Pretty Little Liars (ABC Family) -- Season 1 Discussion Thread -- 06/08/10

Old 06-08-10, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,529 Posts
Pretty Little Liars (ABC Family) -- Season 1 Discussion Thread -- 06/08/10

Pretty Little Liars

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
The series premiere of a drama about four estranged friends reuniting because of mysterious messages that suggest their missing friend is watching them. First up: Each girl receives a message about a personal secret she wants no one else to know. Among those secrets: a father's affair; some shoplifting charges; an attraction to a sister's fiancé; and an attraction to a female neighbor.

Starring:

Lucy Hale (Privileged, Bionic Woman)
Laura Leighton (Melrose Place)
Holly Marie Combs (Charmed, Picket Fences)
Ashley Benson (Eastwick)

I haven't heard too much about this show. I just happened to see a blurb about this on TVGuide.com. It's got some major eye candy in the cast (which I know appeals to alot of the guys here.) I loved Lucy Hale on Privileged. Cute as hell and is also a pretty good singer.

10 episodes for it's 1st season. Sounds like a mix of Gossip Girl, Sorority Row, and I Know What your Did Last Summer.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-08-10 at 04:32 AM.
Old 06-08-10, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Pretty Little Liars -- New Series -- "Pilot" -- 06/08/10

I'm a sucker for the ABC Family shows (I don't know why) so I'll be giving this a shot.

Plus, Lucy Hale
Old 06-08-10, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
I'm a sucker for the ABC Family shows (I don't know why) so I'll be giving this a shot.

Plus, Lucy Hale
Yeah I'm a sucker for them too....Greek and Make it or Break It. Both have lots of hot young girls and are quite entertaining too. I figured a show like this would get a comment from you.
Old 06-08-10, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't heard a thing about this, however, I also liked Lucy Hale on Privileged.

I may give it a shot.

Last edited by meritocracy; 06-08-10 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-09-10, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw the previews for this. Looks like Gossip Girls meets Twin Peaks.
Old 06-09-10, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, Entertainment Weekly gave this a D-. Yikes...
Old 06-09-10, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh. I forgot the similarity to I Know what you Did Last Summer but with cell phones.
Old 06-10-10, 02:16 AM

I have to admit I actually enjoyed it. I want to know who is sending the texts and hopefully it goes it's full 10 episodes and they wrap it up by the 10th because I don't think it has a chance of getting a second season! *lol*
Old 06-10-10, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk God

I actually liked this too. OMG, there was a ridiculous amount of eye candy in this show.

I think they set up an interesting arc with the 4 friends, the dead friend and the mysterious text messages. I like the whole mystery angle and the seeing the backstory of these characters.

^^ Eve: I don't know how many ABC Family shows you have seen, but they are usually structured in 10 episode blocks for 1 season. Greek, Secret Life, Make it or Break it all have aired split seasons with 10 episodes a piece. If the ratings are good for the next few episodes, I can see ABC Family ordering a 2nd block of 10 episodes for 2011. Ratings-wise they are pretty lenient and if the show gets 1-2M viewers, it will get more episodes. Greek somehow managed to get another season with barely 900K viewers.

And Wow! I really dig Shay Mitchell (Emily), the 3rd girl from the left who is the swimmer. Did anyone sense some sexual tension with her and the black girl that she was hanging out with? They nearly held hands and that kiss.

And of course I like Lucy Hale as Aria. It's interesting that they decided to take the whole jail bait angle with her and that teacher. Now I feel old when I see Holly Marie Combs playing her mother.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Nia Peeples as another regular cast member as Emily's Mom. Whoever cast this show did a hell of a job.

I'm assuming that Hanna's Mom (Laura Leighton) offered to sleep with that detective to get the shoplifting charges dropped against her daughter?

Last edited by DJariya; 06-10-10 at 03:23 AM.
Old 06-10-10, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Ratings for the 1st episode:

2.46M viewers and 0.9 in the 18-49 demographic.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/06/09...nxt-more/53637

That's damn good for ABC Family
Old 06-10-10, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya

^^ Eve: I don't know how many ABC Family shows you have seen, but they are usually structured in 10 episode blocks for 1 season. Greek, Secret Life, Make it or Break it all have aired split seasons with 10 episodes a piece. If the ratings are good for the next few episodes, I can see ABC Family ordering a 2nd block of 10 episodes for 2011. Ratings-wise they are pretty lenient and if the show gets 1-2M viewers, it will get more episodes. Greek somehow managed to get another season with barely 900K viewers.
OHH, that is good to know. This is actually the first ABC Family show I have seen, thanks for the info!
Old 06-10-10, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ratings for the 1st episode:

2.46M viewers and 0.9 in the 18-49 demographic.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/06/09...nxt-more/53637

That's damn good for ABC Family
That would be damn good for the CW !

I liked it. It's not high art, but seems like a fun summer show. I thought the girl who played Spencer was way too old. She looked like a mom.

I love that Chad Lowe and Laura Leighton are in this. They actually played love interests together on Melrose Place.
Old 06-10-10, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Jadzia
That would be damn good for the CW !

I liked it. It's not high art, but seems like a fun summer show. I thought the girl who played Spencer was way too old. She looked like a mom.

I love that Chad Lowe and Laura Leighton are in this. They actually played love interests together on Melrose Place.
If Melrose Place had ratings like this, it would have been a lock for a 2nd season.

And your right about Spencer (Troian Bellisario)---For anyone else she's the 1st girl on the left.

