Reload this Page >

Antony and Cleopatra 3/29

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 03-14-11, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Charleton Heston. Anyone have an interest in this? Just saw this listed today. Not a bad price at $10.99 from Amazon. I may have to bite on this just as a blind buy. I think Soylent Green is being released on the same day. Throw in Black Swan and 3/29 is shaping up to be a big purchase day.
Old 04-10-11, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Antony and Cleopatra 3/29

I'm working up a review on this one.

Long story short, if Heston wasn't drawing from Shakespeare this would have been a fantastic B-movie. As it stands, he bit off way more than he could chew adapting the play, directing, and taking the lead role. No one performance is terrible, but instead the movie falls apart due to pacing issues and a cheap look to production design.

I'd recommend a rental only, because adding to matters the transfer is lacking and the audio has an audible hiss to it. You eventually don't notice it as much, but it's still an obscene problem for a 1972 film released in 2011.
Old 04-11-11, 01:21 PM

With a sub-par transfer I may skip on this, but i'll wait for your review to decide. The price is right to take a chance on it though.
Old 04-12-11, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/49238/antony-cleopatra/

The transfer is easily tolerable, but that audio hiss is what really pushed me to recommend renting first.

In fact, if you're a Heston fan, I strongly recommend a rental, but understand the film's flaws. The final act is truly magnificent though.
Old 04-12-11, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

One last note, if you're a Shakespeare fan, you might want to wait for this 4 Film Set coming in May.

http://www.amazon.com/Tcm-Greatest-C...2635702&sr=8-2

It has ANTONY & CLEOPATRA as well as Olivier's OTHELLO and the 30s versions of ROMEO & JULIET and A MIDSUMMER'S NIGHT DREAM.
Old 04-13-11, 12:46 PM

I will be picking this one up at some future date. I may throw this in with one of my future orders next month. Next month is going to be busy with the Civil War set coming out plus some others i'm looking forward to. Are you planning on reviewing Boris Karloff's The Terror which was recently released?
Old 04-13-11, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything with Charlton Heston is a necessary addition to my collection. I've always found his films regardless of quality to have high replay value. Had I listened to complaints about the War Lord not being anamorphic, I would have to shell out a large amount to own it now.
Old 04-13-11, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by JOE29
Are you planning on reviewing Boris Karloff's The Terror which was recently released?
No.
Old 04-14-11, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by hasslein
Anything with Charlton Heston is a necessary addition to my collection. I've always found his films regardless of quality to have high replay value. Had I listened to complaints about the War Lord not being anamorphic, I would have to shell out a large amount to own it now.
I tried out Soylent Green a few weeks ago. I really enjoyed it and was a bit surprised that it was so good.