DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Unreleased Director's and Unrated cuts

BillWatkins
03-23-11, 10:38 AM
Did a search but couldn't find an existing thread...

What films have a Director's Cut or Unrated Cut (excised nudity or violence) that has not made it to DVD yet? Curious to know.

Also, are there any films that were hacked by the studios that the Director has not yet even had an opportunity to create a Director's Cut?

ScissorPuppy
03-23-11, 01:33 PM
The Crow: City of Angels had an original Director's cut that was rejected. It was recut to fit closer to the storyline of the first film. A ppv version changed some scenes around, and then a "director's cut" came out on VHS that really only extended a few scenes. But it was not the original cut the Director wanted released.

Judge Dredd had an original longer cut, the last act was pretty much hacked away.

hasslein
03-23-11, 02:15 PM
These aren't really director's cuts but

Two Minute Warning and Earthquake both had substantial footage shot for network airings that hasn't been released.

March or Die there is a much longer cut that hasn't been available.

Hawaii is another off the top of my head...

Michael Corvin
03-23-11, 02:26 PM
The Crow: City of Angels had an original Director's cut that was rejected. It was recut to fit closer to the storyline of the first film. A ppv version changed some scenes around, and then a "director's cut" came out on VHS that really only extended a few scenes. But it was not the original cut the Director wanted released.

As well as Proyas' Director's cut of The Crow. Still want that bad boy.

Ash Ketchum
03-23-11, 02:28 PM

Two Minute Warning and Earthquake both had substantial footage shot for network airings that hasn't been released.

March or Die there is a much longer cut that hasn't been available.

Hawaii is another off the top of my head...

BLOODLINE (1979) aired in a much longer version on TV. So did SUPERMAN (1978). Don't know what happened to those cuts, which I'd like to see again.

Sam Peckinpah's PAT GARRETT AND BILLY THE KID (1973) was butchered by the studio (MGM) before release. A different cut aired on TV, with scenes not in the theatrical cut. At some point (late 1980s? Early '90s?), a director's cut was shown in theaters and then came out on VHS. The TV cut has scenes not in any other version. I had it on tape but mistakenly taped over it. The director's cut was the best version, but the TV cut was pretty good, also.

BullGooseLoony
03-23-11, 03:33 PM
The Avengers lost anywhere between 1/2 hour and a full hour of footage prior to its release. The studio originally had it pegged for a June 14th, 1998 release date, but after some poor test screenings, they bumped it to mid-August, released it less theaters, and cut out of a ton of footage, much of which could be seen in the trailers, tv spots, and even the damn "Making of" special that aired on HBO. The novelization was written based on the original version of the film is pretty much a perfect glimpse of what the movie would originally looked like. The movie wasn't perfect by any means, but one of the big complaints was that it didn't make any sense, and that's because serious plot threads were just completely removed. At the very least, a longer cut would readd those plot threads.

Eddie W
03-23-11, 03:46 PM
Fast Times at Ridgemont High & Re-Animator are two that I remember that were substantially different films in their initial network TV airings due to the replacement footage. Though I think at least Re-Animotor has these TV scenes as bonus features. Would like to see a full cut of Fast Times someday though.

Giles
03-23-11, 04:38 PM
off the top of my head, there's:

- Hard Target - the workprint version featured alot of the violence that got cut for it's US R-rated theatrical version

- The Birdcage (expanded for TV, great previousily deleted footage reinstated, but the more R-rated scenes were trimmed for broadcast airing - would love to see a definitive cut with all the scenes get released on dvd/bluray)

- Lawnmower Man - expanded tv cut

- Needful Things - expanded tv cut

as for 'Fast Times', the film even lost footage per the request of the MPAA in order to receive it's R-rating.

wm lopez
03-23-11, 06:35 PM
Maybe the best one of all THE GODFATHER novel for t.v.

JJE-187
03-23-11, 07:17 PM
The Cooler had a Unrated cut on TV/PPV but not on DVD

rw2516
03-23-11, 07:33 PM
Read once that Peter Hunt's original cut of On Her Majesty's Secret Service was close to 3 hours. 40 minutes cut.

Chet Desmond
03-23-11, 07:40 PM
I'd love to see the director's cut of "Blair Witch 2".

critterdvd
03-23-11, 07:41 PM
The TV version of "The Goonies" runs about 7 minutes longer and there have been rumors for years that the original cut of the film was 200+ minutes... I would love to one day get my hands on that print...

joe_b
03-23-11, 09:20 PM
Halloween 6 - bootlegs abound for this one, but I'm still surprised Dimension had been too lazy to milk the Michael Myer fans with an official release. I believe that Echo Bridge has this title now? Their no frills approach to budget releases makes an extended cut even less likely.

