Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Queensr˙che - "Dedicated to Chaos" (disappointment begins Summer 2011)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-11, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

New York, NY: Queensr˙che announced today that their new album will be called Dedicated to Chaos and it will be released this summer. It’s the band’s first effort for its new label, Roadrunner Records/Loud & Proud. The band – featuring Geoff Tate, Michael Wilton, Eddie Jackson, Scott Rockenfield and Parker Lundgren — is currently planning a tour in support of the new opus, which was recorded in its native Seattle. Tour dates and information will be released when available.

“Modern life moves fast,” commented frontman Geoff Tate about the album. “Plug into the rhythm of the now with our 12th studio album, Dedicated to Chaos. It’s a clash and slash of musical experimentation anchored by the pulse of digital code.” He did issue one suggestion to listeners as well, saying: “Enjoy – headphones are a must.”

Queensr˙che’s 1988-issued album Operation: Mindcrime is universally respected as a classic concept release about rock, revenge and redemption, which is ultimately regarded as one of the most important and essential hard rock records in the genre’s expansive canon. 1990’s follow-up, Empire, yielded a #1 single, the Grammy-nominated ballad “Silent Lucidity,” which the band performed at the 1992 Grammy Awards accompanied by a supporting orchestra.

In 2006, the band released Operation: Mindcrime II, a scorching sequel to their original. The band then hit the road performing both albums Operation: Mindcrime and Operation: Mindcrime II back-to-back in their entirety in an incredible theatrical presentation throughout the year. The final performance was recorded at The Moore Theatre in Seattle that October and the Mindcrime at the Moore double CD/DVD release debuted at #1 on Billboard’s Top Music DVD Chart and eventually reached Gold status.

The band is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year and Dedicated to Chaos marks a new and riveting chapter in Queensr˙che’s already impressive history that fans will not want to miss.

And the chaos has just begun.
Old 03-29-11, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Queensr˙che - "Dedicated to Chaos" (disappointment begins Summer 2011)

I'm more lenient than most when it comes to Queensr˙che. I enjoyed Tribe, Mindcrime II was fun, but American Soldier is un-listenable. "Musical experimentation" sounds like a plus though.
Old 03-29-11, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm not optimistic. The title of the album is much more metal than the album itself will likely be. When we last saw QR, Geoff Tate looked like this:

Old 03-29-11, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Saw 'em live supporting American Soldier. Two and a half hours, straight through. No intermission, no opening act. Played suites from three albums. Sounded great, but I agree the American Soldier stuff was horrid.

Tickets go on sale Friday morning, so I'll be going again.
Old 03-30-11, 06:28 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the thread title . . . unfortunately.

". . . (disappointment begins Summer 2011)"
Old 04-05-11, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

16+ years since the band release something that impressed me. Very sad that the biggest two bands to influence me and my playing through my teenage years (QR and Metallica) just turned to shit.

I won't be buying this until I can hear the whole thing first.
Old 04-06-11, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
16+ years since the band release something that impressed me. Very sad that the biggest two bands to influence me and my playing through my teenage years (QR and Metallica) just turned to shit.

I won't be buying this until I can hear the whole thing first.
i agree. i tried QR out when I bought Empire over the new years holiday. That ended QR for me right there. I think I ended up just tossing the cd ( only paid $3 for it used ) so it wasn't a big deal. I love early Metallica, but they like you said turned to shit.
Old 04-06-11, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's up with Geoff Tate's appearance? Is he trying to look like Rob Halford or something? Anyway, I like all their albums up to "Promised Land". Started losing interest once "Here In The Now Frontier" came out. But you've gotta admit, that Queensryche logo (The Tri-Ryche) looks pretty cool.

Old 04-06-11, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's a guitar you can't play sitting down:

Old 04-06-11, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by JOE29
i agree. i tried QR out when I bought Empire over the new years holiday. That ended QR for me right there. I think I ended up just tossing the cd ( only paid $3 for it used ) so it wasn't a big deal. I love early Metallica, but they like you said turned to shit.
Wait... what? You bought Empire for the first time this past year and didn't like it? Like Vlyger said, most fans were with them up through Promised Land. Hear in the Now began the long slow decline.
Old 04-06-11, 10:42 PM

"Empire" was the album that introduced me to Queensryche. From there I worked my way back to the beginning. The musical climate was changing around the time "Promised Land" came out, and I felt "Promised Land" was their swansong. It was an end of an era, kinda reminiscent to Van Halen's "Balance" album. I guess part of it had to do with the departure of Chris DeGarmo. He probably knew that by the time "Here In The Now Frontier" was recorded, the band would have taken its toll and it would have been an appropriate time to call it a day.
Old 04-13-11, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jason
Saw 'em live supporting American Soldier. Two and a half hours, straight through. No intermission, no opening act. Played suites from three albums. Sounded great, but I agree the American Soldier stuff was horrid.
Saw that tour too. I've seen Queensryche 4-5 times since the Promise Land tour, and never paid for a single ticket.

I'll have to see if they're coming to the same place by me again.

Here's the cover:

Old 04-13-11, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Cover looks like a greatest hits package.

