Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

AMC Officially Renews Mad Men for 2 seasons w/ option for 7th (Weiner signs on)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-31-11, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,529 Posts

http://www.deadline.com/2011/03/matt...-more-seasons/

New York – March 31, 2011 – AMC and Lionsgate today announced the return of the iconic series "Mad Men" for seasons five and six with series creator Matthew Weiner back on board as showrunner. Concurrently, it was announced that Weiner has signed a new long-term deal with Lionsgate, extending into a possible seventh season. The announcements were made by Charlie Collier, president of AMC, and Kevin Beggs, president of Lionsgate Television Group.
Weiner signed a new 3-year contract worth between $25-30M
Old 03-31-11, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: AMC Officially Renews Mad Men for 2 seasons w/ option for 7th (Weiner signs on)

No cast cuts.

The season premiere and finale will run 47 minutes with no commercials. All other episodes will run 45 minutes.
Old 03-31-11, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: AMC Officially Renews Mad Men for 2 seasons w/ option for 7th (Weiner signs on)

From the article it would seem that there won't be any cuts to the cast, the 1st and 13th episodes will be 47 minutes with the 2nd through 12th episodes will be 45 minutes (though Weiner will also be shooting 47 minute episodes for VOD and other formats), and no word on the extra product placement. I think keeping the cast intact was a huge win for the show.

*edit - DJariya beat beat me to the punch.

Last edited by malichai; 03-31-11 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Too slow
Old 03-31-11, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Glad to hear this.
Old 03-31-11, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does 45 and 47 minutes really mean anything?
Old 03-31-11, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
does 45 and 47 minutes really mean anything?
To the show's creators, it means more artistic freedom.

To the network, that's six 30-second spots sold at tens of thousands of dollars.
Old 03-31-11, 07:56 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Can't wait. Season four was the best they've done since season one.
Old 03-31-11, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Can't wait. Season four was the best they've done since season one.
Definitely interested to see where they continue to go with everything changing..
Old 03-31-11, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A. V. CLUB

AMC renews Mad Men for two seasons, signs three-season deal with Matt Weiner

by Todd VanDerWerff March 31, 2011

It’s been a trying couple of weeks for Mad Men fans, what with intimations that the show might continue without creator and showrunner Matthew Weiner in a fashion where two cast members were written off every season, until the only two remaining were an endlessly sozzled Don Draper and the corpse of Miss Blankenship, but Deadline and Variety have good news for those who love the AMC drama: The network and Weiner have agreed to a deal that will keep the show on the air for at least two more seasons (through season six) and will likely lead to a third additional season, since AMC will already have Weiner under contract anyway. The deal is specifically for two more seasons of the show, but AMC has signed Weiner through a potential seventh season. His deal is reportedly worth $25-$30 million. Cast salary negotiations, then, would seem to be the only thing getting in the way of that potential seventh year.

The terms of the deal, according to Deadline, will see Mad Men episodes that hit the air run two minutes shorter (down to a 45-minute running time from a 47-minute one), with the longer versions going up on video on-demand services. The fifth season premiere and finale will also run the 47 minutes the previous four seasons had been scheduled at. The fifth season also won’t feature any of the much-feared potential cast cuts, so fans of Kiernan Shipka’s Sally Draper can rejoice. (The children are always the first to go!) There was no news on product integration, but whether that was a part of the deal or not will likely become immediately obvious in the season five premiere when Don picks up a Budweiser, downs it in one gulp, then says, “Smooth.” (“And so filling!” adds Peggy. WELL, THIS MAD MEN FAN FICTION WON’T WRITE ITSELF.)

AMC recently confirmed that the fifth season will begin in 2012. The deal would likely peg the premiere date as landing sometime in the first four months of the year.

Update: Hitfix's Alan Sepinwall has more information on the product integration issue: It will continue to be a part of the show (as it has been in the past) but may become more... obvious. On the other hand, Sepinwall's source says the use of it will continue to be "organic," whatever that means. Sepinwall's source also says there will be a one-time budget reduction before season six begins, which could presumably be solved by cutting cast members down to recurring players (or eliminating them entirely) but could also be solved in other ways, perhaps including Weiner making all of the costumes himself in his spare time.
- To the news of Mad Men coming back with Weiner.

- To the news of Mad Men not coming back until 2012.
Old 03-31-11, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk God

and to top it off, my BD of season 4 just came in the mail today from Amazon. Great day to be a Mad Men fan.

I'm sure Weiner is going to shoot episodes like he did in previous seasons and just edit down the extra 2 minutes for AMC, but keep it intact as 47 minutes for "Extended Cut" episodes for the DVD/BD release of season 5.
Old 03-31-11, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great news. The show left off in late 1965, so with two more seasons, the firm will be dealing with the Counterculture. Should be really interesting.

I'm glad Weiner insisted on no cast changes. They already whittled the cast down and reduced screen time for some.
Old 03-31-11, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts

Great news (except for the delay, which was expected bynow). Still, a good resolution for my favorite show still in production.

But seriously, AMC, you couldn't have swung this exact same deal nine months ago?
Old 03-31-11, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 203 Posts

Good news, but now I will wait a while to pick up the S4 BD.
Old 03-31-11, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts

Great! Now make a similar deal for Breaking Bad. Please? Please? Please?
Old 03-31-11, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...men-end-173646

Weiner says that season 7 (if AMC picks it up) will be the final season. Production on the show will begin in July.
Old 03-31-11, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Great news! I was really concerned about this once I learned AMC hadn't reached an agreement a few weeks ago. I was also perplexed as this seems to be the ultimate prestige show - on par with The Wire. It will clearly put AMC on the map for years. Here's to hoping Weiner and co. can keep it up for another 3 seasons!
Old 04-01-11, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
But seriously, AMC, you couldn't have swung this exact same deal nine months ago?
Really! I also read at Basket of Kisses that Weiner will have to take a budget cut in S6, and that AMC has now given him the freedom to make the cuts himself. So getting rid of cast or pairing down the sets is all on Weiner now.
Old 04-01-11, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 598 Likes on 483 Posts

Good. I've started watching the Blu rays of Mad Men that I got for x-mas.
Old 04-01-11, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Old 04-01-11, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So glad that this is returning. To watch when each episode premiers or wait for the whole episode 8 days later???

Great news!!!

Doug
Old 04-01-11, 10:47 AM

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts

Glad to hear this. Was kind of concerned Weiner wouldn't return.
Old 04-01-11, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good News
Old 04-01-11, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Good news, but now I will wait a while to pick up the S4 BD.
Crossing my fingers for another $10 Black Friday deal from Amazon...
Old 04-01-11, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 671 Likes on 415 Posts

Awesome

I love 13 episode seasons. More immediate, more important, more entertaining, less filler. Something David Chase never understood (Let's blow an entire episode on one of Tony's dreams! Again!!)
Old 04-01-11, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum
Really! I also read at Basket of Kisses that Weiner will have to take a budget cut in S6, and that AMC has now given him the freedom to make the cuts himself. So getting rid of cast or pairing down the sets is all on Weiner now.
Looks like we won't be seeing any overhead shots of 1960's NYC!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.