Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Record Store Day April 16, 2011 - Discussion thread

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-11, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Record Store Day arrives again with a nice list of exclusives to ponder over:

http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases

I'm hoping to get Medium Rare by the Foo Fighters, maybe a few others.
Old 04-09-11, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Record Store Day April 16, 2011 - Discussion thread

I like the concept, but since I'm not into vinyl, it doesn't interest me much. If they would have some cool stuff on cd as well, I would probably go apeshit and spend a lot of money.
Old 04-09-11, 06:08 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I work during the day on the 16th, and I'm worried that by the time I get to Amoeba, all the good stuff will be gone. But there's a bunch of stuff I want, so I'll still probably trek out to Hollywood anyway.
Old 04-09-11, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm hoping to grab the Foo Fighters and Nirvana releases but I'm not even sure if my local stores are going to have stock. I'll be there bright and early anyhow.
Old 04-09-11, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

I just looked at the list. There is a Crowded House 3 cd set that is a part of RSD, so I may pick that up.
Old 04-10-11, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sweet. Looks like Cults have recorded their album and it's coming out soon!
Old 04-10-11, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by jrsl76
Sweet. Looks like Cults have recorded their album and it's coming out soon!
in May i believe

the past couple of years i've been into the whole thing but this year i'm kinda buying into the backlash a bit--there have always been releases that i never got that would end up on Ebay for ridiculous amounts and it's just kind of a bummer...i'm gonna be in St Louis that day so i'll prob end up at Vintage Vinyl at some point and might pick thru what's left after the "collectors" get their share
Old 04-10-11, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might pick up the Nirvana but that would be it. I love record store day, despite the backlash, but my main problems are that there are too many 7 inch records released and not enough full length albums and I wish they put out more CD's...
Old 04-11-11, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

1. Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band: Gotta Get The Feeling/Racing In The Street (10”)
2. Foo Fighters: Medium Rare (12”)
3. Nirvana: Hormoaning (12”)
4. Pearl Jam: Immortality/Rearviewmirror (7”)
5. Red Hot Chili Peppers/Ramones: Havana Affair (7”)
6. Rush: Caravan/BU2B (7”)
7. The White Stripes: Lafayette Blues/Sugar Never Tasted So Good (7”)
8. The White Stripes: Let’s Shake Hands/Look Over Me Closely (7”)

I'm hoping to get those but I'd be happy if I end up with just the Foo Fighters and Nirvana albums. The two White Stripes singles would be nice too, but I have a feeling they'll be really limited. This is the first Record Store Day I'm attempting to get items from but from reading over people's experience it seems like it could be better. I hate how days like this are supposed to be fun events for fans that wind up ruined by a bunch of people looking to profit by selling stuff for ridiculous prices on eBay or wherever.

Last edited by Mike86; 04-11-11 at 01:20 AM.
Old 04-11-11, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is the first year that I've noticed any level of backlash toward RSD and I've done it every year since it started. I chalk that up to the johnny-come-lately vinyl collectors over the past 2 years and people not really getting what the day is about. It's not about exclusives, though they are part of the fun. The point is to get people back into the stores again. I have a list of the exclusive releases that I want, if I get any of them I'll be happy - I'm certainly not going to cry about not getting something specific. If not, I'll browse the bins and get something else. People going out just to get one piece from a band that they "collect" - and I believe that these are the most vocal complainers on RSD - aren't really getting the point either.

As for the flippers on eBay, the demand for most of these items drops after the first couple weeks. Wait it out if you can't find it and check eBay in a few weeks. Most everything from last year now goes for the list price. Some stuff is going to be high-demand no matter what - White Stripes, Radiohead (UK only, I believe), etc. But 6000 copies of Hormoaning on vinyl should be more than enough to satisfy demand.
Old 04-11-11, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I did vinyl from 1975-1995. Instead of vinyl, these artists should be pushing SACD or some other hi-res format besides vinyl.

And I do go to my local "record" store. Unfortunately, they seldom have what I am looking for unless its a specific new release.
Old 04-11-11, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I'll be out of town this year (going to CA to visit family), but located a store where I am going that looks pretty cool, I'll go check them out and pick up the Foo Fighters covers album. I pretty much buy a record a week (usually used), so I am not seeing this as a buy a bunch of stuff day.
Old 04-11-11, 09:07 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Oliver Clothesoff
It's not about exclusives, though they are part of the fun. The point is to get people back into the stores again.
Well, without the exclusives people aren't going to be motivated to go back into the stores.
Old 04-11-11, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Well, without the exclusives people aren't going to be motivated to go back into the stores.
This.

