Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Album by Album Thread featuring: THE KINKS!!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-11, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I've wanted to start one for awhile. I figure this would be a good time as any. Anyway, I've always been a fan of the band's classic period, which many consider everything from "Face To Face" (1966) through "Muswell Hillbillies" (1971). That run of six albums (seven, if you count "Percy" and I don't...) is considered to be the Gold Standard of the band, and rightfully so. I adore those albums; the rest of my Kinks knowledge stems from compilations like the awesome "The Ultimate Collection" .. except for "Give The People What They Want", which I got on vinyl when I was 11 as "Destroyer" was all over the airwaves in 1981/82.

But the band released 24 albums, various singles and a handful of EPs throughout their recording career. I figure this would be a good opportunity to explore their entire catalog and see what kind of hidden treasures (or forgettable nonsense) can be discovered.

So without further ado....
Old 04-07-11, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Album by Album Thread featuring: THE KINKS!!

Kinks - The Kinks

Original Release Date: October 2, 1964

UK Track Listing
1. Beautiful Delilah
2. So Mystifying
3. Just Can't Go to Sleep
4. Long Tall Shorty
5. I Took My Baby Home
6. I'm a Lover Not a Fighter
7. You Really Got Me
8. Cadillac
9. Bald Headed Woman
10. Revenge
11. Too Much Monkey Business
12. I've Been Driving On Bald Mountain
13. Stop Your Sobbing
14. Got Love If You Want It

2004 Re-Issue Bonus Tracks
15. Long Tall Sally (2/7/64 Single)
16. You Still Want Me (4/17/64 Single)
17. You Do Something to Me (B-Side to "You Still Want Me")
18. It's Alright (8/4/64 B-Side to "You Really Got Me")
19. All Day and All of the Night (10/23/64 Single)
20. I Gotta Move (B-Side to "All Day And All of the Night")
21. Louie, Louie (from the "Kinksize Session" EP)
22. I Gotta Go Now (from the "Kinksize Session" EP)
23. Things Are Getting Better (from the "Kinksize Session" EP)
24. I've Got That Feeling (from the "Kinksize Session" EP)
25. Too Much Monkey Business (Alternate Take)
26. I Don't Need You Any More (Unreleased track)

The Kinks' first LP of the Pye era is pretty remarkable in the fact that its not all that remarkable.

Which is not to say it's a bad album... as a representative of the British Invasion's first wave, it's a hardy mix of blues rock, rockabilly, and that overall Merseybeat flavor that mixes R&B, skiffle, rock, and the like. That unmistakable chime and crunch is all over this album. If you're looking for that British Invasion sound, Kinks is a pretty spot-on album.

The problem is: it really doesn't sound like The Kinks. Mostly. Which is an appropriate criticism; "Please Please Me" isn't emblematic of that quintessential Beatles sound either. But what we have here is mostly the type of Stones or Yardbirds material that sounded better when the Stones or Yardbirds were doing them. There's also the rather frank admission of Beatle-type knockoffs as well. It makes the album less innovative and entirely more imitative.

So is it a good British Invasion album, or a serviceable if unremarkable Kinks album? Mostly both. But I'd be remiss if I left out the stronger material on the album, and the seeds of what would become the bands greatest strengths.

The album was recorded in October 1964, after two initial singles bombed and one absolutely soared. A cover of "Long Tall Sally" has the distinction of being The Kinks's first single ever, and the February 1964 release tanked. Nonetheless, a second release was prepared for April, but "You Still Want Me / You Do Something To Me" failed to make waves in any capacity. But the band was saved by a massively popular and best-selling summertime single, the classic "You Really Got Me" (B-sided with "It's Alright") which dropped that August. With it's crunchy distored guitar riffs, chimey solo, pouding uptempo beat and soaring harmonies, it overnight defined an entire genre. Emboldened by this success, the group was rushed into the studio to record their debut album. Kinks was released in the UK in October of 1964. Session musicians on the album included Bobby Graham on drums and some guy named Jimmy Page who contributed rhythm guitar tracks during these sessions (but did NOT, as commonly believed, perform the solo on "You Really Got Me". That track was recorded a few months earlier)

Eight of the 14 album tracks are covers. As a songwriter, Ray Davies didn't get the biggest opportunity to shine, but his talent is already emerging. The six original songs are kind of fun in and of themselves. "So Mystifying" sounds exactly like the type of material The Stones were cranking out at the same time, and better. Still, it's an OK number if you accept that it doesn't really feel like a Kinks song. Neither does "Just Can't Go To Sleep", a Merseybeat track that reminds me of The Beatles' "I'll Get You". Nonetheless, it's a sweet little song with infectious melodies and a nice vibe. "I Took My Baby Home" is another Merseybeat pop trifle, an energetic harmonica-anchored toe-tapper. A decent little tune. "Revenge" is a rockin' li'l instrumental that is highlighed by more of Ray's upbeat harmonica licks and Dave's crunchy guitar distortion.

