Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Horror Film Club (March 21st) - Crawlspace

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 03-15-11, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Crawlspace (1986)

IMDB | Trailer | Review

NETFLIX WATCH INSTANTLY LINK

Selected by brianluvdvd

SYNOPSIS:
Spoiler:
Renter BEWARE! Psychotic landloard Karl Gunther (Klaus Kinski) wants to charge you an arm and a leg for the priviledge of tenancy!
Spying on his female renters from an elaborate network of crawlspaces, Gunther lures new victims into his torture chamber with an incessant "tap, tap, tap!"
Can a new prospective renter stop this apartment building's rapid turnover rate...or will Gunther continue to make a killing?!?

FUN FACTS
The often batshitcrazy Klaus Kinski was presumably a pain in the ass during production of the film.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in discussion threads, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

HFC HOME

Old 03-16-11, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: Horror Film Club (March 21st) - Crawlspace

Where did you come up with this one from? It looks amazing...
Old 03-16-11, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Decided to take the plunge and found a mediocre film that underutilizes Kinski and comes across like a Toolbox Murders rip-off without the inventive kills. The ending picks up a bit but all together there's not a lot of cohesiveness and mainly it's a random collection of often slow but sometimes cool looking non-sense. Maybe I was too sleep deprived when I saw this but it just seems sloppy. ...and what is the matter with that ending?

Spoiler:
The fake Kinski death near the end? That was a bit much...

Last edited by Undeadcow; 03-17-11 at 12:41 AM.
Old 03-24-11, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,064 Likes on 644 Posts

I have had this one in my queue for quite sometime so I was glad it was listed to watch. I honestly have never heard of the movie other than remembering the old video box as a teenager. Never saw it for some reason but I have to say that I really enjoyed it and I am really surprised there isn't a larger and more vocal cult following for this movie.

Kinski is uber-creepy and is perfect for the role. I loved how the movie just jumped right in and you knew exactly what kind of character he was within 3 minutes of the film with no exposition whatsoever. Nudity within 10 minutes. Really corny dialogue. 3-D like opening credits in a non-3-D film. Score that sometimes does not match the action on the screen at all. Suspect acting from the secondary characters. Genuinely creepy moments scattered among several silly ones but yet the silly scenes still work.

The really silly scenes like the entire soap opera chick with the older man scene and the hilarious singing at the piano scene by the "performer" stood out for me. The singing scene was classically bad but funny as hell. Add in some very interesting kills and you have yourself a whopper of a B-movie. Yeah, a few things don't work here and there but as a whole, a very enjoyable film for me. Running a scant 80 minutes also helps.

My rating: **** out of *****
Old 03-24-11, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

iv been having streaming problems on my ps3 with netflix lately seem the first 3o mins so far iv been enjoying and surprised i havent heard of it. hopefully i can finish it this weekend
Old 03-29-11, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Wow... kudos to Brianluvdvd for suggesting this. Such a good flick under the radar, and would never have seen it unless suggested. Kinski is insanely sick in this, and psycho to boot. The acting is so subpar, except for Kinski, but I overlooked that because I just saw this as nothing more then a B-movie. Maybe because I went in with that mindset is why I actually like its. I mean the premise is pretty ubsurd but, it just works for some odd reason,

6/10
Old 03-30-11, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I watched this one during the 2009 challenge. This was what I posted in my little review then:

The main reason I decided to record and watch this was Klaus Kinski, and he certainly didn't disappoint. Kinski was always been such an odd character, and he was able to use all that to create a really creepy character. I thought this movie was far better than the 4.6 it currently has on IMDB. It's definitely worth a viewing.