Reload this Page >

Starting a Star Trek journey

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-16-11, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

It's been a long time since I've watched any Trek. My wife and I decided to take a Star Trek journey together. Starting tonight, we are watching every episode of every series plus all the movies. Thought it might be kind of fun to post my thoughts as we go along.

Here's the "plan":

Watching Order:

- The Original Series (79 episodes)
- The Animated Series (22 episodes)
- First 6 movies (Motion Picture through Undiscovered Country)
- The Next Generation (178 episodes)
- Next 4 movies (Generations through Nemesis)
- Deep Space Nine (176 episodes)
- Voyager (172 episodes)
- Enterprise (98 episodes)
- Latest Star Trek Movie

All told, it will be 725 episodes of television and 11 movies. Should be quite the adventure, if we can make it all the way to the end.
Old 03-16-11, 10:08 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 397 Likes on 247 Posts
Re: Starting a Star Trek journey

Looks like a good recipe for a DVT! good luck!
Old 03-16-11, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trevor a few years ago had a plan to go through it all in one calendar year. He fell short and stopped halfway through the year, but he made an admirable attempt:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews...er-advice.html
Old 03-16-11, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

May the force be with you.
Old 03-16-11, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would rather set up the "order" by their airing/release dates. There aren't total overlaps but it would make more sense to see episodes where characters from NEXT GENERATION move to DS9 since they aired concurrently (was VOYAGER on too?). This especially makes sense during First Contact where Worf shows up with the Defiant from DS9.
Old 03-16-11, 10:38 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

stolen directly from some nerd on a Trek forum

Well, if you want to be strictly chronological, you'd need to watch it in this order:

Star Trek: Enterprise (Seasons 1-4)
Star Trek (Seasons 1-3)
Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan
Star Trek III: The Search For Spock
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
Star Trek: The Next Generation (Seasons 1-5)
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (Season 1)
Star Trek: The Next Generation (Season 6)
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (Season 2)
Star Trek: The Next Generation (Season 7)
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (Season 3)
Star Trek: Generations
Star Trek: Voyager (Season 1)
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (Season 4)
Star Trek: Voyager (Season 2)
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (Season 5)
Star Trek: Voyager (Season 3)
Star Trek: First Contact
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (Season 6)
Star Trek: Voyager (Season 4)
Star Trek: Insurrection
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (Season 7)
Star Trek: Voyager (Seasons 5-7)
Star Trek: Nemesis
Star Trek (2009 movie)

As you can see, there's a fair bit of overlapping in the middle there...

This is me being especially pedantic, though - plus overlooking a whole bunch of time travel and flashbacks, etc. IMO, there's no substitute for watching each series one at a time, in this chronological order, inserting the films into the correct time period as you go (for some of the films, notably Insurrection, knowing what's going on elsewhere at the time adds a bit of useful background info - you don't need to know it to enjoy it, but it definitely makes some of the commentary more fun).
Old 03-16-11, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shouldn't the new movie be after Enterprise if it's chronological?

Slightly OT: Anyone know when the new movie will be available OnDemand?
Old 03-16-11, 10:48 AM

Blerg, you guys are making my nerdventure too complicated. I've seen TNG and DS9 before (most of them, anyway). I'm sure I can figure out what's going on without resorting to all that.
Old 03-16-11, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 127 Likes on 93 Posts

That would get crazy to go back and forth. I tried that with a Buffy/Angel re-watch and ended up stopping. I guess that was worse since you're flipping back and forth every few odd episodes.
Old 03-16-11, 11:54 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superman07
That would get crazy to go back and forth. I tried that with a Buffy/Angel re-watch and ended up stopping. I guess that was worse since you're flipping back and forth every few odd episodes.
don't have a multidisc dvd player, huh?
Old 03-16-11, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When I ew-watched TNG and DS9 a few years back I went in airdate order. It worked pretty well and I enjoyed the cross-references (although they were admittedly pretty few).
Old 03-16-11, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,598 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
don't have a multidisc dvd player, huh?
Christ, does anyone anymore? That's like asking if you have a multi-CD player. That's in the closet next to the VCR and the gramophone.

More power to you my friend. There are just way too much Trek I don't really care for to do the same (the original series, the cartoon, early TNG, Voyager, Enterprise).

I wouldn't mind tackling DS9 one of these days. I missed the last few seasons for some reason but I always enjoyed that show.
Old 03-16-11, 12:53 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
Christ, does anyone anymore? That's like asking if you have a multi-CD player. That's in the closet next to the VCR and the gramophone.

More power to you my friend. There are just way too much Trek I don't really care for to do the same (the original series, the cartoon, early TNG, Voyager, Enterprise).