I was trying to remember when the last time was that I actually went to an actual record store and I think it might have been last year's Record Store Day.

The bottom line is that I can get any new release on line delivered to me whenever I want and I'm saving time and money in the process. And of course I can download almost anything in seconds from iTunes if I don't want a physical copy.

As a baby boomer, I do regret the demise of record stores, but the world has changed.

The hard part will be not treating Saturday morning like a funeral. I'll pay a visit to Zia Record Exchange and hopefully find some of the exclusives to buy and remember what it used to be like visiting a record store.
Old 04-11-11, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

This is the first year that I've noticed any level of backlash toward RSD and I've done it every year since it started. I chalk that up to the johnny-come-lately vinyl collectors over the past 2 years and people not really getting what the day is about. It's not about exclusives, though they are part of the fun. The point is to get people back into the stores again. I have a list of the exclusive releases that I want, if I get any of them I'll be happy - I'm certainly not going to cry about not getting something specific. If not, I'll browse the bins and get something else. People going out just to get one piece from a band that they "collect" - and I believe that these are the most vocal complainers on RSD - aren't really getting the point either.

As for the flippers on eBay, the demand for most of these items drops after the first couple weeks. Wait it out if you can't find it and check eBay in a few weeks. Most everything from last year now goes for the list price. Some stuff is going to be high-demand no matter what - White Stripes, Radiohead (UK only, I believe), etc. But 6000 copies of Hormoaning on vinyl should be more than enough to satisfy demand.
Get over yourself man. I admittedly am new to the vinyl game but I understand the point of the day and it's not just because I'm a "johnny-come lately vinyl collector". I didn't know too much about them and how good they could sound until I purchased the Pearl Jam Ten Deluxe Set a year or so back. Before then I didn't buy records not because I didn't want to, but because where I live there are no actual record stores around anymore and I didn't feel the need to seek them out and rather went with convenience of what I had available. I pretty much have to rely on the box stores like Walmart or Target for a lot of my music. I would gladly shop at a record store if one were available. Now if I want to buy an album by a band on vinyl it either is directly from the band's web site or Amazon.

If something is released for Record Store Day it would be nice to actually have a chance at getting it especially considering I'm traveling a bit to try and find what I'd like on my list. Exclusives make this day otherwise they'd focus more on creating a day that revolved around new releases at a sale price or something like that.
Old 04-11-11, 12:48 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Also, without "johnny come lately" the hobby would die out. You should be welcoming those folks into the fold.
Old 04-11-11, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Also, without "johnny come lately" the hobby would die out. You should be welcoming those folks into the fold.
Exactly ... the downside is prices on used records are going up (in some cases well beyond what they should be), but more and more bands are releasing new material on vinyl and coming out with re-pressings. These "newbies" may very well be what keep vinyl going and encourage more bands to keep putting out releases on vinyl, all of which is a good thing IMO.
Old 04-11-11, 04:03 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Some of the ones I'm looking to pick up:

13TH FLOOR ELEVATORS
AC/DC
Duran Duran
RHCP/Ramones
The Cars
Old 04-11-11, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

nah, vinyl was doing just fine without the influx. It might have picked up steam lately, but it's been a niche format that was surviving and will probably outlast CDs.
Old 04-11-11, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just as a head's up, the Daft Punk exclusive may be canceled.
Old 04-11-11, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by gmanca
Just as a head's up, the Daft Punk exclusive may be canceled.
Of course, because that's the only exclusive I'm really interested in.
Old 04-11-11, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, that's what piqued my interest as well; it's just a possibility but I mentioned it so you can measure your expectations.
Old 04-11-11, 05:59 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

nah, vinyl ... will probably outlast CDs.
An interest speculation but likely not as long as anybody can burn a CD which, despite the decline in sales, sells hundreds of 1000s more than the best vinyl seller. Vinyl also requires much more labor. It's a niche that's hanging on like 8-tracks did. I think they were released into the 90s.
Old 04-13-11, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Too bad all the vinyl people didn't embrace SACD or DVDA.
Old 04-13-11, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by CRM114
Too bad all the vinyl people didn't embrace SACD or DVDA.
Those seem like formats that Hipsters might embrace.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.