Old 04-10-11, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
The Killing -- "El Diablo" -- 4/10/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-03-19

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
City Councilman Richmond suspects a leak within his own team, causing a shakeup in his campaign. Sarah and Holder track down a potential witness to the murder and are led to a new suspect. Mitch shuts down completely, forcing Stan to take on both parenting roles as his family grapples with the reality of losing Rosie.

Episode 3 of 13

Moves to it's regular time at 10pm tonight
Old 04-10-11, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: The Killing -- "El Diablo" -- 4/10/11

AMC's website has a suspect tracker where you can place a vote:

http://suspecttracker.amctv.com/index.php

The lead in the votes after week 1 is:

Spoiler:
Jamie, Darren's Campaign manager
Old 04-10-11, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't get to watch the premiere until Wednesday and it still seems like I have been waiting forever for this episode. I guess they got their hooks into me fast, looking forward to this one.
Old 04-10-11, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I watched the first 2 episodes last night and got hooked. Really looking forward to this.

Given AMC's track record with original series, I was expecting something very good but this has so far exceeded my expectations.
Old 04-10-11, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good episode, maybe not as good as the first two, but still good.

This is becoming my new "Lost", meaning that it ends and I want to go to the Internet and read the forums for comments, theories, etc.

Right now I don't have a main suspect, hmmm.
Old 04-10-11, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

A great episode. However, the time flew by way too fast and now we got to wait until next week. I am really going to need each episode to be 2 hours long.

I really have no idea who did it at this point, but I am very engrossed in finding out.
Old 04-10-11, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
AMC's website has a suspect tracker where you can place a vote:

http://suspecttracker.amctv.com/index.php

The lead in the votes after week 1 is:

Spoiler:
Jamie, Darren's Campaign manager
I also think that person might be the killer.
Old 04-10-11, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since someone said theres no reason to spoiler, I won't this week unless otherwise indicated. It is so, so the teacher. Here's an actor who, for very little reason, keeps showing up in every episode, and just happens to find the rape video on the phone. For some reason, which we will learn later, Rosie went to him after being raped, if she was raped. Or it was all an act and she was just a hardcore sex fiend, who the teacher was having sex with, and he found out about what happened down there from the janitor, gets enraged, kills her.

I found it interesting to note he had stuff about campaigns and whatnot behind him on the blackboard when he was talking about grief councilors. He's clearly a social studies type teacher, and probably a volunteer for Richmond. It's the teacher, this episode just furthers my belief in that. As will every episode he continues to appear out of the blue.
Old 04-10-11, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Have they explained why the parents didn't look for her over the weekend? Or didn't try to contact her?

Maybe I missed that part.
Old 04-11-11, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Raul3
Have they explained why the parents didn't look for her over the weekend? Or didn't try to contact her?

I don't think so. That one woman (her sister maybe?) asked the mother why she didn't contact her all weekend, but I think it just cut to another scene before she responded at all.
Old 04-11-11, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by coladar
Since someone said theres no reason to spoiler, I won't this week unless otherwise indicated. It is so, so the teacher. Here's an actor who, for very little reason, keeps showing up in every episode, and just happens to find the rape video on the phone. For some reason, which we will learn later, Rosie went to him after being raped, if she was raped. Or it was all an act and she was just a hardcore sex fiend, who the teacher was having sex with, and he found out about what happened down there from the janitor, gets enraged, kills her.

I found it interesting to note he had stuff about campaigns and whatnot behind him on the blackboard when he was talking about grief councilors. He's clearly a social studies type teacher, and probably a volunteer for Richmond. It's the teacher, this episode just furthers my belief in that. As will every episode he continues to appear out of the blue.
I think that's the most likely person as well. I was just thinking about all the characters they introduced and he's one of the few who wouldn't be too obvious.
Old 04-11-11, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
I don't think so. That one woman (her sister maybe?) asked the mother why she didn't contact her all weekend, but I think it just cut to another scene before she responded at all.
Weren't they out of town on a camping trip? Just a feeling that we're going to find out that there was some sort of fight between Rosie and her Mom.
Old 04-11-11, 12:33 AM

He was my main suspect at first, but if he did kill her why would he tell the cops about the rape video on the phone? If you killed someone why would you want to help the cops solve the case?
Old 04-11-11, 01:38 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

I thought it was good once again.

The scene where Mitch puts herself under water to experience what Rosie's last moments were like was tough to watch
Old 04-11-11, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Great episode again.

I really have no idea who is a primary suspect at this point. They have done a great job giving us different people who may have motives.

Holder to Kris: "Your Mom says Hello.....Dickhead"

The sex/gang rape video that the teacher uncovered with Rosie, Kris and Jasper was really creepy. I think the teacher is just a red herring. To me it's a little too soon and too obvious. And the tape will probably used as an arc to exploit Rosie's kinky relationship with Jasper and possibly Kris. As for the vote on AMC's website at Jamie being the lead candidate, I can't see him as it right now. He's got no motive and as far as we can tell he doesn't know Rosie. Someone mentioned in last week's thread there may be something here about these young teen girls having sex with older men. Darren has some skeletons in his closet so you never know.

^^ Agree with Mr. X, the scene where Mitch held her breathe in the tub to try to experience Rosie's last moments were hard to watch.

I think the show is more of a mix of 24 and Twin Peaks. I liked the light drum score at the end flashing to all the different characters.

