DVD Talk
New eBay seller policies - Auction listings now free & Final Fee includes shipping [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : New eBay seller policies - Auction listings now free & Final Fee includes shipping

ben12
03-16-11, 09:28 PM
Got an email from eBay. The first announcement sounds great, even though I mostly do fixed value sales:

Starting April 19, you'll be able to list your items Auction-style FREE, at any start price, up to 50 listings a month. Plus you can add the Buy It Now option to these listings FREE to grab buyers in a hurry. Set the price you want and sell it fast! This is not a limited-time special but a change in eBay Standard fees to help you list more for FREE all the time?even those high ticket items! Pay only if your item sells.

Then they threw in the second announcement hoping we wouldn't notice how stupid and shitty it was.

Also, because we know buyers take into consideration the total cost of an item, also starting April 19, to encourage sellers to keep shipping costs low, the Final Value Fee will be applied to the total amount of the sale?including shipping.

I guess I won't offer the more expensive Priority or Express Shipping on items anymore since I'll get charged a higher fee! You also get penalized for selling heavier items. This is totally insane. I understand they're trying to stop the people that charge $20 shipping for a DVD, so their $1 price looks attractive, but this isn't the way to do it.

TheBang
03-16-11, 11:36 PM
Wow, those greedy fuckers

BuckNaked2k
03-16-11, 11:49 PM
Wow. This isn't too bad for DVD sellers, but if you're selling statues or something.....man.

Heat
03-17-11, 12:53 AM
It's pretty much a wash.

On a $6 shipping fee you'll pay 54 cents in fees (final value fee of 9%) but you save 25 cents if the original listing price is under $10 or 50 cents if if the final value fee is $10 to $25.

What they are trying to stop are the sellers who really jack up their shipping price.

ben12
03-17-11, 08:07 AM
It's pretty much a wash.

On a $6 shipping fee you'll pay 54 cents in fees (final value fee of 9%) but you save 25 cents if the original listing price is under $10 or 50 cents if if the final value fee is $10 to $25.

What they are trying to stop are the sellers who really jack up their shipping price.That doesn't help those who post Fixed Price items.

RonG617
03-17-11, 06:15 PM
If you sell one dvd and they only let you charge $3 shipping, losing 27 cents on that 3 dollars will make it close to being a lose on the shipping cost. Some heavier dvds(multiple disc sets) run me very close to 3 dollars media mail.

adrenaline78
03-17-11, 07:05 PM
If you sell one dvd and they only let you charge $3 shipping, losing 27 cents on that 3 dollars will make it close to being a lose on the shipping cost. Some heavier dvds(multiple disc sets) run me very close to 3 dollars media mail.

Yeah no kidding. And that doesn't take into effect the cost of the actual packaging. Glad I rarely use ebay anymore.

Gizmo
03-20-11, 12:45 PM
That's just awesome.

Is eBay really trying to shut down?

I guess this helps against people who charge 1 penny and $5.99 to ship a simple power cable.

That'sAllFolks
03-20-11, 01:55 PM

and don't forget, if you sell via a fixed price, then that's another 45 cents instead of 27. For sellers trying to make a living, that's alot of extra cash to eBay for EVERY transaction.

They are trying to be like Amazon (who charges a % of postage that the user designates), but Amazon DOES not charge a % of postage for media items. They do charge a .80/transaction fee. The .80 per transaction fee on Amazon is about the same as the paypal fee (depending on the amt of the transaction). When I first heard about this I began to be angry, but then remembered, I don't sell on eBay much anymore. I was surprised they found a way to raise fees since they are now MORE EXPENSIVE than Amazon, but their annual fuck-the-sellers fee hike is in full force.

Troy Stiffler
03-20-11, 08:49 PM
Yikes. I don't sell much on eBay anymore. I started my business on there, though.

I'd be suprised they they report another increase this year. People (including myself ... used to have 6600 listings ... 12000 feedback ... etc) really are going to give up on them. They've become very authoritarian and cocky about how they conduct business. Until a few months ago, I loved their format. But I just had to give it up and move into a better platform (specialized trade sites, my own website, etc.). They really did just turn into greedy dicks. They kept pulling and squeezing and it's just not worth it anymore. My eBay fees spiraled out of control, to where they were getting a bigger cut than I get ... heck, they've become our biggest monthly bill. They just can't keep squeezing people. They hit my nerve after 8 years. I just don't see it continuing on like this.

RonG617
03-21-11, 04:35 PM
Do they really have enough big power sellers to keep them going after they squeeze out every little guy? Wasn't this site supposed to be like a big flea market where you could find almost anything? To me it seems like a Walmart, I might find a deal, but I know I can find most of the stuff anywhere.

takingchase
03-21-11, 06:54 PM
This is complete bullshit. Between paypal and ebay there's almost nothing left after a sale. If they wanted to combat people making their profits in shipping than they should have applied this rule to when you set your own shipping but if you use their calculated shipping feature I don't see how they have a right to take a percentage of our shipping costs.

Jeremy517
03-21-11, 07:03 PM
This doesn't really surprise me. They've been taking 60 cents out of the shipping and handling on Half.com (in addition to their 15% commission) for years, even though they don't ship or handle anything.

I keep waiting for Google to start an auction site, but that doesn't seem likely.

takingchase
03-23-11, 10:26 AM
This doesn't really surprise me. They've been taking 60 cents out of the shipping and handling on Half.com (in addition to their 15% commission) for years, even though they don't ship or handle anything.

