Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Defenders -- Season/Series? Finale -- "Morelli v. Kaczmarek" -- 3/11/11

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Do you want a 2nd season of The Defenders?
Yes, Loved the show. Please bring it back!
85.19%
No, Get rid of it. Free up a timeslot for something more original than another lawyer show.
0%
Never seen it or Had any interest, Hate Lawyer shows
14.81%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-11, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,529 Posts

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-10-10

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
The law firm of Morelli & Kaczmarek is no more when Nick and Pete temporarily dissolve their partnership so they can both represent a husband and wife accused of murdering a yoga instructor.

Episode 18 of 18

Last episode of the season and possibly forever.

I know this show wasn't popular here at all as most procedurals, but I've kept up with it periodically and found it to have very likeable characters. This could be the last episode ever. Even though the total viewership is decent, it's 18-49 demographic numbers stink (under 2.0) and the show skews really old. If your a fan comment away later tonight.

Promo:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lym3Lnkm93A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-11-11, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 598 Likes on 483 Posts
Re: The Defenders -- Season/Series? Finale -- "Morelli v. Kaczmarek" -- 3/11/11

Fuck CBS if it's cancelled. Best new broadcast show of this lame season.
Old 03-11-11, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
x2
Old 03-11-11, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

I've really enjoyed the season and will be bummed if it's cancelled.
Old 03-11-11, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Count me as a fan. I really like this show. The banter between Belushi and O'Connell makes the show work, and work well. While I have no allusions that it is going to win anybody any emmys, it is a fun hour each week.
Old 03-11-11, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,352 Likes on 917 Posts

I like it, too.

Hard to believe they would cancel it when it was getting relatively good numbers on Friday nights.
Old 03-11-11, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn it if show goes away. This is Belushi's finest work ever. His brother would've been so proud of him.
Old 03-11-11, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gunde
I've really enjoyed the season and will be bummed if it's cancelled.
Agree 100% Belushi and O'Connell have a very good chemistry together. Also, I haven't seen many shows that show prosecutors in the negative light that this show does which is a plus for me.
Old 03-11-11, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I will definitely miss the series as well, it's evolved into a very good little show. The dynamic between the leads is rare in TV right now...

Originally Posted by Deftones
I like it, too.

Hard to believe they would cancel it when it was getting relatively good numbers on Friday nights.
As much as I'm going to hate to see the show go, you can't really fault CBS, those "Relatively good numbers" are the worst ratings of ANY series on CBS...
Old 03-11-11, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,352 Likes on 917 Posts

it's their own fault. They were in the 10 million range when it was on Wednesday nights. once it moved to Friday, it was holding between about 8.5 million and 9.5 million. not too shabby for a "dead" night of TV.
Old 03-12-11, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I normally stay away from most procedural type shows, but both my wife and I really like the defenders. Again, mainly for the character interactions - not so much for the actual trials.

I don't quite understand how studios decide which shows to keep - Friday night is a death slot, but surely SOMETHING gets to stay there for more than a season.

It really annoys me since so many of the other shows I've been watching for multiple seasons have gone down hill such that I may not continue watching them.

Michael
Old 03-12-11, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Love the show although I am a couple of episodes behind due to my busy schedule. I would love to have a second season to look forward to next fall.
Old 03-12-11, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Another fun episode. Well, if they're done, they went out in style with Frank Jr.

And again, fuck you, CBS, if you decide to cancel this. If they cancel this, I refuse to watch any new broadcast network programming next season on any network.
Old 03-12-11, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,529 Posts

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...s-steady/85496

9.03M viewers and 1.5 in the 18-49 demos. Won the timeslot in total viewers (which doesn't mean shit) and finished 2nd in the 18-49 demos.

It's up to the CBS brass now. Although Red Dog probably thinks the network purposely tried to sabotage this show.
Old 03-12-11, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk God

I don't know what to think. I don't think there's much rhyme or reason to the decisions of network suits. I mean if it's simply about ratings, then why have these suits?...a computer could probably do just as good a job scheduling and would be far cheaper.

I realize 18-49 is the magic demographic, but I've never seen an adequate explanation why when it's those over 40 who have the most disposable income and are probably more likely to be home in front of a tv on any given night.

Last edited by Red Dog; 03-12-11 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-12-11, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know what to think. I don't think there's much rhyme or reason to the decisions of network suits. I mean if it's simply about ratings, then why have these suits?...a computer could probably do just as good a job scheduling and would be far cheaper.

I realize 18-49 is the magic demographic, but I've never seen an adequate explanation why when it's those over 40 who have the most disposable income and are probably more likely to be home in front of a tv on any given night.
1) Because they're home every night, they're not hard to target. The lower 2/3 of the 18-49 demo is harder to target, so the reward for getting them in front of the ads is greater.
2) They have lots of money, but their buying patterns are less susceptible to change. They're sticks in the mud who won't try something new as easily.
3) Because they are home more often than not, they're not prime eyeballs for things like movie ads (which is more an issue for some nights/programs than others -- I doubt there are many movie ads on Friday night, but there are tons on Thursday night).
4) They tend not to be the trend setters. They might get an iPhone...after their kids get one and show them how to use it.

