Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Hey, this is new! Amazon Cloud Player

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-11, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Looks like this just launched today:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/29/a...r-computer-an/

Now when you buy MP3s on amazon, you can save them to the cloud, which you can access anywhere, via the web, or from smartphone apps. Plus you can download them anywhere as well.

Not only that, but you can UPLOAD your music to the cloud as well. 5 gigs to start, but if you buy a MP3 album, you get upgraded to 20 gigs.

Kind of neat ... interesting that they beat Apple to the punch here ... isn't that what they were hinting at trying to figure out?
Old 03-29-11, 01:22 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Hey, this is new! Amazon Cloud Player

Holy shit! I know what I'm doing for the rest of the night.

Um...is there a way to put music I've purchased from Amazon prior to today on the Cloud? I've bought way more than 5 GB from them and don't want to upload it manually.

Edit: No, I just found it. If I previously purchased something from Amazon, before the release of the Cloud Drive, I have to manually upload it, which counts against my 5 GB of storage. MP3's purchased through Amazon and saved to the Cloud Drive don't count. That is bullshit.

Okay, this whole thing is kind of weird. It looks like you can either save a song to the Cloud Drive OR download it. I think that might mean once it's downloaded it won't stay on the Cloud Drive unless you re-upload it, and thus use a portion of your 5 GB. Or not? I can't tell. The info they have isn't quite clear about it.

Last edited by Supermallet; 03-29-11 at 01:35 AM.
Old 03-29-11, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i read in the comments you can upload any file from any source. as long as it is drm free.
Old 03-29-11, 01:44 AM
Banned by request

I noticed they had Spreading The Disease by Anthrax for $5, so I ordered that to test it out. It gave me the option to save to the Cloud Drive or to my computer. Under the Cloud Drive option it said "Store your music on the cloud. Listen to it and download it anywhere, anytime!" When I get home I'll try downloading it and see if that removes it from the cloud or not.

Playing the album now. Sounds okay, a little tinny, but given that it's streamed it's not so bad. I'm going to try uploading a song or two and see how that sounds.

Okay, I uploaded Abbey Road and compared the Cloud Player versions against the originals. The Cloud Player version definitely sounded thinner, with less detail, but it's not bad for a free player that let me upload whatever I wanted. What I'll probably do is fill it with 5 GB of music I never tire of listening to, and if I'm ever in a spot where I want to listen to something but don't have access to my MP3's, use that.

Last edited by Supermallet; 03-29-11 at 02:00 AM.
Old 03-29-11, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Holy shit! I know what I'm doing for the rest of the night.

Um...is there a way to put music I've purchased from Amazon prior to today on the Cloud? I've bought way more than 5 GB from them and don't want to upload it manually.

Edit: No, I just found it. If I previously purchased something from Amazon, before the release of the Cloud Drive, I have to manually upload it, which counts against my 5 GB of storage. MP3's purchased through Amazon and saved to the Cloud Drive don't count. That is bullshit.

Okay, this whole thing is kind of weird. It looks like you can either save a song to the Cloud Drive OR download it. I think that might mean once it's downloaded it won't stay on the Cloud Drive unless you re-upload it, and thus use a portion of your 5 GB. Or not? I can't tell. The info they have isn't quite clear about it.
Maybe how it works is, if you buy a file from them and choose to save it to the Cloud drive, they stream it from their centralized location instead of your personal storage. That way, they're not storing extra copies of the same file bought by many different people. You just see a pointer to the file in your account. They don't mind how big this "collection" gets because they're not dedicating extra storage to it, and of course it gives you an incentive to buy from them instead of another service.

But for files you upload, they are unique (or could be unique, which is all that matters), so they need dedicated storage. Naturally they want to limit that, to keep it from turning into a free online backup service.
Old 03-29-11, 02:18 AM
Banned by request

Right, I'm just not sure if downloading it after it's saved to the cloud means it disappears from your cloud.

Also, if they're streaming your purchases from their central server, they should be able to retroactively add your previous MP3 purchases with them, since they have a record of all of them.

And I've already found a flaw with the player. I uploaded Station To Station by David Bowie. It came up as being by "Various Artists" and the cover art is for "Groove Station 18." I'm not seeing any way to fix that.
Old 03-29-11, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Right, I'm just not sure if downloading it after it's saved to the cloud means it disappears from your cloud.

Also, if they're streaming your purchases from their central server, they should be able to retroactively add your previous MP3 purchases with them, since they have a record of all of them.

And I've already found a flaw with the player. I uploaded Station To Station by David Bowie. It came up as being by "Various Artists" and the cover art is for "Groove Station 18." I'm not seeing any way to fix that.
Not a fix but a workaround. Make an "Artist - Album" playlist.

I'm psyched This is awesome!!
Old 03-29-11, 03:38 AM
Banned by request

The more I think about it, the less useful this really seems, especially when you consider their insane $1 per GB pricing for anything over 5 GB. You don't even get a discount for buying more space, it's $1 per GB all the way up to 1,000 GB for $1,000 per year! I can buy a 3 TB external drive for under $200, download Subsonic or another streaming app, and have access to all my music files, not just MP3s, and have a lot more control over what I can do with those files.