I keep waiting for Google to start an auction site, but that doesn't seem likely.

This would be amazing. If anyone has a shot at toppling Ebay it would be Google.

Living Dead
03-31-11, 03:06 AM
I would settle for pretty much anybody starting a decent auction site to compete with ebay. I've been selling on there for the past week for the first time in years and I'm stunned at how much of my money they're getting.

Vendetta-AKK
04-05-11, 10:09 PM
I think Amazon charges even more than Ebay. But, lately I prefer to sell my Blu-rays & Videogames there because alot of Ebay buyers think it is a layaway service. At least selling on Amazon I get the money when the transaction happens, and don't have to continuously follow up with people who do not pay in a timely manner.

Josh-da-man
04-06-11, 12:26 AM
I think Amazon charges even more than Ebay. But, lately I prefer to sell my Blu-rays & Videogames there because alot of Ebay buyers think it is a layaway service. At least selling on Amazon I get the money when the transaction happens, and don't have to continuously follow up with people who do not pay in a timely manner.

I have to wonder why eBay doesn't do this as well. Most items now have fixed shipping costs, and you have to pay with PayPal, so they should just make payment automatic once the auction has closed.

Vendetta-AKK
04-06-11, 09:18 AM
I have to wonder why eBay doesn't do this as well. Most items now have fixed shipping costs, and you have to pay with PayPal, so they should just make payment automatic once the auction has closed.

Or at least give the Seller the option of requiring it, like they do with Buy it Now with the Power Sellers. I have two things that sold early last week and neither one of them is paid for yet, and the buyers have never contacted me. Fun! I think it will be a long time before I bother with Ebay after this.

RonG617
04-06-11, 06:17 PM
Or at least give the Seller the option of requiring it, like they do with Buy it Now with the Power Sellers. I have two things that sold early last week and neither one of them is paid for yet, and the buyers have never contacted me. Fun! I think it will be a long time before I bother with Ebay after this.

What stinks about waiting for payment is that you usually have other bidders, so you wait for the week, then file a claim, then wait another week and finally get to close the sale and get your fees back. By then no one wants your second chance offers. Every time I send out a second chance offer before I do all the waiting, the first person pays as well as a second chancer. Making you wait and have to harass people is a major drawback to selling on Ebay.

Dr. Calamari
04-06-11, 11:45 PM
The only thing I use eBay for anymore is to figure out how to price things I'm selling on Amazon or elsewhere. Once in a great while I buy things from eBay sellers, but the process is so cumbersome and there are so many other sources for the same stuff that it's really not competitive any more. Still fun to look at weirdo stuff there, though.

DVDEXPO
04-08-11, 05:05 PM
This is definitely going to get rid of sellers selling a $30 item for $1.00 and charging $29.99 for s/h. Unfortunately, even though those people are in the minority, it will hurt the majority. Luckily, I offer free shipping on 99% of my listings there, so I won't be affected.

BKenn01
04-10-11, 06:48 PM
The big problem is they have also brought in the big sellers and dvd prices suck from a seller standpoint.

kayak99
04-12-11, 11:06 AM
I understand they're trying to stop the people that charge $20 shipping for a DVD, so their $1 price looks attractive...

This is exactly why they did it and the best way to curb those trying to beat the system. Why not condemn those who caused it rather than fleabay?

RonG617
04-12-11, 05:23 PM
This is exactly why they did it and the best way to curb those trying to beat the system. Why not condemn those who caused it rather than fleabay?

You can't charge $20 shipping for a dvd, the most you can charge is $3. They changed the rules a while ago to stop people from overcharging shipping on media items. I guess that wasn't enough for them.

That'sAllFolks
04-15-11, 06:43 PM
I think Amazon charges even more than Ebay. .

It used to be cheaper on eBay, but that's changed. Overall, it's actually cheaper to sell on Amazon (for someone with a store). The paypal fees could be likened to the .80 Amazon charges for media items. At around $12 selling price these are the same, < eBay is a little cheaper, > Amazon becomes cheaper. For products less than $50. > $50 it becomes murky because eBay has graduated rates whereas Amazon charges a flat %15.

But then you have to take into account the store fees. eBay is $50 + .05/item per month. Amazon is a flat 39.99. If you list 1000 items, eBay monthly fees would be $100 as opposed to Amazon's $40. That does not even include FVF for what you sell.

It gets complicated because EVERY YEAR eBay raises one fee, decreases another with the net result of ALWAYS SCREWING THE SELLER. I don't know of anytime Amazon has changed their fee structure, but it is frustrating selling on eBay, not knowing what the hell they are going to do to screw you. They don't give a shit about their sellers and make it hard as hell to deal with them if you have a problem.

The only advantage with eBay is that you seem to get better prices for CDs (what I primarily sold) because each listing is independent, whereas on Amazon you must be around the lowest price to sell. CD prices on Amazon are lower than eBay and there is not as much foreign traffic. They have become so greedy that it is frustrating in dealing with them. I sell occasionally on eBay (with free listing day), but I'll be damned if I'll start a store with them.

boredsilly
04-16-11, 09:10 AM
Amazon may cost more, I'm not sure, but I don't care because it really is painless to sell things on that site if you aren't a volume seller. Ebay's infrastructure is a pain in the ass.

