Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Ever quit a game right at the end?

Draven
03-14-11, 12:23 PM
I recently got to the end of Dead Space 2, and died 6 or 7 times at the end boss....or what I assume is the end boss. Anyway, I didn't have a lot of extra health, it's an annoying fight and I was getting tired of it. I was on Amazon later that night and saw they were offering some decent trade-in value and I wanted to send a few more games in anyway, so I just sent it back.

You'd think I'd want to see the end but I don't play games for stories. So once I feel the gameplay part is over, I really have no interest in seeing how it wraps up. The 5 extra minutes of the game I would have seen had I won that fight...eh, don't really care.

I also did the with the first Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox. I was so proud of myself for learning how to play that game well and fighting my way to the end boss on normal difficulty. But after dying many, many times...I just said fuck it and never played it again.

I almost did this with Borderlands too, but managed to get myself into a glitchy spot where the boss couldn't hurt me and just wore him down. Took forever though and wasn't really worth the trouble.

Just wondered if I'm alone in giving up even though you're close to the end.

starseed1981
03-14-11, 12:33 PM
I also did the with the first Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox. I was so proud of myself for learning how to play that game well and fighting my way to the end boss on normal difficulty. But after dying many, many times...I just said fuck it and never played it again.

Really? You basically just Izuna drop him non-stop. He's actually easier than most normal enemies.

Anyhow, only three titles come to mind. Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow, Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks and Need For Speed: Underground.

Groucho
I do this a lot. Some examples:

GTA IV -- No checkpointing on the final mission

FF XIII -- got to the final boss, realized I needed a few more levels to beat him. Didn't have the heart to grind up.

Dead Rising -- went back a couple years later, leveled to the cap, and tried again.

foxdvd
Pac-Man...for the 2600...

I am not sure how close I was to the end...but I had to be close because I had played for hours...I just gave up.. ;)

devilshalo
03-14-11, 12:35 PM
I never finished Shadow of the Colossus. I got to the final guy and made it up to his head, but that was it. Then it became repetitive and frustrating. And now that I sold my PS2 and the game, I'll never finish it. It was the one time I didn't finish a game.

foxdvd
03-14-11, 12:36 PM
GTA IV -- No checkpointing on the final mission

Same here...not on the final mission..but I played for many hours..was close to the end, and just gave up when I realized I was not having fun. It was an easy game, but when you made one little mistake, you would not only have to start over, but sometimes it would take 20 minutes to get back to the spot that you needed to start the mission....

Michael Corvin
03-14-11, 12:54 PM
Metroid Prime

Not sure why. Spent a ton of time on the game and gave the spider boss a few attempts and decided I was good. I have since played through the Wii remake and finished the game. I didn't know at the time how close I was to the end. :lol:

Adam Tyner
03-14-11, 01:02 PM
I know this is lame, but I did that at the end of Beyond Good and Evil. I couldn't do the reversed controls on the last boss. After something like my twelfth attempt, I figured I felt as if I'd accomplished enough.

UncleGramps
03-14-11, 02:00 PM
I'm pretty sure I was near the end of DQ9 when I gave up. I enjoyed the game, but decided that leveling up for hours and hours just to beat a few final bosses wasn't worth it. I wasn't invested in the story, so I didn't see the point.

murray731
03-14-11, 02:03 PM
I got to one of those last bosses in Final Fantasy X and couldn't beat him. I must have tried 30 or 40 times. I think that's the only game I've done that with, usually I will stick it out.

spainlinx0
03-14-11, 02:13 PM
GTA San Andreas. I really enjoyed the game, except for taking over territories. When I realized I would have to go section to section doing it, I said fuck it.

DJLinus
03-14-11, 02:18 PM
Yep. Last year I made it to the last stage in "Conan" for the 360. I was enjoying the game up until then. That last boss fight, though, was frustratingly endless. I was no longer having a good time so I just gave up with no regrets at all.

shumway
03-14-11, 02:18 PM
Phantasy Star II back in the day. I could NEVER beat Dark Force. Also, I quit playing Kingdom Hearts I at Bastion Hollow due to boredom and never went back. The only games I have finished lately have been DQ games on DS.

