Old 03-15-11, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,529 Posts
Glee -- "Original Song" -- 3/15/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-10-15

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
With Sue Sylvester coaching Aural Intensity, Blaine and the Warblers' dynamic set list and tough judges Tammy Jean Albertson (guest star Griffin) and Sister Mary Constance (guest star Devine), the kids of New Directions decide the only way to win Regionals is to write and perform their own original songs. Meanwhile, Quinn is hell-bent on getting Finn back and ruling McKinley once again.

Episode 16 of 22

After tonight, the show goes on break for 4 weeks.

Promo:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y6w4kYIzDVc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-15-11, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Glee -- "Original Song" -- 3/15/11

As much as I enjoyed season 1, this show is losing my interest week after week. I fast-forwarded thru about half of last week's episode. Will probably hang around for the rest of this season but all bets are off after that.
Old 03-15-11, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ericmylad
As much as I enjoyed season 1, this show is losing my interest week after week. I fast-forwarded thru about half of last week's episode. Will probably hang around for the rest of this season but all bets are off after that.
You sir, are not a tr00 Gleek.
Old 03-15-11, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 908 Likes on 643 Posts

I felt that way going into the Christmas break, but think it's gotten tremendously better since it's return. No heavy-handed plots that beat you over the head (cough...Kurt/bully). Just some dorky h.s. kids with goofy problems that express themselves in song, which is why the first season worked so well.

The song selection hasn't been top notch as of late, but passable.
Old 03-15-11, 07:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

@ Big Ass Heart.
Old 03-15-11, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I felt that way going into the Christmas break, but think it's gotten tremendously better since it's return. No heavy-handed plots that beat you over the head (cough...Kurt/bully). Just some dorky h.s. kids with goofy problems that express themselves in song, which is why the first season worked so well.
Agreed. Before the break, I was starting to kind of sour on this one. The Super Bowl episode didn't do a lot to help, but the past few episodes have been really solid.
Old 03-15-11, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was good ep, if only because it was jam packed with decent performances.

Kurt must have been reading my mind by calling the Warblers "Blain and the Pips". I loved when one kid got really defensive when someone said a song wasn't in Blaine's range. Didn't really buy the Blain love at 847th sight moment and the "I've been looking for you all my life" line a bit much. I guess the gays are a bit melodramatic.

Argon was horrible in that voice over. But I really liked her in the scene with Rachael. Something about her describing her future was sweet and sad even while she was being mean.

The original songs were all pretty good. I liked Hell No the best. None of them really hooked me though. Musically they were all pretty standard.

I didn't realize they were actually doing the competition in this ep. Too bad they wasted the vocal adrenaline performance on a gag song. It was a good opportunity for them to show off some talent.

Dialog wasn't that great this ep. Brit's favorite song being hairband was funny. Kathy Griffin was as hilarious as always, which is to say not at all. The nun's line about staying off the pole was the only good one in the entire judges scene. Even Sue was kind of forgettable in this ep as well.

Last edited by wmansir; 03-15-11 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-15-11, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,598 Likes on 999 Posts

That wasn't Vocal Adrenaline. It was Aural Intensity. I'm sure they will compete against VA at Nationals.
Old 03-15-11, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I stand corrected, but either way it seemed like a waste. I can understand though because this episode seemed rushed. I think they reached their usual quota for musical performances before the competition even began.
Old 03-15-11, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 963 Likes on 598 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir
The nun's line about staying off the pole was the only good one in the entire judges scene. Even Sue was kind of forgettable in this ep as well.
The judges' scene had a couple of other good lines: "Can I add a dash of Rod to this lady soup" and "That Dalton Academy--is it a gay school, or is it just a school that appears gay?"

And Sue punching out the lieutenant governor's drunk wife was hilarious.

The Nude Erections original songs at the competition were kinda meh, but they fit the story well. I do hope they go back to singing covers at Nationals.

The funniest part of the whole show was Santana singing "Trouty Lips."
Old 03-15-11, 10:36 PM

I liked this episode. The original songs were a bit better than I expected. I'm also glad that Blaine realized what music hog he is.
Old 03-15-11, 10:47 PM

Received 90 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
And Sue punching out the lieutenant governor's drunk wife was hilarious.
For a brief second, I thought Sue had actually killed her when they cut to the dirt going onto the box - then I realized they were burying the bird.
Old 03-15-11, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Glee has been back to good the last few eps, I really liked this one. All of the Warbler performances were great - I like when they do top 40 but put a good spin on it that makes it more than just karaoke. The original songs were definitely a mixed bag - did not dig hell to the No but thought the final number was decent. Glad they packed a lot of performances into this one - and I loved this line from Sue: "I'm gonna drop a little turdlette on you. I lied last week William. I forged that letter from My Chemical Romance, also I didn't sleep with their drummer. The drummer I slept with was that guy from Jimmy Eat World"

As a fan of both MCR and especially Jimmy Eat World, thought that was hilarious.
Old 03-16-11, 12:07 AM

Received 763 Likes on 497 Posts

My wife read somewhere that they are going to release a Warbler CD sometime soon.
Old 03-16-11, 12:36 AM

Good episode with some good performances. I really liked Rachel's song at the end. Too often I find her a bit too much to take, especially this season. But this performance was terrific, IMO.