Troy Stiffler
04-17-11, 03:06 PM
I was a volume seller. And the infrastructure was still a pain in the ass.

I would not recommend that anyone use eBay. Take your DVD's or whatever to a local record store for some credit.

If you're not in a hurry to sell, I'd also recommend Amazon. Your inventory just sits there, at $0 cost, until it sells. If it sells, it sells. They take their cut straight from the sale. There's nothing to "manage".

Mark my words, eBay will be like MySpace in a few years.

bse
04-20-11, 09:10 PM
Well ebay just lost my business for good. Between Discogs, Amazon and Ebay I have 100% on all of them with over 600 transactions. Yesterday I see this idiot buyer left me negative feedback (my first ever) because he said "this is not icp" - I have no idea what that means, I listed the Artist, Album title, and tracklist along with Cover art, apparently the guy thought it was an Insane Clown Posse CD. He received it 3 days after he won it. I e-mailed ebay and told them and they replied "You should be satisfied your feedback rating is still 98%, we can not change the feedback"

And to leave negative comments on the buyers page I had to leave positive feedback... all over a $5 CD, the buyer didn't even bother contacting me, fuck ebay and fuck stupid juvenile buyers.

I've been buying a ton of my stuff from ebay as of late and use paypal as the main checkout option for my business - but this buyer who has a feedback record of 12 rules all.

No thanks.

Lastdaysofrain
04-21-11, 08:07 AM
What was it that he thought was ICP?

bse
04-21-11, 04:54 PM
What was it that he thought was ICP?

Hex - Gates of Hell (a CD i found in a box, know nothing about it - but I know its not ICP)

Josh-da-man
04-21-11, 10:16 PM
Hex - Gates of Hell (a CD i found in a box, know nothing about it - but I know its not ICP)

Then you probably shouldn't have put "ICP" in the auction title:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hex-Gates-Hell-CD-ICP-Esham-Twiztid-Horrorcore-Rap-/150578307823 [shows up on a google search]

Unless they've changed their policy, eBay frowns on "keyword spamming."

TheBang
04-23-11, 12:22 AM
Then you probably shouldn't have put "ICP" in the auction title:
Agreed. Keyword spamming is not just frowned upon, it's specifically disallowed.

Troy Stiffler
04-24-11, 07:53 AM
Agreed. Keyword spamming is not just frowned upon, it's specifically disallowed.

That's another retarded thing about eBay. They NEVER followed up to any of my reports. And they would never bother to fix/cancel the reported listings. Sellers (not me) would keyword spam. And if I saw it, I would report them (honestly, just to get competitors' listings ended, or just to get the search results right).

Ebay is too large to care. They've turned into a bunch of soggy desk jockeys.

I recommend that nobody buys nor sells on eBay anymore.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
04-24-11, 03:52 PM
I recommend that nobody buys nor sells on eBay anymore.

Just need to come up with another popular auction type site. Amazon is fine for some things but there's different markets that can really only be done at an auction site.

30smovies
04-24-11, 04:22 PM
You can't charge $20 shipping for a dvd, the most you can charge is $3. They changed the rules a while ago to stop people from overcharging shipping on media items. I guess that wasn't enough for them.

EXACTLY. Ebay has had the "postage maximum" on the DVD & Movies category for some time as well as for Books ($4.00 - doesn't matter if it's a pamplet or a humongous coffeetable book that would take up half a bookshelf.) And paypal has long taken their cut from the final value/postage total. There's usually very little profit for the seller if any after the fees unless somehow you have a item which has a final bid that went through the roof due to a bidding war which is highly unlikely to happen in the dvd or book categories and not even very likely in many other categories given the current economy. I used to sell at least half of the stuff I listed on ebay, now 20-25 percent of them seems to be about the norm.

Let's not forget those listing fees for NON SOLD items on ebay if you do list more than 50 items per month.

adrenaline78
04-24-11, 09:46 PM
Those penny a bid auction sites seem to be popping up everywhere. Setting one of those up would be pretty cool for selling dvd's. Cost's just a 1$ to bid, and if you get 5-10 bids and the item actually sells for $.05-$.10 you would actually be making more $ than trying to sell them on ebay or amazon.

The problem would be just getting traffic to the site.

Troy Stiffler
04-24-11, 11:16 PM
Just need to come up with another popular auction type site. Amazon is fine for some things but there's different markets that can really only be done at an auction site.

I research 10-50 items a day, when adding them to my inventory. My "search" consists of Googling the part # and a few other methods. A site named "iOffer.Com" has been showing up A LOT. Apparently a lot of people are going there. I'd buy long-term stock immediately if they went public. And I'll have my inventory on there within a couple weeks.

iOffer's business model is what eBay's used to be. The admin is more or less 'hands off' with the transactions, and they keep their fees low (if there are any fees right now). eBay gets in trouble because they now mediate everything. And their desk jockeys really don't understand how used/surplus/overstock business (nor business in general) works. They don't understand their own rules. A lot of decisions they make are on a whim, with zero regards to the seller (who pays them all of that money).

The anonymity vs business crippling severity of the feedback system is just fustrating.

eBay tried to fix something that wasn't broken. They bought PayPal. They keep buying into other companies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_acquisitions_by_eBay) They just bought GSI Commerce (a fufillment company). It appears that they're going to add the ability for companies like Toys R Us to sell on eBay, which is really to rival Amazon with more "retail type" sales. But they don't seem to have the management nor expertise to take care of any of this stuff.

