Old 03-08-11, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Southland -- Season Finale -- "Graduation Day" -- 3/08/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-01-01

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
The third season ends as Ben faces his final day as a rookie and contends with John's increasing dependence on painkillers. Meanwhile, Adams and Ochoa clash.

Episode 10 of 10

Promo:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_CODKS5IGfQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Can't wait. I hope it goes out with a bang.
Old 03-08-11, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Southland -- Season Finale -- "Graduation Day" -- 3/08/11

This is without a doubt the best show I've seen in a long time. It damn well better come back and if it does, hopefully in a LONGER season that doesn't take an almost year-long wait!
Old 03-08-11, 01:54 PM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

http://www.tvline.com/2011/03/southl...ason-3-finale/

Will Southland's Third Season Finale Be Its Last? Series Star Wagers $100 On Renewal

Southland‘s third season finale airs Tuesday on TNT (10/9c), and fans are already wondering: Is this it for the little show that could? Or, as at least one trade suggests, is Season 4 a possibility?

No one knows for sure, but stars Ben McKenzie and Michael Cudlitz are weighing in on the future they see for Southland.
Tuesday’s finale, “Graduation Day,” finds each character in his or her own predicament. Ben (McKenzie) is in a particularly tough spot on his final day as a rookie, struggling to deal with his longtime partner John’s (Cudlitz) ever-growing drug addiction. And while the episode is billed as merely a season-ender, it’s not impossible to see how it wraps things up for some of the characters — should this be it for Southland.

“This season really completes the journey for my character, literally and metaphorically, being a rookie,” McKenzie shares. “He’s finally done with his probationary period. He’s grown up and become a confident officer in his own right. He’s also had to face down his returning officer and tell him some hard truths. He’s ready to go out into the world, and the gloves are off for Ben Sherman.”

And should TNT renew Southland (fingers crossed), there’s still plenty to see. “The world is wide open, and Ben can go in any number of directions,” says McKenzie. “It is very exciting for both me and for the producers and writers.”

Adds Cudlitz, “The great thing for every great character in the show, and for the future of the characters, is that everything is moving forward, everybody is moving forward.”

Luckily, that’s all neither here nor there because both Cudlitz and McKenzie are more than confident that Southland will see a Season 4.

“We have produced the television series that we set out to produce, and TNT has given us the opportunity to do that unflinchingly,” says the outspoken Cudlitz. “We’re very proud of the 10 hours we have done, as well as the 13 previous hours that we produced. But more specifically the past 10 hours — and we will not be discussing not being picked up anymore.

“I think the show is getting picked up,” he reiterates with a laugh. “It’s a matter of how many [episodes].”

“If it’s 3-to-1, I’ll still put money on it,” McKenzie chimes in. “You pick the odds and I’ll bet you 100 bucks, how about that?”

Whatever Southland‘s future holds, you don’t want to miss Tuesday’s powerful finale at 10/9c on TNT.
Old 03-08-11, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk God

The ratings this season have been pretty consistent. It averages around 2-2.5M viewers per week. It's low compared to TNT's other shows like The Closer or Rizzoli and Isles, but the thing the show has going for it is good fan & critical support. Also, they managed to slash the budget by cutting Arija Bareikis, Michael McGrady, Tom Everett Scott to recurring guest stars and then killing off Kevin Alejandro. The show is operating on a cable budget, but honestly I haven't felt much of a difference.

I would love for them to give the show a longer season (13-15 episodes), but realistically I think if the show gets renewed, it's going to be another 10 episode season.
Old 03-09-11, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Excellent end to a solid season. I'm hoping this comes back so that we can see the next chapter of Ben Sherman's career in the LAPD. Even though the show is a character-driven ensemble, I feel like alot of it is through the eyes of Sherman as he's learning the ropes and getting his feet wet as a Cop.

I have to say the sequence with Sherman pursuing the suspect on the roof and the fight scene with him was such a well directed/shot sequence. It felt very real and not phony like alot of other Cop shows.

at the suspect falling to his death afterwards. That shocked the shit out of him.

to Sherman finally letting Cooper have it and getting his ass into rehab and hopefully get his back fixed. Now where does Cooper go from here? Most likely he and Sherman won't be partners anymore, so I guess they could address his closeted homosexuality more in the next season.

at Sammy saying "Nate Moretta Muther fucker" to the dying Gang member. Interesting to see him take the demotion to beat Cop.

Ochoa: How long have you been screwing my son?
Adams: We've only been seeing each other a few weeks.
Ochoa: What are you like 40?
Adams: I'm 36
Ochoa: He's 28...Great, I'm working with a child molester.
Old 03-09-11, 02:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DJariya
I have to say the sequence with Sherman pursuing the suspect on the roof and the fight scene with him was such a well directed/shot sequence. It felt very real and not phony like alot of other Cop shows.

at the suspect falling to his death afterwards. That shocked the shit out of him.

And they threw in a 'Wilhelm scream' as he fell.

