Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why is DC so late to the superhero movie biz?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-11, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I was a kid, I always thought DC had the more popular characters since they had the popular cartoons (superfriends), the Wonder Woman show & Superman movies. However, except for Superman & Batman, there really hasn't been any movies based on the other characters. They did have some popular cartoons (BTAS & STAS) Marvel didn't seem to be doing anything TV/movie based outside Hulk & a few cartoons that aren't remembered that much. Then in the 90's/2000's it was Marvel movie mania. After this summer, most of Marvel's top tier characters have had big hit movies.

Finally this summer, DC is getting a non-Superman/Batman superhero movie out. I'm not counting movies based on non-hero books DC has put out since most people won't know those as DC comics. While you could say Watchmen was a DC movie, they don't exist in the regular DC universe & most people don't think of them as DC. I'm talking characters that could be part of the Justice League (Wonder Woman, Hawkman, Green Arrow, etc) So, why the wait?
Old 03-28-11, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Why is DC so late to the superhero movie biz?

In some respects I do wish they would get their act together if only because I never read DC Comics aside from The Dark Knight Returns and Superman: Red Son; I basically get my DC fix through the films. It'd be great to see the Flash and Green Arrow which both seem to have pretty good ideas for films(The Flash as a CSI style crime film and Green Arrow in a high-security prison)

What would be really really cool is to see the Avengers and JLA come together in a film, even a lower-order crossover would be awesome.
Old 03-28-11, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

The Flash tv series was awesome. I remember that back in the day, loved that show.

I can't believe they never bothered to make a wonder woman movie. That chick in the movie Hancock reminds me of Wonder Woman.
Old 03-28-11, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The frustrating thing is that WB/DC has attempted to make several different films that fail to get off the ground.

Wonder Woman
The Justice League of America
Supermax
Superman vs. Batman

I'm sure there are others, but these are the few from the past few years that come to mind.
Old 03-28-11, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quality versus quantity would be my guess. I'll take a Nolan Batman over any Marvel movie.
Old 03-28-11, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Quality versus quantity would be my guess. I'll take a Nolan Batman over any Marvel movie.

??
Old 03-28-11, 08:50 PM

And if you want to say that's an aberration or a relic from an older regime, there's the contemporary piece of shit "Jonah Hex."
Old 03-28-11, 09:00 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I still think that Supermax sounded like a great and different idea for sure.
Old 03-28-11, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020

??

Old 03-28-11, 09:28 PM

Yeah but both statements aren't mutually exclusive; the Nolan films have been better than any Marvel film so far but that doesn't mean that Warners is more sophisticated in it's measurement of quality. Superman Returns and Jonah Hex prove they aren't.
Old 03-28-11, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Sure the Nolan stuff has been great, but that doesn't mean DC has opted for quality of quantity.

My example above stands
Old 03-28-11, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah but you were responding specifically to PTC's Nolan comment, which (let's face it) you misread.

The stands! As does PTC's comment, which I agree with...
Old 03-28-11, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gmanca
Yeah but both statements aren't mutually exclusive; the Nolan films have been better than any Marvel film so far but that doesn't mean that Warners is more sophisticated in it's measurement of quality. Superman Returns and Jonah Hex prove they aren't.
This I can't argue with. WB is hopelessly out of touch with its audience.
Old 03-28-11, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's not totally quality over quantity. Especially with films like Jonah Hex, Catwoman, and likely Green Lantern.

I think DC sort of sat on their Batman profits (both Burton and Nolan) and didn't see much reason to try and deliver lesser known characters.

Last edited by PopcornTreeCt; 03-28-11 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-28-11, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

One thing to consider is that DC is owned by Warner Bros where Marvel used to be independent. Warner has one of the largest catalogs of films so they don't need to exploit their DC characters as much. Also, when a DC character is made into a movie, then Warner is most likely to do it, so you only get a few. Marvel, in that they are entirely comic book oriented, will license their characters to multiple studios. Each studio might only make a few, but since there are multiple studios, there are a lot overall. It's changing now that Marvel decided to finance their own movies and even more since they were purchased by Disney.
Old 03-28-11, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gmanca
and Superman 3 with Richard Pryor.
Old 03-28-11, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I think DC happened to get caught a few times where they got stuck between success and bad failures. They had both Superman and Batman franchises start off successfully, and then fail miserably with bad sequels that probably scared them away. Not to mention flat out incompetence when you look at all the attempts to get a new Superman movie off the ground.
Old 03-28-11, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

It's not totally quality over quantity. Especially with films like Jonah Hex, Catwoman, and likely Green Lantern.

I think DC sort of sat on their Batman profits (both Burton and Nolan) and didn't see much reason to try and deliver lesser known characters.
Jury's still out on that one. It's from the guy who made Goldeneye, I'm optimistic.

Last edited by DaveyJoe; 03-28-11 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-28-11, 11:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was the Flash tv series, but I'd love to see a well done movie where the character isn't so old.
Old 03-29-11, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Jury's still out on that one. It's from the guy who made Goldeneye, I'm optimistic.
Of course, it's also from the guy who made Legend of Zorro.

So...we'll see. Martin Campbell can be quite hit or miss.
Old 03-29-11, 12:31 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jaeufraser
Of course, it's also from the guy who made Legend of Zorro.

So...we'll see. Martin Campbell can be quite hit or miss.
From what I can see from his films from Goldeneye onward...he's 100% on the mark when he does solid work or he's mediocre. As much as I'm not liking the tone for GL I hope it's a solid piece of work. He really knows how to do action.
Old 03-29-11, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Don't get me started on DC's having its ass kicked by the latest round of Marvel films.
Old 03-29-11, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
One thing to consider is that DC is owned by Warner Bros where Marvel used to be independent. Warner has one of the largest catalogs of films so they don't need to exploit their DC characters as much. Also, when a DC character is made into a movie, then Warner is most likely to do it, so you only get a few. Marvel, in that they are entirely comic book oriented, will license their characters to multiple studios. Each studio might only make a few, but since there are multiple studios, there are a lot overall. It's changing now that Marvel decided to finance their own movies and even more since they were purchased by Disney.
This.
At one point in the mid-late 90's Marvels stock was down to pennies per share. It really looked like they were going to go under and liquidate their universe.
Instead, they started to aggressively license out.

Despite moving Levitz to a new post in charge of developing the characters for other media, I don't think DC will ever be that aggressive in getting other characters off the ground. WB is just too corporate an environment for these things to incubate and grow over time. People always get moved or canned, and the projects that one exec might find promising are likely to be dropped when someone else takes his place. Getting Warner to tap DC's vast universe in live action is going to be like trying to suck molasses through a straw.

Superman. Batman. Superman. Batman. Something on TV. Maybe another Justice leaguer in a movie. Wash, Rinse, Repeat.
Old 03-29-11, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Don't get me started on DC's having its ass kicked by the latest round of Marvel films.
If by latest round you mean Thor, Captain America and The Avengers mess of a movie, then I don't think DC has anything to worry about it. Though X-Men First Class looks good.
Old 03-29-11, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

If by latest round you mean Thor, Captain America and The Avengers mess of a movie, then I don't think DC has anything to worry about it. Though X-Men First Class looks good.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.