Old 03-29-11, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,529 Posts
Lights Out -- "Sucker Punch" -- 3/29/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-01-17

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
As the Reynolds fight nears, Lights gets a surprise announcement from FX's President that his show is officially cancelled.

Episode 12 of 13

Next week the Lights are officially out.

Promo:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/P2o3qaP-NTU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-29-11, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 368 Likes on 297 Posts
Re: Lights Out -- "Sucker Punch" -- 3/29/11

It's cancelled??? Seriously? Dammit.
Old 03-29-11, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
It's cancelled??? Seriously? Dammit.
Did you read last week's thread? It was also posted there.
Old 03-29-11, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm still baffled by this show's inability to connect with audiences. America loves fictional boxing entertainment.
Old 03-29-11, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A shitty show is a shitty show. Unless you were being sarcastic, in which case I say well done, Sir.
Old 03-29-11, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nope, I'm dead serious. Show isn't perfect, but it's a LONG way away from being even remotely shitty.
Old 03-29-11, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just hope we get a little resolution next week from the fight. This show could have been more without all the contrived problems. Seriously the shooting this week did nothing but make you roll your eyes, and if it wasn't there it would have been fine.
Old 03-29-11, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
Nope, I'm dead serious. Show isn't perfect, but it's a LONG way away from being even remotely shitty.
I think even by your ideas of perfect and shitty you'd agree that it's far closer to shitty than perfect. I do think there are some decent aspects to it, but overall I feel it is largely crap. None of the main characters have any real depth to them aside from the tacky paint by numbers type shit they have slapped on to this point. It's just been handled in a very clunky fashion, imo. By far the best two characters on this show were one or two off characters (Ed Romeo and David Morse's character).

The way shit has unfolded has me rooting for Death Row Reynolds-surely not the intended result.
Old 03-30-11, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For some reason, my cable wasn't working tonight so I missed the episode. But to add to what's already been said...

This show started off with lots of potential, but quickly derailed. Agree with SexualPudding that Ed Romeo and the Rainmaker were the two best characters on the show, followed by Death Row Reynolds. I hope he wins and Lights pays the price, because he's become pretty unlikeable and his family needs to see what it's like without him.

So yeah, this show is far from perfect. Terriers, on the other hand...was pure perfection. I miss Terriers
Old 03-30-11, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This was the dramatic buildup to the season finale... Introduce a new and annoying character to fill the time? I could see this type of storyline early on to develop the family member characters, but at this late stage of the season (series)?

Even the daughters have become annoying, is there a single likable character left? At this point I think I'm rooting for Brennan to screw everyone over.
Old 03-30-11, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by wirefan
is there a single likable character left?
Not in my book.
Old 03-30-11, 09:22 AM

Even the daughters have become annoying, is there a single likable character left? At this point I think I'm rooting for Brennan to screw everyone over.
The only characters I like on the show now are Death Row and Barry Word. Probably not what the writers intended.

This ep. was by far the worst in the series. The only thing that made it even remotely worthwhile was Barry's blow-up at the end.
Old 03-30-11, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Did you read last week's thread? It was also posted there.
Nope, missed all of last weeks posts.

I agree with the majority here, the show started out with likeable characters who quickly dissolved to annoying twats (the wife, kids, Lights' brother and Lights himself). Patrick isn't really even a good guy... he does what he needs to do (I guess) but puts all morals aside. It's hard to root for him.

I can't see this show ending with any other result than him winning the fight. In reality he should get his ass kicked and suffer brain damage as this has been alluded to for weeks now. We'll never get that ending though.

Oh, I also think the fight will last 3 rounds max as this show doesn't really care to show us boxing and instead focuses on Light's being a thug or dealing with money problems.
Old 03-30-11, 10:07 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 397 Likes on 247 Posts

let's hope they had enough time to recut the finale to give us a "Million Dollar Baby" type ending
Old 03-30-11, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going with the Rocky IV ending. He may even create peace thru the Middle East after his victory over Death Row.
Old 03-30-11, 12:49 PM

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

This was the dramatic buildup to the season finale... Introduce a new and annoying character to fill the time? I could see this type of storyline early on to develop the family member characters, but at this late stage of the season (series)?
My thought exactly. What a waste. Never gave his mom a thought, didn't know didn't care, and sure didn't need a whole ep wasted on her. At this point I'm ready for the end (unlike w/Terriers...).
Old 03-30-11, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 598 Likes on 483 Posts

I didn't understand the point of the line moving upward. If the line is moving upward (from 2-1, which is absurd on its face , to 5-1), it means the books are taking more action on Morales (presumably from the mob/underworld guy to drive the line higher). So what was the end game....hope the line reaches a certain point (since you can't keep putting your own action in to make it rise; there's no profit there) and wait for it to reach 8-1 or 10-1? Why? Do they know Lights is going to win for sure? That's pretty risky.

And yes, the mother storyline was a waste of time.
Old 03-30-11, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That was an insanely disappointing and really wasted episode. But it's interesting how people now find Lights unlikeable. I don't remember people saying that about Vic Mackey...most people were still rooting for him up until the final minute of e series finale.
Old 03-30-11, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hell, I liked Tony Soprano 10x more than I like Lights
Old 03-31-11, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Definitely felt like a wasted episode. What was the point of the mom even returning? Just to get more money? This would have been more appropriate earlier on for character development, but at this point I don't even care. Not to mention, if Lights is having money problems, where exactly did he get $20,000 in cash to just toss away to his mom?

I really liked Lights at the start, but not anymore. "Death Row" Reynolds is the far more interesting character. He's a guy who won the fight, but never really got to appreciate his win because everyone said Lights deserved it. On that note, did we ever find out exactly what happened during the fight? Either way, I'm much more interested in Reynolds and his determination to win again.

I'm hoping "Death Row" Reynolds knocks Lights out in the first round and gives him permanent brain damage. Maybe Johnny will have placed a very large bet on Lights to win and, unable to pay, will end up in a ditch somewhere. Then everyone in the family will have to depend on themselves for a change.
Old 03-31-11, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
That was an insanely disappointing and really wasted episode. But it's interesting how people now find Lights unlikeable. I don't remember people saying that about Vic Mackey...most people were still rooting for him up until the final minute of e series finale.
Mackey was an interesting character. Lights really isn't. That's the long and short of it for me.