MrX
03-14-11, 02:19 PM
I took a break from Fallout: NV right before you chose who to side with because I was feeling burnt out, that was back in December, and I still haven't gone back to it yet.

lopper
03-14-11, 02:43 PM
I do this a lot. In fact, I think I quit most games before I actually finish them. I just get bored with them.

I did make it all the way to the final boss (I think) of Demon's Souls before quitting. I was ready to move on to something else at that point.

I also recently gave up on Fallout New Vegas as well, although I have no idea where in the main story I was.

TheKing
03-14-11, 03:08 PM
The best example I can think of for me was a game called The Fantastic Adventures Of Dizzy back on the NES. I played that game quite a bit, and got close to the end of it, but couldn't figure out how to beat the damn thing (this was before you could look up a walkthrough).

Anyway, I stopped playing once I got my SNES, but picked it up a few years ago through an emulator and finally, after about 15 years, I beat the damn game!

The only other examples I can think of would be involving PS3 trophies. I beat GTA to 100% completion, and have almost every trophy. But I'm missing two of the online trophies because of the tedium involved in obtaining them. I will go back and finish them off eventually to get my platinum though.

brainee
03-14-11, 03:09 PM
Pac-Man...for the 2600...

I am not sure how close I was to the end...but I had to be close because I had played for hours...I just gave up.. ;)

Too bad ... you missed one hell of cinematic cut-scene!

Not quite at the end, but I bailed pretty late while playing Final Fantasy X-2. Just wasn't enjoying it the same way I had other FF games. Though far into the game, I saw a bit of level grinding left and the story wasn't interesting enough to push me forward to find out how things turned out.

Decker
03-14-11, 03:09 PM
Final Fantasy VII. Fuck you, Sephiroth!

Gideon68
03-14-11, 03:10 PM
Fracture - I think I came close to beating him but kept dying and finally gave-up.

fujishig
03-14-11, 03:15 PM
I do this a lot with JRPGs (like Final Fantasy), because I usually get pretty invested in them, then get to the point where the world opens up (via blimp or whatever) right before the end so you can go finish all the sidequests and level up, then put it down for a while... and have a really hard time picking it up again, either due to having to relearn the gameplay or not understanding what's going on in the story anymore.

Anubis2005X
03-14-11, 03:33 PM
I'm stuck on the last Battle Stage of Brutal Legend. It's really annoying, and I hope to beat it one day. But after a few tries I just say eff it and play another game for awhile.

Anubis2005X
03-14-11, 03:35 PM
I don't ever really give up, but I'll take a break for a long period of time. It took me months to beat the last level of Far Cry. I don't know what was up, it was just really friggin' hard for me for some reason...

EDIT: Though I should probably change my vote, because even when I played Ninja Gaiden 1 (NES) on emulation, i STILL couldn't beat it. That was years ago. I definitely gave up on that one, hahaha...

asianxcore
03-14-11, 03:36 PM
Only once with Star Ocean: Till The End Of Time (PS2)

Put about 55-65 hours into grinding all my characters, getting the best weapons I could find and so forth. When I got to the end I realized that it was near impossible to beat the final boss.

Why? The Alchemy System in the game nets you some pretty ridiculously powerful weapons, which I didn't use at all during my playthrough :(

FatTony
03-14-11, 03:59 PM
I think I was really close to the end of Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker when I had to put it aside due to finals. When I tried to go back to it a couple weeks later, I just couldn't get back into it, so I never finished it.

Recently, I almost gave up on Dead Rising 2 because I was on the last boss and hadn't leveled up very far, so I was getting my ass handed to me repeatedly. I restarted the campaign and by the time I got to the end again, I was at a much higher level and beat him on the first try.

