Old 03-13-11, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,529 Posts
Breakout Kings -- "Collected" -- 3/13/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-03-06

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
A man who hunts women and tortures them escapes during a candlelight vigil outside prison, and the team learns that he has a woman captive in an unknown location.

Episode 2 of 13

Promo:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IlhoPsJ8qRI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Some news about Robert Knepper's guest appearance as T-Bag:

Spoiler:
According to Nick Santora's Twitter feed, T-Bag will only appear in 1 episode. March 20th "The Bag Man" The 4 episode arc rumors were false unfortunately.
Old 03-13-11, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Breakout Kings -- "Collected" -- 3/13/11

Originally Posted by DJariya
Some news about Robert Knepper's guest appearance as T-Bag:

Spoiler:
According to Nick Santora's Twitter feed, T-Bag will only appear in 1 episode. March 20th "The Bag Man" The 4 episode arc rumors were false unfortunately.
Old 03-13-11, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 596 Likes on 460 Posts

Well that blows. At least the pilot showed enough promise for the show to be enjoyable without him.

As for the promo, if the new girl is really gonna be like that, I hope she goes the way of the "wilderness man" in the pilot.
Old 03-13-11, 04:23 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts

i really liekd the first ep.
but, what happened to the girl in the premiere to have them switch to this new girl in 2nd?
Old 03-13-11, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by scott1598
i really liekd the first ep.
but, what happened to the girl in the premiere to have them switch to this new girl in 2nd?
The Pilot was shot for FOX and they passed on the show. Once A&E picked it up, the network dropped her character. Nicole Steinwedell briefly mentions it on her Twitter feed. http://twitter.com/nsteinwedell
Old 03-13-11, 04:44 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts

ahhh. seems like she isn't bitter and happy for the show which is nice.
Old 03-13-11, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well that sucks. I liked Philly. She seemed like an interesting character. The ad for tonight's episode makes the new chick seem some "great and exciting" character dreamed up by some idiot suits. (A real shame since Serinda Swan is actually nice eye candy.)

Hopefully it's just a really bad ad.

Last edited by RocShemp; 03-13-11 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-13-11, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I saw the pilot and it was horrible. I fell asleep and didnt care to see this. I planned on seeing it for Knepper but with the one ep thing I may just catch that one. Really, I hated Prison Break and had to stop halfway through as I couldnt stand another second. Knepper couldnt keep me watching
Old 03-13-11, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 157 Likes on 119 Posts

Was originally going to watch just for Swan but after seeing it last week I'm going to miss Philly.
Old 03-13-11, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did Ray say that they were considering putting Shea and Lloyd back in maximum security prison with doubled sentences because Philly had money put away and may have been planning an escape? How does that make any sense?

EDIT: I listened again during the repeat, and Ray said if she had made a move they'd be on their way back. I guess that just means that the program would have been shut down, not that they would have been blamed.

---

Opening Credits

I know there were some people that really hated on the Pilot, but I can't see why. I like the cast, think it's got an interesting premise, and good production value. There are some flaws, but not ones that would make me outright hate the show. Oh well, to each his own I guess.

Really enjoyed tonight's episode as well. It's nice to see that they didn't just abandon Philly, but gave a plausible reason as to why she was kicked off the team. I also like the way they're giving us bits and pieces of the characters' backgrounds with each episodes. They're doing a good job cultivating tension within the group; at times they're willing to trust one another, but at other times they're keeping each other at arm's length. I definitely think the cast's chemistry is the best thing about this show; they all play off each other very well.

Lloyd cracks me up; his lines and mannerisms are great. I like how Shae is always finding something to eat too. I wasn't sure about getting rid of Philly and replacing her with Erica, but I think that was a good call. Serinda Swan seems like a better actress and I like Erica's backstory/motivation more than a greedy con artist. They definitely did a bad job portraying Erica in the promos, so I'm glad to see I enjoyed the character.

Lloyd: "I have a deviated septum!"

Loved Charlie's speech to the guy there at the end.

One thing I think they should do moving forward is establish multi-episode arcs or some sort of recurring villain. While I get that the chances of capture go down drastically after the initial breakout, having some characters get away, only to reappear later would probably work well.

Really looking forward to seeing Knepper as T-Bag again next week.

Last edited by kstublen; 03-13-11 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-13-11, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kstublen
Did Ray say that they were considering putting Shea and Lloyd back in maximum security prison with doubled sentences because Philly had money put away and may have been planning an escape? How does that make any sense?
The deal is if one of them tries to run, they all get the same punishment
Old 03-13-11, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by NORML54601
The deal is if one of them tries to run, they all get the same punishment
Obviously that's not true. If it was, the guy from the first episode that concealed the knife and Philly planning an escape would have gotten them all punished.

I edited my post above. I think think the real explanation is that if Philly had managed to escape, the program would have been shut down and they'd have been sent back to maximum security, but I don't think they're sentences would have been doubled because of what someone else did independent of them.
Old 03-13-11, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Obviously that's not true. If it was, the guy from the first episode that concealed the knife and Philly planning an escape would have gotten them all punished.

I edited my post above. I think think the real explanation is that if Philly had managed to escape, the program would have been shut down and they'd have been sent back to maximum security, but I don't think they're sentences would have been doubled because of what someone else did independent of them.
Well then they've spent 10 - 15 minutes of show time explaining something that's not true. I don't write the shit, I just pay attention to what they're saying.

