Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Confession (Kiefer Sutherland) -- "Episodes 1-3" -- 3/28/11 (at 5am ET/2am PT)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Confession (Kiefer Sutherland) -- "Episodes 1-3" -- 3/28/11 (at 5am ET/2am PT)

Old 03-27-11, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,529 Posts

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-03-27

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
The Confession is a story of unique redemption and an exploration of good and evil featuring a hit man (Kiefer Sutherland), and a priest (John Hurt). The story begins on Christmas Eve, when the hit-man enters a church to confess his sins to the priest. Through a series of gripping flashbacks, the Confessor’s journey is revealed – laying out what has brought him to this moment and leading the audience to the dramatic ending where the man’s chances at ultimate redemption hang in the balance. While at first the Confessor seems to be an evil, cold-blooded killing machine and the Priest the ultimate arbiter of good, as the series develops it becomes clear that both characters are much more complicated than either could have suspected.

Starring:
Kiefer Sutherland (24)
John Hurt

Written and Directed by Brad Mirman

Trailer:

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/LOTcM21wVec4dpInOdLsmA"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/LOTcM21wVec4dpInOdLsmA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="288" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

If your a night owl or early bird, Kiefer Sutherland's new series "The Confession" is premiering tonight/tomorrow depending on where you live.

It's a 10 part series. Each part is 5-10 minutes long. 3 episodes will be posted 1st. If your in Canada, sorry not available to you guys.

Not exactly a new show for Kiefer, but it looks cool.
Old 03-27-11, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: The Confession (Kiefer Sutherland) -- "Episodes 1-3" -- 3/28/11 (at 5am ET/2am PT

Here's the direct link to the Hulu page:

http://www.hulu.com/the-confession

Also FYI, this series is available on Hulu Plus, if you have a Blu-Ray player or HDTV capable of getting Hulu Plus & subscribe (which I do ) , you can watch this in 16X9 HD 720P on your TV.

KStublen: I know your will be watching and posting your thoughts.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-27-11 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-27-11, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts
Re: The Confession (Kiefer Sutherland) -- "Episodes 1-3" -- 3/28/11 (at 5am ET/2am PT

I'll be tuning in...

...on Monday evening

haha
Old 03-27-11, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
KStublen: I know your will be watching and posting your thoughts.
Nice to know I've developed a reputation around here.

But yes, I'm really looking forward to it and will probably check it out tonight or tomorrow. For a web series, it looks to have pretty good production value, and the cast is great.

God, I miss 24...
Old 03-28-11, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk God

FYI these are now online (3 episodes)

Going to stream them through my Blu-Ray player and watch them in HD.
Old 03-28-11, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Holy shit that was pretty badass! My only complaint was they weren't long enough. I went through all 3 episodes so fast. They also wasted precious time with a "Previously On" bit before the episode started. Really did we really need those? This isn't 24.

It was so awesome to hear Kiefer drop F bombs, mostly in chapter 2 and 3.

The opening episode with Confessor threatening to kill the women in the church to the Priest with the cliffhanger was great. Kiefer and John Hurt acting off each other was really solid. It was pretty sweet to hear Sean Callery's score on this. It's interesting to see this plot about a man with no conscience trying to understand faith.

Arty to Confessor (Michael Badalucco from The Practice): "Fuck You!"

Confessor: "Fuck Me? No Fuck You!" And then it beats the shit out of him with the Crowe bar.

The Junkie that Confessor hung out with on that job was a terrible actor though. Loved it when Kiefer shot him in the head.

BTW, the episodes look great in HD. If you have a Hulu Plus capable TV or Blu-Ray player, I recommend watching it through there.
Old 03-28-11, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk God

BTW, the production value was actually not bad. Even though this is a web series, it didn't feel cheap at all.
Old 03-28-11, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Loved it! Can't wait to see the rest of the chapters.

This is a pretty unique idea and it's great to see two big names like Kiefer Sutherland and John Hurt get behind such a project. Nice that Kiefer brought Sean Callery along as well for the score. For a web series, the production value was great. Reminds me of Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog in that way; you know there can't be that much money available for the project, yet they attach some big names and make the project look very polished and professional.

The episodes are definitely too short, but I think that's a good thing. It really does leaves you wanting more and each chapter ends with a solid cliffhanger.