T-bone22
03-14-11, 04:03 PM
I recently got to the end of Dead Space 2, and died 6 or 7 times at the end boss....or what I assume is the end boss. Anyway, I didn't have a lot of extra health, it's an annoying fight and I was getting tired of it. I was on Amazon later that night and saw they were offering some decent trade-in value and I wanted to send a few more games in anyway, so I just sent it back.

You'd think I'd want to see the end but I don't play games for stories. So once I feel the gameplay part is over, I really have no interest in seeing how it wraps up. The 5 extra minutes of the game I would have seen had I won that fight...eh, don't really care.

I almost did this with Borderlands too, but managed to get myself into a glitchy spot where the boss couldn't hurt me and just wore him down. Took forever though and wasn't really worth the trouble.

Just wondered if I'm alone in giving up even though you're close to the end.

Did the exact same with Dead Space 2. Also, with Final Fantasy 13.

majorjoe23
03-14-11, 04:09 PM
I think I got to right around the final mission of Hulk Ultimate Destruction about 3 years back, then got distracted by other games. Maybe after I beat GTA 4 (which I also got distracted from) I'll give it a go at completing it.

Numanoid
03-14-11, 04:10 PM
If you ever find yourself in such a place and really want to see the final battle and story resolution, there's usually a video on YouTube of someone doing just that.

MoviePage
03-14-11, 04:31 PM
Guess I got lucky on Dead Space 2 in using the right weapon on the final boss on the first attempt, because I don't think I even lost any health, and the battle was over in about 10 seconds.

Anyway, the only game that I distinctly remember giving up on right at the end is Dark Cloud for PS2. I remember it because I loved the rest of the game up till that point. For most games, if I'm invested enough to stick with it all the way to the final boss, I'm not giving up then.

Draven
03-14-11, 04:37 PM
Really? You basically just Izuna drop him non-stop. He's actually easier than most normal enemies.

It was a while ago, but I remember having to jump on flying platforms and attack him, I kept get knocked off...it was just annoying to me. Maybe I was making it too hard. I swear I beat some of the bosses in that game on sheer blind luck so maybe I thought it had run out at that point :)

I'm really glad I'm not alone in this practice - I thought I was weird for not sticking it out.

arminius
03-14-11, 04:57 PM
In Doom II, I just could not get 2 rockets into the portal. What I did do was back into a corner on the platform and using cheats for health, armor and weapons, slaughtered a googolplex of mutants. I don't know how long I was doing that but after a while the whole thing just locked up and crashed. There was just piles of corpses around me while that was going on.

On Half Life, I could not do the jump on the last boss and finally just gave up. I liked the game until then.

Mike86
03-14-11, 05:20 PM
Not right at the end but some I've quit on recently:

Final Fantasy XIII: not that big into RPGs in the first place but I fell into the hype from my friend ranting about how much he liked it and decided to blind it. It was alright but I lost interest..

GTA IV: I played through quite a bit of the storyline (at least I think) and I just found it repetitive and wasn't having fun playing it so I set it aside for later. Haven't came back to it yet.

Dead Space: I started playing in January and got to about mission 8 I think when I wanted to break to play another game. I intended to get back to it but as yet haven't. I still intend to get back to it hopefully though.

Dead Rising: I was having fun with it but my game or system or something was having some weird glitch where it wasn't saving my progress. I tried saving multiple times to ensure it was saving, but it never did so I just got fed up with it and never have played since.

DVDChris
03-14-11, 06:06 PM
If I know I'm at the end, I'll always finish it. However if I'm half way through, and not enjoying myself, I'll stop playing.

Mercenaries 2 was that game for me.

adrenaline78
03-14-11, 06:14 PM
Final Fantasy VII. Fuck you, Sephiroth!

I found sephiroth easy.. it was the emerald weapon guy i couldn't beat.. Luckily you didn't need to beat him to win the game.

