Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Upstairs, Downstairs: The Complete Series - 40th Anniversary Collection'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'Upstairs, Downstairs: The Complete Series - 40th Anniversary Collection'

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-11, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Paul Mavis's DVD review of Upstairs, Downstairs: The Complete Series - 40th Anniversary Collection at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=48596 and
unless I missed it, there's no mention in the review of the introductory and closing Alistaire Cooke for many episodes as broadcast in the U.S. In fact Mr. Cooke probably played a substantial role in the U.S. popularity of the series. Are those commentaries on this release?
Old 03-19-11, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: DVD Talk review of 'Upstairs, Downstairs: The Complete Series - 40th Anniversary

No, these are the uncut, original U.K. episodes, as shown on LWT -- Cooke's bumpers were part of Masterpiece Theatre's replaying of the series on PBS. I wouldn't have expected them included here (as much because they really don't belong...since they weren't part of the original U.K. show, but also because of clearance rights, probably).

No disagreement, though, about people loving Cooke's hosting of M.P. -- Russell Baker couldn't touch him, later.
Old 03-24-11, 07:33 AM

Re: DVD Talk review of 'Upstairs, Downstairs: The Complete Series - 40th Anniversary

What would have been a priceless extra (but presumably lost) was an appearance on a brief summer show hosted by Dick Cavett in 1976. A group of Upstairs performers (Jean Marsh, David Langton, Simon Williams, Gordon Jackson >and< Rachel Gurney) all appeared to spoof themselves in various skits, including Marsh and Gurney as western saloon girls! I'm not hallucinating, I actually saw this. Another was Langton and Williams squaring off as very polite though argumentative early era ball players, with Jackson as umpire. Langton also read the "Declaration of Dependence," related to some satirical nod to the country's bicentennial celebration that year. Oh for a VCR back then!
Old 03-26-11, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by westegg
What would have been a priceless extra (but presumably lost) was an appearance on a brief summer show hosted by Dick Cavett in 1976.
I remember this quite well. Cavett was so smitten with Rachel Gurney that he did everything but invite her to sit in his lap.
Old 03-27-11, 12:14 PM

So glad to have another witness! I'm sure some people would've thought I dreamed it all.
Old 07-20-11, 12:53 PM

I doubt that anyone cares, but this has bothered me for decades, so I'm going to put in my tuppence. There is NO comma in "Upstairs Downstairs"!