Old 03-15-11, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,529 Posts
Lights Out -- "Cut Men" -- 3/15/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-01-17

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Lights' setback wins him little sympathy from either Death Row Reynolds or Barry Word. Meanwhile, Theresa makes a career decision as her graduation from medical school approaches; and Margaret Leary has a new boyfriend.

Episode 10 of 13

Promo:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HDFvZDoI3Xw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-16-11, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Lights Out -- "Cut Men" -- 3/15/11

This show seems to have taken a turn in the wrong direction. Just a couple weeks ago, it was starting to get pretty good. But, since they shipped off Romeo, I've started to dislike the main characters.
Old 03-16-11, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 368 Likes on 297 Posts

Agreed... now Lights is taking steroids?? Come on, this is worse than a soap opera where you expect it to be campy.
Old 03-16-11, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It really has gone downhill the last couple episodes. I'm hoping Romeo shows up in Death Row's corner at the fight.
Old 03-16-11, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 704 Likes on 512 Posts

What does this show and a rapper have in common? They're both Ludacris.

And to be so forgiving again of Johnny? Are you fuckin' shitting me? Finally nice to see his sister and Hal together after that was teased in next episode previews 3 episodes ago.
Old 03-16-11, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The writers screwed the pooch by not developing the relationship with Romeo over the course of the season up until the actual fight. Heck, they could have had Lights win or lose by a slim margin or technicality, destroy the relationship with Romeo and then done a rematch... but no, two weeks in and he's gone.
Old 03-16-11, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
The writers screwed the pooch by not developing the relationship with Romeo over the course of the season up until the actual fight. Heck, they could have had Lights win or lose by a slim margin or technicality, destroy the relationship with Romeo and then done a rematch... but no, two weeks in and he's gone.
This is just a guess, but I think they filmed Lights Out before Eamonn Walker started working on the now cancelled ABC show "The Whole Truth" which he was a lead. And he was probably not available for anymore episodes. FX tends to shoot their shows many months to almost a year before they hit air.
Old 03-16-11, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

They started out building characters and had some good scenes making the audience care about them... and now it has gone into we need to drum up a bunch of crap to keep viewers interested mode?

Stabbing, steroids.... and the street fight? I was willing to give a pass on the MMA fight a while back (both the quality/realism of that scene and the need for it), gave a pass on the Diablo fight in terms of quality (as the show seemed as much about the characters as the plot)... but they can accomplish moving the plot along without the absurd plot lines (Lights could have had a training injury that put pressure on the fight timeline, or he could have suffered a less dramatic injury breaking up the fight between his brother and Romeo... of course that wouldn't produce the much needed steroid or immune system breakdown story that seems to be on the way)

I'd give up on this show if there were more than 3 episodes left to the season (series?) finale and am now purely in it for the trainwreck aspect of it and to see if the plot can get even crazier...
Old 03-16-11, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They rushed everything. The Diablo fight should have been the S1 finale. They could have sprinkled in rounds of the fight with his family life and added some drama with his kids or wife... Like a flashback or parallelism type story. Spread over a two part season finale, it would have been epic instead of crammed into the ten minutes of a single episode and leaving us all guessing if the fight was fixed.
Old 03-16-11, 10:13 PM

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts

Yeah, this show got off to a great start, but has been struggling since the middle of the season -- this week's episode was no exception. No idea where it's going to go in the final stretch, but hope it's exciting (doubt it'll be returning for another season).
Old 03-16-11, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

At least the street fight made sense, Lights was baiting him into it, so he'd demand to have the fight.
Old 03-17-11, 03:10 PM

I don't know. You really think he was baiting him into the street fight? Especially considering he's already injured? I think Lights was just trying to shame him or goad Death Row into disobeying Barry and demanding he fight Lights.
Old 03-17-11, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SiberianLlama
I don't know. You really think he was baiting him into the street fight? Especially considering he's already injured? I think Lights was just trying to shame him or goad Death Row into disobeying Barry and demanding he fight Lights.
That's what I thought, too.
Old 03-17-11, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SiberianLlama
By baiting him into the street fight, he makes DR drop his zen BS and realize how much he wants to get lights in the ring. At least that is my take. Lights is already injured, if they both get cut/injured and have to push the fight, then so much the better.

I think we're seeing it the same way, lights is trying to force DR's hand and make a demand to barry that he will only fight lights.