Old 03-28-11, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,529 Posts
The Event -- "Face Off" -- 3/28/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-09-17

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
President Martinez (Blair Underwood) and Blake Sterling (Zeljko Ivanek) have the Sleepers surrounded, but after Sophia (Laura Innes) triggers a national disaster, negotiations ensue. Elsewhere, with a lead on the whereabouts of Dempsey (guest star Hal Holbrook), Sean (Jason Ritter) and Vicky (Taylor Cole) continue on their mission.

Episode 15 of 22

Promo:

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="512" height="354" align="middle"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/5-0/swf/DirectWidget.swf?CXNID=1000004.10045NXC&widID=4727a250e66f9723&configXML=http://www.nbc.com/service/videowidget/params/dmlkZW9faWQ9MTMxNTIzNA==/"/><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/5-0/swf/DirectWidget.swf?CXNID=1000004.10045NXC&widID=4727a250e66f9723&configXML=http://www.nbc.com/service/videowidget/params/dmlkZW9faWQ9MTMxNTIzNA==/" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" width="512" height="354" align="middle" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object>
Old 03-28-11, 03:08 PM

Received 763 Likes on 497 Posts
Re: The Event -- "Face Off" -- 3/28/11

The ride continues...
Old 03-28-11, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really hope they cancel this.

I now, no ones is forcing me (to watch), but still.
Old 03-28-11, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Does this feature face transplant surgery between Nic Cage and John Travolta, or a competition between aspiring makeup artists?
Old 03-28-11, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today was a pretty wicked little episode. I hope they DON'T cancel this, cause it has picked up now that they're off the whole looking for the sister storyline.
Old 03-28-11, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just started watching and Taylor Cole running is a major plus; the day/night difference between DC and LA reminds me of a bit Hugh Fink used to do where his dad didn't know time zones "It's 5'o clock here, what is it, Monday over there?"
Old 03-29-11, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk God

The show has really picked up in the 2nd half of the season. Too bad it's probably too little too late.

Okay, now that was a pretty sick episode. Loved the special effects in the scene where the Washington Monument came tumbling down.

And finally, Martinez has some fricking balls to take out the aliens. Loved the Apache taking out 2 of the buses including Thomas.

at the driving scene in France with Sean and Vicky. Maybe I'm just a more observant TV viewer, but that looked so fake. Obviously that was shot on a green screen in a sound stage like most shows do for driving scenes.
Old 03-29-11, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
And finally, Martinez has some fricking balls to take out the aliens. Loved the Apache taking out 2 of the buses including Thomas.
Really? I thought he pussed out again. We're talking alien invasion here, aliens who want to conquer the human race and take over the planet. There's going to be a few broken eggs.

When Sonia issued her 10 minute warning, he should have sent a dozen JDAMs through the roof of the church. Given that he let them board the bus, he should have lined up enough Apaches to take out the three buses simultaneously.

The portal complex is perfectly visible to human eyesight (or we wouldn't be able to see those scenes). Our satellites (and software) are capable of looking for anomalies and kicking the image to a human for interpretation. We should be able to find the portal site and nuke it.

Of course, "throwing down" and one side or the other winning would make for a short mini-series.
Old 03-29-11, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 598 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by OldDude

The portal complex is perfectly visible to human eyesight (or we wouldn't be able to see those scenes). Our satellites (and software) are capable of looking for anomalies and kicking the image to a human for interpretation. We should be able to find the portal site and nuke it.
That's what makes no sense to me.
Old 03-29-11, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Really? I thought he pussed out again. We're talking alien invasion here, aliens who want to conquer the human race and take over the planet. There's going to be a few broken eggs.

When Sonia issued her 10 minute warning, he should have sent a dozen JDAMs through the roof of the church. Given that he let them board the bus, he should have lined up enough Apaches to take out the three buses simultaneously.
Martinez was about to attack the church after one of the SWAT members got shot, but Sophia launched the attack on DC. He had no way of knowing if another attack was going to happen until they decrypted Simon's message and found out it was a bluff. The time frame of them decrypting the message was convenient TV writing. Yeah there is going to be casualties, but since she specifically targetted DC, he didn't want to put the life of himself, his family and the rest of the White House at risk.

