Old 04-04-11, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,529 Posts
The Confession (Kiefer Sutherland) -- "Chapters 4-5" -- 04/04/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-03-27

Now on Hulu.com

Chapter 4:

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/x8EPVuDEshACsQUtYaTorQ"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/x8EPVuDEshACsQUtYaTorQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="288" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

TRT: 5:19

Chapter 5:

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/0oy-IyTNjMdeFV-cNASikQ"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/0oy-IyTNjMdeFV-cNASikQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="288" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

TRT: 5:38

Brad Mirman said on Twitter a few days ago that if these episodes continue to rate high in clicks/watches on Hulu.com, they might greenlight a 2nd season.
Old 04-04-11, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: The Confession (Kiefer Sutherland) -- "Chapters 4-5" -- 04/04/11

Pretty solid 2 episodes today.

Kiefer and John Hurt are really solid acting off each other. I agree with Fist of Doom last week that this series is essentially a 2 man play.

I enjoyed Confessor and Priest's debate on who has the right to live or die in episode 1.

The 2nd episode was Confessor making another hit and having the little boy involved was quite intense. at Priest antagonizing Confessor about his childhood. Kudos to Sean Callery's score for making 5 1/2 minutes have some dramatic tension.

Was surprised that Hulu posted 2 episodes this week. Hopefully they will post 2 again next week because these episodes are so damn short. But, I think this is a case where less is more.
Old 04-04-11, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I enjoyed Confessor and Priest's debate on who has the right to live or die in episode 1.
Same here. It's great that they don't have to rely on action or violence to sustain the chapter and that dialogue alone still retains our interest. The writing is definitely top-notch; comes off as a pretty authentic conversation I'd say. The Confessor viewing his actions as a way to ensure justice was done was an interesting development for the character.

The 2nd episode was Confessor making another hit and having the little boy involved was quite intense.
I loved the look that Kiefer Sutherland gave after the father had to yell at his son to go back to bed; as though he knew that if he killed the guy right then and there, the last thing the son would remember of his father was being yelled at.

at Priest antagonizing Confessor about his childhood.
That actually caught me off guard. It was nice to see the Priest go on the offensive instead of letting the Confessor control the conversation. You sort of got the feeling that the Priest was pulling from all of his experiences and using them against the Confessor at that point.

Kudos to Sean Callery's score for making 5 1/2 minutes have some dramatic tension.
Seriously. It's surprising that in less than six minutes how tense the episode becomes, and the score doesn't beat you over the head with it, but comes in at all the right times and accentuates the acting and dialogue.

Was surprised that Hulu posted 2 episodes this week. Hopefully they will post 2 again next week because these episodes are so damn short. But, I think this is a case where less is more.
I was pleased to see two more episodes. They're definitely doing a great job of leaving you wanting more each time. Nice to hear it's been getting a lot of views. I wonder what a Second Season would even entail if they wanted to do one?
Old 04-04-11, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

not much action, but the dialogue is so great!

Is this web series Emmy-eligible?
Old 04-04-11, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog won "Outstanding Special Class - Short-format Live-Action Entertainment Programs," a Creative Arts Emmy Award. I imagine The Confession would be nominated in that category or a similar one.
Old 04-05-11, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I liked how the Priest and the Confessor kept turning the tables on each other. We finally saw some vulnerability in the Confessor when the Priest brought up his childhood.

It's pretty impressive how much drama they're packing into these short episodes.
Old 04-05-11, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk God

This is a good read. Brad Mirman is pissed off. Apparently people overseas have been pirating The Confession off Hulu since they haven't secured international rights yet. I agree with him 100%

http://bradmirman.com/2011/04/05/the...son-ii-is.aspx
Old 04-05-11, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For the lazy:

Originally Posted by Brad Mirman
Okay, the first thing I want to tell you is that the above statement isn't true. The second thing is: How did it make you feel to read that?

I have been overwhelmed with twitter posts and emails since the release of the confession by people overseas who support the piracy and stealing (let's not mince words here) of the show. Kiefer, myself and the producers worked very hard to bring this show to you. Just because it hasn't come out fast enough for many of you overseas, many of you feel you have the right to steal it... and making unauthorized copies and distributing them on the web is nothing less than stealing.

I have heard the arguments -- that since is is not available overseas yet it is our fault and those who are copying it and posting are just doing a public service. They want to watch it now and feel there is nothing wrong in making copies of copyrighted material and giving it away. To them I would ask: If you saw a car you liked would you just take it? Would you walk into a DVD store and steal a copy of a movie because it wasn't released in your home country yet?

For the most part people have been very respectful of the show that we have made, but to those of you think you are doing us a service by distributing THE CONFESSION to the world, I would point out that it is not YOUR decision to make. You are stealing. The producers invested a lot of money in bringing the The Confession to you. They have a right to make back the money they invested -- and those of you who are posting these illegal videos are taking money away from them. In the end this is a business and if enough people watch the bootleg copies and it hurts the shows performance then there could be a very real chance that there will not be a Season Two.

So, before you watch an illegal copy, take a moment and think... do you want another Season of The Confession? If you do I would urge you report unauthorized copies and write emails those who post them.

My two cents

Brad
I get his frustration, but I disagree with him. When I first read that people were pirating/bootlegging it, I thought they were selling episodes. But it sounds like they're just taking what is already up for free on Hulu and making it available elsewhere. I guess they're missing out on potential future ad revenue, but I don't know...

I don't think what people are doing in this situation is analogous to someone stealing a car or a DVD. The DVD example is particularly laughable, because if you are in a store where the DVD is being sold, even if it is Region-Locked, you still have legitimate access to it.

I personally disagree with downloading music and movies on moral and economic grounds. It is stealing when you get right down to it and I have no problem paying for something someone has created; it's a service, like any other. The problem is, the home media market should be adapting to the availability of things online, but they seem too stuck in their ways to care. Not that that should be a justification for stealing, but I get why it started and continues to persist. And for what it's worth, if I miss a show on FX, I'll find it online and watch it and I have no qualms about that; I'll likely pick up the DVD or Blu-ray anyway, so it's not like they're losing money on my end.

But all of that, downloading albums and movies and television shows; that is actually a fair comparison to stealing. I get that when you watch a show somewhere other than broadcast or Hulu or the actual show's website, that they lose out on the ad revenue, but that just feels like such a stretch. Once something hits DVD or Blu-ray, I get it; but as long as it is technically free on-the-air or on Hulu, etc., I'm just not going to care all that much if people post it on certain video sites.

This show in particular though was created solely for the internet. It just seems even more of a stretch to say that the people who are "pirating" something that is already free on the internet are stealing it.

Last edited by kstublen; 04-05-11 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-05-11, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk God

His examples are ridiculous, but I get his point. The Confession is a free online web series supported by Ad Revenue from Hulu.com. It will eventually make it's way online Legally for free to the International market, but alot of people overseas just aren't patient enough. Noone is paying a dime for it other than sitting through a 10-30 second spot before it. The more people who click/watch it off Hulu will generate money that will support a 2nd season, which he seems to want to do. The more people who watch illegal streams, chances are the less people will watch the legal stream whether it's 1 month or 5 months from now. Seems like alot of foreigners absolutely have to watch American shows in sync with us.

I think Brad is more pissed off about people from Europe, Canada sending him Tweets bragging that they watched it off an illegal stream ahead of the rest. Hell I would be pissed too.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-05-11 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-05-11, 09:17 PM

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts

Really liking these latest two installments If only this were a full-length show...
Old 04-06-11, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
If only this were a full-length show...
...it wouldn't be this good.