Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Warrior- Tom Hardy MMA fighter drama

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-11, 05:27 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok..so...I pretty much only knew this existed cuz of it's mention w/ anything The Dark Knight Rises related...cuz it was filmed in Pittsburgh as well.

sooooo...here's a trailer.

<object width="600" height="391"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/38112"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/38112" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="600" height="391" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Well does look pretty big for this...seems like he weighed at 205lbs for this role. What was his weight for Bronson?

An ex-Marine haunted by a tragic past, Tommy Riordan returns to his hometown of Pittsburgh and enlists his father, a recovered alcoholic and his former coach, to train him for an MMA tournament awarding the biggest purse in the history of the sport. As Tommy blazes a violent path towards the title prize, his brother, Brendan, a former MMA fighter unable to make ends meet as a public school teacher, returns to the amateur ring to provide for his family. Even though years have passed, recriminations and past betrayals keep Brendan bitterly estranged from both Tommy and his father.
Anyway...looks like it's well made....I'm not digging into how the tone goes in the trailer. Like...this family emotional drama that goes all the way to the end etc. I wonder if the brothers will love each other in the end? Will the older brother win to get that money? Blah blah. Stuff like that comes up in my mind...the cliche stuff. There's a chance that I'll watch this cuz I'm a fan of Hardy's work so he's yet to displease me.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 04-07-11 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-08-11, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Warrior- Tom Hardy MMA fighter drama

If the reviews are good I might rent this one, but I don't have much hope for it. It looks like yet another movie that takes a cursory glance at a subject and bases a movie upon it. In this case, it's MMA = Boxing + Pro Wrestling.

I'm not the biggest MMA fan in the world, but it just looked unrealistic to the point of turning me off the movie.
Old 04-08-11, 06:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fanboy
If the reviews are good I might rent this one, but I don't have much hope for it. It looks like yet another movie that takes a cursory glance at a subject and bases a movie upon it. In this case, it's MMA = Boxing + Pro Wrestling.

I'm not the biggest MMA fan in the world, but it just looked unrealistic to the point of turning me off the movie.
the fighting looked unrealistic or...the whole premise? Cuz...I'll the give you the premise..sure. The fighting...looks fine EXCEPT for that slam to the ground early in the trailer. I've never seen that happen in an MMA fight...I think. Well wait...I think have...it's just rare I think.
Old 04-09-11, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A better alternative might be to check out the documentary Fightville, from Gunner Palace filmmakers Michael Tucker and Petra Epperlein.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RVC_dCBrqbU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-09-11, 12:31 PM
Banned

I'll find that flick...looks interesting.
Old 04-10-11, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 399 Likes on 267 Posts

As a big Tom Hardy fan and a big MMA fan, I gotta say, this movie looks like shit.
Old 04-10-11, 02:50 PM
Banned

Aren't most MMA fictional story related films pretty bad? Seems like it's a sport that gotten very mainstream and it's getting into a handful of movies....that are shit.
Old 04-11-11, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 399 Likes on 267 Posts

I thought Redbelt was excellent.
Old 04-11-11, 01:17 AM
Banned

I still need to get that on BD.
Old 04-11-11, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
the fighting looked unrealistic or...the whole premise? Cuz...I'll the give you the premise..sure. The fighting...looks fine EXCEPT for that slam to the ground early in the trailer. I've never seen that happen in an MMA fight...I think. Well wait...I think have...it's just rare I think.
I thought the fighting looked fine, unless you were making an MMA movie which, unfortunately, seems to be where the producers are going.

It's like if I wanted to make a movie about firefighters and I had trucks and hoses and hydrants and a bunch of shirtless men because... well, I saw this calendar once and that's enough research for me.

Some other good MMA movies/documentaries: The Smashing Machine, Driven (Jens Pulver) or Hamill.
Old 09-04-11, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just got back from a sneak preview of this -- I really enjoyed it.

Since it will be compared by everyone that sees it to The Fighter anyway, I'll go ahead and say that upon first viewing it might not be better, but it is certainly in the same ball park. The acting, while mostly solid, wasn't the Oscar caliber work we saw by nearly everyone in The Fighter.