The time it would have taken to assemble a team or F1 to destroy the Portal, Sophia could have easily launched another attack (even though they didn't have enough energy to do it). So I don't think it would have been that easy. At least he finally had the balls to take out all the aliens, including possibly innocent ones who only came there to listen to Thomas.
Old 03-29-11, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great episode. If only all episodes were as good as this one.
Old 03-29-11, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
Martinez was about to attack the church after one of the SWAT members got shot, but Sophia launched the attack on DC. He had no way of knowing if another attack was going to happen until they decrypted Simon's message and found out it was a bluff. The time frame of them decrypting the message was convenient TV writing. Yeah there is going to be casualties, but since she specifically targetted DC, he didn't want to put the life of himself, his family and the rest of the White House at risk.

The time it would have taken to assemble a team or F1 to destroy the Portal, Sophia could have easily launched another attack (even though they didn't have enough energy to do it). So I don't think it would have been that easy. At least he finally had the balls to take out all the aliens, including possibly innocent ones who only came there to listen to Thomas.
Sophia is using our cellular infrastructure to communicate her orders. Shut it down around the church, then bomb them.

While it is nonsense, they pretend they can't find the portal location yet, so they can't attack it. But they can shut down Sophia's comms, then shut down Sophia and 187 other aliens.

Also a wussy attack on the buses. By not attacking in force, one got away.
(I suspect an Apache could maintain target acquisition on three targets and take them in quick succession, but if not, use three Apaches) You just know the ones that get away are going to be pissed.
Old 03-29-11, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

cool episode, but I really wanted them to raid the church. I miss 24...haha, they would have raided it without a second thought.

anyways, I was very entertained and can't wait for the next episode.
Old 03-29-11, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

The Washington monument destruction was great, but would have been so much better if not shown in the previews.
Old 03-29-11, 07:41 PM
ATX

the apache "attack" was the most pussiest military strike ever on tv, lol... then elias looks shocked when the 3rd bus portaled ...maybe you should have sent out a few apaches and shock/awed the buses and been done with it

any perceived "balls" that elias has is a residual from that nightmare he had last week where he was getting punked by his cabinet and sophia

---

good if sean is gonna hookup with the dark haired girl and leave the halfbreed behind permanently, i was kinda hoping she woulda been on a diff bus so she'd get blown up, but dad is sophias right hand

---

you know what always bugged me about the show is the whole alien shit, ok so right early on they state that the guys are aliens (i think they could have came up with something more), then in later promos they are allegedly taking back the earth, then there "home planet" is gonna go supernova..wtf

so you got this old guy that i guess is "ancient" , maybe he's an alien too.., i think i remember him in an earlier episode where his face was morphing. he says something about guardian angels and got a symbol on his forearm

i cant figure where they are going with this, the alien from another planet shit is too simple and lame, plus they have no special ability and can die just like a human... ok so they don't age as fast and they have more advanced technology,

i'll continue to watch and hope some cool story comes from it all, wanna see what happens with simon
Old 03-29-11, 08:11 PM

I think what they are going for is that the Sophia aliens have visited before or that other aliens have visited before and that Hal Holbrook is from a different race of aliens who protect Earth from invaders.
Old 03-29-11, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ATX
so you got this old guy that i guess is "ancient" , maybe he's an alien too.., i think i remember him in an earlier episode where his face was morphing. he says something about guardian angels and got a symbol on his forearm

i cant figure where they are going with this, the alien from another planet shit is too simple and lame, plus they have no special ability and can die just like a human... ok so they don't age as fast and they have more advanced technology,

i'll continue to watch and hope some cool story comes from it all, wanna see what happens with simon
Maybe the old man is some other brand of alien, and here as a "guardian angel" to protect us from aliens of Sophia's type. Apparently, he was only experimenting on half-breed girls (alien/human) so maybe he isnb't as bad as he first seemed. But we don't really know enough about him yet. Could go either way.
Old 03-29-11, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ATX
the apache "attack" was the most pussiest military strike ever on tv, lol... then elias looks shocked when the 3rd bus portaled ...maybe you should have sent out a few apaches and shock/awed the buses and been done with it
Would you even need more than one? I'm no military expert, but an Apache vs. 3 city buses on an open road? Seems like it could just hang to the side and take them out in a few seconds. Oh well, it wouldn't be The Event without a few wtf moments.