Or a career finale.
Old 04-13-11, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

While the triryche is undoubtedly one of the coolest logos in rock, it is severely overused. They should learn a bit from Dream Theater in that regard. The Dream Theater "Majesty" logo is on every cover, but it's not the focal point. Brand awareness but not abuse.
Old 04-14-11, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
Cover looks like a greatest hits package.

Or a career finale.
Agreed. Terrible cover.

This can't be worse than American Soldier can it? Can it?!
Old 05-05-11, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Tracklisting.

1.Get Started
2.Hot Spot Junkie
3.Got It Bad
4.Around The World
5.Higher
6.Retail Therapy
7.At The Edge
8.Broken
9.Hard Times
10.Drive
11.I Believe
12.Luvnu
13.Wot We Do
14.I Take You
15.The Lie
16.Big Noize

I sure hope the songs are better than their titles.
Old 05-05-11, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Tracklisting.

1.Get Started
2.Hot Spot Junkie
3.Got It Bad
4.Around The World
5.Higher
6.Retail Therapy
7.At The Edge
8.Broken
9.Hard Times
10.Drive
11.I Believe
12.Luvnu
13.Wot We Do
14.I Take You
15.The Lie
16.Big Noize

Are they experiencing with hip-hop?
That would suck.
Old 05-05-11, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Tracklisting.

1.Get Started
2.Hot Spot Junkie
3.Got It Bad
4.Around The World
5.Higher
6.Retail Therapy
7.At The Edge
8.Broken
9.Hard Times
10.Drive
11.I Believe
12.Luvnu
13.Wot We Do
14.I Take You
15.The Lie
16.Big Noize

This does not bode well.
Old 05-05-11, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly, give me ten good tracks. Quantity does not equal quality.
Old 05-06-11, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Wait... what? You bought Empire for the first time this past year and didn't like it? Like Vlyger said, most fans were with them up through Promised Land. Hear in the Now began the long slow decline.
To me, it just sounded like a few of those 80's hair bands. A long the lines of the Ratt, Poison, Warrant, etc. And that's not what I look for. I decided that I probably would never play it again, so i just tossed it instead of keeping it around to take up space. It was on of those AmazonMarketplace purchases that only put me out $3.
Old 05-07-11, 07:10 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

To me, it just sounded like a few of those 80's hair bands. A long the lines of the Ratt, Poison, Warrant, etc. And that's not what I look for. . .
You cannot be serious? WOW!
Old 05-07-11, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To me, it just sounded like a few of those 80's hair bands. A long the lines of the Ratt, Poison, Warrant, etc. And that's not what I look for. I decided that I probably would never play it again, so i just tossed it instead of keeping it around to take up space. It was on of those AmazonMarketplace purchases that only put me out $3.
I would never put Queensryche in the same category as any of those bands, but I don't think I'll ever truly love that album as a whole. Tracks like "Best I Can" and "Jet City Woman" were way too commercial and basic for me to appreciate them as Queensryche songs. There are some songs I truly love like Thin Line, Anybody Listening and Another Rainy Night, but I found their approach entirely too safe as a follow up to Mindcrime. I thought Promise Land was a grand slam and then they blew it completely with Hear in the Now Frontier. Bad album and even worse tour.
Old 05-08-11, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's funny, I'd consider Rainy Night more commercial than Best I Can.

I still love Empire. It's technically my second favorite QR disc as Rage and Mindcrime are tied for first.

It's also the first new QR record I bought after I was a fan so the anticipation was huge. It wasn't as awe-inspiring as Mindcrime, but I love the vibe and sound of it and I think it flows well as a whole.
Old 05-08-11, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
That's funny, I'd consider Rainy Night more commercial than Best I Can.

I still love Empire. It's technically my second favorite QR disc as Rage and Mindcrime are tied for first.

It's also the first new QR record I bought after I was a fan so the anticipation was huge. It wasn't as awe-inspiring as Mindcrime, but I love the vibe and sound of it and I think it flows well as a whole.
Another rainy night is commercial in my eyes too, I just appreciated the lyrics and the vibe of the tune. I hated Best I Can from the moment I heard it. It just doesn't have the punch of an album opener. Plus, when I saw the tour and Geoff walking on the treadmill I had to laugh. I thought I was watching an SNL skit. I also think Empire and Silent Lucidity are great songs but I was really hoping for something more innovative and it seemed way to focused on chorus and a "hit single" if you know what I mean. I feel the same way about Metallica's Black Album. When I thought they were going to reinvent themselves, they went safe. There's a ton of people who love that disc, but I never could get into it. I like a couple of songs, but I couldn't sink my teeth into it. Maybe I have trouble with transitions, growth and change.
Old 05-09-11, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No you're right Empire is a bit of playing it safe, but not as much as the Black Album IMO.

I always appreciated how QR could reinvent themselves and still retain their identity, and with Empire I simply took it as them reinventing themselves as a commercial metal band.

Promised Land seemed like a direct counteraction to that, and is IMO their last great record. I can appreciate what they were trying to do with HitNF but I never really cared for it.

Then DeGarmo left and it's pretty much all been shit since then. The couple of decent tracks on O:M II do not make it OK that they even did the sequel.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.