Then, they obnoxiously up their fees this spring ... again. One must ask, "who do they think they are"?

Gizmo
04-25-11, 12:35 AM
iOffer would be great, but they offer bootleg DVDs. Just look at The Wonder Years.

Not sure I'd want to buy or sell anything on a site that has bee knowingly selling bootlegs for years.

Troy Stiffler
04-25-11, 05:30 PM
iOffer would be great, but they offer bootleg DVDs. Just look at The Wonder Years.

Not sure I'd want to buy or sell anything on a site that has bee knowingly selling bootlegs for years.

Is that a joke? There's a gagillion bootleg DVD's on eBay. I actually don't quite understand why it's allowed.

RonG617
04-25-11, 07:19 PM
I've purchased off Ioffer a bunch of times over the years when I needed some mods on equipment and dvd boots. The problem with the site is that it is really a mixed bag of quality of product and sellers.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
04-26-11, 01:03 PM
Then, they obnoxiously up their fees this spring ... again. One must ask, "who do they think they are"?

The United States Postal Service

Troy Stiffler
04-26-11, 04:42 PM
The United States Postal Service

Hehe. But the USPS still doesn't get much of my money. It's kind of like my "salt budget". They could triple the cost of table salt, and I won't mind.

When I was selling on there, eBay was making more money than me (there's three of us here). eBay was my single largest bill every month. And that doesn't even take into account all of my "PayPal" fees. eBay's fees were out of control and obnoxious before they decided to raise them again.

RonG617
04-26-11, 05:56 PM
Media Mail is still the cheapest thing by far to ship via any carrier. As long as the post office offers that, then they are okay with me.

Gizmo
05-01-11, 10:13 PM
Is that a joke? There's a gagillion bootleg DVD's on eBay. I actually don't quite understand why it's allowed.

No, iOffer fully offers bootlegs of Movies and such multiple times. eBay pulls auctions that knowingly offers Bootlegs. Of course, eBay can't tell if someone is selling a bootleg copy of Aladdin on DVD without pictures, but The Wonder Years Complete Series? That's a bootleg.

LosingMyMind
05-01-11, 11:04 PM
but The Wonder Years Complete Series? That's a bootleg.
It's a legit Region Free NTSC Russian release.

gmanca
05-02-11, 01:31 AM
No, iOffer fully offers bootlegs of Movies and such multiple times. eBay pulls auctions that knowingly offers Bootlegs. Of course, eBay can't tell if someone is selling a bootleg copy of Aladdin on DVD without pictures, but The Wonder Years Complete Series? That's a bootleg.

Eh, there were fake Howard the Duck DVD's on eBay for years.

Gizmo
05-03-11, 11:43 PM
It's a legit Region Free NTSC Russian release.

http://www.ioffer.com/search/items/wonder%20years

And that's why all the box art looks different? And the disc count...and the "quality scale"?

glassdragon
05-07-11, 12:39 PM
So ebay says that people below their minimum selling standards will have their paypal payments pending until the item arrives with the buyer.. They told me that I am below their minimum standards. I currently have 48 positives, 0 negatives, and a 5 star rating. Fuck them then, no more selling through them if they think that my track record is worthy of treating me like a scammer.

Troy Stiffler
05-12-11, 11:03 PM
Yep'. They pushed. But now they overstepped. People aren't going to like using them anymore. If they stay afloat, it'll be because of their other companies and investments (PayPal, Skype, distribution companies, etc.).

kevin75
05-13-11, 10:08 AM
So ebay says that people below their minimum selling standards will have their paypal payments pending until the item arrives with the buyer.

Where can I find those minimum selling standards?

glassdragon
05-13-11, 01:42 PM
Where can I find those minimum selling standards?

They wouldn't tell me, just that I am. You would think that as of now 50 Positives and 0 negatives would be within in the standards.

Edit, i guess you can check this in your dash, here's the email

Dear XXXXXXXXX:

Several weeks ago, we wrote to tell you about coming updates that may affect your selling. This is a reminder to take action now to make sure you're ready.

Update to the way sellers below eBay's minimum performance standards are paid through PayPal

Starting May 31, sellers who fall below eBay's minimum performance standards may have their buyer payments show as pending in their PayPal account for a period of time to help ensure successful fulfillment.

Your account was below the minimum standard as of this writing. If you're subject to this update, you'll be notified when you list and you'll receive an email notification from PayPal when your funds are pending. You'll also find information in My eBay showing the estimated date funds will be available and steps you can take to help get your funds faster.

What you need to do:

Stay on top of your status in your Seller Dashboard.
Follow best practices to get above standard.
Always upload tracking information to eBay and ship the same day the buyer pays to have your funds available faster. Note if you print shipping labels on eBay or PayPal, tracking information is uploaded automatically and funds will be available for shipping.
Category and item specifics changes

Note that the final group of category and item specifics changes is going live this week. Find out if your categories are affected.

Get details on the 2011 Spring Seller Update. Use the Seller Checklist to stay on top of important dates. For more insight, visit the archived webinar held several weeks ago on these updates.

As always, we appreciate your selling on eBay.

