Mildred Pierce -- HBO Miniseries -- "Part 3" -- 04/03/11

Old 04-03-11, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,529 Posts
Mildred Pierce -- HBO Miniseries -- "Part 3" -- 04/03/11

Mildred Pierce Poster (Higher Res)

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Part 3 of 5. Despite suffering a great personal loss, Mildred opens her restaurant, which, thanks to help from Ida and Lucy, becomes the talk of the town after a slow start. Meanwhile, Mildred grows impatient with the carefree Monty's expensive tastes and casual approach to Veda's upbringing.

Episode 3 of 5

Trailer for Part 3:

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hbo.com/bin/hboPlayerV2.swf?vid=1169573"></param><param name="FlashVars" value="domain=http://www.hbo.com&videoTitle=Preview Part 3&copyShareURL=http%3A//www.hbo.com/video/video.html/%3Fautoplay%3Dtrue%26vid%3D1169573%26filter%3Dmildred-pierce%26view%3Dnull"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.hbo.com/bin/hboPlayerV2.swf?vid=1169573" FlashVars="domain=http://www.hbo.com&videoTitle=Preview Part 3&copyShareURL=http%3A//www.hbo.com/video/video.html/%3Fautoplay%3Dtrue%26vid%3D1169573%26filter%3Dmildred-pierce%26view%3Dnull" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="512" height="288"></embed></object>

Loved the premiere last week.

Good Christ, Sunday is really busy!!
Old 04-03-11, 03:56 PM

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Re: Mildred Pierce -- HBO Miniseries -- "Part 3" -- 04/03/11

Caught up with last week's premiere this afternoon -- good stuff! Very loyal to the novel, which is what I was hoping for.
Old 04-03-11, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Just noticed that Part 3 starts at 9:15pm ET/PT. It runs 75 minutes.
Old 04-03-11, 07:52 PM

Yup, it's preempted by a 15-min preview of Game of Thrones.
Old 04-03-11, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wife and I gave the first episode about 20 minutes. We both got bored and gave up.
Old 04-03-11, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
The wife and I gave the first episode about 20 minutes. We both got bored and gave up.
Just curious, do you like period dramas like this? I didn't find the 2 hours last week boring at all. The story about Mildred really picked up in hour 2. I mean this is a 5 hour miniseries about a women struggling to survive and care for her children in the 1930's. Or were you more curious to check it out because of Winslet? I know this genre doesn't appeal to everyone.
Old 04-03-11, 11:54 PM

Hard to believe they filmed this in New York. (Although the scene of Monty and Mildred driving to Santa Barbara in last week's episode looked a lot like the East coast more than the West).
Old 04-04-11, 12:37 AM

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

This is fantastic and I can't wait to watch the conclusion next week. Having only seen the melodramatic Joan Crawford version before this feels like a completely different story.

Those who were scared off by the first slow moving hour of establishing the characters and setting up the storyline are missing out on a first rate show. HBO was probably wise to schedule the 2nd hour together with the first.

Everything about this is first rate from the score to the production design and Kate Winslet is so good I think in the future this will be seen as the definitive version.

I happened to just watch her in 'The Reader' a few weeks ago and now seeing her in this makes me realize how great an actress she really is. Meryl Streep eat your heart out, Winslet surely ought to get an Emmy off this! And I've never seen a woman looking more beautiful in her prime. Its hard to believe she's had 3 kids. She looks fantastic.

Guy Pearce is wonderfully sleazy. Don't we all wish we had a friend like Melissa Leo's character advising us to sleep around and peddle liquor! And the girl playing her daughter Veda in Parts 1 to 3 perfectly plays her role as the young spoiled 'superbitch' in training. (Egads and little fishes!)

But the most fun supporting role goes to Mare Winningham who I almost didn't recognize chewing up the scenery with her transplanted Boston accent as the best waitress in LA

Poor Poor Mildred! I can't wait to see what lies in store for her in the finale!
Old 04-04-11, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Wow, another fantastic episode. Lots of character development as Mildred transitioned to running and operating her restaurant. Kate Winslet is just awesome again. The costumes, score and set design are top notch.

It's interesting to see what a really dysfunctional Mildred has with Veda and with Monty. Monty appears to be free loading off her and using her for sex while Veda is simply just an obnoxious spoiled brat. The confrontation that she and Mildred had during the Christmas scene was top notch acting and directing. at Veda's reaction at only getting a watch from Mildred. I really wanted to smack her upside the head at how unappreciative she was.

Loved the line when Mildred paid Monty $20 and he said.."Your Gigolo thanks you." And that really pissed her off.

And the show does a good job shooting really tasteful yet sexy love scenes. The scene where Monty used his feet for foreplay and the sex scene after their argument in the bedroom were both well shot.

I have to wonder how much $46.30 in 1 nights earning translates in 2011 money. I heard Mildred say they were selling those Chicken and Waffle plates for 85 cents each.
Old 04-04-11, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by bluesix
This is fantastic and I can't wait to watch the conclusion next week. Having only seen the melodramatic Joan Crawford version before this feels like a completely different story.

Those who were scared off by the first slow moving hour of establishing the characters and setting up the storyline are missing out on a first rate show. HBO was probably wise to schedule the 2nd hour together with the first.