The two remaining original songs are the album's most heralded tracks: the aforementioned smash hit "You Really Got Me" and "Stop Your Sobbing". What can I say about the former? It's often referred to as the first hard rock/heavy metal song, or rather, set the blueprint for harder rocking music. It certainly made Pete Townshend stand up and take notice (Townshend was a huge fan of the band and Davies songwriting). The interesting thing is that it sounds like NOTHING ELSE on the album (with maybe the exception of "Revenge"). It's certainly without question the album standout. Ray's voice isn't as affected or as strained. Dave's guitar distortion and solo is epic. The perfectly blended harmonies don't sound as thin as the other album tracks. Given that this track was recorded before the Kinks sessions, it's odd (or maybe refreshing) that they didn't try to springboard off the track's overall sound and feel.

I'm not a huge fan of "Stop Your Sobbing". I find it puzzling and overpraised. The lyrics are no less banal, the melodies no more memorable, than much of the rest of the album. Of the original songs, it might be my least favorite. On the other hand, many other groups would cover the song to great success, most notably The Pretenders in 1979.

Overall, the original material is -- with the exception of "You Really Got Me", which is in a class all its own -- enjoyable but nothing exceptional. Unfortunately they are diluted by a whole slew of cover songs that are, for the most part, forgettable. If you're looking for second-rate covers of Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Slim Harpo, Jay Miller, and traditional songs with dull blues/rock arrangements, you might enjoy the album a whole lot more than I did. Serviceable? Sure. Memorable? Not at all. Tracks like "Beautiful Delilah", "Long Tall Shorty" and "I'm A Lover Not A Fighter" (both sung by Dave Davies), "Cadillac", "Too Much Monkey Business", and "Bald Headed Woman" won't stick in your memory at all. They're OK (except for "Bald Headed Woman", which is all kinds of awful) but entirely skippable and ultimately forgettable. As a snapshot of the type of music that as popular at the time, it works (although there's better examples out there). But as Kinks tracks, you can just zip right by.

Although I do think Dave's rendition of "Got Love If You Want It" is pretty decent. But as the last song of the album proper, it's already too little too late.

Kinks is an interesting artifact but an unessential Kinks album. The original tracks are worth seeking out for fans. Compilations like the outstanding "The Ultimate Collection" package "You Really Got Me" and "Stop Your Sobbing" together with a bunch of other great Kinks tracks, and to be honest with you unless you're a obsessive completist or a hardcore fan, there's no compelling reason to seek out Kinks as an album on its own.

But then we have the 2004 Bonus tracks...

The UK release of Kinks had the 14 previously reviewed tracks. US albums were shorter, and the album was renamed You Really Got Me with only 11 tracks; "I Took My Baby Home", "I'm A Lover Not A Fighter", and "Revenge" were left off. Much like with Beatle releases, a second album was released to the US only entitled Kinks-Size. The album included "I'm A Lover" and "Revenge", as well as two UK singles "All Day And All Of The Night / I Gotta Move" and "Tired Of Waiting For You / Come On Now". Meanwhile in the UK, an EP entitled Kinksize Session was released in November 1964, featuring four new tracks: "Louie Louie", "I Gotta Go Now", "I've Got That Feeling", and "Things Are Getting Better". These four tracks were also included on the US Kinks-Size album, which resulted in a 10-track second album for the US market.

PHEW! Anyway, the 2004 re-release of Kinks contains nearly all of these '64/early '65 non-UK LP releases: singles, B-sides, EP tracks, an alt-take, and an unreleased track. The only exceptions are "Tired of Waiting For You" and "Come On Now", which would be released on the next UK LP.