Your eBay seller team

Here is what mine looks like

eller performance numbers
Updated daily
Transactions: 33
See your reports
Average detailed seller ratings Your average Low ratings
(1s and 2s)
Item as described 5.00 0.00% (0)
Communication 5.00 0.00% (0)
Shipping time 5.00 0.00% (0)
Shipping and handling charges 4.96 0.00% (0)

Buyer Protection cases Your percentage (count)
Opened cases 0.00% (0)
Closed cases without seller resolution 0.00% (0)

Josh-da-man
05-13-11, 10:05 PM
sellers who fall below eBay's minimum performance standards = anyone who isn't a "Power Seller."

Living Deadpan
05-18-11, 10:11 AM
Re: Ebay alternatives, anyone tried Bonanza.com (www.bonanza.com)? They've been popping up in my Froogle searches more lately. I haven't looked into their selling details, but sometime last year I bought a Fangoria back issue from a seller there & it was a good transaction.

JCWBobC
05-18-11, 03:19 PM
I have around 140 items for sale on Bonanza (I have a few older Fangoria magazines up on there so maybe I sold you the magazine) and have sold a few items but it does not have the same traffic as Ebay. Yesterday I was updating some items for sale and it said their were less than 1 million members so they have a long way to go. It is a lot less stressful than Ebay plus you can import your Ebay items & Ebay feedback very easily.

William Fuld
05-18-11, 03:55 PM
glassdragon,

Have you spoken to someone on the phone about the issue? Something isn't right on eBay's end, obviously.

GreenMonkey
05-18-11, 09:58 PM
I gave up selling DVDs, movies and games on ebay long, long ago - maybe 2-2.5 years ago.

It turned into annoyance. Paypal chargebacks. One fee here, one fee there, one fee depending on the selling price. You never know what you are going to be charged ahead of time without busting out notepad, a few different ebay pages, and guessing what your item will end at.

At least with Amazon, the fees are upfront and straightforward. It's clear what their fee is based on your selling price, and what you get. There's much less hassle (items take less that a minute to post, instead of ebay's pictures, descriptions, 80 different selections, pick shipping type, etc, etc).

And I've had way less hassle from Amazon sellers. There is some worry - Amazon, for example, doesn't apparently take delivery confirmation as proof of shipment - but I just stopped doing delivery confirmation at all.
If it's a big item, I toss insurance and confirmation on it, for my own protection. Other than that, anything under $40 or so, it just goes out media mail, no insurance, no confirmation. If someone decides to screw me, I'll have to bite it.

According to my stats, I've sold 448 things on Amazon since early 2008 (I, and the wife especially, used to have a LOT of DVDs and videogames). I've got a rating of 99 positives, 2 negatives (Amazon feedback is a lot spottier).
I've only had to bite one or two items and they may have legitimately gone missing. The honesty seems to be better on Amazon.

Living Deadpan
05-19-11, 12:09 AM
I have around 140 items for sale on Bonanza (I have a few older Fangoria magazines up on there so maybe I sold you the magazine) and have sold a few items but it does not have the same traffic as Ebay. Yesterday I was updating some items for sale and it said their were less than 1 million members so they have a long way to go. It is a lot less stressful than Ebay plus you can import your Ebay items & Ebay feedback very easily.

Okay, I just searched my email archives, and it's actually Ecrater.com I bought my Fangoria from, haha. *Sigh* I must've actually visited Bonanza more, though, since Ecrater totally slipped my memory.

Well, any thoughts on Ecrater now that I've brought it up?

JCWBobC
05-19-11, 11:52 AM
Another good thing about Amazon is they handle the payments so they get their commission and that's it.

When I sell an item on Ebay they get their FVF on the sale price, their fee on the shipping cost (i've gone to free shipping to avoid that), and then Paypal takes a percentage.

Also if you buy your shipping label through Amazon you get a discount so i've been able to ship items Priority mail that would normally go Parcel Post, due to the shipping cost, if I took the package to the post office.

Jacoby Ellsbury
06-22-11, 03:34 PM
Ebay is no longer doing cash back until November. I checked a bunch of cashback sites and ebay is no longer listed. One said it stopped as of 6/16 another said it won't be back until November.

Tarantino
07-22-11, 10:31 AM
They are changing their policies again to include seller protection. Not that it matters, since most of us have ditched eBay.

FeeBayFleaBay33
09-13-11, 12:38 AM
I'm so FUCKING! sick of ebay I'm seriously gonna explode, I just wish I was actually insane enough(And had no regard for life, like Feebay does with fees lol) and walk in their headquarters with an AK-47 and go off. Taking a piece of MY shipping now are you? and a piece of MY handling fee? go FUCK YOURSELF!

I pay the gas, I package it, I list it, I pay for the bubble mailers, I answer the emails, the phone calls, I get up to go out and ship the fucking item, oh yea and I PAY FOR THE FUCKING SHIPPING ****s! now what in the holy cock sucking hell is it you chair riding fucks do?, charge me LMAO!

You know they're gonna start charging a $.50 fee for logging in right? lmao, a $.50 cent fee for a 100KB photo hmm really? way to sock it to the average masses that don't know about HTML or image hosting(The average casual ebay seller) A 10 cent fee for wanting to start my auction at a specified time?, hmm I bet that cost them a pretty penny to put the HUMONGOUS 500 Terabyte auction on hold in their system for a WHOLE FUCKING 24 hours, and don't get me started on the "Final FUCK Fees" and the monopoly they have with gaypal as they double dip on OUR money.