It's pretty cool to see Kiefer play a bad guy after seeing him play the hero for so long, Phone Booth notwithstanding. This sort of plays out as a "what if Jack Bauer didn't have a strong moral compass?" type of scenario. It's also nice to see they aren't pulling any punches when it comes to language and violence.

Kiefer Sutherland and John Hurt have some great chemistry as well. The back-and-forth is great and they both play well off one another. It's easy to get drawn into the Confessor's parts because they're so badass, but the Priest is just as compelling as he tries to understand, help, and stop a murderer.

The story is pretty great too. When I first heard about the project, I figured the Confessor was hired to kill the Priest, and eventually that's where it was going to lead, but it doesn't appear to be going in that direction, thankfully. They actually made the Confessor going to the church to talk to the Priest believable; it is highly unlikely this experienced hitman has ever encountered someone who just wanted to make peace with God before being killed, so I can see that shaking him and causing him to seek a better understanding.

I'm also glad that they had the Confessor and the Priest meet face-to-face so quickly. Not only does it open up the playing field a little for the writers, it makes you wonder what the ultimate resolution will be, since the Confessor obviously doesn't leave any loose ends behind.
Old 03-28-11, 12:20 PM

Received 763 Likes on 497 Posts

The Junkie that Confessor hung out with on that job was a terrible actor though. Loved it when Kiefer shot him in the head.
The years have not been kind to Max Casella (Doogie Howser MD, Newsies).

Pretty engaging story in such short spurts. Though I could do without some of the language. He is talking to a priest.
Old 03-28-11, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Goldberg74

Pretty engaging story in such short spurts. Though I could do without some of the language. He is talking to a priest.
That was him? Wow, I did not recognize him at all.

As for the language.... Even though this isn't Jack Bauer, you know you were fantasizing Kiefer playing a Jack-like character dropping F bombs.
Old 03-28-11, 02:58 PM

Received 763 Likes on 497 Posts

It was the voice that tipped me off. Then if you look close...

He looks older than 43 (he was born in '67).
Old 03-28-11, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts

What channel/network was this on?
Old 03-28-11, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by slop101
What channel/network was this on?
It's on channel Hulu (It's a web series)
Old 03-28-11, 03:31 PM

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts

Very impressed with this thus far I suppose it opens the door for more Hulu original programming in the future (incentive to subscribe, etc).
Old 03-28-11, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Brad Mirman, the writer and director of this series, just posted on Twitter that they will only post 1 episode per week now until the finale (episodes 9 and 10)
Old 03-28-11, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I sort of suspected they'd only do one a week following the premiere.
Old 03-28-11, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

hell to the yea! That was awesome!

24 on steroids!

I'm also glad Sean Callery was part of this.
Old 03-28-11, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Count me in as another who really liked this. The structure of it is nicely done. It's basically a two-man play, but the flashbacks give a nice change of pace and spice it up.
Old 03-29-11, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

Loved it.

Sure wish this could be made into a real show or movie. Just fantastic...
Old 03-30-11, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Michael Corvin:

Where the hell are you man? I thought you would be all over this, especially with Kiefer involved? I'm surprised there aren't more 24 fans chiming in. I mean there is 1,500+ views so far, so I assume some of you are watching?

FYI,

Brad Mirman posted on his blog a poll asking viewers what they want the DVD/BD release to be. Either a 60 minute movie edited together or 10 Chapters broken up. The 60 minute movie is currently in the lead.
Old 03-30-11, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
It may just be the getup. He was in most of Boardwalk Empire S1 and I didn't think he looked anywhere near that terrible.
Old 03-30-11, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Michael Corvin:

Where the hell are you man? I thought you would be all over this, especially with Kiefer involved? I'm surprised there aren't more 24 fans chiming in. I mean there is 1,500+ views so far, so I assume some of you are watching?
I too am surprised more 24 fans around here aren't watching this. It's not like it's that big a commitment either, just tune in for a few minutes each chapter and that's that.

FYI,

Brad Mirman posted on his blog a poll asking viewers what they want the DVD/BD release to be. Either a 60 minute movie edited together or 10 Chapters broken up. The 60 minute movie is currently in the lead.
I wondered whether this would get a DVD/Blu-ray release, glad to hear it's going to.

I'm not sure which I would prefer. Honestly though, there's no reason they can't just include both options on the same disc.