Reload this Page >

Big Love : Episode 51 "The Noose Tightens" -- 3/6/11

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-06-11, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts

This one and two more is all we've got left, folks.

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hbo.com/bin/hboPlayerV2.swf?vid=1160477"></param><param name="FlashVars" value="domain=http://www.hbo.com&videoTitle=Preview 51&copyShareURL=http%3A//www.hbo.com/video/video.html/%3Fautoplay%3Dtrue%26vid%3D1160477%26filter%3Dbig-love%26view%3Dnull"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.hbo.com/bin/hboPlayerV2.swf?vid=1160477" FlashVars="domain=http://www.hbo.com&videoTitle=Preview 51&copyShareURL=http%3A//www.hbo.com/video/video.html/%3Fautoplay%3Dtrue%26vid%3D1160477%26filter%3Dbig-love%26view%3Dnull" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="512" height="288"></embed></object>
Old 03-06-11, 09:17 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 242 Likes on 183 Posts
Re: Big Love : Episode 51 "The Noose Tightens" -- 3/6/11

@ Bill telling Don to have faith in him

Still a lot to resolve in two episodes. Grant Show's character was a waste of time if that's the end of him.
Old 03-07-11, 12:22 AM

That was a VERY stressful hour of TV. At least we're moving forwards. I agree the whole Michael Sainte / Goji Juice story line was just a waste of time, but if there's one loose story that I won't mind seeing left behind, it's that one. The other stuff is really spinning now.

BTW : This was the best hour Gennifer Goodwin has ever done on this show. Definitely her episode tonight.
Old 03-07-11, 12:29 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 104 Likes on 93 Posts

The Noose tightens is fucking right.

I love this show.

Everything is coming together or coming apart at the seams... I love Albie. He's fantastic.
Old 03-07-11, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,010 Likes on 719 Posts

Wow! They really packed it in to this episode. So much happened it felt like more than an hours worth.

Yeah, Decker, it was a stressful hour, indeed.

I knew the statutory thing was going to be that fucking bishop's doing. This isn't the politics forum, so I'll just leave it at that...

I was really impressed that Ben didn't blurt out the issue with Cara Lynn.
Old 03-07-11, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
I love Albie. .
I'm pretty sure he'd be very THRILLED to learn of this.

I love the show enough where even last year's "bad" season was something I tried to defend, so I'm feeling bittersweet about this all coming to an end.

Tonight's episode made me feel like I needed to take a Xanax. I have no idea how they can wrap up so many stories in just 2 more episodes, but I hope it ends happily for the family and closes up as many stories as possible, so I can feel good about how I will last see these characters.

I think Ginnifer Goodwin is a terrific actress, but I agree this episode was her strongest performance yet. Maybe ever.
Old 03-07-11, 08:48 AM

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts

Intense and exciting episode last night A lot going down in the final two episodes...
Old 03-07-11, 03:47 PM

LA Times Episode Recap Blog : http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/show...-tightens.html

I enjoy these articles she writes for Show Tracker
Old 03-07-11, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Retro promo
Spoiler:
According to Natalie Maines (via Twitter), this cover of "God Only Knows" will be in series finale

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/acifSwHY_-M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-07-11, 06:31 PM

Beautiful promo.

Hey, I got a Teenie sighting at 28 seconds in!

Was that a solo or a Dixie Chick recording? Either way, I'll be getting that one of iTunes when available.
Old 03-07-11, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 810 Likes on 565 Posts

Great episode. They really know how to convey the level of doom and stress of the situations.

Agreed that Ginnifer really shined in this episode.

I'm still confused as to why Heather blabbed in the first place. Did I miss something? What was the purpose of blabbing out that detail to the Bishop in the first place? What was she trying to accomplish?

Robert Patrick's inclusion this season has been pretty damn minimal. When I heard he would be in this season, I expected a bigger role. This was like Linda Hamilton's small role in Weeds this past season (coincidentally another actor from Terminator 2).
Old 03-07-11, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker
Beautiful promo.

Hey, I got a Teenie sighting at 28 seconds in!

Was that a solo or a Dixie Chick recording? Either way, I'll be getting that one of iTunes when available.
Well, Natalie said it was the Chicks, so I'll take her at her word. She also said it would be available for sale at iTunes and a few other places after the finale airs.

Also, I had no idea that Ginnifer was wearing a wig. It looks so natural that it really never occurred to me and I figured the short hair she's been sporting was done after they filmed the finale. But she actually has a wig clause for Big Love and for movies, including the likely crappy film that's coming out with her and Kate Hudson. She claims to not like to grow her hair out.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 03-07-11 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-07-11, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Coral
I'm still confused as to why Heather blabbed in the first place. Did I miss something? What was the purpose of blabbing out that detail to the Bishop in the first place? What was she trying to accomplish?
She made it pretty clear to her Bishop that this was something that weighed heavily on her and she needed to unburden herself. She had no idea that the Bishop would do an end-around and call her parents. I imagine that's a violation of confidentiality, but I don't know if that applies in the LDS church the way it does in other religions. Still, it seems weird that after SO MANY YEARS of keeping the Hendicksons' secrets, this was the issue that put her over the edge.