Mind you, I am closer than I'd like to admit to 40...
Old 03-12-11, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah. I've seen all those explanations before. I don't buy it, but then I think the whole concept of marketing (at least from a tv commercial perspective) is bullshit. As for sticks in the mud, I'm talking 40-60. Not senior citizens (although senior citizens generally have the highest net worth, but maybe not income).
Old 03-12-11, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hadn't watched this show before, but I just caught a couple of episodes online and really liked it. Wish I'd been watching it all along.

On a sidenote, I'd like to hire whoever dresses Jim Belushi on this show. He's - shall we say - on the portly side, but he looks super-sharp on the show.

Yeah. I've seen all those explanations before. I don't buy it, but then I think the whole concept of marketing (at least from a tv commercial perspective) is bullshit. As for sticks in the mud, I'm talking 40-60. Not senior citizens (although senior citizens generally have the highest net worth, but maybe not income).
The key demo is 18-49, so the "sticks in the mud" are 50+. By that age people's brand loyalty & shopping habits are pretty much stuck in stone, hence they're only valuable for niche products (like prescription drugs - man, just watch the evening news; that's pretty much all they advertise).
Old 03-12-11, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk God

I know the key demo is 18-49: I already said that earlier. As for your explanation, again, nothing I haven't heard before. I don't buy it. At least as a difference between 50-somethings and 20-somethings. I mean look at all the beer commercials. Who buys beer based off a commercial? You can't taste a commercial. If you're in college (magic demographic), you're buying the cheapest keg or case you can.
Old 03-12-11, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know the key demo is 18-49: I already said that earlier. As for your explanation, again, nothing I haven't heard before. I don't buy it. At least as a difference between 50-somethings and 20-somethings. I mean look at all the beer commercials. Who buys beer based off a commercial? You can't taste a commercial. If you're in college (magic demographic), you're buying the cheapest keg or case you can.
There must be some studies behind these ad strategies (unless marketing folks are just full of shit, which is certainly possible ).

Yeah, you're not going to buy a certain brand of beer based on one commercial, but the cumulative effect can affect people. I'll bet if you did a taste test for beer/soda/cereal, etc., the cheaper & generic stuff would do just fine compared to the "name" stuff. But plenty of people still pay more for the name stuff. Marketing at work I guess.
Old 03-12-11, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Now cereal I can understand because that's targeted toward kids and kids will nag nag nag mommy to buy a cereal based on a colorful commercial. I believe marketing toward children (who aren't money conscious) is extremely effective.
Old 03-13-11, 04:03 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I work in advertising (media planning, 15+ years) - you've thrown alot of different things together, so I'll see if I can cover it a little:

- Each client/product(s) has it's own demo, which generally includes sex, age, and possibly other qualifiers like household income, geography, etc. It depends on the product. That demo acts as a parameter for what kind of media/programming to plan for, in order to reach the largest number of that target audience.

For example, if my target is W25-54, it doesn't mean that I don't care about women 24 or younger or W55+ buying my product. It just means that my product is mostly purchased by W25-54 (or based on my marketing goals, to perhaps bring awareness of my product to them) and I will try to buy shows/magazines ads/etc. that can reach a large number of that target. For example, having a W25-54 demo might mean I might buy a magazine ad in Cosmo, rather than say, AARP.

I've never planned for a demo like M18-64. It's just waaaaay too broad of a demo, an it'll just mean that my media plan will be scattershot and rather directionless (ratings is just one part of the equation; frequency is also a part). No matter how large the company, none of them could afford to just target "everyone" year-round.

- I can't speak for the TV people side of things, but I think A18-49 is "key" mainly because alot of advertiser demos generally fall into that range. I've worked on various clients that targeted M18-49, W25-54, etc. A18-49 just happens to cover the broadest amount of people targeted by advertisers.

- buying beer based off a commercial: please note that advertising is about generating awareness. As for whether awareness = sales, it's a tough metric. There's so many things (the ad itself, where the ad is seen, the nature/price of the product itself, competitors, etc) - it's not something that is exact. Still alot of work being done on metrics around that.
Old 03-17-11, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

After the positive reviews here I checked this show out. It's pretty good. Light procedural, good energy, likeable leads, plenty of eye candy. The plots aren't that great. They play faster and looser with the law than most legal procedurals, either to the benefit or detriment of the leads, depending on what the plot requires. One thing I noticed is that it's basically Belushi's show. Not really a bad thing as he does a great job, but I wouldn't mind seeing O'Connell get a little more screen time.
Old 03-17-11, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Agreed. If ABC can keep According To Jim for 8 seasons then this one should be allowed to stick around awhile.