High Spirits- Neil Jordan's original edit was supposedly much different. The studio made drastic cuts to keep it a light comedy. His director's cut is probably sitting in a vault somewhere, but I'm sure there is little interest at MGM in revisiting the title. Maybe if they put out a BD they'll try to locate those missing elements, but I kinda doubt it. I'd buy it.

The Apple- Yeah, one of the worst movies ever, but it definitely has a cult audience. Recently, MGM provided the original (disasterous) test screening print to a theater for a midnight showing and it has been screened several times since. It featured several cut scenes including the wedding of the main characters who were now living as a bunch of dirty hippies in a cave somewhere - maybe the birth of their child as well. Plus, more bad musical numbers!

SterlingBen
03-23-11, 09:33 PM
House Of The Dead

Return of the Living Dead 3 (was released on VHS)

Return of the Living Dead

Almost all of the Friday the 13th movies

The Empire Strikes Back

Puppet Master

Pretty Baby

The Cannonball Run

The Twilight Zone Movie*

Those are just the ones that come to mind, I used to know of a lot of these...

SterlingBen
03-23-11, 09:35 PM
Fast Times at Ridgemont High & Re-Animator are two that I remember that were substantially different films in their initial network TV airings due to the replacement footage. Though I think at least Re-Animotor has these TV scenes as bonus features. Would like to see a full cut of Fast Times someday though.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/520702-have-you-ever-made-fan-cut-film-do-you-want.html

joe_b
03-23-11, 09:40 PM
The Brady Bunch Movie also had a ton of stuff added for the TV version, including a Maureen McCormick cameo. I'd love a special edition BD release, but with Paramount discontinuing so much of their catalog titles (including BD), let's just hope they get their heads out of their asses or start licensing their films to other labels.

SterlingBen
03-23-11, 09:46 PM
^ Think they will go Burn on Demand like Warner?

joe_b
03-23-11, 11:19 PM
That would be a start, but I'd just be happy if they put more of their existing titles back in print. Still, I'd love to see them license films like Don't Look Now or The Tenant to Criterion for proper special editions.

But on topic: Superman Returns had that whole multi-million dollar "return to Krypton" sequence that still hasn't seen the light of day. Also, I'd love to see an extended cut of The Golden Compass with the original ending restored. I'm sure Warner doesn't see they point of reinstating a cliffhanger for a film that never got a sequel, but I'm sure most fan's of the book would want to see it.

Geofferson
03-24-11, 10:03 AM
Supernova and Ransom both come to mind. I remember seeing the extended cut of Ransom on LD several years ago. I believe it reinstated 15 minutes or so (scenes felt redundant).

asianxcore
03-24-11, 03:39 PM
Nightbreed

ScissorPuppy
03-24-11, 06:46 PM
off the top of my head, there's:

- Hard Target - the workprint version featured alot of the violence that got cut for it's US R-rated theatrical version

I heard about a 3rd cut of the film that Van Damme made and submited to producers, and it featured A LOT more close up's of his face.

joe_b
03-24-11, 10:08 PM
NightbreedThis. I read that they finally located all the missing footage a while back, but Warner didn't feel the film even warranted a BD release. :doh:

Giles
03-24-11, 10:33 PM
Sarafina! - the laserdisc version was the extended R-rated cut. The DVD the PG-13 theatrical version

Giles
03-24-11, 10:35 PM
That would be a start, but I'd just be happy if they put more of their existing titles back in print. Still, I'd love to see them license films like Don't Look Now or The Tenant to Criterion for proper special editions.

But on topic: Superman Returns had that whole multi-million dollar "return to Krypton" sequence that still hasn't seen the light of day. Also, I'd love to see an extended cut of The Golden Compass with the original ending restored. I'm sure Warner doesn't see they point of reinstating a cliffhanger for a film that never got a sequel, but I'm sure most fan's of the book would want to see it.

in regards to The Golden Compass the studio basically took over editing reins and did it themselves, surprisingly director Chris Weitz doesn't speak at all about the cuts on his commentary track on the dvd/bluray.

Giles
03-24-11, 10:36 PM
The Brady Bunch Movie also had a ton of stuff added for the TV version, including a Maureen McCormick cameo. I'd love a special edition BD release, but with Paramount discontinuing so much of their catalog titles (including BD), let's just hope they get their heads out of their asses or start licensing their films to other labels.

