Reload this Page >

American Idol, Top 13, March 9/10

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-09-11, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Top 13 theme is… "Your Personal Idol". In other words, a free-for-all which is good at this stage, let them sing in their genre.

The show was recorded on Tuesday and will be edited so that it fits into Wednesday's two-hour time slot.

Wednesday: Two hour performance show (8/7c)
Thursday: One hour results show (8/7c) -- one singer is voted off

Here’s the song list with performance order.

Spoiler:
1. Lauren Alaina – Any Man of Mine (Shania Twain)
2. Casey Abrams – With A Little Help From My Friends (Joe Cocker)
3. Ashton Jones – When You Tell Me That You Love Me (Diana Ross)
4. Paul McDonald – Come Pick Me Up (Ryan Adams)
5. Pia Toscano – All By Myself (Celine Dion)
6. James Durbin – Maybe I’m Amazed (Paul McCartney)
7. Haley Reinhart – Blue (LeAnn Rimes)
8. Jacob Lusk – I Believe I Can Fly (R. Kelly) – With Gospel Singers!
9. Thia Megia – Smile (Michael Jackson)
10. Stefano Langone – Lately (Stevie Wonder)
11. Karen Rodriguez – I Could Fall In Love (Selena)
12. Scotty McCreery – The River (Garth Brooks)
13. Naima Adedapo – Umbrella (Rihanna)

Here are some comments on the performances from somebody in the audience:

Spoiler:
The GROUP Song was a Michael Jackson tune
The judges seemed to give best comments to james casey scott stefano pia. First two highest i think. No simon to tell the truth on the bad
Stefano and james were damcing and high fiving watching the playback at end. Total bffs <3
Naima rapped , danced, reggaed umbrella in pimp spot. Voice not up to par with perormance
The audience boo’d at whatever Steven said about Thia
Durbin killed mccartney baby im amazed. Killed!
Pia best female celine all by myself
Casey joe cocker little help from my friends amazing
Naima pimp rhianna umbrella. Great performer. Not so much singer
Scotty garth river brought house down
Stefano stevie lately. Amazing!!
Karen selena if i fall in love. No one did
Thia mj smile . Bombed
Lusk jkelly i can fly. Hallelujah with gospel singers
Ashton diana ross when u tell me . Not good . S10 syesha
Paul mcd ryan adams come ? Me . Yuk.
Haley leann rimes blue? With yodeling!
Alaina shania any man of mine. Great vboice. Opened show
Still can’t get over james durbin. Just a total wow moment. Right now its him vs casey vs scotty to win. Pia for the girls. Stefano too

Old 03-09-11, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 179 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: American Idol, Top 13, March 9/10

Ugh. About those song selections ...
Spoiler:
... they don't do anything to make me want to watch this. Pretty much ballads and/or "inspirational" songs across the board. Many of which are already karaoke/AI standards. "All By Myself", Beatles (by way of Joe Cocker), more Stevie Wonder, "I Believe I Can Fly"?!? With a gospel choir, no less?

Last edited by brainee; 03-09-11 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-09-11, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

^brainee, your observation on the song list is a spoiler in and of itself. At least spoilerize your second sentence please.

Edit: Thanks!

Not sure if this was mentioned last week but a van was donated to Chris Medina's fiancée.

Ousted ‘Idol’ Chris Medina gets $45K van free for injured fiancee

Oak Forest’s Chris Medina may have been booted from “American Idol,” but his newfound celebrity continues to come to the aid of his brain-injured fiancée — this time in the form of a new wheelchair-friendly van.

While Medina did not make the final cut, judge Jennifer Lopez was so moved by his story that she cried about having to let him go on the Feb. 23 episode. In October 2009, Medina’s fiancée, Juliana Ramos, suffered a traumatic brain injury when her car hydroplaned on a wet road and slammed into a pole.

BraunAbility and MobilityWorks are donating to the family a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan outfitted with an automated ramp, which will enable Ramos to be wheeled right into the van and buckled up.

Medina, Ramos and her family will be presented with the vehicle Wednesday at the Villa Park MobilityWorks location. At retail, the van would cost upward of $45,000.