The guy in the pilot was caught stealing a knife, not escaping.
Old 03-13-11, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by NORML54601
Well then they've spent 10 - 15 minutes of show time explaining something that's not true. I don't write the shit, I just pay attention to what they're saying.

The guy in the pilot was caught stealing a knife, not escaping.
I just went back and listened to the intro from the Pilot, and you're right, Charlie said, "If any one of you tries to escape, then all of you go back to maximum security with sentences doubled." So I guess I was wrong.

But, I definitely think there is a little leeway with that. I mean, that guy hiding a knife wasn't just for his own protection; it seemed clear he was going to turn on them later and try to escape. And I think Ray even said Philly was planning to escape, and yet Shae and Lloyd weren't punished.

Last edited by kstublen; 03-13-11 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-13-11, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just went back and listened to the intro from the Pilot, and you're right, Charlie said, "If any one of you tries to escape, then all of you go back to maximum security with sentences doubled." So I guess I was wrong.

But, I definitely think there is a little leeway with that. I mean, that guy hiding a knife wasn't just for his own protection; it seemed clear he was going to turn on them later and try to escape. And I think Ray even said Philly was planning to escape, and yet Shae and Lloyd weren't punished.
Yeah, I figure if they get around to explaining the lack of continuity, it'll be attributed to the marshall's heart condition and having been benched for so long and not wanting to return to that.
Old 03-14-11, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk God

I thought tonight's episode was really good. I liked the case of the week with the Con escaping and him turning out to be some sick kidnapper of prostitutes. Considering this was the start of them producing the show on a cable budget, I thought they did a good job and didn't see much difference from the Pilot.

The explanation for Philly being dropped from the team did make sense. The last scene of the Pilot showed her checking out her overseas bank accounts. I would assume if she had stayed on the show, that would have been a lingering storyline about her possibly bolting the team at some point.

The promos introducing Erica seemed corny, but I think they did a good job transitioning her into the team.

I really like Charlie and Ray. Laz Alonso and Dom Lombardozzi have pretty good chemistry as partners. I heard Ray said that he wanted this project to succeed so he can get his badge back. I'm guessing that Ray is/was a dirty former cop or U.S. Marshall?
Old 03-14-11, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Opening Credits

I wasn't sure about getting rid of Philly and replacing her with Erica, but I think that was a good call. Serinda Swan seems like a better actress and I like Erica's backstory/motivation more than a greedy con artist. They definitely did a bad job portraying Erica in the promos, so I'm glad to see I enjoyed the character.
The Opening credits were very cool.

And I agree that Serinda Swan's character has a much more interesting back story than a former beauty queen turned Con artist.
Old 03-14-11, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really like Charlie and Ray. Laz Alonso and Dom Lombardozzi have pretty good chemistry as partners. I heard Ray said that he wanted this project to succeed so he can get his badge back. I'm guessing that Ray is/was a dirty former cop or U.S. Marshall?
It was addressed in the pilot, Ray stole 8 grand to get his daughter a car (from a 1m + bust) cause her step father was going to buy it for her.
Old 03-14-11, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I heard Ray said that he wanted this project to succeed so he can get his badge back. I'm guessing that Ray is/was a dirty former cop or U.S. Marshall?
They addressed this in the Pilot. Ray, a former Marshall, was arrested for taking some confiscated money during a drug bust. He said he only took enough to buy his daughter a used car so her stepfather wouldn't be the one to give it to her, and no more. He's living in a halfway house now and is on probation, if I remember correctly.

EDIT: Looks like NORML54601 beat me to it.
Old 03-14-11, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk God

^^ Thanks Guys
Old 03-14-11, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm really enjoying this so far. The cast works well together and it has a nice style going for it. Their biggest hurdle will be having to deal with a new "big bad" breaking out of prison and getting caught every episode. They will need to find ways to change that up or else it will get stale really fast. In fact, they could do whole episodes just on the people on the team and explore their backgrounds and prison life every now and then. Also, some muti-episode arcs would help too.

While it's weird that they booted prison girl from the pilot, she didn't stick around long enough for me to care. The new girl also has a more interesting background that could open doors for having some bad guys from her past come into play.

Finally, while Jimmi Simpson's character reminds me of the guy from Criminal Minds, he's a lot of fun to watch.
Old 03-14-11, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Eric D.
While it's weird that they booted prison girl from the pilot, she didn't stick around long enough for me to care. The new girl also has a more interesting background that could open doors for having some bad guys from her past come into play.
I noticed that as well. Ray said that there were 6 people involved in Erica's father's death, and that she killed five of them. I wouldn't be the least surprised if the 6th guy turned up later on as an escapee.
Old 03-14-11, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The promos introducing Erica seemed corny, but I think they did a good job transitioning her into the team.
Yeah, she was much better in the actual episode than what the promos would suggest. I actually like her character so far.

I'm hoping they don't capture T-Bag next week so that he can be a recurring antagonist for the team.
Old 03-14-11, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There's hardly anything that does make sense on this show, so it's fitting.

Loved Charlie's speech to the guy there at the end.
That was some of the worst acting I have ever seen.

I gave it one more episode, but that's it for me.
Old 03-14-11, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really don't get why people have it out for this show. I mean, it's not perfect, but it's certainly entertaining. I'm curious to see what other shows people like that this one is so unbearably awful.

Also, if you watched and enjoyed Prison Break, I can't imagine not sticking it out at least another week for T-Bag.

But whatever, if you don't enjoy it, that's fine. I'll keep tuning in.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.