Old 03-07-11, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,529 Posts
Being Human -- "Children Shouldn't Play With Undead Things" -- 3/07/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-01-09

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Sally meets some ghosts in an old, vacant part of the hospital; Aidan helps a boy who's being bullied; Nora and Josh continue their awkward courtship; Rebecca resurfaces.

Episode 8 of 13

Promo:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GyvHx7e5P2Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-07-11, 09:48 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Being Human -- "Children Shouldn't Play With Undead Things" -- 3/07/11

interesting that the US version tones down the UK's pedophile aspect that occurs with Aidan making friends with the neighborhood bullied kid - the story in the UK episode was done in one episode and not spread to two episodes as the US version is doing. Also the introduction of the other ghosts to Sally is much more interesting in the UK series
Spoiler:
with the ancilary character of the psychic - this might pan out as such since it is still early on regarding this storyline
. Also, it seems that the UK series had more money for the special effects, cause the werewolf transformations are very 'Howling'/'American Werewolf' with alot more facial, body stretching - the reveal of the cgi werewolf was eyeball rolling IMO.
Old 03-07-11, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
interesting that the US version tones down the UK's pedophile aspect that occurs with Aidan making friends with the neighborhood bullied kid - the story in the UK episode was done in one episode and not spread to two episodes as the US version is doing. Also the introduction of the other ghosts to Sally is much more interesting in the UK series
Spoiler:
with the ancilary character of the psychic - this might pan out as such since it is still early on regarding this storyline
. Also, it seems that the UK series had more money for the special effects, cause the werewolf transformations are very 'Howling'/'American Werewolf' with alot more facial, body stretching - the reveal of the cgi werewolf was eyeball rolling IMO.
I agree with you I like how Sally is interacting with other ghosts right now on the US version and I liked the whole ghosts trapped in the hospital subplot in tonight's episode.

I can sort of understand why the pedophile storyline was toned down a bit and I like the storyline will be expanded a bit. Based on the promos
Spoiler:
I kind of like that Bernie gets turned by Rebecca or someone else in next week's episode.
Old 03-08-11, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by writer106
I can sort of understand why the pedophile storyline was toned down a bit and I like the storyline will be expanded a bit. Based on the promos
Spoiler:
I kind of like that Bernie gets turned by Rebecca or someone else in next week's episode.
I think the US version is handling this much more realistically. That was one of my least favorite episodes of the UK version because the reaction of the mother and the neighbors was so over the top and then the resolution with the kid didn't fit with Mitchell's character at all.

I'm enjoying both series but kind of getting confused watching the current UK one. I was wondering why they weren't in the new house and then remembered I was watching the US version. LOL
Old 03-08-11, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by writer106
I agree with you I like how Sally is interacting with other ghosts right now on the US version and I liked the whole ghosts trapped in the hospital subplot in tonight's episode.

Spoiler:
in regards to your spoiler (in the UK version)
Spoiler:
Mitchel turns the boy into a vampire, very 'Interview with a Vampire-esque'
Old 03-08-11, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by celmendo
I think the US version is handling this much more realistically. That was one of my least favorite episodes of the UK version because the reaction of the mother and the neighbors was so over the top and then the resolution with the kid didn't fit with Mitchell's character at all.

I'm enjoying both series but kind of getting confused watching the current UK one. I was wondering why they weren't in the new house and then remembered I was watching the US version. LOL

oh I agree, the US version is more subdued which I like, I thought though the quick reveal of Mitchell to the bully kids as a vampire was 'very Mitchell' and little bit missed, but I gather we will see how this storyline progresses in next week's episode.
Old 03-08-11, 02:24 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 397 Likes on 247 Posts

I don't watch the UK version, and am really enjoying the US version, but I will be fucking annoyed as hell if the show introduces a fucking vampire kid as a regular character.
Old 03-08-11, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by celmendo

Originally Posted by Giles
oh I agree, the US version is more subdued which I like, I thought though the quick reveal of Mitchell to the bully kids as a vampire was 'very Mitchell' and little bit missed, but I gather we will see how this storyline progresses in next week's episode.
I also disliked that episode in the UK series too but I like the US version's take on it. I like how Aidan interacted with Bernie while remembering the time he had with his own son. I do like how Aidan was a husband and father before being turned into a vampire.
Old 03-08-11, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
I don't watch the UK version, and am really enjoying the US version, but I will be fucking annoyed as hell if the show introduces a fucking vampire kid as a regular character.
I don't think he will become a regular character.
Spoiler:
In the UK version, the boy and his mom move away after his transformation.
Old 03-09-11, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is this doing in the ratings?
Old 03-09-11, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,529 Posts

Originally Posted by riley_dude
How is this doing in the ratings?
About 1.5M viewers a week. It looks like a relatively cheap show to produce, so I'm fully expecting SyFy to renew it for a 2nd season.
Old 03-09-11, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I strongly recommend people go find the UK version of the show. The two are vastly different in terms of quality. The US version isn't bad... but it is a pretty dramatic drop in quality if you place the two side-by-side. Season 2 of the UK version is just about as great as TV can get.
Old 03-09-11, 04:45 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 397 Likes on 247 Posts

Sam Huntington absolutely makes this show... (I think I previously said this in another thread, but got my Sam's (Huntington vs Witwer) confused).
Old 03-12-11, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another solid episode, loved Josh finally manning up with Nora. Love the shoutout with the episode title too.
Old 03-15-11, 08:20 PM

what I'm not digging about the US version, is this need to overruse pop songs ... alot. The omnipresent music is a major distraction.