Lethal Nemesis
03-14-11, 06:20 PM
Final Fantasy VIII

hated the drawing/junctioning system. when i got to Ultimecia, i wasn't powerful enough to beat her and i didn't care enough to grind. i think i finally ended up using a gameshark just so i could beat it and see the ending.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
03-14-11, 07:34 PM
Only game that comes to mind is Final Fantasy V. I played thru most of it on a Translated rom on an emulator years before it was released in the US. Still not sure why I stopped.

Just a couple years ago I popped in the PS1 comp and played it all the way thru, and was shocked at how much I remembered (meaning how close I was to the end before I quit).

Lateralus
03-14-11, 08:13 PM
The Witcher -- Got to the very end, climbed up the mountain and fought and fought and fought finally I got killed and said the heck with it.

Crysis -- My video card could not handle the very last scene on the aircraft carrier it kept on messing up and I never finished.

Fallout 3--- got very far and then accidentally stumbled to the end of the game, got bored and never went back.

dtcarson
03-14-11, 08:50 PM
Not often if I'm right near the end. I'll definitely quit before the endgame if I'm bored. If I'm at the very last boss/mission, I definitely try to slog my way through it to finish, but if I'm not real close, I have no problem quitting.
Sometimes it's not my fault - Saints Row 2 froze like a dozen times in the last mission, it annoyed me, haven't gone back.

Barth
03-14-11, 09:09 PM
Not often if I'm right near the end. I'll definitely quit before the endgame if I'm bored. If I'm at the very last boss/mission, I definitely try to slog my way through it to finish, but if I'm not real close, I have no problem quitting.
Sometimes it's not my fault - Saints Row 2 froze like a dozen times in the last mission, it annoyed me, haven't gone back.

Glad I wasn't the only one on the Saints Row 2 freeze at the end. It happened over and over and I finally gave up. It was fustrating though cause I logged a lot of hours on that game. Great game till that point.

Conan was another one mentioned that I really liked, but that ending boss was just horrible. Gave up and traded it in.

mhg83
03-14-11, 09:56 PM
GTA San Andreas. I really enjoyed the game, except for taking over territories. When I realized I would have to go section to section doing it, I said fuck it.

That was one game I hated giving up on. Got up to the desert missions. Having a great time and then I get to the airplane tutorials. After 50 times failing, I finally gave up. Had logged 70 + hours so I definitely got my moneys worth. But I really wanted to get to the vegas missions :(

Giantrobo
03-14-11, 10:17 PM
Knights of the Old Republic (I was new to RPG's and I didn't level my player right so the Final Boss was kicking my ass)

nickdawgy
03-14-11, 10:20 PM
I was at the end boss in Gears of War, and gave up because I kept dying. I traded it in, and never even tried Gears 2, and have no interest in Gears 3.

mndtrp
03-14-11, 10:21 PM
I'm stuck on the last Battle Stage of Brutal Legend. It's really annoying, and I hope to beat it one day. But after a few tries I just say eff it and play another game for awhile.

I just gave up and sold the game.

Wazootyman
03-15-11, 01:08 AM
No More Heroes.

I wasn't having a very good time with it (seriously, what do people see in this game?) And was riding the motorcycle to the final mission. I messed up and missed some turn off on the road and died. I needed to again drive to that point, which took about 5 minutes. When I missed it again, I said screw it and immediately sold it.

Boba Fett
03-15-11, 02:07 AM
I got screwed by a glitch on Dead Rising and my last save didn't have enough time to enter the endgame. I haven't had the heart to restart the game.

boredsilly
03-15-11, 04:17 AM
Lost Planet. Was on the last level, and just had enough.

Ginwen
03-15-11, 09:19 AM
Phantasy Star II back in the day. I could NEVER beat Dark Force.