I didn't know that, I'll have to try and track down the edit of the film.

Giles
03-24-11, 10:50 PM
A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Dream Child - was released in an unrated version on VHS, the DVD is the R-rated version.

Giles
03-24-11, 10:51 PM
Nightbreed

I hope you signed the email campaign to release this!

Clive Barker Needs Emails for Nightbreed Director's Cut Dvd (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/556006-clive-barker-needs-emails-nightbreed-directors-cut-dvd.html)

Giles
03-24-11, 10:57 PM
House Of The Dead

Return of the Living Dead 3 (was released on VHS)

Return of the Living Dead

Almost all of the Friday the 13th movies

The Empire Strikes Back

Puppet Master

Pretty Baby

The Cannonball Run

The Twilight Zone Movie*

Those are just the ones that come to mind, I used to know of a lot of these...

I really really want to see the missing gore scenes from 2 and 5 - 2's scenes though I think are gone for good.

~

54 has long been rumoured to have a director's cut coming out for a while now, but nothing new has been mentioned.

Rizor
03-25-11, 12:32 AM
in regards to The Golden Compass the studio basically took over editing reins and did it themselves, surprisingly director Chris Weitz doesn't speak at all about the cuts on his commentary track on the dvd/bluray.The studio approves extras, etc. I'm sure he chose not to speak about it out of tact and with the hopes New Line would still do a sequel or a proper DC. He's since spoken about it now that it's clear neither of those things will happen.

critterdvd
03-25-11, 02:10 PM
54 has long been rumoured to have a director's cut coming out for a while now, but nothing new has been mentioned.

Despite it's flaws I've always really loved that film. I hope one day the director's cut gets a proper release. I could never figure out why to studio edited the film down to a paltry 90 odd minutes to begin with...

asianxcore
03-25-11, 03:28 PM
This. I read that they finally located all the missing footage a while back, but Warner didn't feel the film even warranted a BD release. :doh:

I know a Workprint was found and screened at Horrorhound Convention last year.

I hope you signed the email campaign to release this!

Clive Barker Needs Emails for Nightbreed Director's Cut Dvd (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/556006-clive-barker-needs-emails-nightbreed-directors-cut-dvd.html)

I did! :)

sauce07
03-25-11, 04:29 PM
Spy Kids had a extended cut released into theaters, never released on a home format.

heebiejeebie
03-25-11, 07:25 PM
Mimic - I believe Guillermo del Toro has said in interviews that he's completed his Director's Cut, but it's never been released.

Ghoulies - The R-rated/unrated version was released on VHS, but the dvd is the PG-13 Theatrical Version.

SterlingBen
03-25-11, 08:26 PM
House Of The Dead

I meant House Of 1000 Corpses.

Jedi Master 33
03-26-11, 01:15 AM
Superman 2 had a expanded TV version.

SterlingBen
03-26-11, 02:32 AM
Superman 2 had a expanded TV version.

Isn't that the Richard Donner Cut they released?

Also Terminator Salvation was rumored to have a much longer cut than the "directors cut" that eventually did come out on DVD.

Jedi Master 33
03-26-11, 06:49 AM
Isn't that the Richard Donner Cut they released?
No, not quite.

American Broadcasting CompanyIn 1984, when Superman II premiered on television, 24 minutes were re-inserted into the film (17 minutes on ABC). Much of the extra footage was directed by Richard Donner. In the ABC-TV version, a U.S. "polar patrol" is shown picking up the three Kryptonians and Lex Luthor at the end of the film. Without this ending, it appears that Superman has let the Kryptonians die, though Superman has a strict code against killing and their deaths aren't necessary once they are depowered. On the other hand, the theatrical version's ending implies that Luthor is left stranded at the Fortress of Solitude, leaving the viewer to wonder how he got to prison in Superman IV: The Quest for Peace — that question was answered in the extended versions. The ending of the extended cuts also has Superman, with Lois standing beside him, destroying the Fortress of Solitude.

