Body of Proof -- Series Premiere -- "Pilot" -- 3/29/11

Old 03-29-11, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,529 Posts
Body of Proof -- Series Premiere -- "Pilot" -- 3/29/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-01-01

Starring:
Dana Delany (Desperate Housewives, Castle)
Jeri Ryan (Boston Public, Shark, Leverage)
Sonja Sohn (The Wire)
John Carroll Lynch

13 episode order. It looks like 9 will air before May sweeps.

Series Synopsis:

Dr. Megan Hunt (Dana Delany) is in a class of her own, a brilliant and world-renowned neurosurgeon at the top of her game, although success and notoriety have cost her her marriage and her relationship with her 12-year-old daughter. Then Megan's world is turned upside down by a devastating car accident that puts an end to her career as a surgeon. Broken but determined, with her love of medicine intact but a lack of feeling in her hands, Megan is pointed in the only direction she can turn, to a career as a medical examiner. Now a committed advocate for the dead, Megan solves the mysteries of their deaths while telling the stories of their lives.

Megan's instincts are sharp, though she's developed a reputation for blurring the line between where her job ends and the police department's begins. But her career isn't the only thing that needs rebuilding; her family has taken a backseat to her ambition, and she's discovering she has a lot of dissecting to do in her relationships with the living. As she tries to rekindle her relationship with her daughter, Megan seeks forgiveness from the one person least likely to give it -- herself.
Pilot Synopsis:

Spoiler:
In the premiere episode, "Pilot," a female jogger is found floating in the Schuylkill River. Dr. Megan Hunt teams up with her partner, medical investigator and former cop Peter Dunlop, under the watchful eye of their boss, Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Kate Murphey, who is very aware of Megan's gifted but polarizing work style. Megan's colleagues, Dr. Ethan Gross and Deputy Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Curtis Brumfield, must find their own way to work alongside the new medical examiner. Megan's investigation takes her out in the field where she meets old-school cop Detective Bud Morris, who is exasperated by Megan's tenacity and bull-headedness. But his partner, Detective Samantha Baker, possesses a quiet respect for Megan's input, even if Morris doesn't. Meanwhile, as she's is trying to solve the female jogger's death, Megan has to solve a personal puzzle of her own -- what is the perfect present for her daughter's 12th birthday?

Been waiting for this show for months mainly because it has 2 of the hottest 40+ actresses right now in Dana Delany and Jeri Ryan. It was supposed to premiere in October on Friday's, but ABC postponed it until Midseason, which was a good thing since it was scheduled to air on Fridays.

The reviews have been pretty positive. Entertainment Weekly gave it the "Must Watch of the Week"

Last edited by DJariya; 03-29-11 at 04:49 AM.
Old 03-29-11, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: Body of Proof -- Series Premiere -- "Pilot" -- 3/29/11

Trailer:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4SLOdVtiHo0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-29-11, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get a Crossing Jordan 2.0 vibe. This one will probably be much more cohesive than that. Although, that was part of the charm of it, the tangents they ran off with. This show will probably be one of the many forensic shows that have come and gone in recent times.
Old 03-29-11, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
I get a Crossing Jordan 2.0 vibe. This one will probably be much more cohesive than that. Although, that was part of the charm of it, the tangents they ran off with. This show will probably be one of the many forensic shows that have come and gone in recent times.
I was a fan of Crossing Jordan and was glad it managed to last 6 seasons. But, Jill Hennessy didn't have the star power of a Dana Delany. Plus, Delany turned 55 this month. She could easily pass for a woman in her early 40's. I've been a fan of hers since China Beach long ago.

This is a really tough timeslot though facing The Good Wife and Parenthood. I'll be watching and hope this show does well. Because I don't want Dana anywhere near Desperate Housewives ever again. She 100% deserves her own show.
Old 03-29-11, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 573 Likes on 418 Posts

Takes Place in Philly.
Philly shows haven't had a great track the last fews years so I hope this one turns out good.
Old 03-30-11, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am looking forward to this because of DeLaney who I thought should have been a Big star after China Beach. She was great on the show. Wish they would release it on DVD.
Also, Jeri Ryan. With those two, you can't miss.
Old 03-30-11, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk God

I liked it, mainly because of Delany.

1st of all, the best thing Delany ever did in the last 10 years or so was grow her hair out long. For a 55-year old woman, she's drop dead gorgeous IMO.

I would say the best way to describe this show is it being House + Crossing Jordan. Megan is very snarky and arrogant and probably doesn't come across as very likeable initially. But, as they revealed more about her back story as the episode went along, she became more sympathetic. I'm guessing that Peter is Megan's assistant? He has a very Wilson-like vibe to me. Jeri Ryan didn't show up until the 30 minute mark and didn't really make an impression on me yet. The Plot was a little predictable. Once they determined the jogger was sleeping with her boss, I said, the wife did it.

Jeffrey Nordling, who played her ex husband, was wasted in this episode though.

Even though this show takes place in Philadelphia, the Pilot was shot on location in Rhode Island. Kind of an odd place to double as it. I assume the rest of the series will be shot in LA.