Phantasy Star II for me as well. As I remember you had to go through a dungeon to get to him, and then he'd kill me pretty quick. Still kind of bugs me that I got all that way and didn't finish though.

uteotw
03-15-11, 09:22 AM
GTA IV, for the same reasons stated---no checkpoints and insanely frustrating to go way, way back. Not fun, no thanks...

(Just started Dead Space 2; hope to finish and not be posting in this thread on that one...)

Breakfast with Girls
03-15-11, 10:40 AM
I'm the type of gamer that will play through a game multiple times in order to get all the achievements, so I have quite a bit of patience. But I have done this twice that I can remember...

Dragon Quest II - I got to the final boss and was a few levels under-leveled (which is amazing, since I usually over-level in RPGs). I tried a few times and then decided I didn't care.

Final Fantasy III - After playing and enjoying I and II, I played III and got to the point where you go to the Temple of Time, which is underwater. That isn't exactly at the end, but I almost always finish story-based games that I start, so it's unusual enough to include here. The enemy difficulty seemed to sharply increase here, and I was kind of bored with the game, so I just stopped.

Someday I'll come back and finish these, but for now the wizard has not been stopped and the world remains imbalanced. Sorry, digital dudes.

Michael Corvin
03-15-11, 10:45 AM
So to sum up this thread, RPGs and open world games.

starman9000
03-15-11, 11:07 AM
Metroid Prime for me as well.

Darkfriend
03-15-11, 11:28 AM
For me it was Resident Evil Code Veronica; show up in the last Boss's room with one red herb (useless) and 5 or 6 bullets in my gun. Die and oh joy! Autosave feature right before the Boss fight in a locked room. /quit.

Jeraden
03-15-11, 11:39 AM
Phantasy Star II back in the day. I could NEVER beat Dark Force. Also, I quit playing Kingdom Hearts I at Bastion Hollow due to boredom and never went back. The only games I have finished lately have been DQ games on DS.

Lol, was just going to post the same thing. Only game I can remember was Phantasy Star II where I threw the towel in on the end boss.

Plenty of other games I abandoned at various stages in the game because I got bored, but usually will finish if I'm that close to the end.

fujishig
03-15-11, 12:01 PM
So to sum up this thread, RPGs and open world games.

Well, they are usually the longer games... but I've never finished Madden or NBA 2K either.

Lol, was just going to post the same thing. Only game I can remember was Phantasy Star II where I threw the towel in on the end boss.

Plenty of other games I abandoned at various stages in the game because I got bored, but usually will finish if I'm that close to the end.

I love Phantasy Star 2. My friend and I stayed up until 4 in the morning to beat that last boss. How I wish they went back to single-player games for that franchise.

As far as JRPGs go, I think I used to finish a higher percentage of them when I was younger mainly because I had more time, and I wasn't so easily distracted by the newest, shiniest JRPGs, since there were so few of them released in the US back then.

shumway
03-15-11, 12:35 PM
Dragon Quest II - I got to the final boss and was a few levels under-leveled (which is amazing, since I usually over-level in RPGs). I tried a few times and then decided I didn't care.

Another RPG I played extensively and didn't finish. Exact same scenario, I was under-leveled and just couldn't do it. I have the GBC cart for this but don't feel like finding one of our old SPs to try again. If it is ever re-made for DS or above, I'm there.

PopcornTreeCt
03-15-11, 12:42 PM
Open world games are the ones I have most fun beating. Have beaten a bunch of platformers and shooters but those can become repetitive. At least with open world games you can do the main missions until you get bored and then do side missions.

asianxcore
03-15-11, 10:51 PM
Knights of the Old Republic (I was new to RPG's and I didn't level my player right so the Final Boss was kicking my ass)

If you went with Sith the last boss is really easy.

You can pretty much select each Stasis Pod the boss tries to regenerate with and blow up each one before he can get to them. That way he only has 1 health bar. Forgot what power it was that you get with Sith that does it.

gmanca
03-15-11, 11:03 PM

That's the best part though! You just have to get hitman level with the uzi so you can use two at a time and have access to the Jet Pack; then it's just a matter of going to each territory and starting a gang war, which you then fight high up in the air where they can't reach you.

