Old 03-06-11, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,529 Posts
Breakout Kings -- New A&E Series -- "Pilot" -- 3/06/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-03-06

Synopsis for Pilot:

Spoiler:
An unconventional team is formed to track escaped convicts when, in the series opener, two U.S. Marshals hire three convicted felons who had escaped from prison, and promise them a month off of their sentences for each capture.

13 episode season

This is from Matt Olmstead and Nick Santora, who were Producers on Prison Break. This was originally developed for FOX, but they passed on it and A&E bought it afterwards.

Trailer:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/r96PpPHYoMo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Robert Knepper will guest star in a 4 episode arc as "T-Bag" from Prison Break. The Producers got the approval from FOX to include the character in this series. Promo for Knepper's apperance:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7Wqnv1sc_5g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Starring:
Laz Alonso (Southland, Avatar)
Domenick Lombardozzi (Entourage, The Wire)
Brooke Nevin (The 4400)
Serinda Swan (Smallville, Tron: Legacy)
Jimmi Simpson (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia)
Malcolm Goodwin (American Gangster)

This looks like a fun series. With a cable budget, it's not surprising that they didn't hire any big name actors as the leads.
Old 03-06-11, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: Breakout Kings -- New A&E Series -- "Pilot" -- 3/06/11

FYI, the Pilot runs 49 minutes.

If you somehow miss this, there is at least 15 re-airs throughout the week.

If you are cable-less, A&E's last original series "The Glades" was posted online on A&E's web site after it's airings. But, I have no idea how soon these will appear.
Old 03-06-11, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,352 Likes on 917 Posts

Glad you started a thread for this.
Old 03-06-11, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It'll take me a while to stop seeing Jimmi Simpson as McPoyle, but I'll give it a shot.
Old 03-06-11, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 157 Likes on 119 Posts

Saw previews for this when I was watching Scared Straight last night and it looked like a definite record. Now that I see Serinda Swan is in it it's going to the top of the list tonight.
Old 03-06-11, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by starman9000
Robert Knepper will guest star in a 4 episode arc as "T-Bag" from Prison Break. The Producers got the approval from FOX to include the character in this series.
Looks like they're sticking with the fake hand which is the one continuity with that character I was concerned they'd change.

Originally Posted by starman9000
It'll take me a while to stop seeing Jimmi Simpson as McPoyle, but I'll give it a shot.
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 03-06-11, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

not hyped for this, but will still check it out. hope it's good!
Old 03-06-11, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll give it a shot.
Old 03-06-11, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought it was pretty good for a Pilot and I liked what I saw so far. Definitely enough to make me tune in next week. It sort of reminds me of Leverage in gathering together the bad guys to do some good, but it takes itself more seriously than Leverage does. It looks as though they'll combine stand-alone episodes and multi-episode arcs, which could be a nice format.

I like the cast as well. The characters are different enough to keep things fresh. It looks as though they're going to place a big emphasis on character development, so that's a good sign. I didn't see Ray being a con coming, so that was a nice twist. Jimmi Simpson was probably my favorite; he's sort of combined the characters he has portrayed in It's Always Sunny (especially the "Ciao Bitches") and Psych (the eccentric psychologist), but he's crafted a unique character here. His interactions with Shea were great. Looks like Philly won't be a regular, which I'm not too bothered about since she was probably one of the weaker characters, but she might have had potential in the long run.

I think one key to this show will be that the escaped cons are pretty crafty, and I liked the way the guy escaped, the way he was one step ahead for a while, etc. Nice final standoff as well.

The one thing that didn't make much sense to me though was that if Julianne has these social anxiety problems, how is she exactly making it out of her house and to the office?

In any case, this is much better than Chase and I'm in until at least the T-Bag episodes are over.
Old 03-06-11, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree that it has potential. And you can't blame anyone for not seeing the "twist" at the end because it made no sense. Not only did Ray keep his gun until the end, the argument after he discharged it in the bar is ludicrous in hindsight.
Old 03-07-11, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Turned off after 20 minutes. My instincts were right.

You want to see real US Marshals and real fugitives? Watch Manhunters March 17 also on A&E

Last edited by MLBFan24; 03-07-11 at 12:41 AM.
Old 03-07-11, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MLBFan24

You wants to see real US Marshals and real fugitives? Watch Manhunters March 17 also on A&E
What makes you think anyone wants to watch real US Marshals and real fugitives? I watched scripted TV and not reality TV for a reason.

Also, I tend to give shows the benefit of the doubt during the Pilot, since the kinks are still being worked out and things tend to change once they get picked up. This show, for example, is ditching Philly in favor of a different female lead. I dunno, I just give shows at least two episodes (usually) before dropping them.
Old 03-07-11, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kstublen
What makes you think anyone wants to watch real US Marshals and real fugitives? I watched scripted TV and not reality TV for a reason.

Also, I tend to give shows the benefit of the doubt during the Pilot, since the kinks are still being worked out and things tend to change once they get picked up. This show, for example, is ditching Philly in favor of a different female lead. I dunno, I just give shows at least two episodes (usually) before dropping them.
sorry, I meant that more of an opinion and made a suggestion about a cool and intense show that involves US Marshals. While most reality shows are crap, Manhunters gives a pretty good perspective on catching fugitives. I didn't feel the suspense from Breakout Kings, which I know I only gave it 20 minutes, but personally, I trust my instincts with dramas (ie: "Chase" from earlier in the TV season).

On the other hand, I love "Chicago Code" - while it's obviously fiction, it just feels real to me. Not the case with "Chase" or "Breakout Kings" for me.