Of these bonus track, "All Day And All of the Night" is the popular standout. Clearly a track manufactured in the "You Really Got Me" vein, it still succeeds as classic hard rocker with that BI sound. On the other hand, "Long Tall Sally" is perfunctory and unmemorable. You've heard it many times before, and better. The followup single "You Still Want Me", which also didn't do much business, is a stronger effort. It's a little rough but has some interesting musical changes and maintains itself throughout its brief running time. Its B-side "You Do Something For Me" isn't as good but it's a heck of a lot more interesting than the host of uninspired cover songs that litter this release.

"It's Alright" was the B-side to "You Really Got Me", and it's a decent, uptempo blues-rock number, but not a standout. "I Gotta Move" (another B-side, this time to "All Day and All of the Night" is a Stones-esque blues rocker, anchored by memorable jangly guitar licks and a driving drumbeat. Even if it's a bit derivative, but it's a strong track. Moving on to the Kinksize Session EP tracks: "Louie Louie" I'm not even gonna discuss. If you're as sick of the song as I am, or if you still love every second of it, the Kinks cover ain't gonna change your mind one way or the other. "I Gotta Go Now" pretty much just stinks. It's repetitive, droning, and uninspiring. "Things Are Getting Better" is a skiffly/rockabilly monstrosity that is best skipped over. The Merseybeat'ish "I've Got That Feeling" fares better, but it's not really that great a song. But it feels original and fresh, even if it doesn't entirely succeed.

We're finally left with an alt-take of "Too Much Monkey Business". The original is one of those OK-but-forgettable cover songs and this version is no different. On the other hand, the previously unreleased "I Don't Need You Anymore" is pretty good! Fantastic harmonies, songwriting, and a steady driving beat keeps it in the win column.

Overall, Kinks is an average album, but as I mentioned before, on its own it's pretty unessential. The 2004 re-release with bonus tracks makes it a more attractive package, but overall I'd still only recommend for the hardcore fan, completist, or British Invasion aficionado.

Also of note: Kinks was re-released as a brand-new Deluxe Edition in the UK in 2011, with both stereo and mono versions, BBC studio cuts, interview segments, alt takes, and what have you. I figure I'll get around to purchasing it somewhere down the line. But if you want the album the 2004 Edition is still a good way to go.
Old 04-07-11, 03:44 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The best thing about this album is the band's performance, which is appropriately raw. The songwriting isn't really there yet.
Old 04-07-11, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah they had a fast and loose rawness that seemed more spontaneous than the more structured musicality of The Beatles, yet more precise than The Stones.

But the endless covers really don't do anything for me. Fine in and of themselves, but when you know what's coming up, KINKS is a bit of a chore.
Old 04-07-11, 04:18 PM
Banned by request

Agreed. Even "You Really Got Me" is far from their best.
Old 04-07-11, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm a gigantic Kinks fan but I never listened to the first few albums all the way through. Other than the classic early singles, they didn't come into their own until Face to Face.
Old 04-07-11, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was thinking of just starting with Face To Face actually But alas, my OCD won't allow me to...
Old 04-07-11, 07:25 PM
Banned by request

Oh, come on, The Kink Kontroversy is pretty good.
Old 04-07-11, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is, actually. And Kinda Kinks is also a significant step up as well. At least the 2nd album has two bonafide great songs (one of them a masterpiece), and the bonus tracks include a 3rd. But let us not get ahead of ourselves...
Old 04-07-11, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guess I'm the only one who thinks albums like the Kink Kontroversy and Kinda Kinks are the best stuff they ever recorded. I like the late 60s stuff as well (and then lose interest altogether beyond that) but that's a different cup of tea to the raw rhythm and blues rock style early albums. I'm a huge garage rock fan and they influenced a lot of US bands with those albums.
Old 04-07-11, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I was thinking of just starting with Face To Face actually But alas, my OCD won't allow me to...
like some of the garbage they recorded in the 70s and 80s are better than those pre Face to Face albums? That's the stuff I'd like to ignore.

I didn't mention the first album before but I agree it's weak. It's like who's first album- one signature track, a few good tracks, some covers, and a band that really didn't find themselves yet. Their singles of the era are amazing though.

Last edited by statcat; 04-07-11 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-08-11, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by statcat
like some of the garbage they recorded in the 70s and 80s are better than those pre Face to Face albums? That's the stuff I'd like to ignore.