By the way, I participated in the ABC Twitter chat session with Dana tonight and sent in 2 questions. Surprisingly Dana answered both! Very cool lady.
Old 03-30-11, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ABC may be waiting to see how the show does when Parenthood finishes out its season in like 3 more weeks. The show will obviously do better with half the competition already in reruns.
Old 03-30-11, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

cast seems ok.. it's nice to see Delany and Jeri Ryan land on another show.. but over all I thought the pilot was pretty bad. IMO the over all set up of the charters and story line was taking the the idea of -suspend disbelieve- to new heights. Like the show felt it needed certain elements and just forced them in..

Delany's character was a $$$$$$$$$$ brain surgeon and now years later she is working for law enforcement at a $$$$ job but some how still has zero custody etc with her daughter, to the point the father can say to stay away? Ex-crack whore moms gets waitress jobs and recover some parental rights but some how a doctor then and a doctor now lost them? Ok..

lawyer at a top firm just "Yeah search my house" when no lawyer ever would do that but hey they need it to happen so they can catch a killer so whatever..

Never mind her just tagging along everywhere and for some random reason she also has a cop assigned her in the first place, so the show could force the partner issue....

I know they do a lot of the same junk on CSI and I know it's BS on those shows too but some how it just works better then on this one.. Meh, as I said, I'll give it a few more eps but is really was pretty bad as far as writing/story set up goes..
Old 03-30-11, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DeadLamb
lawyer at a top firm just "Yeah search my house" when no lawyer ever would do that but hey they need it to happen so they can catch a killer so whatever..
Nah, the lawyer just saved a boatload of money on a divorce. He was already sleeping around and looking to trade the wife up on a younger model. That was the most believable part of the plot. You could see the wheels turn in his head.
Old 03-30-11, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 118 Posts

Dana Delany looks incredible -- hard to believe that China Beach was twenty years ago! -- but this pilot was all over the place.

Oh, Lupis!
Old 03-30-11, 09:23 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

DVRed it. Will watch tonight simply for Jeri Ryan.
Old 03-30-11, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Wow! Good start ratings-wise. 13.85M viewers and 3.0 in the demos. Beat The Good Wife and Parenthood. Was not expecting it to start that high at all.

http://www.tvline.com/2011/03/rating...oof-dwts-ncis/
Old 03-30-11, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Wow! Good start ratings-wise. 13.85M viewers and 3.0 in the demos. Beat The Good Wife and Parenthood. Was not expecting it to start that high at all.

http://www.tvline.com/2011/03/rating...oof-dwts-ncis/
Well No Ordinary Family premiered with a 3.2, so this really doesn't mean much yet
Old 03-30-11, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
DVRed it. Will watch tonight simply for Jeri Ryan.
As I said in my post earlier, Jeri Ryan doesn't appear until around the 30 minute mark and probably has about 5-7 minutes of screentime in the Pilot at most. She's the co-lead of the show, so I assume we'll see more of her in future weeks.
Old 03-30-11, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
1st of all, the best thing Delany ever did in the last 10 years or so was grow her hair out long. For a 55-year old woman, she's drop dead gorgeous IMO.
Real talk.
Old 03-30-11, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Thrush
Real talk.
Look here Flawless........
Old 03-30-11, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

cast seems ok.. it's nice to see Delany and Jeri Ryan land on another show.. but over all I thought the pilot was pretty bad. IMO the over all set up of the charters and story line was taking the the idea of -suspend disbelieve- to new heights. Like the show felt it needed certain elements and just forced them in..

Delany's character was a $$$$$$$$$$ brain surgeon and now years later she is working for law enforcement at a $$$$ job but some how still has zero custody etc with her daughter, to the point the father can say to stay away? Ex-crack whore moms gets waitress jobs and recover some parental rights but some how a doctor then and a doctor now lost them? Ok..

Never mind her just tagging along everywhere and for some random reason she also has a cop assigned her in the first place, so the show could force the partner issue....

I know they do a lot of the same junk on CSI and I know it's BS on those shows too but some how it just works better then on this one.. Meh, as I said, I'll give it a few more eps but is really was pretty bad as far as writing/story set up goes..
These were some of my problems as well.

Although the lawyer seemed like he knew the search gets him out of his murdering wife marriage.

My main problem so far is the characters are all dull and paint by numbers boring even Delaney.

Why does there always have to be the one team member or boss
who needs to be contradictory to everything the star of the show does, even though the star is almost always right.

Also Delaney was really stiff in this pilot.
She never smiles or really moves her face much(too much work done there?)
and her speaking sounded a bit slurred couldn't enunciate very well, couldn't move her mouth well.

Probably only a Philly person would notice but nothing looked like Philly at all.
The street signs and the buildings are clearly not Philly locations.

Except for the shot of the Towers at the end, nothing looked Philly.
Old 03-30-11, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought it was OK. I'm not sure there's much to make it stand out in the sea of procedurals out there.

Agreed that Delany looks great for a 55 year old. Hell, she looks great, period.

I was wondering if there was more to the story, because that made no sense to me either.
Old 03-30-11, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't see that she wasn't legally prevented from seeing her just the dad was preventing
and lying to the daughter about some things.
Old 03-30-11, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^It was weird that she didn't get custody, when the Dad works long hours just like her.