Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Universal audio player - Abandon?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 03-10-11, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it even worth it for me to buy one? A player that plays, BD, DVD, DVD-A, and SACD? I have about 15 discs combined between DVDA and SACD. It seems the formats are dead. I really love the Flaming Lips DVD-A and the Zappa DVD-As but if I'm never going to buy them again, is it worth it or should I abandon the formats?

From what I can tell there are only two players. Oppo and Denon. Both at a premium. If I buy a Sony BD player, I can at least salvage my SACDs.

I have a universal Pioneer player but it's not HDMI and my new receiver doesn't have analog inputs. I suppose I can continue to listen to the DVDA through this setup.

It'd be nice if these BD players just supported DVD-A. Is it really that much more circuitry?
Old 03-10-11, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Universal audio player - Abandon?

I imagine it has more to do with the royalties that would have to be paid than it does the electronics. They're willing to do it for DVD movies because that's a common use of the players, DVD-A and SACD not so much. Sony even took out SACD from the PS3 before too long, and they were the company behind the format in the first place.

I guess all you can do is hold out hope that the albums will be released on BD.
Old 03-11-11, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sony still puts SACD support on their BD players. Just not the cheapo ones. I could buy one of those and still have Dark Side of the Moon in 5.1.

I suppose I could cut my losses and sell what I have. It's a shame. Multi-channel music was very interesting during it's short life. (5.1 specifically.)
Old 03-11-11, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

You can still listen to your DVD-A's multichannel soundracks in lossy Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1 on any DVD/BD player. Sure it's not uncompressesd but it still sounds a lot better than a redbook CD. I think all DVD-A's carried one or the other. At least all the ones I have. The format was so finicky that's the only way I've been able to listen to some of my titles (despite having three DVD-A capable players at one point).
Old 03-14-11, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Let me try that tonight. I'm really interested in mainly the surround mixes. I can just buy a higher end Sony BD player then that has SACD support and problem solved.
Old 03-14-11, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love SACD (and DVD-A) and, of course, this had to be the one format Sony releases that they give up without a fight. Every other format of theirs and they'll go on for years pushing it.
Old 03-14-11, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 135 Likes on 89 Posts

If you spring for a modified Oppo, it has the added benefit of being region free for both DVD and Blu-Ray, if you're into that sort of thing.
Old 03-14-11, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Pizza
I love SACD (and DVD-A) and, of course, this had to be the one format Sony releases that they give up without a fight. Every other format of theirs and they'll go on for years pushing it.
Even the discs that were hybrid (like the Bob Dylan discs) are now back to just being regular CDs.
Old 03-14-11, 04:52 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not worth it unless it also plays vinyl, 8-track, cassette, reel to reel, and laserdisc.

I too love multi-channel/lossless audio, which is why I'm holding on to my 60 GB PS3 for dear life.
Old 03-14-11, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by printerati
If you spring for a modified Oppo, it has the added benefit of being region free for both DVD and Blu-Ray, if you're into that sort of thing.
Agreed, or better yet buy a regular Oppo and make the mod yourself for $40.
Old 03-15-11, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I am physically unable to spend $500 on a BD player. $400 for the Denon was a stretch.

I've decided to buy one of the new Sony models that play SACD and use the $200 savings for something else.
Old 03-15-11, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
I am physically unable to spend $500 on a BD player. $400 for the Denon was a stretch.

I've decided to buy one of the new Sony models that play SACD and use the $200 savings for something else.
I'm ordering the Oppo pretty soon; I paid $500 for my first DVD player in 1998, and that was a low-end player. I have no problem paying that much nearly 13 years later for a player as loaded as the Oppo.
Old 03-16-11, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

$300 doesn't seem worth it to me just to play the 7 or 8 DVD-A discs I own. Now if the medium was still alive and vibrant, I'd definitely do it.