I didn't mention the first album before but I agree it's weak. It's like who's first album- one signature track, a few good tracks, some covers, and a band that really didn't find themselves yet. Their singles of the era are amazing though.
Yes the 5 year period between Percy and Schoolboys in Disgrace is going to be a tough one. You have to be a pretty die hard Kinks fan to find much good stuff in those years. And the 80s arena rock era didn't fare much better.
Old 04-08-11, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually found myself really enjoying "Everybody's In Show-Biz", actually. It's a REALLY strange album, but I couldn't stop listening to it.
Old 04-08-11, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually found myself really enjoying "Everybody's In Show-Biz", actually. It's a REALLY strange album, but I couldn't stop listening to it.
Believe it or not, Pitchfork of all places once gave that album a 9.5, an almost unheard of rating from those rock snobs. I had to dig it up on the Internet Archive because it's no longer on their site.

The Kinks
Everybody's In Showbiz
[Velvel]
Rating: 9.5
1972's Everybody's In Showbiz kicks off with ten new songs, most of which were inspired by RCA's whirlwind press junket after the release of Muswell Hillbillies. To describe the music would be boring because the stars are Ray Davies' lyrics. A few quotes for you:

"Life keeps using me, keeps on abusing me, mentally and physically/ I gotta stay fit, stay alive, need fuel inside, eat food to survive/ Maximum consumption sure keeps running me down." ("Maximum Consumption")

"I said I don't need your fancy cooking/ I like the simple things in life/ Just give me those plain hot potatoes/ And I'll be well satisfied." ("Hot Potatoes")

"You've never seen loos like motorway loos/ Thousands of people passing through/ It's enough to put you off your motorway food/ Motorway food is invariably fried/ It keeps me and feeds me and helps me survive." ("Motorway")

Gee, Ray, get enough to eat on the tour? Of course, Everybody's In Showbiz isn't all hoagies and cream of wheat. It's about the dreams of the have-nots and the downfall of the haves. "Celluloid Heroes", the standout studio cut, is a six- plus minute number about movie stars and the Walk of Fame. It's simple, it's catchy, and I bet the Wallflowers will end up covering it sometime soon. Hear it while you can still associate it with Team Good Music.

The second half of Showbiz is a live show recorded at Carnegie Hall. Along with a whole buncha Kinks songs (most pulled from Muswell Hillbillies, they plow through playful covers of "The Banana Boat Song" and "Baby Face." Shows like this only helped lend creedence to the rumors that these guys loved the sauce (witness Ray's tipsy cabaret take on "Alcohol"). But drunk or not, they were in full bloom at this point in their career. Infectious, sly, brazen, and solidly awesome, this is that pre- Arista Kinks stuff you should be hip to.

-Jason Josephes
Old 04-08-11, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kinda Kinks - The Kinks

Original Release Date: March 5, 1965

UK Track Listing
1. Look for Me Baby
2. Got My Feet on the Ground
3. Nothin' in the World Can Stop Me Worryin' 'Bout That Girl
4. Naggin' Woman
5. Wonder Where My Baby Is Tonight
6. Tired of Waiting for You
7. Dancing in the Street-
8. Don't Ever Change
9. Come on Now
10. So Long
11. You Shouldn't Be Sad
12. Something Better Beginning

2004 Re-Issue Bonus Tracks
13. Ev'rybody's Gonna Be Happy (3/19/65 single)
14. Who'll Be the Next in Line (3/19/65 B-side)
15. Set Me Free (5/21/65 single)
16. I Need You (5/21/65 B-side)
17. See My Friends (7/30/65 single)
18. Never Met a Girl Like You Before (7/30/65 B-side)
19. Wait Till the Summer Comes Along (Kwyet Kinks EP)
20. Such a Shame (Kwyet Kinks EP)
21. A Well Respected Man (Kwyet Kinks EP)
22. Don't You Fret (Kwyet Kinks EP)
23. I Go to Sleep (demo)

Kinda Kinks followed the debut album and the "Kinksize Session" EP, with the band rolling off some serious heat and momentum. As it was, the band was forced to rush the recording sessions to hit a quick release date, and between late 1964 and early 65, recording the album before, during, and after a whirlwind World Tour. Reportedly Ray Davies was not particularly pleased with the album production, and felt that many of its rough edges had been sanded down. Nonetheless, the sonic experience is a huge step forward in comparison with the debut album. It no longer sounds like it was recorded somewhere down the hall, live, into a single microphone.