The only really useful thing about this is that you can stream any Amazon MP3 purchase without it going towards your storage total.
Old 03-29-11, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you go here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...83404&sr=1-204 and buy the song it should give you a free year of 20 gigs free (well, 69 cents). This is courtesy of SD and it worked for me

Thanks to your recent purchase of an Amazon MP3 album, you have qualified for a free year of the Amazon Cloud Drive 20 GB storage plan starting today for one year. You can find details about Cloud Drive at: https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/learnmore . This storage plan is not set to renew automatically and will be reverted back to the free 5 GB plan at the end of the promotion.
If you have already upgraded your Amazon Cloud Drive account to a paid storage plan of 20 GB or higher when you qualified for this offer, this offer has been saved to your account as a $20 credit toward future Amazon Cloud Drive fees you may incur due to the renewal or upgrade of your existing plan. If you elect to downgrade your plan to a free plan at the time of renewal, your upgrade offer will be automatically applied to the 20 GB plan at that time.
The promo says for an "album purchase" bu it is or at least was working for the .69 cent song.
Old 03-29-11, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just bought it.... but still says 5 gigs.
Old 03-29-11, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Just bought it.... but still says 5 gigs.
SD is hammering the server, it might take awhile. It was almost instant for me though. Went to upload and it showed 20 gigs

By the way the amazon mp3 app has already been updated to have the cloud player built in om android so no other app is necessary
Old 03-29-11, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Still 5 You didn't have to do any steps but just buy? Maybe they fixed it
Old 03-29-11, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Still 5 You didn't have to do any steps but just buy? Maybe they fixed it
Nope, just buy
Old 03-29-11, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It works but I guess I don't see a big need for this since I don't own a smart phone. Uploading is slow even with DSL.
Old 03-29-11, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Well, one of the big benefits is that now when you buy MP3s, you can redownload them any time you need.

Before, if you lost them for whatever reason, you were screwed. You'd have to contact customer service, and beg them to let you redownload them. And they would usually say SORRY, can't do it!
Old 03-29-11, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The more I think about it, the less useful this really seems, especially when you consider their insane $1 per GB pricing for anything over 5 GB. You don't even get a discount for buying more space, it's $1 per GB all the way up to 1,000 GB for $1,000 per year! I can buy a 3 TB external drive for under $200, download Subsonic or another streaming app, and have access to all my music files, not just MP3s, and have a lot more control over what I can do with those files.

The only really useful thing about this is that you can stream any Amazon MP3 purchase without it going towards your storage total.

external drive needs electricity and a computer to make it work. with this you can listen to playlists on any smartphone or computer

this is awesome. i can use itunes to manage my music without the headache of going to another program. and just upload my favorite songs to listen on the go with my cheapo HTC Inspire
Old 03-29-11, 08:44 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm just wondering if there will be buffering issues during playback from the cloud server over 3G on smart phones? Seems to be the problem for me using apps like SiriusXM or Slacker.
Old 03-29-11, 09:03 AM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts

That is what I do as well (subsonic is a great tool). I think as time goes on more and more people will have their own "personal clouds" (media streaming, storage, etc), as it is pretty easy to setup and manage. I think things like this in particular are cashing in before that happens.

Offsite storage is still a good thing, but personally, I prefer to my own "personal cloud" for media streaming.,
Old 03-29-11, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

For grins, I picked up the Norah Jones and Sheryl Crow albums for $3 and $4 respectively to try this out. It gave me the free 20 GB automatically. Will try to stream it now on my Android and see how it plays.
Old 03-29-11, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Since my home computer is on all the time I use audiogalaxy.
Old 03-29-11, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

this is what i'm thinking about. i mean i can load a ton of mp3s on my thunderbolt. why stream? unless you needs the space, obviously. but that probably eats up battery quicker than running them off the sd card (i'd assume). i'm going to use this for photos more than anything.
Old 03-29-11, 09:47 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

This may be useful to me, specifically for albums that I own but are not available from other streaming music subscription services (ZunePass, Spotify, etc.). There's no way I'm going to bother uploading my entire library of music to any service, even Google Music, if that ever shows up.

edit: apparently it IS available for Canadians. I just can't find the Android player in the Android Marketplace. If it's only available in the Amazon Appstore, then, well....

edit 2: the Cloud Player app is included in the Amazon MP3 app... which isn't showing up in the Android Market... probably because the Amazon MP3 purchasing service isn't available to Canadians. SIGH!

Last edited by Dan; 03-29-11 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-29-11, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If I hear "cloud" one more time, I'm jumping out my window.
Old 03-29-11, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Meanwhile, Apple still hasn't introduced this feature to iTunes, even though that was the whole point of their buying Lala and shutting it down. Bitches.
Old 03-29-11, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Is that the purpose of the über-datacenter in North Carolina they are building?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.