More specifically:

In the ABC-TV version, Superman passes a Concorde jet on his way to Paris. This is not in the video release and was actually an outtake from Superman: The Movie as a bridge between Superman saving Air Force One and his conversation with Jor-El after his first night.
At the end of the film, Clark Kent bumps into a large bald guy, which reminds him to go to the diner to face the obnoxious trucker who beat him up earlier.
Superman destroys the Fortress of Solitude.
The Phantom Zone villains land outside the Fortress of Solitude with Lex Luthor and Lois Lane, trying to figure out how to get in.
Extended scenes of the three Kryptonians invasion of the White House, with Zod using a gun and Non frightening a dog.
Superman cooks souffle using his heat vision, during dinner with Lois at the Fortress of Solitude.
Extended discussion between Zod and Ursa on the moon.
The three Kryptonian villains are arrested in the TV version.
Much of the added footage was later restored for the 2006 Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut.

Also, there were various edits due to content issues:

Much violence in the opening White House scene was left out.
Much of the bully's line in the bar ("I don't like your meat anyway!") was altered to "I don't like you anyway" as the original line was too sexually suggestive for ABC.
About 35 seconds of the "battle of Metropolis Road" (Superman flying over Metropolis River) was deleted.
Some language and profanity were re-dubbed.
[edit] Canadian versionDuring the 1980s, CFCF12 cable 11 screened an edition of Superman II that was differently edited to that to the one shown on in the United States on ABC. This particular version has only been screened once in Canada. The first Canadian broadcast of Superman II had an additional few seconds of dialogue as Luthor and Miss Tessmacher were stopped on a snow bank admiring the Fortress of Solitude. In the first U.S. broadcast (the same evening), the scene begins abruptly as Luthor starts the snow mobile immediately after the dialogue sequence.

Scenes seen in the Canadian version but not in the ABC version include:

A little girl watching the destruction of East Houston by the Kryptonians on TV.
Longer conversation between Lois and Superman after he destroys the Fortress of Solitude.
Lex Luthor taking Perry White's coffee during the Times Square battle.
Lex and Miss Tessmacher admiring the Fortress of Solitude.
Lex's negotiating with Superman after they leave the fortress is longer.
All the footage mentioned that had been added for various network telecasts were incorporated into an even longer cut of the film that aired in some countries in Europe (the other U.S./Canadian cuts were derived from this version). Prepared by the Salkinds' production company, it is this 146-minute version that some Superman fans remastered from the best-possible materials into a professionally-made "Restored International Cut" DVD for availability on one of the many Superman fan sites. However, such plans backfired when Warner Bros. threatened legal action against the bootleg release. The RIC, like the longer version of Superman, may still be found on Internet forums and in sci-fi conventions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_II#Broadcast_television_versions

Julie Walker
03-27-11, 01:52 AM

I think it'd be awesome if studios would release the tv edits in these cases along with the theatrical versions. It's interesting how they sometimes filmed footage just for the tv version and the editing was usually pretty sloppy as well. But it's fascinating nonetheless and should be released since these versions rarely show up on tv today which is a shame. I've seen the Earthquake tv version before, but not Two Minute Warning, and it's rumored that version aired on the Sleuth network before but I missed it.

Jade and The Mangler were released unrated on VHS but not on dvd.

Mondo Kane
03-27-11, 02:19 AM
I meant House Of 1000 Corpses.

Zombie said (On the commentary) that there was still extra gory footage available during the "Fish boy" scene.

thelonelyisland
03-27-11, 02:34 AM
SCARY MOVIE 1 (2000)
Released DVD & Blu-Ray, now LG is re-releasing them but just same-old,same-old

mickey65
03-27-11, 08:38 AM

There are extra scenes also that were done for TV versions of "Little Darlings" (which is yet to be released to DVD) and also of Sixteen Candles.

Undeadcow
03-27-11, 10:36 AM
Hellraiser (IV): Hellbound

SterlingBen
03-27-11, 11:23 AM
Unrated Version of Hellraiser 3 never made it to DVD as far as I know.

Also 2 unreleased Directors Cuts that are soon coming out on BR and DVD respectively are Captain America (1990) & Cyborg (1989).

Robert
03-27-11, 11:44 AM
Hellraiser (IV): Hellbound

You mean Hellraiser IV: Bloodline.

Robert
03-27-11, 11:46 AM
Unrated Version of Hellraiser 3 never made it to DVD as far as I know.

Someone posted in another thread saying the OOP dvd is the unrated version even though it says it's rated R on the cover.

Robert
03-27-11, 11:54 AM
I would love to see the ultra-violent cut of <b>Cliffhanger</b>. The imdb says they had to cut so much bloody violence out for an R rating.

Giles
03-27-11, 11:58 AM
no unrated cut of Scream on bluray ... :mad:

Rodriguez notes in his commentary for Desperado the MPAA made him cut back the opening bar sequence and it's violence way back.