I wouldn't mind tackling DS9 one of these days. I missed the last few seasons for some reason but I always enjoyed that show.
why would you pack up a multi-DVD player? if you don't have a DVD player and are rocking just a BR player and/or netflix, then fine... but I have an upscaling 5 disc multidvd player and I would hardly put it out to pasture with my VCR.
Old 03-16-11, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,598 Likes on 999 Posts

why would you pack up a multi-DVD player? if you don't have a DVD player and are rocking just a BR player and/or netflix, then fine... but I have an upscaling 5 disc multidvd player and I would hardly put it out to pasture with my VCR.
Yep, I'm Blu-ray/Netflix/AppleTV only. Just the idea of someone still using a huge 5-disc carousel player seems ancient to me.
Old 03-16-11, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, I'm Blu-ray/Netflix/AppleTV only. Just the idea of someone still using a huge 5-disc carousel player seems ancient to me.
What do you say about my DVD/VCR combo?
Old 03-16-11, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Dude. The last few seasons of DS9 were the best Trek there ever was. You bailed at the wrong time. Get on it!
Old 03-16-11, 10:11 PM
Suspended

I'm going to do this someday...I've never watched an entire episode of Star Trek, and the only full movie I've watched is the most recent one.
Old 03-16-11, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Xander
Watching Order:

- The Original Series (79 episodes)
- The Animated Series (22 episodes)
- First 6 movies (Motion Picture through Undiscovered Country)
My fiancée and I did these last year (TOS on Blu-ray, TAS on DVD, TMP on DVD and the rest of the movies on Blu-ray). We stopped before TNG because I don't have it on DVD and it's pretty spendy. She had never watched any Star Trek before that (before she met me she didn't even like "space shows"*) but now she's a big fan of Leonard Nimoy. At last year's Emerald City Comicon she even paid for him to sign a photo.

* Since then she's watched a few of them, including Farscape (which she also loved).
Old 03-16-11, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After you've watched the original series and The Next Generation,watch this documentary. It's a great documentary, about Trekkies and Trekkers.

http://www.amazon.com/Trekkies-Denis...0332966&sr=8-1
Old 03-17-11, 08:18 AM

Well, Netflix is fucking with my plan and didn't deliver my discs last night. So we'll probably start watching tomorrow night.

I'm aware that I'll be wading through a lot of drek. The idea of watching some of season three of TOS already makes me shudder. But I want to perservere. I have the feeling my wife will bail way before I get the urge. I know she wants to watch TNG, so that's probably the carrot I'll use to get her through TOS and TAS. We'll see how it goes.
Old 03-17-11, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've been converting all my DVDs of both shows to mp4 video files, placing them on PS3, and re-creating the back-to-back viewing order very easily with that. Took a huge amount of time (just starting to convert ANGEL season 5 now) but whether it's worth the time depends on how much you love it, so it was definitely worth the time to do that. After that I'll be backing up DS9 in the same format.
Old 03-17-11, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The idea of watching some of season three of TOS already makes me shudder.
I'm currently right smack in the middle of it. Not fantastic, but I still get a kick out of it...
Old 03-17-11, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
My fiancée and I did these last year (TOS on Blu-ray, TAS on DVD, TMP on DVD and the rest of the movies on Blu-ray). We stopped before TNG because I don't have it on DVD and it's pretty spendy. She had never watched any Star Trek before that (before she met me she didn't even like "space shows"*) but now she's a big fan of Leonard Nimoy. At last year's Emerald City Comicon she even paid for him to sign a photo.

* Since then she's watched a few of them, including Farscape (which she also loved).
Chicks love Spock.
Old 03-17-11, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 980 Likes on 811 Posts

some nerd on a Trek forum
redundant

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
Trevor a few years ago had a plan to go through it all in one calendar year. He fell short and stopped halfway through the year, but he made an admirable attempt:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews...er-advice.html
That was an awesome effort but he probably should have made it a five-year mission.

When I finally watch Buffy and Angel, I've decided I'm not going to worry about this.

I rammed through about the first five seasons on DVD then stopped watching but have always meant to go back.

Ha, I remember my multi-DVD player and I always found it useful for two-disc movies like LOTR extended. But I sold it when I went Blu. My parents have a multi-DVD player but that's because they wanted a CD carousel and the DVD carousel was cheaper. So it's not even connected to their TV.
Old 03-17-11, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,064 Likes on 767 Posts

It's been a long time since I've watched any Trek. My wife and I decided to take a Star Trek journey together. Starting tonight, we are watching every episode of every series plus all the movies. Thought it might be kind of fun to post my thoughts as we go along.

All told, it will be 725 episodes of television and 11 movies. Should be quite the adventure, if we can make it all the way to the end.
It's probably comforting to know what you will be doing for the rest of your life.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.