Old 03-08-11, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,529 Posts
Raising Hope -- "The Cultish Personality" -- 3/08/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-10-15

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Cousin Mike (guest star Skyler Stone) visits the Chance family after a six-month spiritual quest and brings his new wife, Tanya (guest star Mary Lynn Rajskub), and his three brother-husbands with him. Meanwhile, Burt tries to patch a strained father-son relationship between his brother (guest star JK Simmons) and Mike, but winds up getting himself in trouble.

Episode 16 of 22

Promo:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ulGxI82j1t4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-08-11, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Raising Hope -- "The Cultish Personality" -- 3/08/11

Sounds amazing!

And I can't tell you how happy I am that
Spoiler:
Cousin Mike is back!
Old 03-08-11, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really looking forward to both guest stars.
Old 03-08-11, 04:31 PM

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts

Sounds like it could be great
Old 03-08-11, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kstublen
Really looking forward to both guest stars.
The subject matter ALONE sounds hilarious!
Old 03-08-11, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This show is just so amazing. What a fantastic episode. I can't wait until it's released on DVD so I can revisit all of the episodes.

Nice to see that they didn't just drop Cousin Mike completely; really impressed that they were able to work him back into the show in such a natural (for this show at least) way. The guest stars were also used very effectively. Shows with guest stars tend to over-rely on them, making the episode all about the guest star, but it's nice to see this show not falling into that trap. It's great that they're able to work Kate Micucci into episodes every now and again as well.

I loved the callbacks as well, particularly Burt not being able to think of anything but the word think and Burt being an online sensation.

Jimmy's Gollum voice

Maw Maw's hiding places cracked me up.
Old 03-08-11, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loved this episode. I liked all three guest stars and I loved the brother husbands song. Also Burt's jail beard was funny looking.
Old 03-08-11, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"I'd love to, but with the Internet and phone cameras, the fun's over."
Old 03-08-11, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

You have to love any show willing to drop a Herman's Head reference.
Old 03-09-11, 12:54 AM

Cloris as a lamp was priceless. Reminded me of the Japanese garden on Police Squad!
Old 03-09-11, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was just coming to post about Cloris as the lamp. While they were having the conversation in the foreground, and there you see the lampshade reach for a cracker and have it disappear into the lampshade, I nearly fell down laughing, and I was already sitting. This show is just incredible, and gets better every week. Easily, easily the best comedy on TV right now. It's insane to imagine the guy behind Yes, Dear is the creator of this hilarious show. And agreed on the fact that I was thrilled they brought Cousin Mike back, and worked it in perfectly. Most shows would have just dropped him totally, this show not only brings him back, but does so perfectly and makes for a hilarious plot line.

Rajskub was excellent, it's always great to see her in a comedy role. And thankfully with Cousin Mike returning to the Brotherhood, the door is open for her to come back again and again. And hell, they even brought back the daycare woman for just a minor scene, and yet it was absolutely perfect. Most shows have a semi-regular come back for an episode, they'll overdo it. This show, they bring her back for just one scene, and its absolutely perfectly fitting. Just awesome.

Has a show ever used such a big name as Leachman as a regular in such a relatively minor role, in such an utterly perfect way? Every single scene with her in it is just fantastic. There is really nothing negative one can say about this show.
Old 03-09-11, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't think Mike stayed with the Brother-Husbands. I thought he left them and moved back in with his dad.
Old 03-09-11, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Crap, you're right. Show just how much attention I paid, I guess. I totally blanked out on the last scene during the closing credits with the commercial. My DVR cut off the last half of it, so all I saw was Cousin Mike in the ad. Didn't put two and two together that he came back, and left the Brother-Husbands.

Still, it's totally conceivable that Mike leaves and goes back to reverse-gender Polygamy and brings Rajskub back for more episodes. That definitely isn't out of the question, and I'm certainly hopeful. Rajskub was hilarious in this episode.
Old 03-09-11, 09:35 AM

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
You have to love any show willing to drop a Herman's Head reference.
Thought the exact same thing -- good stuff
Old 03-09-11, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

to another Sabrina and Shelly song.

at Maw Maw as a lamp.

Loved JK Simmons' character chasing Burt through the mattress store.
Old 03-09-11, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"No, no reason to spray cheese on anything."

Best line.

...Gail the Snail in this episode too!
Old 03-10-11, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by writer106
Loved this episode. I liked all three guest stars and I loved the brother husbands song. Also Burt's jail beard was funny looking.
Didn't look any worse than the ones he had on Deadwood.
Old 03-10-11, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by coladar
I was just coming to post about Cloris as the lamp. While they were having the conversation in the foreground, and there you see the lampshade reach for a cracker and have it disappear into the lampshade, I nearly fell down laughing, and I was already sitting. This show is just incredible, and gets better every week. Easily, easily the best comedy on TV right now. It's insane to imagine the guy behind Yes, Dear is the creator of this hilarious show. And agreed on the fact that I was thrilled they brought Cousin Mike back, and worked it in perfectly. Most shows would have just dropped him totally, this show not only brings him back, but does so perfectly and makes for a hilarious plot line.

Rajskub was excellent, it's always great to see her in a comedy role. And thankfully with Cousin Mike returning to the Brotherhood, the door is open for her to come back again and again. And hell, they even brought back the daycare woman for just a minor scene, and yet it was absolutely perfect. Most shows have a semi-regular come back for an episode, they'll overdo it. This show, they bring her back for just one scene, and its absolutely perfectly fitting. Just awesome.

Has a show ever used such a big name as Leachman as a regular in such a relatively minor role, in such an utterly perfect way? Every single scene with her in it is just fantastic. There is really nothing negative one can say about this show.
I agree with you RH has managed to use Leachman in a very good way even though it is a minor role. I prefer Leachman on RH much more than how Betty White is forced on a mediocre show like Hot in Cleveland.
Old 03-11-11, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
Nice to see that they didn't just drop Cousin Mike completely; really impressed that they were able to work him back into the show in such a natural (for this show at least) way. The guest stars were also used very effectively. Shows with guest stars tend to over-rely on them, making the episode all about the guest star, but it's nice to see this show not falling into that trap. It's great that they're able to work Kate Micucci into episodes every now and again as well.
That is one of the reasons that I enjoyed My Name is Earl so much. There was this wealth of minor characters that they had developed through the shows run. they only had major roles in a few episodes, but we saw them many, many times. It made it feel like we knew everyone in town. Sometimes when I am watching Raising Hope, I get the feeling that it indeed does take place in Camden and we are going to see alot more of the Earl characters as the show moves forward.