BraunAbility manufactures the vans while MobilityWorks is a chain of dealers that sell wheelchair-accessible vehicles.

Medina had already been a huge force in Ramos’ care, teaming up with her mother, Janet Barnes, to help Ramos in her day-to-day life, from brushing her teeth to helping with her stretches, critical to her recovery. But his “American Idol” jaunt has given a little boost to the family, bringing attention to Ramos’ struggle.

She has been in a wheelchair since the accident and needs a lot of physical therapy.

Trips to therapy have been made in the family’s sedan or non-wheelchair-accessible van, meaning Ramos has to be lifted out of her chair and her chair loaded separately, or requiring two people to lift her and her chair into the van.

Last edited by rabbit77; 03-09-11 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-09-11, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 179 Likes on 124 Posts

I hate when contestants seem to get favored treatment because of a sob story (regardless of actual talent). But now that Medina is off the show, I don't mind this. Providing for someone like his fiance is an enormous burden. Power to him if he's able to use the AI exposure (which won't last long, even for winners of the show) to make it easier.
Old 03-09-11, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Paul McDonald is so utterly horrible in every way imaginable. What are these judges hearing that I'm not?
Old 03-09-11, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not having seen the show yet, I don't mind if the black guy or the Glambert guy get the boot.
Old 03-09-11, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Watching on DVR - I think Durbin's gonna be around a while.
Old 03-09-11, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Casey was great. But was he better than this?

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mzj9z8QDTfU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-09-11, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard
Paul McDonald is so utterly horrible in every way imaginable. What are these judges hearing that I'm not?
I laughed at Ryan's impression of him
Old 03-09-11, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kind of a boring night. My favorites were: Casey Abrams, Lauren Aliaina, and Pia Toscano.

My prediction for who will go home: Naima Adedapo, simply because people will be confused over which number to call. And her singing wasn't that good.
Old 03-09-11, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Top 13:

Lauren Alaina - rather forgettable song choice, but competently sung, but the energy level was rather subdued.

Casey - is hard to watch when he performs, but I suspect America will eat up what he's serving. The vocals are overly-exaggerated, and I'm just not feeling it for Casey.

Ashthon - her vocals sounded blown out, not enjoyable vocal stylings. DOA.

Paul - seriously, America, what were you thinking putting Punch-Drunk Paul into the competition? Another contestant I can't watch perform, and the vocals are simply so-so.

Pia - Ballsy choice, taking on Celine, not quite sure she hit the bullseye, plus, I am not enamored with how she slows down the beginnings to the songs she sings, the flow is a bit halting at times, so it just doesn't flow well for me.

James - was actually impressed how he stayed in such a high key throughout most of the song, not a bad start for James, toned down on the vocal pyrotechnics, but still delivered a good performance.

Haley - Eh, it was okay, but not better than Leanne Rimes version, nor put any personal spin on it. The yodeling fell flat in spots, which is not good.

Jacob - too soon with the choir production, featured oversinging that's not quite enjoyable, lost the melody in the song. A near miss.

Thia -though she can get a little nasally, almost singing as if English is her second language, at least she did put a different spin on it, and didn't bore the audience.

Stefano - that was a really odd arrangement, tough to listen to at times, plus throwing in all the nasally Stevie Wonder pronounciations. Hrm...

Karen - continues to remind me of a beauty pageant contestant whose "talent" is singing, so she pretty much bored me to tears. America got it wrong last week when they put her in the top 5 girls.

Scotty - same old, same old. At least he's consistent. He doesn't sing masculinely, though, got some weird swishy swayage going on.

Naima - it almost felt like an acapella performance, even with the music in tow. Odd performance for my tastes.

----

My Bottom 3:
Paul
Ashthon
Karen
Old 03-10-11, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The judges need to be tougher on the contestants. Too bad Simon isn't around.

Trying to be positive, I think Pia performed the best this week. I still think Thia has that great tone that few of the kids ever have but the second half of "Smile" wasn't as good. One of the producers must have talked her into doing it that way.