I sell PSA/BGS sports cards that are in thick hard plastics, I charge $2.00 for S/H up to 5 cards(VERY VERRRRY generous of "Me",and now they want some of my piddly fucking pennies for their billion dollar business, nickel and dime mother fucking scum bags. Fee here fee there fee where? I don't know but I'm sure they'll find a place for another **** fucking fee to dig in like a fucking wood tick in your urethra.

These yeast infected bastards could cut their fees ALL AROUND the board 50% and still make out like a 500 pounder at an all you can eat. Then people would actually love them instead of despise and want to literally murder these leaches.

I have one good thing to say about ebay, but it's not even ebay, it's me my doings for being a stellar seller, I have 1,000+ 100% positive feedback on ebay and 99.9 of it's from selling, when they changed their feedback policy I almost went APE SHIT thinking wow there goes my feedback now. It actually made no sense, protect the buyer with 10 feedback buying a green $2.00 cock ring and leave the 2,000+ positive feedback seller that made you MAJOR money hanging out to dry because the gimp buyer has no fear of a negative in return pffftt!. But I'm just that good at avoiding negatives, I guess it's a miracle, but I better not jinx myself just yet. You can take my Powerseller status and go POWER FUCK yourself.

Ok I ranted and raved, I feel better, yea a lot of cussing sorry( Psyche I could give a fuck lol) ..... Ohh yea fuck off ebay, your lucky your my only option for now because I'm established there, I'll cough you **** hairs out of my throat one day and be done with you for good.

TheBang
09-14-11, 07:09 AM
At least you found the correct thread?

Can't say I disagree with the general sentiment though.

ben12
09-15-11, 11:55 AM
When I sell an item on Ebay they get their FVF on the sale price, their fee on the shipping cost (i've gone to free shipping to avoid that), and then Paypal takes a percentage. I just wanted to point out that offering free shipping doesn't avoid getting charged a fee on shipping unless you actually don't have to pay any money to ship an item. Either you pay the fee as part of the item's price or as part of the actual specified shipping fee. It's not a different rate for the item's price or shipping as far as I know, so there's really no advantage (other than looking good compared to other auctions that charge shipping).

JCWBobC
09-15-11, 12:13 PM
The only advantage to offering free shipping, which I have stopped doing because it has no impact on my sales, is that you automatically get 5 stars on your DSR rating.

Living Deadpan
09-16-11, 12:27 AM
The only advantage to offering free shipping, which I have stopped doing because it has no impact on my sales, is that you automatically get 5 stars on your DSR rating.

I'll just have to live with my 4.9 average.

al_bundy
09-20-11, 10:56 AM
I'm so FUCKING! sick of ebay I'm seriously gonna explode, I just wish I was actually insane enough(And had no regard for life, like Feebay does with fees lol) and walk in their headquarters with an AK-47 and go off. Taking a piece of MY shipping now are you? and a piece of MY handling fee? go FUCK YOURSELF!

I pay the gas, I package it, I list it, I pay for the bubble mailers, I answer the emails, the phone calls, I get up to go out and ship the fucking item, oh yea and I PAY FOR THE FUCKING SHIPPING ****s! now what in the holy cock sucking hell is it you chair riding fucks do?, charge me LMAO!

You know they're gonna start charging a $.50 fee for logging in right? lmao, a $.50 cent fee for a 100KB photo hmm really? way to sock it to the average masses that don't know about HTML or image hosting(The average casual ebay seller) A 10 cent fee for wanting to start my auction at a specified time?, hmm I bet that cost them a pretty penny to put the HUMONGOUS 500 Terabyte auction on hold in their system for a WHOLE FUCKING 24 hours, and don't get me started on the "Final FUCK Fees" and the monopoly they have with gaypal as they double dip on OUR money.

I sell PSA/BGS sports cards that are in thick hard plastics, I charge $2.00 for S/H up to 5 cards(VERY VERRRRY generous of "Me",and now they want some of my piddly fucking pennies for their billion dollar business, nickel and dime mother fucking scum bags. Fee here fee there fee where? I don't know but I'm sure they'll find a place for another **** fucking fee to dig in like a fucking wood tick in your urethra.

These yeast infected bastards could cut their fees ALL AROUND the board 50% and still make out like a 500 pounder at an all you can eat. Then people would actually love them instead of despise and want to literally murder these leaches.

I have one good thing to say about ebay, but it's not even ebay, it's me my doings for being a stellar seller, I have 1,000+ 100% positive feedback on ebay and 99.9 of it's from selling, when they changed their feedback policy I almost went APE SHIT thinking wow there goes my feedback now. It actually made no sense, protect the buyer with 10 feedback buying a green $2.00 cock ring and leave the 2,000+ positive feedback seller that made you MAJOR money hanging out to dry because the gimp buyer has no fear of a negative in return pffftt!. But I'm just that good at avoiding negatives, I guess it's a miracle, but I better not jinx myself just yet. You can take my Powerseller status and go POWER FUCK yourself.

Ok I ranted and raved, I feel better, yea a lot of cussing sorry( Psyche I could give a fuck lol) ..... Ohh yea fuck off ebay, your lucky your my only option for now because I'm established there, I'll cough you **** hairs out of my throat one day and be done with you for good.