This is one of the few shows that I really look forward to every week. It HAS to come back.
Old 03-09-11, 04:04 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

WTF, I just checked Amazon... Southland isn't available in Blu-ray? You have to sign up to be notified, much like the Community Blu-ray that doesn't exist. Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait.

I hadn't been paying attention so I didn't realize tonight's episode was the season finale, I did notice there wasn't a preview for next week so that's when I put two and two together.

Another excellent episode and for a TV cop show, that rooftop chase/fight was pretty awesome.

When will TV catch up to our fast paced world and produce seasons quicker... hell, it's only been what, less than a year and MTV has already shit out three seasons of The Jersey Shore (sarcasm, apples and oranges), I understand shooting reality TV is much different... but still.
Old 03-09-11, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Was this really the season finale or will they air another set of shows in the summer or later this year to complete the season?
Old 03-09-11, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Was this really the season finale or will they air another set of shows in the summer or later this year to complete the season?
No split season. Last night was the finale.
Old 03-09-11, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

awesome final ep, fingers crossed for a renewal.....
Old 03-09-11, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

That was an awesome shot. Very well done.
Old 03-09-11, 03:30 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Cracking episode, loved the ending with Sammy calling Ben Pup.
So graduated from Boot to Pup
Old 03-09-11, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

That Sherman/Cooper confrontation was ridiculously well done. I hope TNT renews this. It is the best cop show on TV, hands down.

Also awesome that Sammy got closure with the death of the guy who killed Nate and the birth of his son in teh same day.
Old 03-09-11, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

The fall looked incredibly real. It was quite shocking.
Old 03-09-11, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

As already stated; I hope this show comes back.
Old 03-09-11, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk God

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...mom-more/85214

Some good news about the ratings.

The finale got 2.3M viewers and 0.7 in the demos. With DVR playback, it should be even higher and I believe TNT does care about DVR numbers. I think the odds are pretty good for a 4th season.
Old 03-10-11, 01:54 PM

Of all things to happen, there was a glitch in my DVR right during the rooftop chase. It got to a certain point then it kept skipping back to the beginning like a scratched DVD. I was able to skip through that part and finish the rest, but I'll have to see that scene elsewhere.

This is one of my favorite shows. The characters blend together very well. I wasn't crazy about Ochoa in the beginning, but she's grown on me a lot. The relationship with her and Adams was getting pretty good until the sleeping-with-son escapade.

I wonder if Russell is gone for good? He hasn't been seen since he told Lydia that he sold those pics to the tabloid.
Old 03-10-11, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mraw
I wonder if Russell is gone for good? He hasn't been seen since he told Lydia that he sold those pics to the tabloid.

He told Lydia that they fired him .. add that to the need to cut the cast to save money and I'm thinking he's gone for good.
Old 03-10-11, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk God

If the show gets a 4th season, I would expect them to do the same thing cast-wise. Cudlitz, King, McKenzie and Hatosy will be the series regulars and everyone else will be recurring guest stars. Although Jenny Gago's character appeared in practically every episode, I think she will probably stay as a guest star as well. Story-wise, I think it worked out very well for them and cut some of the fat out.
Old 03-11-11, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Finally got to see this.

Just amazing and full circle, the ending mirroring the pilot with Sherman listening to the same great speech, recited by a new yet familiar partner. Now the agonizing wait for its return...and where the hell is season 2 on DVD?
Old 03-11-11, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
Finally got to see this.

Just amazing and full circle, the ending mirroring the pilot with Sherman listening to the same great speech, recited by a new yet familiar partner. Now the agonizing wait for its return...and where the hell is season 2 on DVD?
I hope Warner Brothers releases season 2 and 3 combined (16 episodes). IMO it will be stupid to release a 6 episode 2nd season set.
Old 03-11-11, 02:21 PM

What happened to the character that was Adams' partner after her original one was shot ... Played by the actor who was in Prison Break?
Old 03-11-11, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by northmoor
What happened to the character that was Adams' partner after her original one was shot ... Played by the actor who was in Prison Break?
Amaury Nolasco (Rene) quit the show unexpectedly after 3 episodes. They replaced him with Clifton Collins Jr. (Ray) (who is now on The Event), but NBC cancelled the show before they could film more than 1 episode with Collins.

They explained this season Adams revolving partners before she was paired with Ochoa that her previous partners quit because they couldn't stand her.
Old 03-11-11, 10:07 PM

Amaury Nolasco (Rene) quit the show unexpectedly after 3 episodes. They replaced him with Clifton Collins Jr. (Ray) (who is now on The Event), but NBC cancelled the show before they could film more than 1 episode with Collins.

They explained this season Adams revolving partners before she was paired with Ochoa that her previous partners quit because they couldn't stand her.
Thanks. I thought I remember that Rene actually asked to be her partner, and although they started off rocky, I thought they started to hit it off after a while. I must have missed an ep somewhere ... Or zoned out. Lol