DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Help with my Pioneer DVD Player Model DV-120K-K

John Pannozzi
03-12-11, 06:14 PM
Okay, let me backtrack. Back around 2009 (or maybe early 2010), I purchased the Pioneer DVD Player Model DV-120K-K. When I first got it, it could play DVDs from all regions, and was both NTSC and PAL compatible. But then, randomly during July of 2010, all of sudden, it could only play Region 0 DVDs, and its been that way ever since. My friend Simon tried to fix the problem, but to no avail. I've gone months now with replacing it or anything. Could someone please tell what may have caused the player to randomly stop being region-free, and how I might be able to fix it? Or recommend another region-free, NTSC/PAL compatible DVD player that is far less likely to have this problem (and I'm kinda wearing buying anymore players made by Pioneer right now, but I don't really know if their products have a history of these sorts of problems)?

gmanca
03-12-11, 06:28 PM
Do you know what firmware you have? Also, look at the back of the DVD player for a manufacturing date, that will help to figure out if there's an upgrade that is needed. The 220VK-K is a sister model and there were firmware updates that solved the region free issue.

John Pannozzi
03-12-11, 06:46 PM
Do you know what firmware you have? Also, look at the back of the DVD player for a manufacturing date, that will help to figure out if there's an upgrade that is needed. The 220VK-K is a sister model and there were firmware updates that solved the region free issue.

It mentions the year 2008 on the back (as in something (C) something -2008), if that helps.

gmanca
03-12-11, 07:37 PM
Yeah, that sounds like it needs a firmware update if you haven't done one. I'm not finding any info from the US site so you'll have to get more info on it from the Pioneer website of the country you purchased it from.

John Pannozzi
03-21-11, 06:08 PM
I purchased it from the American Amazon site, but I think my player was meant for the Hong Kong market.