Everything about this is first rate from the score to the production design and Kate Winslet is so good I think in the future this will be seen as the definitive version.

I happened to just watch her in 'The Reader' a few weeks ago and now seeing her in this makes me realize how great an actress she really is. Meryl Streep eat your heart out, Winslet surely ought to get an Emmy off this! And I've never seen a woman looking more beautiful in her prime. Its hard to believe she's had 3 kids. She looks fantastic.

Guy Pearce is wonderfully sleazy. Don't we all wish we had a friend like Melissa Leo's character advising us to sleep around and peddle liquor! And the girl playing her daughter Veda in Parts 1 to 3 perfectly plays her role as the young spoiled 'superbitch' in training. (Egads and little fishes!)

But the most fun supporting role goes to Mare Winningham who I almost didn't recognize chewing up the scenery with her transplanted Boston accent as the best waitress in LA

Poor Poor Mildred! I can't wait to see what lies in store for her in the finale!

Yeah, this was boring for the first 5 minutes of the show, and the next 3 hours were captivating. Just went through for my second time, and I love it even more....and I'm not a big period piece fan.

This miniseries is just really really good.
Old 04-04-11, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya

And the show does a good job shooting really tasteful yet sexy love scenes. The scene where Monty used his feet for foreplay and the sex scene after their argument in the bedroom were both well shot.

Kate Winslet is just the perfect woman......in so many ways.
Old 04-04-11, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Kate Winslet is just the perfect woman......in so many ways.
I think she is one of the few actresses who can really sell playing a woman from the 1930's-40's.

Mildred's plight to have a business, control her bratty daughter and have a relationship with a man with questionable motives is quite compelling. I'm just surprised though that Mildred is loaning/giving money to Monty since they have barely been dating a few months? in the show's timeline.
Old 04-04-11, 07:17 AM

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

And I've never seen a woman looking more beautiful in her prime. Its hard to believe she's had 3 kids. She looks fantastic.
She only has two kids - a girl and a boy (Mia & Joe).
Old 04-05-11, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And the girl playing her daughter Veda in Parts 1 to 3 perfectly plays her role as the young spoiled 'superbitch' in training. (Egads and little fishes!)
Actually, she's really toned down from the Crawford film, and that was toned down from the novel. In the book when Mildred spanks Veda, Veda gets off on it -- she wants to be a poor, put-upon girl whose mother persecutes her.
Old 04-05-11, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, I did not recognize her at all.

Have to admit that I almost gave up in the first hour, but I'm glad I stuck with it. Winslet is excellent as always, and I'd love to slap that Theda.
I know that the first episode didn't get a huge rating, but expect a slew of Emmy nominations.
Old 04-05-11, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Ida was Mare Winningham!

Wow, I did not recognize her at all. She was on an episode of Grey's Anatomy about 2-3 years ago and was more recognizable then.
Old 04-05-11, 02:47 PM

Does anyone know the name of the composer and piano piece that was playing through Mildred's and Monty's couch sex scene? We see Veda playing it at the piano in a later shot and when Mildred is driving her car after. Chopin, Rachmaninov?
Old 04-05-11, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Shit! I saw 1 and 2 but I think I missed 3.
Old 04-05-11, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Shit! I saw 1 and 2 but I think I missed 3.
It will re-air throughout the week. If you have access to HBO on Demand, you can watch it there too.

Sunday is the 2 hour finale.
Old 04-05-11, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 980 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by museovac
Does anyone know the name of the composer and piano piece that was playing through Mildred's and Monty's couch sex scene? We see Veda playing it at the piano in a later shot and when Mildred is driving her car after. Chopin, Rachmaninov?
If you post the couch scene, we might be able to identify it for you
Old 04-05-11, 10:09 PM

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
In the book when Mildred spanks Veda, Veda gets off on it -- she wants to be a poor, put-upon girl whose mother persecutes her.
Thanks for posting this. Ever since watching the Joan Crawford version years ago for some course I took at USC I have wondered what this character's motivation was to torture her mother (Those who have seen the story already know how far she ends up going!)

I wish I had time to read the book now that you describe this as some sort of fetish wish fulfillment strategy.

All this time I just figured Veda was meant to be a twist on the 'femme fatale' role found in other film-noir movies from this era.
Old 04-06-11, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya
It will re-air throughout the week. If you have access to HBO on Demand, you can watch it there too.

Sunday is the 2 hour finale.
Make sure you set your DVR for longer than the allotted 1 hr, 15 mins.

Part 3 runs about 1 hour, 6 minutes. But if they are still adding that 15 minute Game of Thrones preview beforehand, then it will get cut off before it's over.
Old 04-07-11, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 697 Likes on 569 Posts

Just wished maybe they could have stretched this into a series with maybe 12 or 13 shows.

Next week we will finally see Evan Rachel Wood

Old 04-07-11, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk God

James Cain's Paperback is about 300 pages long. I don't think there would be enough material to translate this into a 10-13 episode series. I think 5 episodes is already a suitable length. Sometimes less is more.
Old 04-07-11, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by museovac

One piece featured is Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu in C sharp minor; later, Veda plays Rachmaninov's Prelude in C sharp minor Opus 3/2