Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Alien 3--The Theatrical Cut--Anyone Prefer It Over the Assembly Cut?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: 1992 cut or 2003 cut?
The Theatrical Cut (1992)
26.47%
The Assembly Cut (2003)
73.53%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-11, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

I might be in the minority, but I prefer the original cut to "Alien 3" than the Assembly Cut from 2003. In fact I found the 30 minutes or so add nothing to the film that wasn't already there and sometimes detracts.
  • There's more dialogue for the characters that really don't say anything more than was said in the original edition.
  • The most glaring thing was the funeral sequence with the intercutting of Dillon's eulogy about "the innocent being punished" makes more sense with the scene with the live dog being killed by the chestburster rather than the dead ox.
  • They capture the alien than it gets loose in the middle of the film? What's the point of that?
  • I prefer Ripley's last words to be "No." than "You're crazy".

On the assumption that there are people here who like "Alien3" at all, which cut do you prefer?
Old 03-21-11, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Alien 3--The Theatrical Cut--Anyone Prefer It Over the Assembly Cut?

I enjoy both, but I do like the theatrical cut better, especially Ripley's demise scene. Then again, I never had a problem with the film the way some people do.
Old 03-21-11, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like that film a lot more than most. I can see where Fincher was going, though he was torpedoed by the suits in trying to get there and wrecked by studio meddling, I can see what he was going for, I love the cast, and I really enjoyed it.

If you watch the interviews with the actors around the internet or on the box sets, they all praised Fincher and what he was trying to do, and lamented what the studio did to the film.

I prefer the extended 2003 cut because it gives more time to the characters. I wish it had more of the opening sequence though, I bet that would have added a lot to the film in whole.
Old 03-21-11, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
I like that film a lot more than most. I can see where Fincher was going, though he was torpedoed by the suits in trying to get there and wrecked by studio meddling, I can see what he was going for, I love the cast, and I really enjoyed it.

If you watch the interviews with the actors around the internet or on the box sets, they all praised Fincher and what he was trying to do, and lamented what the studio did to the film.

I prefer the extended 2003 cut because it gives more time to the characters. I wish it had more of the opening sequence though, I bet that would have added a lot to the film in whole.
Can you give a brief description of "what Fincher was trying to do"? I had the Quadrilogy and now have the blu ray version (Anthology?) and at one time watched the docs on Alien 3, but can't remember much about it. There is SO MUCH information in that set that it boggles the mind. But anyway, I never really cared for Alien 3, so I didn't spend much time on it but I have heard that the studio messed with it big time. In a nutshell, what exactly was Fincher's vision and how did the studio screw it up?
Old 03-21-11, 09:46 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ALMOST want to explain it...but..I'm not exactly the best person for that...I do too much of this "..." I guess I'm like the Zack Snyder of "..." Not exactly the best guy to explain shit.
Old 03-22-11, 12:27 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ALIEN 3 is to series the same as GODFATHER 3, SUPERMAN 3 is to theirs.
Old 03-22-11, 12:41 AM

I think the movie is lousy in both its theatrical and extended formats.
Old 03-22-11, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I seriously don't get the Alien 3 hate.
Old 03-22-11, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

To me, the characters and story simply doesn't warrant the longer cut, and I still preferred the theatrical versions of the alternate scenes. I think it plays better as a leaner, slasher type picture.
Old 03-22-11, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

I love Alien 3. I enjoy it from beginning to end.
Old 03-22-11, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought it was just "okay". It felt different enough from the previous 2 films to warrant its existence in the franchise. The downbeat ending was a nice touch too.