I really enjoyed the episode. The show is moving at a brisk pace now.
Old 03-29-11, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,352 Likes on 917 Posts

Maybe the old man is some other brand of alien, and here as a "guardian angel" to protect us from aliens of Sophia's type. Apparently, he was only experimenting on half-breed girls (alien/human) so maybe he isnb't as bad as he first seemed. But we don't really know enough about him yet. Could go either way.
that's kind of the feeling I got from his little speech, but who knows. nothing on this show makes sense anymore.
Old 03-29-11, 09:09 PM

That reminds me of another thing, the whole "Elias, your wife won't take the test" stuff doesn't gel with the pilot, how she was on the same boat as him and that they grew up together.
Old 03-29-11, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
Would you even need more than one? I'm no military expert, but an Apache vs. 3 city buses on an open road? Seems like it could just hang to the side and take them out in a few seconds.
They explained this by having the helicopter moving as if it's a plane instead of a vehicle capable of remaining stationary in the air. So once it fired its 1st missile, it had to cirlce around for the 2nd, and then circle around again for the 3rd. Luckily the action moved quickly because I went from really irritated at the stupidity to forgetting about it and watching the next scene.
Old 03-29-11, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been really bothered by something since I watched this episode. I feel like they have really, really ****Ed with the characterization of the aliens as a race. The entire point up until the last two episodes was that they were basically benevolent, peaceful aliens with one whack job. The entire Clea DuVall character proved that. Then they take it to a point where I, as a viewer, was cheering for them to kill every last one of those bastards on the buses, first and foremost Sophia. I have really, really, really mixed feelings about that.

First and foremost, they are still trying to show them in a sympathetic light with the dying planet and Sophia losing her son. There is nothing sympathetic about them now. It's them or us. They want to bring their entire people over here without our consent, kill a hundred and destroy the symbol of our nation? Freak that. Die you alien scum. Secondly, it doesn't really help the chances of the story continuing. The aliens have to remain free as long as the story goes on. The entire time, I simply will be hoping we wipe them out. Likewise, this isn't getting a second season, so the point is moot. I just feel the writers backed themselves into a really tiny corner by turning the aliens into an us versus them. And if you weren't cheering on the Apache every time one of those buses exploded, either I really missed something or you did. I'm loving the show, and I'm glad I want them all to go bye-bye now, it makes for a better story. But I'm not sure how it works with the way the writers have been, and seem to continue to be writing it, and the prospects of the story if it had even a small chance of continuing.
Old 03-30-11, 12:10 AM

Well a couple of things: there seems to still be a divide between being violent and peaceful as in Agent Lee and Sarah and also don't forget the stuff from the remainder of the season promo.
Spoiler:
Thomas isn't dead and grey-hair teleporter-guy knows where he is.
Old 03-30-11, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by gmanca
Well a couple of things: there seems to still be a divide between being violent and peaceful as in Agent Lee and Sarah and also don't forget the stuff from the remainder of the season promo.
Spoiler:
Thomas isn't dead and grey-hair teleporter-guy knows where he is.
I get there are still a couple of "peaceful" aliens left. Problem is, you're talking two out of two hundred. And they want to bring their entire planet over. They are clearly all the enemy now, and it just doesn't jibe with the story thus far for me.

I wasn't aware of the spoiler, and I am personally disappointed they are being that... Weak in their writing. The whole episode has a dramatically reduced impact by that spoiler being true. The show has improved dramatically, but stuff like this is why, no matter how good it has gotten, it failed initially. They can't seem to break the mold even when they seem on the verge of doing so.
Old 03-30-11, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What is it with these serialized shows that have come since Lost like Flashforward and "V" where they have no idea that they are going with the storyline.
It becomes evident on screen and it bleeds viewers.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.