Reload this Page >

All My Children: the end may be near.

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-22-11, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Looks like another soap opera may bite the dust.

NEW YORK - The end may be near for “All My Children,” the ABC soap opera that has been on the air for 41 years.

The cancellation announcement could be imminent, according to a report on TV Squad. When the show debuted, Richard Nixon was in the White House, the war in Vietnam raged and the Beatles had just broken up.

But television executives are paid to ignore sentimentality. The show is past its prime and something may have to be done. According to Deadline, the show finished last in the important demographic of women 18-49. It was watched by 463,000 people in that group, a drop of 34% against a year ago. The soap also finished last in total viewers, accounting for 2.32 million.

Nothing is sacred. TV executives may have to re-think the concept of the soap opera altogether. The Internet, computer games, gadgets, cable news and talk radio have encroached on TV in general, and soaps, which offer mindless fantasy, look ripe to be victims.

And “All My Children,” which launched the career of many TV stars, wouldn’t be the first long-running soap to get the axe. CBS (CBS) cancelled “As the World Turns” and Guiding Light” in recent years. Networks are realizing that viewers don’t need to follow the antics of Erica Kane and her ilk anymore to get their kicks.

If ABC, a unit of Walt Disney (DIS), killed the show, the move would surely mark the end of an era. But it looks like fewer and fewer viewers would notice.
Old 03-22-11, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: All My Children: the end may be near.

I watched this for years and still would if I had the time. I remember all those great characters. The original Opal Gardner & Jenny. Palmer, Benny, Haley & Dottie. David Canary as Adam/Stewart and of course Ruth Warrick as Phoebe Tyler.
Old 03-22-11, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't even know it was still going.
Old 03-22-11, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think one of the big reasons for their downfall is the rise of reality TV shows that have soap-like storylines.
Old 03-22-11, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

This rumor has been around for a while. I'd be surprised if it actually happened this year.
Old 03-22-11, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
This rumor has been around for a while. I'd be surprised if it actually happened this year.
I think the pattern that has been followed has been a cancellation announcement followed by a several month long final story arc where the writers can go nuts and execs hope they can squeeze some nostalgia eyeballs out of soap retirement. If they follow the Guiding Light timeline, a cancellation soon would mean new episodes through the summer and a September finale. As the World Turns appears to have had a longer run post-cancellation, but that may have been due to an early announcement -- it was also ended in September.
Old 03-22-11, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

There is also rumors of moving AMC back to NY and combining it with One Life to Live after trimming both casts significantly.
Old 03-22-11, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
I think one of the big reasons for their downfall is the rise of reality TV shows that have soap-like storylines.
I totally buy this reasoning. Stay-at-home parents are likely watching reality shows on their DVRs during the daytime hours.
Old 03-22-11, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ayre
I watched this for years and still would if I had the time. I remember all those great characters. The original Opal Gardner & Jenny. Palmer, Benny, Haley & Dottie. David Canary as Adam/Stewart and of course Ruth Warrick as Phoebe Tyler.
Yeah, so did I. I grew up with this show and watched it regularly up until college. I could never follow any other soap. Loved the craziness when no one in Pine Valley knew Adam had a twin he kept locked away. There was the story of Jenny & Greg and her time in New York. There were the bitter battles between Palmer and Adam. And who could forget when Tad did it with the daughter (Liza) and her mother at the same time. Erica had her own troubles with her demon seed of a daughter played by the girl who starred in "Buffy". Those were the golden years for the show. It is nice to see a lot of familiar faces have returned in recent years like Jessie, Angie, Dixie, etc. Though I only caught it recently during their last anniversary (40th?), it would be sad to see this show end. What the hell would Erica do with her life? lol

Last edited by big whoppa; 03-22-11 at 08:24 PM.
Old 03-22-11, 08:21 PM

Absolutely. Why bother with Erica Kane when Snooki gets down dirtier?