Where are all the teachers at the Warbler's school? All they seem to do is sit around, have meetings, and sing songs all day.

Sue is so over the top now. She is becoming my least favorite character. Too many things that she does doesn't ring true for someone in her position (shoving students into the lockers, punching a lt. governor's wife, etc.). She wouldn't have her job at all in real life, but of course, Glee doesn't depict real life....
Old 03-16-11, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
My wife read somewhere that they are going to release a Warbler CD sometime soon.
The Warblers are both the best and worst of the show for me, I lol my ass off at the fat warbler dancing, but the songs are pretty wack, with a few exceptions.
Old 03-16-11, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They are overdoing the Sue character. She is no longer fun to watch.
Glad Kurt and Blaine finally kissed. I like the way they have handled their relationship.
Old 03-16-11, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
That would be alright by me. Their performances have been among my favorites this season.
Old 03-16-11, 06:00 AM

Received 499 Likes on 360 Posts

USA Today had an article in yesterday's paper on Glee:

Glee' has lost its voice in all the chaos

How did Glee become so much less than the sum of its best parts?

That's not the way the equation used to work. Fox's Glee (Tuesday, 8 ET/PT) may have always reeked of barely constrained chaos, but fans of the audaciously distinctive series accepted the mess, the excess and the occasional plot stumbles because the parts that worked worked well enough to make up for a multitude of TV sins.

Yet sadly, somewhere around the time Kurt exited the Glee club for an elite, gay-friendly, all-boys school down the road, the show seemed to lose its way and its balance. What had been a musical comedy with at least one toe dipped in real waters now seems to be an over-produced, overly Auto-Tuned variety show that exists merely to sell downloads of its covers — a modern version of Your Hit Parade.

In some ways, Glee's slips are typical of shows that become too hot too fast, indulging in too many big-name guests and too many gimmick-laden "very special" episodes. Last week gave us the worst of both worlds, with an all-consuming Gwyneth Paltrow return visit that played like a South Park spoof on after-school specials — one designed to encourage teenage sex. Once we might have heard Artie sing a sensitive song about adolescent desire and confusion; now we get Paltrow leading the kids in Do You Wanna Touch Me.

What has been lost is any attempt to tell a sensible story, as the show recycles plots and rejuggles couples (Santana now loves Brittany? Really?) without regard for consequences, common sense or clear motivation. How can we invest in their teen worries over regionals and high school relationships when each ever-more-ludicrously-elaborate production number tells us they should just chuck it and go on tour?

As for Sue, she has become such a tiresome mishmash of unduly nasty and unbearably maudlin, she even defeats the best efforts of Jane Lynch. One moment she's announcing she won't stand for bullying; the next she's pushing a teacher down the steps and throwing students into lockers, behavior that gets you not just fired but arrested.

Even the songs, once the show's saving graces, now seem to drop in at random, often courtesy of Darren Criss' likable but overexposed Blaine. Glee seems to have lost all interest in using music to advance the plot or define the characters. Worse, it has lost its ability to establish an emotional connection between song and singer, the kind that made Chris Colfer's October version of I Want to Hold Your Hand so moving.

That's the Glee some of us miss, and the Glee some of us want back. Let's hope that's not too much to ask.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...lee15_ST_N.htm
Old 03-16-11, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
USA Today had an article in yesterday's paper on Glee:
can't disagree with that article. I did like the original songs though and enjoyed the episode.
Old 03-16-11, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, I for one liked the episode quite a bit. That "Troutty Mouth" song was awesome.
Old 03-16-11, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I liked it for the most part. Liked all of the original songs, especially Santana, Puck and Mercedes.

Kathy Griffin was forgettable, but the nun was pretty funny and Rod brought some entertainment as well. I liked the Warblers numbers and New Directions songs at regionals were good too.

Totally over Sue. I agree with that article, her getting away with physically abusing the students and punching a Lt. Governor (assuming she gets away with that) is getting too ridiculous. No way she should still be working at that school. Or at all, for that matter.

Other than that, thought it was a fun episode. I also agree with wmansir that Quinn's moment with Rachel in the auditorium was very well done.
Old 03-16-11, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This would have been my post-superbowl episode. I tend to extract the performances I like from the HD broadcast so I can watch them later. I'm going to be busy with this one. Just all kind of varied and good performances, even on the original songs. The girls were also hot. Santana? Yum. Brittany with the hat outfit? Too cute. And of course Quinn is always a looker. Good stuff. Yes Sue was ridiculously over the top, but she was a minimal part of the episode.

[dirt falls out of locker]
Brittany: I don't even remember putting that in there.
Old 03-16-11, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah I agree with the article for the most part but it happened long before Kurt went to the Warblers, and they have actually turned it around a bit since the superbowl episode.
Old 03-16-11, 03:25 PM

I'll probably get voted out of the Glee Club, but aren't the shows on now just repeats?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.