^

kd5
09-22-11, 08:39 AM
I've only ever sold one item on Ebay (getting ready to try selling 4 more), but I've been watching from the sidelines what people were doing before Ebay started charging their fee to include shipping, and I gotta say: If the ignorant fucks selling on Ebay wouldn't have tried to beat the system by charging 99 for their item, but $20 to ship it, maybe Ebay wouldn't have changed the rules. Whoever actually did that has only themselves to blame for the way things are now. Everybody's always trying to beat the system, well, you fucked everyone else in the process. Thanks. -kd5-

DVD Polizei
09-22-11, 09:59 AM
Can't Google get on eBay's ass and compete? Been waiting for years. Instead, Google plays around with social networking crap.

RonG617
09-22-11, 07:13 PM
I've only ever sold one item on Ebay (getting ready to try selling 4 more), but I've been watching from the sidelines what people were doing before Ebay started charging their fee to include shipping, and I gotta say: If the ignorant fucks selling on Ebay wouldn't have tried to beat the system by charging 99 for their item, but $20 to ship it, maybe Ebay wouldn't have changed the rules. Whoever actually did that has only themselves to blame for the way things are now. Everybody's always trying to beat the system, well, you fucked everyone else in the process. Thanks. -kd5-

All Ebay had to do was the have a maximum amount you can charge for shipping like they do for books and other media. They still have the maximum charge amount of $4 shipping for a book, but I sent out a hardcover the other day that cost me $3.83 media mail, so after Ebay took the 38 cent cut from the shipping I lost money on shipping.

That'sAllFolks
09-22-11, 07:29 PM
All Ebay had to do was the have a maximum amount you can charge for shipping like they do for books and other media. They still have the maximum charge amount of $4 shipping for a book, but I sent out a hardcover the other day that cost me $3.83 media mail, so after Ebay took the 38 cent cut from the shipping I lost money on shipping.

That's the problem with the media fees. They shouldn't limit the postage amount and then turn around and want a piece of it (claiming they are trying to even the playing field --- another lie from eBay's propaganda machine). I changed the way I ship to media mail on all my items, regardless of how I will send it. I then change the "handling" fee to pay for ebay's new policies. I used to sell CDs on eBay and even had a store. But EVERY year they found some way to lower this fee and raise that one, so that overall they took more money. I still use their "50 free listings" every month, but would never commit to them for my whole inventory. Anyone who does will be trapped in an ever spiraling abyss of raised fees and a "screw-you" attitude from eBay. I wish there was a viable alternative other than Amazon, but for now there is not.

Al_Tahoe
09-24-11, 09:06 AM

Ok I ranted and raved, I feel better, yea a lot of cussing sorry( Psyche I could give a fuck lol) ..... Ohh yea fuck off ebay, your lucky your my only option for now because I'm established there, I'll cough you **** hairs out of my throat one day and be done with you for good.You can buy a green cock ring for only $2.00 ?!?

JCWBobC
10-12-11, 06:46 PM
Something new that just started, that's probably going to piss people off, is after an auction or Buy it Now ends you can only see a thumbnail of the picture. You can't click on the picture to make it bigger like you can during the auction. So if the item arrives in bad condition it's going to be hard to go back & look at the picture to see if that's how it was or if the damage happened during shipping.

glassdragon
10-30-11, 03:58 AM
My paypal now says that they are going to start holding my paypal money that is paid to me for auctions until the person says the received it. I typically only sell on there when I need the money and do 1 day auctions for that reason. Guess I'm not selling on there anymore. 55+ with a 100% rating and 5 stars apparently means you are a scammer. fuck them.

Troy Stiffler
10-30-11, 09:32 PM
Here is a testament to how eBay works... I stopped selling on there around a year ago. Last week, I decided to "liquidate" a few tools, just to get rid of them. I listed two circular saws, which ended yesterday. Well, first thing I sell on eBay in a year, and one of the two buyers already backed out.

This is the guy's email...

"Hi, I'm sorry so much.I bought skil saw another. because I'm need it soon.I hope see you later.I'm sorry. Bye bye"

Why bid if you didn't want it? It was obvious that it was a 7 day auction.

I guess I had to be reminded how much eBay sucks.

antspawn
10-31-11, 03:22 AM
My paypal now says that they are going to start holding my paypal money that is paid to me for auctions until the person says the received it. I typically only sell on there when I need the money and do 1 day auctions for that reason. Guess I'm not selling on there anymore. 55+ with a 100% rating and 5 stars apparently means you are a scammer. fuck them.

They got that dumb 21 day hold incase a buyer decides he wants a refund. But the hold is released much sooner if:

1) You provided tracking and it shows delivered
2) You get positive feedback

Ebay sucks and paypal sucks.

Josh-da-man
10-31-11, 04:46 AM
This is the guy's email...

"Hi, I'm sorry so much.I bought skil saw another. because I'm need it soon.I hope see you later.I'm sorry. Bye bye"

Was the buyer Yoda?

TheBang
10-31-11, 10:45 PM
Was the buyer Yoda?
:lol:

joe_b
01-20-13, 12:42 AM
Ebay sucks and paypal sucks.Ain't that the truth. My dad experienced his own PayPal related headache this afternoon. Not exactly topic related, but I felt compelled to share. When I was in high school (around 2004) I'd created a PayPal account and linked it to my dad's credit card. My dad didn't want that information stored, so he had me delete the card after I'd completed the transaction. A couple years later, I attempted to buy some text books and tried to link the same card through a new PayPal account. I received an error message that the card was still in use with another account and could not be added. Remember, it had been deleted from that old account in 2004. I tried several times to add the card and kept getting the same result. My mom even attempted to register an account under her name (my parents have a joint MasterCard account), but got the same error message when attempting to link her card through PayPal. I should have called to sort everything out back then, but I decided not to even bother and simply purchased the books elsewhere.