And then there are shows that I enjoy based solely on the fact that it can only occur in the fictional world - 24, LOST, and Prison Break. Those plots are too outrageous to really happen..haha

Last edited by MLBFan24; 03-07-11 at 12:52 AM.
Old 03-07-11, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fair enough. And yeah, I originally thought you came into this comparing it to real life, but given your subsequent post I see that wasn't exactly the case, lol. If you liked Prison Break though, you're at least going to check out the T-Bag episodes, right? I mean, I imagine that's why most of us tuned in in the first place.
Old 03-07-11, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Santora and writer/producer Dan Dratch were on Carolla's podcast last week plugging this. Dratch wrote for the Carolla's The Man Show and then Monk. From what I gathered the pilot ep was what they made for Fox before A&E picked it up.

Santora cited the move to cable along with A&E's desire to be "edgier" as the reason for replacing the female lead with Swan. It sounded like BS, but maybe that's the direction they'll head after the pilot. Dratch also said it would be a funny show, but again he could have just been saying what he thought a comedy podcast audience wanted to hear.
Old 03-07-11, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wmansir
Santora and writer/producer Dan Dratch were on Carolla's podcast last week plugging this. Dratch wrote for the Carolla's The Man Show and then Monk. From what I gathered the pilot ep was what they made for Fox before A&E picked it up.

Santora cited the move to cable along with A&E's desire to be "edgier" as the reason for replacing the female lead with Swan. It sounded like BS, but maybe that's the direction they'll head after the pilot. Dratch also said it would be a funny show, but again he could have just been saying what he thought a comedy podcast audience wanted to hear.
Well, Jimmi Simpson being one of the leads seems a good indication that it will contain a decent bit of humor.
Old 03-07-11, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk God

I liked it. It's not the best new show this season, but IMO it has the potential to be a fun action procedural like Leverage. I think the strongest part of the episode was the chemistry between Ray and Charlie. That was a really strange twist at the end with Ray actuallly being a Con. Some very funny dialogue and it appears they are focusing alot on the characters. It looks to me that Charlie may have some issues. And I liked Jimmi Simpson's character Lloyd. to airing the episode with almost no commercials. The 1st commercial break came at almost the 37 minute mark.

I was honestly surprised that A&E aired the Pilot that was shot for FOX and didn't do any re-shoots. At 1st I thought A&E fucked up and aired the wrong version. I heard that Nicole Steinwedell (Philly) was dropped from the show after A&E picked it up so I was pleasantly surprised to see her. I liked her alot on The Unit. It's a shame the Philly character won't be developed further.

So Julianne has some kind of social anxiety disorder? I did think it was weird at the end when she asked that guy what time it was so randomly.

I'm looking forward to the T-Bag arc whenever that's scheduled to air. Refresh my memory, was T-Bag back at FOX River at the end of the show?

Last edited by DJariya; 03-07-11 at 03:30 AM.
Old 03-07-11, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by wmansir
Given that it's a 10pm show on cable, they do have a little more flexbility in the creative department with language and violence. But, that's a BS reason to replace Steinwedell with Swan if that's indeed his excuse. I heard the show tested really well on FOX, so I don't see how replacing one pretty girl with another makes any difference in the edgier department.
Old 03-07-11, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by MLBFan24

You want to see real US Marshals and real fugitives? Watch Manhunters March 17 also on A&E
So any future scripted shows about U.S. Marshalls and Cons are dead to you because of some reality show on A&E that you love?

Dude, this is scripted TV. I don't think your being fair with your comparison. I also don't think you were fair with your assessment of Chase 6 months ago after only watching 20 minutes. Chase, although dead, grew into a pretty compelling action procedural. For starters, you will never see action scenes, explosions or gun fights in a reality TV show like Manhunter or Cops versus a scripted drama like Breakout Kings or Prison Break. I know it's just your opinion, but IMO it's an apples and oranges comparison. I'm not about to compare Prison Break to some Prison reality show on Nat Geo.

I guess I should cancel my season pass for Sons of Anarchy so I can start watching American Chopper on Discovery since it's about "Real Bikers" not those fake ones that Kurt Sutter created.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-07-11 at 03:36 AM.
Old 03-07-11, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJariya
So Julianne has some kind of social anxiety disorder? I did think it was weird at the end when she asked that guy what time it was so randomly.
Jimmi Simpson's character told her to walk a block from her house and ask someone the time. He said that taking baby steps like that were more effective to helping her with her disorder than group therapy, etc.

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm looking forward to the T-Bag arc whenever that's scheduled to air. Refresh my memory, was T-Bag back at FOX River at the end of the show?
I believe that during The Final Break he was temporarily incarcerated in Florida with the General, but he was ultimately sent back to Fox River when it was all said and done.
Old 03-07-11, 08:47 AM

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts

D'oh -- forgot to set the DVR for this last night. Will look to catch an encore sometime this week.
Old 03-07-11, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Geofferson
D'oh -- forgot to set the DVR for this last night. Will look to catch an encore sometime this week.
Fortunately as I said earlier, there is about 15 re-airs this week.

FYI, for those who don't have cable, A&E posted the Pilot on their website.

http://www.aetv.com/breakout-kings/video/

It's broken up into 5 parts.
Old 03-07-11, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.deadline.com/2011/03/brea...g-debut-on-ae/

Some good ratings news.

2.8M watched. 1.5M watched in the 18-49 demographic, which is an A&E record.
Old 03-07-11, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm... had not even heard about this show until I saw this thread - did A&E advertise this at all?

May have to catch one of the 1500 re-airings of it... fortunately A&E is good about that (or bad depending on your perspective)
Old 03-07-11, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by wirefan
Hmmm... had not even heard about this show until I saw this thread - did A&E advertise this at all?

May have to catch one of the 1500 re-airings of it... fortunately A&E is good about that (or bad depending on your perspective)
They did advertise it quite well. Ads were plastered online on alot of sites.

You have plenty of re-airs to catch it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.