Trying to be not too negative, I didn't get the love for Stefano. It didn't sound good at all.
Old 03-10-11, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by big whoppa

Trying to be not too negative, I didn't get the love for Stefano. It didn't sound good at all.
He'd be my choice to go tonight.
Old 03-10-11, 09:41 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lauren A could have done better with that choice. It fits her style like a glove but it didn't have the same energy she had last week.

I like Casey, but is he Taylor Hicks 2.0?

Ashton is adorable but has been a bit disappointing in these performance rounds. She sounded fantastic in the recording studio segment but it just didn't happen for her in the live performance. Not bad, just not special.

Paul... I liked him last week but this song was a terrible idea. Not because America is unfamiliar with Ryan Adams but because Paul sounded terrible singing it. It showcased the weakest parts of his voice.

Pia is tough for me. I think she does a good job hitting the notes and whatnot, but she comes of as a paint-by-numbers pop balladeer. Even though I'm not finding any glaring faults it's just a bit boring.

Impressed with James. He showed restraint and still sounded fantastic.

Didn't care for Jacob's rendition of "I Believe I Can Fly". It's one thing to put your own spin on it, but what he did is essentially ignore the melody to perform crazy vocal gymnastics. What he was singing in the chorus didn't even resemble that song, or any song, really. The passion was there, but he's at risk of it coming of as gimmicky, like when Siobhan starting putting her scream into every performance last year.

Karen was just awful. There were a lot of mistakes made last night, but her performance was the only one I thought was across-the-board bad.

I think Jimmy Iovine wants Naima to go far. The way he and the producers talked about her, the choices they made for her performance, the pimp slot... I got the distinct feeling that - regardless of how she does on Idol - he is already thinking of ways to market and promote her.
Old 03-10-11, 10:10 AM

I think the bottom 3 are:

Ashton
Stefano
Karen

Caesy and James are still my top 2.

Scotty does NOT belong in this competition at all. This is not a country singing competition. Let's see how he does during disco week or showtunes week. He'll do fine on his own.

I don't get the judges std of Jacob every week either. Whatever.

Last edited by TerryW; 03-10-11 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-10-11, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought Paul, Stefano, and Karen were awful last night. I also laughed at how Thia didn't know who Charlie Chaplin was and how she thought Michael Jackson was the original artist to sing Smile.
Old 03-10-11, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Ashton going home. The next three are all deadlocked in my book:
Stefano
Haley
Karen

I have Casey and Pia in the lead.
Old 03-10-11, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ I wouldn't be surprised if Pia thought Celine originated "All by Myself" too.

As for Jacob, he'll continue to 'sing' like that until the judges tell him to stop which doesn't seem like it's going to happen. He'll have no chance of winning unless he changes.
Old 03-10-11, 06:58 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
Casey was great. But was he better than this?

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mzj9z8QDTfU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Yes.
Old 03-10-11, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As a card carrying member of the Jacob Lusk fan club after last weeks "A House Is Not a Home", I was disappointed in I Believe I Can Fly. It was almost everything I hoped he wouldn't do. That's why you can't call these competitions early.

My favorites to listen to were Casey, Thia, and Karen. I won't be "rewinding my Tivo" on any of them, though.

I'm not sure why Scotty singing Garth Brooks shouldn't be in the competition. Carrie Underwood was. I say if America likes him, he belongs. If not, he'll fall through the cracks soon enough.
Old 03-10-11, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My early prediction was Scott McCreery and Lauren Alaina as the final two, with Casey and Pia as third and fourth.

Ashton Jones is a good singer / performer, but that song was too much for her. Same can be said of Karen Rodriguez this past week, but Ashton's the one who drew the short straw.
Old 03-10-11, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 132 Likes on 77 Posts

"You're all safe...except for Karen."

Old 03-10-11, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by William Fuld

Yeah that was real nice
Old 03-10-11, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That was a good one, and it was also a suprise that the third person in the bottom three was in the second group (normally Seacrest drags it out).
Old 03-10-11, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by William Fuld

And...

"Ashthonn, you are unfortunately in our bottom 3.... and so are you Hailey"

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.