She's turning 25 this year. I noticed that she's the daughter of TV Producer Donald Bellisario, the creator of Quantum Leap, Jag and NCIS.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-10-10 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-15-10, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Pretty Little Liars -- "The Jenna Thing" -- 06/15/10

Pretty Little Liars

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Jenna Cavanaugh comes back to town, and her presence as well as questions about Ali's death force the girls to deal with the ugly past. Meanwhile, Aria tries to keep her distance from Ezra; and Spencer puts herself in Wren's orbit.

Episode 2 of 10.

The Pilot sucked me in. Gorgeous girls and an interesting serialized mystery.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/06/09...et-demos/53617

Apparently the Pilot was one of the highest rated premieres on ABC Family.

Personally for me, I want to see some more Emily
Old 06-16-10, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Pretty Little Liars -- "The Jenna Thing" -- 06/15/10

So, I watched episode 2 this afternoon and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I like how they are taking a voyeuristic approach to seeing the lives of these girls.

I swear the 2nd episode crammed in probably 5 episodes worth of storyline.

One thing I find interesting is how obvious they are making Emily (she's the girl in the purple dress in the OP) having a Bi-Curious storyline. There is alot of sexual tension in her scenes with Maya....the intimate hugs, the caressing and the near kiss last week.

BTW, what is up with those text messages? I really want to know what is up with "A." Is she really dead? I think that final scene with Spencer jogging and seeing Jenna send text messages with voice commands was way too obvious. Plus, she was already with them in the cafeteria when they received messages earlier in the episode.

I think Hannah's mother (Laura Leighton) got more than she bargained for when she agreed to sleep with that Detective to get he shoplifting charges dropped. Now, he's bringing them dinner and hanging out for breakfast. I think there is something up with him.

I also thought it was funny that Aria's application to switch classes from Mr. Fitz was declined and then they ended up hooking up again. He really can't be that much older than her in the show. I know she's 16, so I assume he's probably no more than 25 or 26?

Anyways, this is a fun little show.

The ratings for episode 2 were solid as well (2.5M viewers)

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/06/16...audience/54409

I think we will definitely see ABC Family order the back 10 episodes for this season sooner than later.

I know this show probably sounds like a cheesy "Chick" show, but I think they have an interesting serialized premise, 4 ridiculously hot young female leads and a decent adult supporting cast. It's not outstanding TV, but it's entertaining.

Where's LicktheABC's? He would be drooling all over this show.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-16-10 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-16-10, 08:03 PM

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

absolute Murderer's Row of good looking chicks.
Old 06-16-10, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DaveWadding
absolute Murderer's Row of good looking chicks.

If any of you have not seen this yet, both episodes are on Hulu.com. Out of the 4 girls, I think Lucy Hale and Troian Bellisario are probably the best actresses.

http://www.hulu.com/pretty-little-liars
Old 06-16-10, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 157 Likes on 119 Posts

It's like Gossip Girl meets Veronica Mars season 1

I sort of like it. Watched it for Lucy Hale but I'm finding the Blonde, the one that likes her sister's husband, the dead girl and the blind girl to be hotter. Damn it is a "murder's row" of hot chicks.
Old 06-16-10, 08:33 PM

Where's LicktheABC's? He would be drooling all over this show.
I'm here.

I'm liking this show quite a bit. There should be a rule that every episode needs an obligatory Lucy Hale coming in from the rain scene. Good gawd.

I wish ABC Family allowed scissor-fighting. It would make the show that much more interesting.
Old 06-16-10, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
I'm here.

I'm liking this show quite a bit. There should be a rule that every episode needs an obligatory Lucy Hale coming in from the rain scene. Good gawd.
Old 06-22-10, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Pretty Little Liars -- "To Kill a Mocking Girl" -- 06/22/10

Pretty Little Liars

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Det. Wilden looks for answers as he uses his connection to Hanna and Ashley to his advantage. Meanwhile, the girls honor Alison; Aria runs into her dad's ex-mistress; Spencer deals with Melissa's vengeance; and Emily sees a new side of Toby.

Episode 3 of 10

So far, a very nice guilty pleasure.
Old 06-23-10, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Pretty Little Liars -- "To Kill a Mocking Girl" -- 06/22/10

Fun 3rd episode

Funny seeing Amanda Schull from One Tree Hill as another possible psycho chick. It looks like they will set some sort of confrontation between her and Aria.

And to top it off we finally get Emily and Maya kissing

Hannah's Mom (Laura Leighton) is just dumb. It's so obvious that Cop isn't doing a damn thing to get the shoplifting charges dropped and he's pretty much just using her.

Who the hell keeps papers they wrote in High School on their computer? I know I don't. That was funny that Spencer's sister kept a paper she wrote 6 years ago conveniently also on Russian politics that Spencer was able to copy to her flash drive. Plus, the computer I had 6 years ago is now in the junk yard. Why the hell would you want to transfer those files to your new lap top?

The "A" text messages are getting intriguing. I'm liking this show so far.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-23-10 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-23-10, 08:27 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

The jailbait in this show rocks.
Old 06-23-10, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
The jailbait in this show rocks.
Totally. I like the scenes with Aria and the teacher although it's so wrong.

Lots of sexual tension with these characters. The Maya and Emily stuff is ridiculously hot.
Old 06-24-10, 01:33 AM

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Who the hell keeps papers they wrote in High School on their computer? I know I don't. That was funny that Spencer's sister kept a paper she wrote 6 years ago conveniently also on Russian politics that Spencer was able to copy to her flash drive. Plus, the computer I had 6 years ago is now in the junk yard. Why the hell would you want to transfer those files to your new lap top?
I do. In fact, the date given on Spencer's sister's paper places her as a year YOUNGER than me. Crap, I'm old. And I have the same PC as I did then. That said, my HS never offered AP Russian History. WTH is that?

I'm trying to involve my friends in watching it so I don't feel guilty for watching it for the eye candy...even if the plot is kind of engaging.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.