SunMonkey
03-16-11, 08:01 AM
I was about 80 hours into Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean and playing through the final series of boss encounters only to have my new Wii wipe my GC memory card. I guess that counts.

spainlinx0
03-16-11, 03:39 PM
That's the best part though! You just have to get hitman level with the uzi so you can use two at a time and have access to the Jet Pack; then it's just a matter of going to each territory and starting a gang war, which you then fight high up in the air where they can't reach you.

Don't you have to protect your teammates too? I remember something happening concerning that, but this was a long time ago.

I actually wouldn't mind going back and playing that. I thought it was so much more fun than GTA4.

story
03-16-11, 03:41 PM
The final boss in Metroid Prime was too much for me.

When I found out I needed to so sailing around looking for every piece of Triforce in that stupid ocean, I stopped playing Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.

And when I killed that stupid giant snake in Resident Evil and found out I was only like 25% through the game, I turned it off and never played it again. That game was too insanely difficult to be enjoyable.

gmanca
03-16-11, 06:22 PM
Don't you have to protect your teammates too? I remember something happening concerning that, but this was a long time ago.

I actually wouldn't mind going back and playing that. I thought it was so much more fun than GTA4.

Nope, you just have to make sure you don't leave the "war zone" or it resets and you have to find/kill another 3 gangmembers.

Seriously, it's great; and then you can make it riskier by flying down to street level or rocketing up to a ledge.

Osiris3657
03-16-11, 06:51 PM
Dead Rising, the end boss you fight on top of the tank. He put me in the choke hold every time...not only was that frustrating, but if you died you had to defeat him while he was inside his tank first before you get the chance to fight him hand to hand. I actually broke a controller over it.

fujishig
03-16-11, 07:09 PM
Dead Rising, the end boss you fight on top of the tank. He put me in the choke hold every time...not only was that frustrating, but if you died you had to defeat him while he was inside his tank first before you get the chance to fight him hand to hand. I actually broke a controller over it.

I don't remember that being too hard... but the mini chainsaws made most of the game pretty easy, so maybe taht's why.

NiCK Crush
03-16-11, 08:51 PM
I'm considering bailing on Donkey Kong Country Returns. Not so much because it's too difficult, but rather, I'm getting kinda bored with it.

JohnnyDaBull
03-18-11, 11:37 AM
No offense to the op, but that would be ridiculous to do that. Some games final boss have pissed me off enough to make me wanna quit though LOL.

Draven
03-18-11, 11:52 AM
No offense to the op, but that would be ridiculous to do that. Some games final boss have pissed me off enough to make me wanna quit though LOL.

Why is it ridiculous? I'm not interested in video game stories at all. I skip cutscenes whenever possible. If it takes me 10-15 or more tries to beat an end boss, with maybe 5 more minutes of game remaining after that, who cares if I quit? I got 99% of the enjoyment out of it and it's not like I make an announcement to the world when I beat a game. I'm the only one who knows or cares.

Groucho
03-18-11, 11:58 AM
Almost 90% of this forum is ridiculous!

BasementArt
03-18-11, 05:29 PM
Yes, Ninja Gaiden 2 for the 360. I made it to the final boss, but all my potions were not enough to get though it. I beat the wizard guy, but couldn't get that monster with the eye (or whatever it was, it's been a while)

Kenshiro
03-18-11, 05:42 PM
COD 4.

The Epilogue level, 'Mile High Club' on Veteran.

I didn't quit playing the game, just backed it down to Hardened difficulty.

Never attempted it on Veteran since then, still need that achievement.

Goldberg74
03-18-11, 10:38 PM
Star Fox Adventures for the Gamecube. I got right to the end boss and couldn't get past the boss.