Another problem is that daytime soaps cost quite a bit to produce,especially when you consider they tape 250 episodes every year. And many soaps have long-time actors on the payroll. Those actors aren't working for scale. But advertisers aren't looking to sale their products on shows with dwindling viewership.

If daytime soaps are to continue, they'll have to look at modeling themselves after reality TV or primetime teen dramas, who maximize their output for the cheapest rate possible.
Old 03-22-11, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Axeramm
There is also rumors of moving AMC back to NY and combining it with One Life to Live after trimming both casts significantly.
Why they spent millions to move AMC to LA in the first place is baffling. It didn't help reduce costs at all, it's still over budget.
Old 03-22-11, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Billy Clyde Tuggle.

Best soap character EVER.
Old 03-22-11, 08:30 PM

ABC was looking to offset costs for both AMC and General Hospital. Both are repeatedly over budget.

Once AMC moved, the writing was on the wall. Guiding Light did the same thing--moving from NY to Jersey--and shooting outside most of the time. It was just a bandage on a cut artery, as it were.

It's funny. One Life to Live is the ABC soap most figured to be canceled first, being the only NY based daytime drama left. But they stay under budget and tend to tell better stories.
Old 03-22-11, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard

Billy Clyde Tuggle.

Best soap character EVER.
I always thought he was a goober. He spoke like he had marbles in his mouth. Didn't he rape Opal? Poor Jenny had that for a father.
Old 03-22-11, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 573 Likes on 418 Posts

I've watched GH consistently for about 30 years now, I would be very unhappy to see that one go.
Old 03-22-11, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It seems like the remaining CBS pair and GH would be the last ones to go, I'd think. I don't know about the order of the other two ABC soaps and Days. My sense of things is that NBC is very impatient.
Old 03-22-11, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by big whoppa
I always thought he was a goober. He spoke like he had marbles in his mouth. Didn't he rape Opal? Poor Jenny had that for a father.
You're thinking of Ray Gardner.
Old 03-22-11, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
It seems like the remaining CBS pair and GH would be the last ones to go, I'd think. I don't know about the order of the other two ABC soaps and Days. My sense of things is that NBC is very impatient.
Days just got a two-year renewal through 2013.
Old 03-22-11, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Burgundy LaRue
ABC was looking to offset costs for both AMC and General Hospital. Both are repeatedly over budget.

Once AMC moved, the writing was on the wall. Guiding Light did the same thing--moving from NY to Jersey--and shooting outside most of the time. It was just a bandage on a cut artery, as it were.
The GL thing was very different. They couldn't afford a studio anymore, so they did LOTS of location shooting with shakey digital cameras, and leased buildings in beautiful Peapack, NJ to dress up as sets. They would even convert production offices into "apartments", etc. It was laughable. At least AMC still looks like a professional television production, and not local cable access.
Old 03-22-11, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

AMC is better than OLTL but not by much now.

Spanish soaps are the best though.
Old 03-22-11, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
You're thinking of Ray Gardner.
You're right. Thanks.
Old 03-22-11, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
I totally buy this reasoning. Stay-at-home parents are likely watching reality shows on their DVRs during the daytime hours.
I agree reality shows probably have taken some soap viewers away. I think that combined with other factors has led to the decline in soap viewership. I know a few people who are home during the day and used to be regular soap viewers. One of them is my cousin who has been working 4 pm-12 am schedule at a nursing home for years. She used to soaps during the day before work, but over time she got tired of storylines that lasted too long and she started watching reruns of different shows on cable channels. When DVR and Netflix came around she pretty much stopped watching soaps completely.

A few of my aunts who have been retired for years eventually grew tired of watching soap operas and they ended up becoming fans of cooking shows and some of the shows TLC, A&E, and Discovery air during the day.
Old 03-23-11, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 781 Likes on 655 Posts

The reason soaps died is that most women entered the workforce and have no free time to watch them during the day. It is that simple.
Old 03-23-11, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

They better not take my stories away!
Old 03-23-11, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ayre
That's when I watched it. Remember when Jenny worked at Foxy's? Liza was such a bitch!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.