Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Horror Film Club (March 28th) - The Unnamable

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-11, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

The Unnamable (1988)

IMDB | Trailer | Review

NETFLIX WATCH INSTANTLY LINK

Selected by Darkgod

SYNOPSIS:
Spoiler:
In this unsettling tale based on a short story by H.P. Lovecraft, a group of college students sets out to prove that the infamous Winthrop House isn't haunted.
But just a few hours into their slumber party, they realize they aren't alone.
Turns out the lingering rumors about a terrifying creature that was born there some 300 years ago are true ... a being so gruesome its parents couldn't bear to give it a name.

FUN FACTS
The film is based on the H.P. Lovecraft short story of the same name that was written in September of 1923 and first published in the July 1925 issue of "Weird Tales".

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in discussion threads, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

HFC HOME

Old 03-31-11, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts
Re: Horror Film Club (March 28th) - The Unnamable

Um...well...I don't think I can be nice about this one. It is a snoozer. Can't sleep? Throw this one on and you will be sound asleep in less than 10 minutes.

I actually remember a friend and I rented this with a few girls back in high school around '89 but I didn't remember anything about the film. Now I know why. We likely talked (or made out) throughout the entire picture.

Dull story, cliche characters, entirely predictable and walking. Lots and lots of walking. A lot of talking too but even more walking. And walking. Here's a drinking game. Drink every time someone takes a 5 minute stroll. You will be visiting the Emergency Room in no time.

The only good thing I can say about this movie is a left puffy nipple and the creature. Luckily the better looking of the two girls in the movie decides to get naked but every time they show her naked, it is only the left puffy nipple. Interesting. I was glad her foreign friend (though her accent honestly sounded more like a deaf person) decided to keep her clothes on. She had a face and a voice that would make a train take a dirt road.

The creature was actually decent but guess what!?! The filmmakers thought it would make their movie more suspenseful if they don't show the creature at all until the final 10 minutes. Wrong! The creature (and the left puffy nipple) were the only things interesting about this turd of a movie and neither makes more than a 7 minute appearance in the entire film.

And the acting wasn't campy bad. It was just bad. Same goes for the dialogue. It is a sad day when the only excitement you receive from a horror film is seeing black stone washed jeans and Eastlands (and a left puffy nipple).

Fuck this movie. What...there's a sequel you say? ER, here I come!

My rating: 1/2 a star out of *****
Old 03-31-11, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And by the way: The Netflix transfer is dark and horrible and is also presented 4:3 and looks probably as bad or worse than the worn VHS tape we rented over 20 years ago. Enjoy!
Old 04-04-11, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Was this turd so bad that nobody here watched it? I was hoping to see a few other opinions at least.
Old 04-04-11, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i remember hating this one as a kid but dont remember anything from it. will prolly be watching it soon
Old 05-04-11, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

I really don't know why this gets knocked down. It has a nice little charm in it to me, just a fun movie to watch and have fun with. If it is the terrible acting of the girls, or the overacting of the friend (who happens to know a lot about the Necronomicon). It had just the right ammount of cheese, and badness to make it good in My opinion. And that isn't because I picked it.

6/10