilities, so I need to look more into that.

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Get a front projector. Get a front projector. Get a front projector.

Get a good all in one remote (I like Harmony) and you are good to go. I have my main lights hooked to a Lutron wireless switch and programed into my Harmony. Super easy and seemless.

Oh and get a front projector!
I have a Harmony One, so that's good it can work automation. Maybe the lighting will be as far as I take automation. Don't want to get older and be one of those old people who don't know how to work anything later. So you're pimping front projectors, any direction you can point me towards to start looking at?

Originally Posted by Numanoid
According to this article, one sub is definitely enough for your space: http://www.hometoys.com/ezine/11.04/axiom/index.htm
Thank you, good to know. Considering the size of my room, I may opt to wire for only one sub, then bring in an SVS big boy.

Spekaing of wiring, would 14 gauge be sufficient to power up speakers the the distances I'll have them setup for? I have 14 gauge now, just don't know if I should go lighter or heavier for all of this. Also, I think I may end up putting Cat 5 or Cat 6 cable in all the bedrooms, media room, kitchen, and living room. Is Cat 6 preferable? I don't know too much about the difference between 5 and 6, and I think there's even a 7 now.

Last edited by E Unit; 04-17-11 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-19-11, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies

I have a Harmony One, so that's good it can work automation. Maybe the lighting will be as far as I take automation. Don't want to get older and be one of those old people who don't know how to work anything later. So you're pimping front projectors, any direction you can point me towards to start looking at?
Well our budgets are obviously in different ballparks. I'm looking at this for my next projector.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/mitsubishi/hc4000/

You can look around that site for reviews of others. It is one of my favorite projector review sites. Nice balance of tech, easy to understand and real world results.
Old 04-19-11, 08:48 PM
Banned by request

Thanks, this is a good site. I'll keep on the lookout for something.
Old 04-19-11, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Spekaing of wiring, would 14 gauge be sufficient to power up speakers the the distances I'll have them setup for? I have 14 gauge now, just don't know if I should go lighter or heavier for all of this. Also, I think I may end up putting Cat 5 or Cat 6 cable in all the bedrooms, media room, kitchen, and living room. Is Cat 6 preferable? I don't know too much about the difference between 5 and 6, and I think there's even a 7 now.
14AWG should be sufficient at almost any in-house distance for almost any speaker. That said, I have 10 and 12.

CAT5e is probably mandatory for most current applications, but then, that's probably the lowest you can find, anyway. CAT6 would be nice to cover anything you might want as it is 2-3x as fast. The cost difference should be minimal, so most people jump up on the CAT wiring. Speaker wire may not be so minimal a difference, takes more thought.

The Mits is probably a great buy for a DLP projector, even though it is only around $1000. For more flexibility, the Panasonic AE4000 really stepped up the $2000 range with motorized lens and other formerly high end features, it is an LCD. And you can start getting into LCOS/SXRD/DILA, a superior tech, for around $3000, now.