Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Brandsforless Thread

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Brandsforless Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-00, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you look on the brandsforless thread on the bargain forum, there is also a link for $29/$79 at a mall called 7online.
I have written to them and they say that International customers are welcome, plus they also have an Express.com link.
Old 06-26-00, 11:37 AM
Cool New Member

Given the new Express/BFL relationship, I'm trying to come up with the best deal for international buyers.

The 'problem' with Express, compared to Reel is that (as I understand it)you have to pay the full $8 per DVD if you want them to ship individually(e.g if you're pre-ordering a number of DVD's released over a number of weeks/months). Therefore the $25/100 are compromised as large (pre)orders over $100 will either result in shipping costs over the $20 limit, or you have them shipped all together and therefore expect big customs/vat duties.

I wonder if the best deal is just to go for free shipping on small orders. Am I missing something?

Jeremy
Old 06-26-00, 12:36 PM

I think you're right, small orders are best. I personally would not order more than 2 discs in the same shipment otherwise customs will almost certainly sting you. Maybe you could order 4 discs to come in 2 different shipments - $9.90 per shipment. That would still get you a full BFL free shipping rebate, and as each package would have a value of say, £20-£24, you will most probably be okay.
This is getting difficult, damn reel.com!!!
Old 06-26-00, 03:05 PM
Cool New Member

I suppose we've all become a bit greedy over the past year. I made good use of BFL's $25/50, $29/79 and Reel $10 coupons, and was able to get disks to the UK for about £6-£7. Also despite ordering almost 40 disks (mostly pre-order's), I NEVER got stung by customs (my biggest package was three disks). I remember someone saying that Reel despatched from "European Hubs", but I asked a CSR and she said that this was not the case, it was the shipper's return address only.
Anyway, I've spoke to an Express CSR today, and Henry you're right, the best deal is to use BFL for free-shipping only and avoid the other discounts. Go for small orders (>$25). Either way it'll still be cheaper than the European sites.

What are your UK customs experiences, ever been stung?
Old 06-27-00, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As per forum rules, all BFL discussion should be in Brands For Less - The One & Only Thread #13 Mk 2 (now that there is one again!), however I have to say that I think you’re missing the point slightly. Customs don’t check/charge every package, there’s a 50% chance it will get through unscathed and if it does you’ll get the rebate and be better off. Even if your order does incur a charge (usually 25-30% of your order value) the BFL rebate will cover most if not all of the customs charge so you may as well use it rather than not. By all means place small orders at express when there are no rebates available but it’s worth bearing in mind that even two $14.99 titles will take you over the £18 limit, so you’re just as likely to get charged for this as you are a large order. I’ve had packages from CDNow containing 3 CDs valued at $36 and been charged duty, so I think it’s important not to confuse the physical size of an order with it’s likelihood of attracting the attention of UK customs.

««««««««««««»»»»»»»»»»»»»
More human, than Human
Old 06-27-00, 07:35 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks for the info Jonathan, I suppose you're right and it's worth a gamble, although if its pre-orders then you have to wait until the last one's released before you receive one. However, I still cant help feeling that your more likely to be stopped with an order containing five or six DVD's, compared to just two or three. My experience was that I was never hit with Reel shipments and I always kept the orders to three or under.

As far as the "only one BFL thread rule", given we are in a different forum, and
dealing with specific international issues that are irrelevant to the majority of Bargain Forum readers, can we not discuss as a separate thread?

Cheers
Jeremy H
Old 06-27-00, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jeremy, you were never charged for Reel shipments because as far as UK customs were concerned they originated inside the EC, so no duty. I had, I think, 10 in one package once and regularly four at a time. Amazon are the only other e-tailer now who ships via a European distributor, worth remembering for box sets.

As to "the one & only", it‘s simply because I don’t want to abuse the good will of Geoff who doesn’t make a cent off BFL purchases so a proliferation of threads would be unfair to him as this board is his "work" (and hobby I guess) so it’s only fair he generates revenue by it.

However I suppose if this thread is still open that means Geoff is OK with it?

More human, than Human
Old 06-28-00, 06:38 AM
Cool New Member

If you are going to order 3 or more dvds try giftwrapping it and put a happy birthday message. Customs won't charge any duties or taxes, it will cost you a bit more but not more than you will pay for tax or duties.
Old 06-28-00, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

FerrariRed UK customs are wise to this, and in some cases, as the correct price is not included, will apply an incorrect (ie high) value to the package and charge duty and VAT on that. I wish it were as simple as giftwrapping, but customs are just about intelligent enough to see through this.

More human, than Human
Old 06-28-00, 08:52 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just figure this:
$80 shipment (say 4 DVD's)
$29- Rebate
---
$51

Add:
17,5% VAT x $80 = $14

$65 Total

Let's do this seperate now:
Two times:
$40 shipment (say 2 DVD's)
---
$80

Am I crazy or do you save $15 ANYWAY with one shipment plus the chance that you're not caught!