And to those of you who won't watch because it's not in HD... Sucks for you! Your missing out.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-11-11 at 02:12 AM.
Old 04-11-11, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Raul3

When Sarah went to interview Mitch last week about Rosie, I think she mentioned that she's 17 years old now and doesn't need to constantly watch over her.
Old 04-11-11, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm hoping against hope that we haven't been introduced to the killer...as of yet.
Old 04-11-11, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by macontosh2000
He was my main suspect at first, but if he did kill her why would he tell the cops about the rape video on the phone? If you killed someone why would you want to help the cops solve the case?
Hmm... As I posted, that bit made me feel slightly more confident he was the killer. I'll go back a bit though. On second thought, I am guessing the reason that the teacher saw the video was that someone sent it to that phone? The phone seemed like it was ringing, and then the audio if the video without the teacher touching anything. Why one of those morons would send the video doesn't make sense though. So was it on the phone to begin with?

If it was on the phone to begin with, its an extra bit that helps cement the teacher as the killer, but until someone who got that can answer, I'll just answer your question.

Telling the cops about the rape would be the smartest thing the killer could do. Right now they have no suspects, and are just digging, digging and digging. The teacher knows that those two rapists didn't know about their relationship, and so he has a video of Rosie being gang-raped, or seemingly, on the night she was murdered. Boom, end of digging, those two killed her, he's out in the clear. I think the better question is why, if the murdered had video or any evidence at all she was being raped, wouldn't he tell the cops? All it can do is point the finger in another direction and stop them from digging.

And like I said, the janitor adds something else to the mix. He saw a girl getting gang raped, he could possibly tell dear old teach. He might not, considering his peepy hole, but he could just say he walked in on it.

Here's something else I don't get on reflection. The second guy in the video was Jasper, the rich kid, right? So why did the janitor, when shown the yearbook, and have Jasper pointed at, say no and instead point to the skater kid? I'm assuming that's all correct, right? Does that mean somehow Jasper wasn't there the whole time, or Jasper came later, while the janitor was running for the teacher when it was must the skater kid and Rosie? Or Jasper bought him off? Or it's a clue to the murder somehow?

Obviously, we are three episodes in, so it's going to be next to impossible to guess the killer. They'll reveal things they probably didn't even think of when writing the pilot, and obviously the candidate and his whole group's plot line fit into Rosie's life more somehow. They are putting way too much focus on it not to reveal at some point that Rosie or her family had some connection to Richmond. Maybe the dad was contracted to do something with that project he offered the husband's plumbing business for, maybe mom had an affair with him, maybe he's Rosie's father. Or there's some connection between either the male or female campaign manager and Rosie's family... There's quite a bit to still be revealed there, obviously.

But at the end of the day, the teacher fits, being in Rosie's life. They gave a clue in the first episode when the male cop asked him if he was sleeping with Rosie, out of the blue. And he's been in every episode so far, oddly, since the last two weren't really required. He just makes sense. His connection with the Richmond campaign, having him come in as a guest speaker? So far he's the one connection between Rosie and the Richmond campaign. Literally, the one connection. Like I said, he was clearly instrumental in having Richmond as a guest speaker at her school the very first school day after she was killed. That's not a coincidence that Richmond was speaking at the school that day, and one of his cars dumped the body. If the teacher is a volunteer, he knows about the cars. If not, he would have had the staff come to arrange the talks, and thus seen/discussed the cars.

So far there are very few clues, and very little story revealed, but everything points to the teacher, and it all fits together quite well for being all sewn together after we get several episodes of red herrings and crap squared away. There are just enough clues for them to say, hey, remember that way back in episode two, without the teacher seeming so obvious that it's clearly a red herring, as the Richmond campaign clearly is.
Old 04-11-11, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Here's something else I don't get on reflection. The second guy in the video was Jasper, the rich kid, right? So why did the janitor, when shown the yearbook, and have Jasper pointed at, say no and instead point to the skater kid? I'm assuming that's all correct, right? Does that mean somehow Jasper wasn't there the whole time, or Jasper came later, while the janitor was running for the teacher when it was must the skater kid and Rosie? Or Jasper bought him off? Or it's a clue to the murder somehow?
I think Jasper probably left the cage after he finished or was not visible to the janitor and then he coincidentally looked through his little Peep hole and saw "El Diablo" raping Rosie and saw the reveal that it was Kris after he took off the mask as the video showed. Right now they are trying to make you think the 2 friends are the primary suspects from that video alone.

As you said, 3 hours in with 10 more to go, it's still way too early to tell.
Old 04-11-11, 09:24 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Wasn't Jasper wearing the mask on the video of the rape?

Last edited by MrX; 04-11-11 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-11-11, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In establishing a time line, i think it is important the janitor was arrested for DWI at 9:30 that night. So the vid happens before then, and he did not see the mask reveal, only "el diablo".
Old 04-11-11, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by MrX
Wasn't Jasper wearing the mask on the video of the rape?
Ooops, I think your right Jasper wore the El Diablo mask, Kris was the 1st one visible in the tape. After pointed out Kris in the yearbook, he just blurted out "El Diablo"
Old 04-11-11, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk God

http://suspecttracker.amctv.com/breakdown.php

Suspect tracker week 2 says it's Gwen, Darren's advisor/lover at 14%.

Bennett the teacher has dropped to 10%
Old 04-11-11, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk God

FYI, for the cheap/poor bastards who don't have cable, AMC actually posted episode 3 online.
Old 04-11-11, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Weren't they out of town on a camping trip? Just a feeling that we're going to find out that there was some sort of fight between Rosie and her Mom.
I don't know if it's a fight, but I also get the feeling that there is something the mother hasn't shared yet.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.