I can see why a lot of people don't like it - it's a movie that took a ton of risks (killing all the main characters off, only one xenomorph, almost no action), but at the same time tried to play it "safe" (milking the Ripley/Newt relationship for no reason other than what appeared to be sadism, almost a total retread of the first movie, very cliche).
Old 03-22-11, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Both suck.
Old 03-22-11, 09:35 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido
Can you give a brief description of "what Fincher was trying to do"? I had the Quadrilogy and now have the blu ray version (Anthology?) and at one time watched the docs on Alien 3, but can't remember much about it. There is SO MUCH information in that set that it boggles the mind. But anyway, I never really cared for Alien 3, so I didn't spend much time on it but I have heard that the studio messed with it big time. In a nutshell, what exactly was Fincher's vision and how did the studio screw it up?
I won't explain, mainly cause it was a long and convoluted story, but since you saw the docs, and if you have the blu ray set, that documentary called Wreckage and Rage is really worth looking at again. This was the doc that was on the big Quadrilogy set, but was edited down due to some things said regarding the studio. The documentary on the BD set is the full one, and it's pretty enlightening, and if anything thorough. I was actually watching this yesterday.
Old 03-22-11, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I never really cared for Alien 3 initially, but I really do wish I could have seen what Fincher wanted to do, given that he has proven himself many times over as a filmmaker IMO. I doubt a bunch of added dialogue and stuff from the extended version present his vision as much as a vague resemblance.
Old 03-22-11, 10:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wm lopez
ALIEN 3 is to series the same as GODFATHER 3, SUPERMAN 3 is to theirs.
not exactly. Godfather 3 failed cuz of Coppola and his bad luck w/ some situations he had to fix.

Superman 3....I assume sucked cuz it was actually a bad movie?

Alien 3 was fucked over by Fox. Alien 3 had a chance to be a fine movie w/ no issues possibly...but that possibilaty is dead and gone. Who knows what exactly in that AC is how much of the entirety of Fincher's vision it was?

OFF TOPIC:

But...is Fox the top of the list w/ studio meddling? What movies have they fucked over?
Old 03-22-11, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think both are greatly flawed, but I prefer the Theatrical Cut because it flows better. The Assembly Cut has some interesting concepts and ideas, but it ultimately feels like a disjointed film that was cobbled together, which is exactly what it is. The TC feels more like a feature film, and it's also the version I saw in theaters back in 6th grade, so I'm more familiar with it.
Old 03-22-11, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Godfather 3 failed cuz of Coppola and his bad luck w/ some situations he had to fix.
Also because no Robert Duvall or Winona Ryder.
Old 03-22-11, 11:55 AM
Banned

that's part of his bad luck w/ some situations he had to fix part. Didn't Paramount convince him to do it?
Old 03-22-11, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Robert Duvall said in 60 minutes that money was the reason he didn’t appear in The Godfather III.
“If they paid Pacino twice what they paid me, that’s fine, but not three or four times, which is what they did.”.

Winona Ryder dropped out of the film at the last minute (supposedly due to illness, though other reports state that she was committed to Edward Scissorhands).
Old 03-22-11, 12:32 PM
Banned

I was talking about Coppola doing the film, I can't remember now. Yeah, I knew about WR and RD.
Old 03-22-11, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

^ What's interesting is that if those two had been involved, the movie would probably have been a more worthy Best Picture contender.
Old 03-22-11, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

I would have liked to see this movie.
http://www.clipland.com/Live/video/5611
Old 03-22-11, 01:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
^ What's interesting is that if those two had been involved, the movie would probably have been a more worthy Best Picture contender.
indeed.
Old 03-22-11, 02:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
not exactly. Godfather 3 failed cuz of Coppola and his bad luck w/ some situations he had to fix.

Superman 3....I assume sucked cuz it was actually a bad movie?

Alien 3 was fucked over by Fox. Alien 3 had a chance to be a fine movie w/ no issues possibly...but that possibilaty is dead and gone. Who knows what exactly in that AC is how much of the entirety of Fincher's vision it was?

OFF TOPIC:

But...is Fox the top of the list w/ studio meddling? What movies have they fucked over?
The only good parts in Superman 3 were when Superman got infected by the defective Kryptonite and went evil, eventually splitting in two.
Old 03-22-11, 04:04 PM
Banned

I still remember Superman 3 being the first movie I thought was bad as a little kid. I've seen worse unfortunately....but...nothing could hide my displeasurement as a little kid bored out of his mind watching that. WTF CYBORG NURSE?! WHAT?!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.