Old 06-28-00, 12:20 PM
Cool New Member

exm, I don't think you're right with your calculations, but your assumption to "go for it and hope you don't caught by customs" probably IS right.

My calculations are:
$80 shipment (say 4 DVD's)
$29- Rebate
$16 Shipping (Remember the $29/79 isnt BFL and doesnt have free shipping)
---
$67
Add:
17,5% VAT x $96 (tot value INCLUDING SHIPPING) = $16.80
PLUS DUTY (If UK) £££?????

=$83.80 Total (plus relevant DUTY charge)

Let's do this separate now:
Two times:

$40 shipment (say 2 DVD's)
Free Shipping x 2
---
$80

i.e. its close!! (especially in UK if you include DUTY), best hope you’re not caught! If you go for the BFL $25 off $100 (last one just expired) then you can combine with Free shipping, making it look better.

Jez
Old 06-29-00, 09:31 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You're right: I forgot about the fact that free shipping isn't possible. Althoug shipping isn't $16 but $13.50 so that makes it almost the same according to your calculations. Guess the best deal is to wait for another BFL $xx off $80+ deal...

[This message has been edited by exm (edited June 29, 2000).]
Old 06-29-00, 08:22 PM
Cool New Member

A few points worth noting:

Import Duty (at the rate of 3.5% for DVDs) is added to the total value of the goods (including all shipping costs). To this total VAT (17.5%) is then added Shipping costs are not included in the total for duty calculations if the goods are marked as a private gift.

Also the £18 threshold over which customs charges are applied DOES include shipping costs

And don't forget the post office. They will add their own admin fee in all cases where customes charges are collected

It gets worse. DVD Express charge shipping based on the number of "discs" in a package and not the number of DVD titles. So the X-Files season two set will be charged as 7 discs (Amazom charge per DVD title).

All things considered, thats a big
Old 06-30-00, 06:25 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

hhmmm... things are a bit different in The Netherlands: we never have post office costs and tax is always 17,5% total. Sucks to be in the UK! (just kiddin')

Guess Amazon is still the way to go (with enough Firstlook/Jaboom GC)
Old 06-30-00, 07:27 AM
Cool New Member

Haggis, useful info thanks, have you been caught much? Your info on multi-disk sets is interesting, although an Express CSR told me that the Ultimate Toy Box (3-disks) only counts as a single.

Also can you say a package is a "gift" without paying the wrapping fee, or have people had good experiences (e.g. FerrariRed) with Customs "overlooking" wrapped gifts?

exm, your right about customs costs, in Holland you don't seem to have to pay the same PENALTY as us in UK

Jeremy H
Old 06-30-00, 10:09 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think that Express treats box sets not as 1 DVD but as 'each DVD in a boxset is a seperate'. Sort of makes sense. I won't be surprise if Toy Story will be a dual side disc: one movie on each side.

As far as gifts are concerned: most of the time when you send something as a gift the total value is still printed on the box and whether the DVD's are wrapped or not, customs will still charge you.
Old 06-30-00, 11:55 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

New BFL deal!
amount, rebates:
$49 to $68.99, $10 $69 to $88.99, $15
$89 or more, $20

Good until July 4th!
http://www.brandsforless.com/forms/bfljuly4jump/

[This message has been edited by exm (edited June 30, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by exm (edited June 30, 2000).]
Old 06-30-00, 12:41 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by exm:
Sucks to be in the UK! (just kiddin')
<HR>

Don't kid about it - It really does suck to be in Rip-off Britain!

------------
Welshlad

[This message has been edited by Welshlad (edited June 30, 2000).]
Old 06-30-00, 09:34 PM
Cool New Member

quote:<HR>Originally posted by exm:
I think that Express treats box sets not as 1 DVD but as 'each DVD in a boxset is a seperate'. Sort of makes sense. I won't be surprise if Toy Story will be a dual side disc: one movie on each side.

As far as gifts are concerned: most of the time when you send something as a gift the total value is still printed on the box and whether the DVD's are wrapped or not, customs will still charge you.
<HR>

For customs purpose, for an item to be classed as a gift it must be sent from one private individual to another. Having a retailer mark it as a gift does not count. Gifts must also be of an occasional nature. If you are receiving regular DVD packages then they can start to charge you, or even seize the goods if they need to make "further enquiries". Note also that having a package send as a gift is not a free for all. It only raises the threshold to about £36. (checkout http://www.hmce.gov.uk/notices/143.htm for more info on customs charges/regulations)

It gets worse...technically its a criminal offence to be in possession of goods on which the proper duty has not been paid. Section 170 of the Customs & Excise Management Act 1979:
s.170
(1) ...if any person
(a) knowingly acquires possession of any of the following goods, that is to say
(ii) goods which are chargeable with a duty which has not been paid;

So, if they catch on that you have been having stuff sent as gifts to dodge taxes then you might be getting a knock on the door at 3am

Oh, and Jeremy, the answer to your question is yes
Old 06-30-00, 09:36 PM
Cool New Member

I'm a happy person really