Robert Patrick's inclusion this season has been pretty damn minimal. When I heard he would be in this season, I expected a bigger role.
Yeah, I was disappointed by that too. I was hoping for a lot of Polygamist infighting this season, as it seems more entertaining to me than the political backroom dealing we got this season. If I wanted to see George Itzen play a political weasel, I'd re-watch Seasons 4, 5 and 8 of 24. Besides, I'm still dying to know if Hollis Green is sporting one arm or two.
Old 03-07-11, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
She made it pretty clear to her Bishop that this was something that weighed heavily on her and she needed to unburden herself. She had no idea that the Bishop would do an end-around and call her parents. I imagine that's a violation of confidentiality, but I don't know if that applies in the LDS church the way it does in other religions. Still, it seems weird that after SO MANY YEARS of keeping the Hendicksons' secrets, this was the issue that put her over the edge.
I remember her saying that, but I still don't quite understand this "unburdening" as she said to the Bishop that the Hendrickson's are really good people. She's never really had a problem with the family and really likes Ben, so I'm sure how/why this piece of info weighed heavily on her as she already made up her mind on the family. And I have a hard time believing that Heather would be so dumb as to tell a Bishop from the LDS church who are obviously opposed to Bill and polygamy - especially since she knows the struggles the family has gone through when they revealed themselves.

The way this part of the story unfolded doesn't seem plausable.
Old 03-08-11, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Coral
I remember her saying that, but I still don't quite understand this "unburdening" as she said to the Bishop that the Hendrickson's are really good people. She's never really had a problem with the family and really likes Ben, so I'm sure how/why this piece of info weighed heavily on her as she already made up her mind on the family. And I have a hard time believing that Heather would be so dumb as to tell a Bishop from the LDS church who are obviously opposed to Bill and polygamy - especially since she knows the struggles the family has gone through when they revealed themselves.

The way this part of the story unfolded doesn't seem plausable.
I think the part about keeping Margene's real age a secret was the implausible part.
I mean, did the Henderson's really think that they could keep something as simple as a date of birth secret once they stepped into public life? You'd think that as soon as Bill outed himself, every reporter in the Western Hemisphere would have torn up every possible archive looking for information on the Hendersons and everyone they're associated with.
And Heather doesn't seem so dumb. She's probably under the belief that a conversation with a church elder has some sort of confidentiality implicit. Otherwise, church elders couldn't be trustworthy. I'm actually kind of glad the information came out that way- something like this could be drawn out, needlessly, for four or five episodes and waste a lot of time.
Bring on the next two!
Old 03-08-11, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Next two?

Are there only 10 episodes this season?
Old 03-08-11, 08:30 AM

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts

^ Yes.
Old 03-08-11, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn. I was thinking 12 or 13 episodes. I just checked and noticed last season had only 9, and there was only 10 the season before. The first two seasons had 12 episodes.

I thought they'd make this season a little longer since it's the final one.

I didn't like the opening song when they introduced it last season, but I've finally gotten used to it and actually like it and find it fitting... and there are only 2 more episodes of it.
Old 03-08-11, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, the length of these seasons seems to me to be the reason the show has declined in quality a bit during this season and the last. Still love the show, but these seasons have seen the Hendrickson's at their most stressed as a result of Bill's huge ambitions. Last season, 9 episodes just wasn't enough and a lot of stories seemed underdeveloped. Since these season is just running off of last season's set up, it actually feels a little better, but I think both seasons would have benefited immensly from a full 12/13 episode run.

This was another really good episode though. The Goji story was always ridiculous to me, but I everything else is pretty engaging. Especially Albie vs. Bill.
Old 03-08-11, 06:29 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

WOW, just finished watching this weeks episode. Holy crap I was sweating through the whole show... Emmy winning performances throughout, not that it will probably even be considered but still, damn that was intense. In my opinion, even the ending of the Sopranos wasn't this riveting. Don't get me wrong I loved the Sopranos, but it was a forgone conclusion that lives would be lost near the end of that series run so it wasn't much of a surprise when the shit started to hit the fan... but Big Love, oh man.

The last few seasons I was a little disappointed in the obvious "cost saving" measures used on this show, rotating of actors every other episode or so... lack of actual location filming (mostly sound stage shoots, i.e., bottle episodes). In general the last two seasons had a "cheap" feeling to them. I give the show a pass because I was hooked early on so I wasn't about to walk away. Thank God I stuck around because last night was well worth the sacrifices that were made to the show in seasons prior.

Genius episode this week, this show will be missed.
Old 03-08-11, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I prefer the old opening intro/song.
Old 03-09-11, 12:07 AM

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I also preferred the Beach Boys opening with the main characters skating over cracking ice. But now I kind of enjoy watching the characters flailing about in the abyss on what I assume must be their 'judgement day'.

I think I read an interview with the show's creators, it might have even been in an old forum posting on here, that they went with the new opening because it stood as a metaphor for what the show was about.

Whereas in the first couple seasons where we were just learning about the crazy life of being in a polygamist marriage and what it took to get by and try to make it work, in the last couple seasons and especially now, with just one episode of the series left, it seems likely all of our favorite polygamist characters will be cast 'into the darkness' or whatever version of hell the Mormon religion believes in.
Old 03-09-11, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, and I don't like that either. The new theme is fitting for the show, but I miss the show that had something positive to say about polygamist lifestyle. The one positive example we had is now an egotistical statutory rapist who can't keep his family together. The Beach Boys opening was happier times.
Old 03-09-11, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 598 Likes on 483 Posts

An aptly named episode.
Old 03-09-11, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC
Yes, and I don't like that either. The new theme is fitting for the show, but I miss the show that had something positive to say about polygamist lifestyle. The one positive example we had is now an egotistical statutory rapist who can't keep his family together. The Beach Boys opening was happier times.
This. I miss the original opening too, but it no longer "fits" where the show has gone. The writers clearly knew where they were headed when they switched to the new opening last season. If it is any genuine indication of what is to come, all four will be left shattered, scrambling, tumbling into nothingness, reaching for a hand to hold onto. That the song is called "Home" is just genius.