Cut to today and my dad finally decided to open his own eBay account in order to buy some replacement auto parts. Eight years later, PayPal still will not let his card be linked to another account. He called them up to explain the situation. The phone rep told him they would delete all record of his credit card from the nine year old account. Still, their system was refusing to add the card to his new account. The rep looked up his billing information and told my dad his card was currently associated with three other accounts. Apparently, they counted those failed attempts by my mother and I to relink the card as successful, despite there being no record of the card anywhere on those accounts when we pulled them up. The rep asked him for the names associated with the other accounts and my dad gave her the name of my mother and myself. After putting him on hold for twenty minutes while she consulted with an "account specialist", she finally told him that for security reasons he must use a different card. My dad informed her that he was the primary cardholder and instructed them to remove his billing info from the other accounts their system had on file. She denied this request and suggested that a better solution would be to just get a new credit card number and start over. Really, I understand their stance on the issue -- but I certainly feel my dad was within his rights in demanding his personal billing information be deleted. As this situation was partly my fault, I offered to buy the auto parts for him using my current PayPal account. However, he was so pissed off after speaking to the phone rep that he told me to just forget it and that PayPal could burn in hell. :)

PacMan2006
01-20-13, 08:22 PM

Is Paypal still doing this, and if so, under what kind of conditions? I've sold a few items on eBay over the past few months and haven't noticed any kind of holds. I was able to transfer the money into my bank account almost immediately after the buyer sent payment.

TheBang
01-21-13, 06:59 PM
After putting him on hold for twenty minutes while she consulted with an "account specialist", she finally told him that for security reasons he must use a different card.
Check and see if your card issuer does virtual account numbers. Several do, including Citibank, Bank of America, and Discover. This would allow him to add his card to his PayPal account.

Is Paypal still doing this, and if so, under what kind of conditions? I've sold a few items on eBay over the past few months and haven't noticed any kind of holds. I was able to transfer the money into my bank account almost immediately after the buyer sent payment.
Well, you are responding to a 1.5 year old post. That said, I think there are certain situation under which PayPal will hold the funds temporarily (up to a few weeks), until they are sure that there's less chance of there being a dispute filed. I would imagine that this generally only happens with new sellers or new account, or accounts with no or bad sales history. It might improve the situation if you get your PayPal account Verified.

RonG617
01-27-13, 06:34 PM
I just got my account suspended, taken off Buyer Protection indefinitely, and had all my feedback left for others erased. The reason I was given was that I had left too many 1 star ratings recently. Now I didn't leave anyone a neutral or negative feedback, but out of the last 10 transactions on Ebay, 5 have been a disaster. They ended up working out, so I didn't leave a negative, but I wasn't going to give 5 stars. I called Ebay and asked them why I was being punished for being honest and the rep had no clue. Told me to reply to the email and that would be my appeal. All I got back was the same automated email saying I was suspended for 90 days from buying. I have over 600 transactions over the past 5 years without a negative either way, I have no clue what is up with Ebay.

ben12
01-27-13, 07:23 PM
I guess on rare occasions eBay does look out for its sellers!

BKenn01
01-27-13, 07:52 PM
I just got my account suspended, taken off Buyer Protection indefinitely, and had all my feedback left for others erased. The reason I was given was that I had left too many 1 star ratings recently. Now I didn't leave anyone a neutral or negative feedback, but out of the last 10 transactions on Ebay, 5 have been a disaster. They ended up working out, so I didn't leave a negative, but I wasn't going to give 5 stars. I called Ebay and asked them why I was being punished for being honest and the rep had no clue. Told me to reply to the email and that would be my appeal. All I got back was the same automated email saying I was suspended for 90 days from buying. I have over 600 transactions over the past 5 years without a negative either way, I have no clue what is up with Ebay.

Because they probably felt the way you were rating transactions was improper. Think about it you want your cake and eat it to. You are rating all these sellers as a positive and then dinging their stars. That is not very fair to the sellers as it doesnt solve a problem it just penalizes them. As a seller with over 6000 feedback and about 2 negatives and 5 neutrals during that time I appreciate the way ebay handled based on what you posted.

RonG617
01-31-13, 07:14 PM
Why shouldn't they get rated honestly? If a seller says they are going to ship in 2 days and they take a week to send it out, why should I give 5 stars for shipping? I have 300 buyer feedback and 400 seller feedback, I know what is right and what is wrong. Ebay is wrong about this.

BKenn01
02-02-13, 09:02 AM
Why shouldn't they get rated honestly? If a seller says they are going to ship in 2 days and they take a week to send it out, why should I give 5 stars for shipping? I have 300 buyer feedback and 400 seller feedback, I know what is right and what is wrong. Ebay is wrong about this.

In my opinion if it is bad enough to rate a 1 then it deserves at least a neutral in not a negative. I guess ebay saw this as you possibly doing it purposely.

RonG617
02-02-13, 05:54 PM
Bad mouthed them on Facebook and filed a complaint with the BBB and the suspension is lifted. You make enough noise and they see reason.

zyzzle
02-02-13, 06:43 PM
Score one for the little guy! Kudos to you for taking action and getting results. You have guts, which 99% of Ebayers lack, I feel!