As an album experience, Kinda Kinks is also a significant step forward in terms of the quality of the songs. For starters, of the 12 album tracks, only 2 are covers. There's much more variety of styles here than the endless blues/mersey/skiffle rock riffing of the previous LP. The band was slowly but surely beginning to gel into The Kinks as an original band, and not just another nameless British Invasion group. The shuffle and swing of Look For Me Baby opens the album as to assure the listener that the group has evolved. It's not the greatest song, but its already a head taller than its previous album brethren. Got My Feet On The Ground, unfortunately, feels a little regressive. Unmemorable mid-60s blues/skiffle-rock. Nothing to see here.

As almost an apology, The Kinks first masterpiece comes next with the folky, acoustic-driven Nothin' in the World Can Stop Me Worryin' 'Bout That Girl. Prominently featured in the 1998 Wes Anderson film "Rushmore" (where I first heard and fell in love with it). Everything about this track simply works, and works beautifully: the songwriting, the production, the musicality, the tenor that matches the melancholia of the subject matter. It has one foot in the BI sound, and a bigger foot in the type of songs for which The Kinks would soon become renown. Without question, this is the album standout.

Oy, here comes another blues cover. Much like "Act Naturally" destroyed the ambience of "Yesterday" on The Beatles' American "Yesterday & Tomorrow" LP, Naggin' Woman is a slow bluesy number that, again, it's alright but NOTHING special. Similar can be said of Wonder Where My Baby Is Tonight, an original song which is better than the previous track, but not a standout. Still, in terms of batting averages we're ahead of the debut album, and this lead is further cemented by the exquisite Tired Of Waiting For You, another "Oldies Radio" standard. I love Ray's vocal delivery on this song, the jangling guitar riffs, the way it builds and drops. It's definitely cemented in all the conventions of 1965 era Britpop, but it manages to rise above similiar-minded songs.

An absolutely pointless cover of Dancing In The Streets comes next. Move right along. Don't Ever Change is a bit of an uptempo Mersey ballad which is surprisingly enjoyable, given its simplistic, sometimes dopey lyrical content. Even the equally dopey Come On Now has a goofy charm; is it the back-and-forth vocals on the chorus or the anchoring chimey guitar lick? Who knows... it's a fun little tune though.

In a similar style to Nothin' in the World... we have So Long, which, while not as strong a song, is still a confident and mature work from a band that, scant months earlier, was cranking out Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley covers. You Shouldn't Be Sad, on the other hand, is pretty forgettable, as is Something Better Beginning. As both songs close the album, it's pretty clear that these lesser tracks were relegated to the rear.

So Kinda Kinks is a definite improvement. Only half the album is forgettable filler this time around, with one undeniable masterpiece in Nothin' in the World and a great song in Tired Of Waiting, and several other songs which are enjoyable enough on their own, if not standouts. The band's growth curve is clearly expanding, there's a sense of variety and diversity of style that was sorely missing from before. While I don't think Kinda Kinks is an essential album by any means whatsoever, it's still worth seeking out by Kinks faithful.

BONUS TRACKS

The first 1965 single, Ev'rybody's Gonna Be Happy is an annoying pop pile of nothingness. It's almost like generic 1960s dance music you might find in a generic 60s Disney beach film. Who'll Be The Next In Line, the B-side, fares a little better, but it's musically unimpressive and feels lazy and rough-sounding.

The next 1965 single, Set Me Free is more memorable, a minor-key shuffle with a haunting bridge and a catchy chorus. The B-side, I Need You, is more in the style of "You Really Got Me" and "All Day and All of the Night". Not as good as those two songs. It almost feels like Generic Early Kinks Music. Skippable.

See My Friends, the summer 1965 single, shows how in front of the curve the band was when it came to incorporating Eastern/Indian cadences into their music (Norwegian Wood was MONTHS away!) This is a great single, said to have been inspired from a walk Ray took in Mumbai, listening to the morning songs and chants from local fishermen. Moving on to the B-side, Never Met A Girl Like You Before will make you think your listening to "Tired of Waiting" with its almost identical opening lick. Fat chance. It turns into a generic mid-60s rock song with nothing of any interest held within.