Still, the film, overall, was great. First 2/3rds let us get to know all the characters involved so that when it came time for the actual tournament to begin towards the end of the picture, we really had a rooting interest. While it's obvious which brother we should be rooting for, it is very easy to empathize with both of them. Hopefully should pick up some good word of mouth through September and might be one of the fall's surprise hits. The theater I saw it with (about 75% full) seemed to really enjoy it.
Old 09-04-11, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 159 Posts

I fucking enjoyed it and wanted more. This could've easily been a nice 3hr film with more backstory/flashbacks of Hardy's and Uncle Owen's characters.

Also... Batman is going to get his ass kicked.

If you have a chance to see it in DBOX, go for it!
Old 09-04-11, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its so over the top and ridiculous that it actually worked for me... My biggest disappointment is lack of a great training montage but I have to say it was entertaining despite its complete lack of rationality.
Old 09-05-11, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm actually shocked this is getting such good reviews from the major critics as well, given that, yeah it looks like the mma version of The Fighter
Old 09-05-11, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mittman
Just got back from a sneak preview of this -- I really enjoyed it.

Since it will be compared by everyone that sees it to The Fighter anyway, I'll go ahead and say that upon first viewing it might not be better, but it is certainly in the same ball park. The acting, while mostly solid, wasn't the Oscar caliber work we saw by nearly everyone in The Fighter.

Still, the film, overall, was great. First 2/3rds let us get to know all the characters involved so that when it came time for the actual tournament to begin towards the end of the picture, we really had a rooting interest. While it's obvious which brother we should be rooting for, it is very easy to empathize with both of them. Hopefully should pick up some good word of mouth through September and might be one of the fall's surprise hits. The theater I saw it with (about 75% full) seemed to really enjoy it.
I saw it last Wednesday at a special free showing for AMC Stubs Club members. I know absolutely nothing about MMA nor do I want to even after seeing the film. But both my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

It's arguably overlong at 2:20 but it doesn't feel that long. It might've been trimmed a bit here and there. Nick Nolte has his best part in years but for one ill advised plot point that was unnecessary. Both brothers are fine, if not great. Everyone in the cast was up to their roles. It was nice seeing "Cameron" from House.

The reason I thought there was hope for this film was that it was directed by the director of Miracle which was a superior sports film. He scored with this one too.

Mittman said it was obvious which brother we were supposed to be rooting for and I thought so too but I was surprised after it was over to find out my wife was rooting for the other one.

Spoiler:
I was rooting for Brendan, my wife was rooting for Tommy.

A solid 3.5/4.
Old 09-08-11, 06:33 PM
Banned

<object width="600" height="387"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/45174"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/45174" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="600" height="387" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="600" height="387"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/44336"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/44336" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="600" height="387" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 09-09-11, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 209 Likes on 161 Posts

Surprised this is getting so many good reviews.
Old 09-09-11, 05:48 PM
Banned

our DVDtalk guys didn't find it so hot:

Jason Bailey

Tyler Foster
Old 09-09-11, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Surprised this is getting so many good reviews.
People loved The Fighter.
Old 09-11-11, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm so glad I saw this blind- saw it solely on recommended reviews and without having seen the spoiler-rific trailer. If THE FIGHTER could get a Best Picture nom, then I'd hope to see WARRIOR win, as it's the first film I've seen this year that I could immediately see as a contender! Also really loved the use of The National- dang director beat me to the punch of featuring it in my film!
Old 09-11-11, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sure the movie was a little sappy and predictable, but I loved every minute of it. The 2hr 20 mins flew by. I'll be getting it on Blu when it arrives.
Old 09-11-11, 06:26 AM

Received 813 Likes on 529 Posts

Who knew Uncle Owen could fight?!

My wife and I really enjoyed it. It did not seem like 2h20m. Time flew. Tom Hardy is a beast.

I'll be getting the Blu-ray, but only when it hits $10.
Old 09-14-11, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Surprised this isn't getting more comments here.

One of the best movies I've seen this year. Easily.
Old 09-14-11, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"Warrior" is a swiftly paced long movie, but even with a longer running time, it felt like they did skimp on some background character bits here and there, which made for some confusing viewing at times, but overall that first 2/3 of the film does set up the stakes for each brother who enter a MMA tournament from different life paths, and a father whom neither had much love for due to the father's personal demons that undermined any meaningful relationships before the father and the sons.

Overall, it's easily digestible, and the MMA fights were choreographed well, and both principal actors come off credible in the ring.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.
Old 09-19-11, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 386 Likes on 311 Posts

For anyone looking for a deeper trailer, here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/user/czg123#p...13/fHfm5d8bGfQ

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.