I'm also right at the end of Zach and Wiki for the Wii, same deal. I can get to the 3rd iteration of the final boss and no further!

Giantrobo
03-19-11, 12:51 AM
If you went with Sith the last boss is really easy.

You can pretty much select each Stasis Pod the boss tries to regenerate with and blow up each one before he can get to them. That way he only has 1 health bar. Forgot what power it was that you get with Sith that does it.

I think I did go Sith. But I blew it. Then the 360 came out and I couldn't carry over my save. Fuck you KOTOR. :lol: But I still love the game for showing me RPG's could be kinda fun.

Breakfast with Girls
03-20-11, 07:59 PM
I know this is lame, but I did that at the end of Beyond Good and Evil. I couldn't do the reversed controls on the last boss. After something like my twelfth attempt, I figured I felt as if I'd accomplished enough.I don't mean to make you feel bad, but I just played through this again on XBLA and beat the boss on my first try. :lol: I bet if you tried again you wouldn't have much trouble with it.

Breakfast with Girls
03-20-11, 08:21 PM
Star Fox Adventures for the Gamecube. I got right to the end boss and couldn't get past the boss.I <em>hated</em> that final boss battle. Andross, the giant, creepy monkey head in space. I can totally understand giving up on it; even if you do everything perfectly, it still takes 5 minutes, which is actually a really long time for a boss battle.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_l5xv4c19Og" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Groucho
03-20-11, 08:28 PM
Star Fox Adventures for the Gamecube. I got right to the end boss and couldn't get past the boss.Ooh...forgot that one. I gave up on that one too.

SteelgearX
03-20-11, 08:57 PM
quitters

Tarantino
03-21-11, 04:15 PM
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on NES. The level where you had to drive that fucking van around (pretty sure it was right after that godawful water level with the electric bacon).

More recently, I could not beat the boss on SFIV. Luckily it was my roommates game. I suck at fighting games, but couldnt beat that cheap bastard even on the easiest level.

Sweet Baby James
03-21-11, 08:38 PM
I just quit Killzone 2 because I couldn't survive on the second floor balcony.:(

clckworang
03-23-11, 03:34 PM
I can think of a couple games where I've done this, although usually not right at the end. It usually comes down to realizing that I haven't prepared myself as well as I should have. Two games come to mind.

Kid Icarus for the original Nintendo. I loved that game, but I could never completely get past it. I get stuck on a flying level toward the very end where things come shooting at you or something. I can't remember exactly, it has been a while. But the point is that my point in reaching there I'm weak and don't have the number of potions I need, so I keep dying without being able to beat the guy. Maybe I should look for a cheat and try to finish the VC version I have on the Wii ...

The other one is Resident Evil: Codename Veronica. It was my first RE game to try to play. I wasn't too familiar with the games, other than they were survival horror games. I hadn't really played any of those, either, so I didn't know any of the basic tenants. Anyway, I play through and start to get far when I reach a point where I have to beat some big baddies and all I've got left is a handful of bullets and my knife. I had never really encountered a game where it was so easy to run out of bullets and conserving was such a priority. Otherwise, I certainly would have killed those early zombies with my knife rather than wasting all my bullets. Argh! I realized if I had any chance of beating the game, I would have to start over from scratch, and I just wasn't willing to do that.

vballboy51
03-23-11, 03:36 PM
Metal Gear Solid 2. the robots that you were supposed to shot with rockets. wasn't going to happen.

printerati
03-23-11, 03:50 PM
Strider on the Genesis. I don't know how close it is to the end, but there is a point where you fight two previous bosses (the mechanical monkey and something else) at the same time, and I could only kill one of them before getting killed myself.

Come to think of it, I don't think I ever finished Sub-Terrania, either.

Cardiff Giant11
03-23-11, 09:13 PM
Bionic Commando Rearmed. The last level was so ridiculously hard I just gave up.

Almost gave up on the end of Killzone 2 as the end part is insanely hard but finally got past it.