Jangling 12-string fretwork opens up the first track from the "Kwyet Kinks EP", Wait Till the Summer Comes Along. Decent song with a strong folk influence, almost a Dylan tune. Such A Shame, on the other hand, is pretty weak. Repetitive and flat, it's eminently skippable.

The jaunty, exceptional Well Respected Man brings things back, another standout from The Kinks early period. Skewering the conventions of the British upper classes, it really is vintage Kinks material in both lyrics and music. I also enjoy Don't You Fret quite a bit; the instrumental build-up in the center of the song feels kinda epic.

Finally we have a sometimes-rough demo of I Go To Sleep, a haunting piano tune which would have made Kinda Kinks a heck of a lot more interesting. It's dark, obsessive, and more than a bit disturbing. Would have loved its inclusion on the album proper. It went on to be covered by Peggy Lee, The Applejacks, Cher, and The Pretenders.

Again of note: Kinda Kinks was re-released as a brand-new Deluxe Edition in the UK in 2011, with both stereo and mono versions, BBC studio cuts, alt takes, and what have you. I figure I'll get around to purchasing it somewhere down the line. But if you want the album the 2004 Edition is still a good way to go.

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 04-08-11 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-08-11, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Other than the obvious classics: Tired of Waiting for You and the Bonus Tracks See My Friends, I Go to Sleep and A Well Respected Man... Kinda Lame.
Old 04-08-11, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No love for "Nothin' in the World Can Stop Me Worryin' 'Bout That Girl"?
Old 04-08-11, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No love for "Nothin' in the World Can Stop Me Worryin' 'Bout That Girl"?
Is that really considered a great song? I mean lyrically it's about as lame a song as Ray Davies ever wrote.

Met a girl, fell in love, glad as I can be
Met a girl, fell in love, glad as I can be
But I think all the time, is she true to me?
'Cause there's nothing in this world to stop me worryin' 'bout that girl

I found out I was wrong, she was just two timing
I found out I was wrong, she just kept on lying
Now she tries to tell the truth, and I just can't believe

Tell me who can I turn to, just who can I believe?
Tried to put her out of my mind, she'll only cause me grief
I love that girl, whatever she's done, you know it hurts me deeply

I know she's been with other fellas, why does she keep on lying?
It hurts me so when she says nothing, I really feel like dying
I ache inside until I think[?], I know it's just my pride
Old 04-08-11, 06:01 PM
Banned by request

I haven't listened to this one in forever. Going to have to give it another whirl.
Old 04-08-11, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cungar
Is that really considered a great song? I mean lyrically it's about as lame a song as Ray Davies ever wrote.
Combined with the music, it succeeds. Impeccably IMO. But it's all good.
Old 04-08-11, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really like most of the songs on the 2004 reissue.

I Need You is awesome, garage rock standard. Zakary Thaks do a good version of it.

Come on Now is one of my favorite kinks song and this came from it further confirming its greatness.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TLPJFjO1Jms" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-08-11, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

See My Friends, the summer 1965 single, shows how in front of the curve the band was when it came to incorporating Eastern/Indian cadences into their music (Norwegian Wood was MONTHS away!) This is a great single, said to have been inspired from a walk Ray took in Mumbai, listening to the morning songs and chants from local fishermen.
"July, 1965 In England, the KINKS and the YARDBIRDS both record tracks ("See My Friend" and "Still I'm Sad", respectively) that are often included in psychedelic chronologies. While their slightly experimental, Eastern-tinged sound are close to what some psych bands would later create, the intent behind these classics can hardly be called psychedelic in any formal sense, and the bands had no involvement with psychedelic substances at this point. "See My Friend" and "Still I'm Sad", and the Rolling Stones' "Paint It Black" (released May 1966) could be called 'accidental psych', and were important records that helped influence and validate what would follow."
Old 04-08-11, 08:10 PM
Banned by request

I checked my collection, and it turns out I don't own this album at all. No wonder I couldn't remember anything about it.
Old 04-08-11, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^I think it's worth picking up. I listened to it again on the drive home and enjoyed it, spotty as it is. The bonus tracks make it more worthwhile, although you will definitely be doing some cherrypicking. I freakin' LOVE the I Go To Sleep demo track, something I never heard before until I gave this album a listen.
Old 04-11-11, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Kink Kontroversy - The Kinks

