Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Help with rare DVD!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-11, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with rare DVD!

So I got my hands on a copy of scarface.

Release date: Mar 31, 1998
UPC: 025192014123

Does anyone have an knowledge about how rare this dvd is? I heard it's pretty rare and hard to come by...

All help is much appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 04-09-11, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Help with rare DVD!

Its the jewel case which is rare. Not the edition. I can't find any listings for the jewel case version anywhere.. but the regular case, is under 10$ shipped used at ebay. Not sure you'd actually get more than that if you tried to sell it.
Old 04-09-11, 08:26 AM

Is the jewel case a clear snapper or something?

Reason why I'm asking is because the version that I got my hands on says it's the Jewel case version in the description. So, my guess it's the legit rare 1998 jewel case version of the scarface movie...

Any additional info would be awesome. For instance, How do I know someone didn't just grab another jewel case and say, "yeah, this is the original jewel case it came with!"

Last edited by Raw_and_Vital; 04-09-11 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-09-11, 09:04 PM

Your DVD of Scarface is worthless. What makes movie DVDs valuable are limited printings or a DVD getting pulled off the market. The Image DVD of Farewell, My Lovely was pulled from stores on the release date but some got sold on the Internet and from some stores that did not get the memo. So that Robert Mitchum movie DVD was selling for up to $250 each until bootleggers started selling copies. Some resellers even passed off the region 2 DVD of the movie as the USA release. When the Criterion DVD of The Killer got sold out after the first printing, no new copies got manufactured and that DVD's price skyrocketed. The DVD of Double Indemnity used to be expensive, short supply and heavy demand, then Universal issued a new DVD of the movie and that was that, no more supply problem.

I dislike movies in CD jewel box cases and I am not alone. You will have a tough time getting anyone to buy your "rare" version of Scarface. For the most part, DVDs are not collectibles, many people are happy to see a movie just once, whether by Netflix rental or streaming video or on a cable channel. That is just the way it is.
Old 04-10-11, 01:32 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrytwo
Your DVD of Scarface is worthless. What makes movie DVDs valuable are limited printings or a DVD getting pulled off the market. The Image DVD of Farewell, My Lovely was pulled from stores on the release date but some got sold on the Internet and from some stores that did not get the memo. So that Robert Mitchum movie DVD was selling for up to $250 each until bootleggers started selling copies. Some resellers even passed off the region 2 DVD of the movie as the USA release. When the Criterion DVD of The Killer got sold out after the first printing, no new copies got manufactured and that DVD's price skyrocketed. The DVD of Double Indemnity used to be expensive, short supply and heavy demand, then Universal issued a new DVD of the movie and that was that, no more supply problem.

I dislike movies in CD jewel box cases and I am not alone. You will have a tough time getting anyone to buy your "rare" version of Scarface. For the most part, DVDs are not collectibles, many people are happy to see a movie just once, whether by Netflix rental or streaming video or on a cable channel. That is just the way it is.
Especially with the Blu-ray a few months away. Sell it now while it's worth more then the price of a new release DVD.
Old 04-11-11, 10:12 PM

*wink wink*

I'm not worried about the blu coming out in a couple months. Purchasing the rare jewel case edition for 20 bucks on e-bay and turning it around for 178 bucks on Best Buys trade in program is pretty nice!

Not sure if that was a typo or an error on their part but a little piece of info that I'm sharing with you guys!

Woot!
Old 04-12-11, 01:17 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

where do you find where to trade in DVD on ther site?

I just found it. I bet they'll change that very quickly after getting some traded in. Has to be some kind of mistake. Nothing great about any other price i looked up.

Last edited by g; 04-12-11 at 01:23 AM.
Old 04-12-11, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Checking the Best Buy trade in site, under Recent Sellers for that particular UPC it states: "Charles from Londonderry, NH will receive $473.11 gift card"

That's pretty awesome for Charles
Old 04-12-11, 05:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow.. nice. I just looked it up too! Apparently Best Buy thinks it's worth something!
Old 04-12-11, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ResIpsa
Checking the Best Buy trade in site, under Recent Sellers for that particular UPC it states: "Charles from Londonderry, NH will receive $473.11 gift card"

That's pretty awesome for Charles
Not really, considering we now know where to go to rob someone of a decent Best Buy gift card.
Old 04-12-11, 05:53 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Best buy takes DVDs now?
Old 04-12-11, 07:47 PM

I had no idea Best Buy had a DVD buy back program. Wonder if there are any other great selling deals to be found there?
Old 04-12-11, 08:11 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

Most of the prices seem the same as amazon offers in their program.
Old 04-12-11, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Add to what everyone has already said the fact that original release was non-anamorphic, and your DVD is doubly worthless.
Old 04-12-11, 08:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Universal released their first 8 titles in the jewel case. Later, all were rereleased in normal dvd cases with the same disc that the jewel case had.
Old 04-12-11, 08:58 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Add to what everyone has already said the fact that original release was non-anamorphic, and your DVD is doubly worthless.
It's not worthless if he manages to get what the Best Buy website is giving for it currently.
Old 04-13-11, 12:03 AM

Like I said. I buy a copy for 20, sell it for 178. Evidently Best Buy does indeed see this as a valuable dvd. More so than I do. Gladly take the 158 dollars and put it towards a new 3DS
Old 04-13-11, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

When the hell did BB start buying used dvds?
Old 04-14-11, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,021 Likes on 843 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Not really, considering we now know where to go to rob someone of a decent Best Buy gift card.
Old 04-27-11, 02:27 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by gerrytwo

I disagree with that how come i see on ebay people bidding up to a $100 for old SC Fi Films from the 50s and 60s that were released over a decade ago with probably not a large production and now out of print.