Original Release Date: November 26, 1965

Track Listing
1. Milk Cow Blues
2. Ring the Bells
3. Gotta Get the First Plane Home
4. When I See That Girl of Mine
5. I Am Free
6. Till the End of the Day
7. The World Keeps Going Round
8. I'm on An Island
9. Where Have All the Good Times Gone
10. It's Too Late
11. What's in Store for Me
12. You Can't Win

Bonus Tracks
13. Dedicated Follower of Fashion
14. Sittin' on My Sofa
15. When I See That Girl of Mine (Demo version)
16. Dedicated Follower of Fashion (Alternate stereo take)

So here we are in late 1965, and The Kinks have been effectively banned from performing the US, reportedly due to onstage fights and antics and what-not. But since the release of the previous LP ("Kinda Kinks"), the band had remained quite active. Aside from constant touring and recording, they managed to release the "Kwyet Kinks" EP in the UK, the hit singles "Set Me Free" and "Well Respected Man", the latter of which was a single in the US and a hit for the band. The performance ban in the US would radically change the sound and direction of the band in ways probably they (or there fans) never expected. But we're getting ahead of ourselves...

The Kink Kontroversy continues the band's evolution from generic Brit-Invasion blues/skiffle/Mersey group to a unique creative band. But not entirely. There are still echoes of their "generic" past that haunt this album, but at the same time there is enough of Ray Davies's creative spirit to mark the album as a significant turning point. The opening Milk Cow Blues is a blues standard, a throwback to the first two albums but at least it's energetic and spirited enough whereas other covers seemed bland and unimpressive. Still, it *does* feel needless on an album that has the dark, haunting, acoustic-driven Ring The Bells, one of the album's standout tracks. Gotta Get The First Plane Home is anchored one of Dave's funkiest riffs to date, but the song is middling.

I dig the earnestness of When I See That Girl Of Mine, it has some fun vocal work and a driving beat. Hearing it, you can totally see the palpable influence The Kinks on powerpop bands like Big Star, The Smithereens, etc. Switching to 3/4 time, we move on to I Am Free, another reasonable pop song that definitely isn't a standout but an agreeable album cut. Even more agreeable is the superb Till The End Of The Day, which has all the driving energy of "You Really Got Me" or "All Day And All Of The Night" without feeling or sounding derivative of either. Simply put, it's a classic pop track and another album standout.

The rolling, "Ticket To Ride"-esque drum beat drives The World Keeps Going Round, but the song doesn't do much for me. It's straight filler for the album, nothing bad but definitely skippable. On the other hand, the sunny calypso beat that provides the background to I'm On An Island belies the song's stark loneliness and desparation, making for a memorable song. This is Davies demonstrating his showmanship, introspection, and ability to take incongruous styles and making them work.

I probably am familiar with Where Have All The Good Times Gone more from the Van Halen cover than the song itself. It's definitely a stronger album cut, and I'll give it recognition as a "classic" song. But I definitely prefer listening to "Ring The Bells", "Till The End Of The Day", or "I'm On An Island" on this album. It's Too Late is OK but unmemorable; sounds more like vintage Stones than Kinks proper, but as a midtempo blues rocker it acquits itself fine. Fine piano solo, though. What's In Store For Me is something of a bore, both musically and lyrically. Don't like it. The final album track, You Can't Win, is pure Davies fatalism set to a steady beat, and it ends the album on a good if not entirely memorable note.

While The Kink Kontroversy isn't a quantum step forward like the last album, it continues to show artistic growth and the band's gelling cohesion as an album-oriented group. Plus it has their coolest album cover, by FAR, up to this point (including the EPs), as Sleater-Kinney would attest to years later. I would hesitate to call it an essential album, but it's easily the most impressive of their releases up to (but not including) their next album.

BONUS TRACKS

Not a whole lot to be found here. We have the February 1966 single Dedicated Follower of Fashion, a Top 5 UK single. Skewering the mod/fashion scene, it's indicative of Ray's skills as a pop-culture satirist in his songwriting. It's a twee, cute little song, almost like a novelty tune. I prefer the B-side, Sittin' On My Sofa, which is nothing but a full-fledged extrapolation/interpretation of 60s R&B. Maybe a bit repetitive, but a winning track nonetheless. Completing the bonus tracks are a demo version of "When I See That Girl Of Mine" and an alt-stereo take of "Dedicated Follower". Nice to have, for completists and curious alike, I suppose. Who wants cake?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.