DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Thinking About Starting The Dark Tower Series

poetic_power
03-03-11, 07:50 PM
I've never read Stephen King but I'm really curious about this series. I did some research and for the most part, people enjoyed it. I don't know much about the series but I like fantasy and science fiction books. So should I start the journey?

rocketsauce
03-03-11, 08:24 PM
You should. I recently started it a few months ago knowing absolutely nothing about it and I'm glad I did. I got the the first four books in a row but needed a little break, but plan on finishing the series soon. It takes a little bit to get going but stick with it.

poetic_power
03-04-11, 12:02 AM
Sweet! Sounds good. I'll take the plunge.

JAA
03-04-11, 07:50 AM
Enjoy the ride!

Lastblade
04-02-11, 01:33 AM
Read the first four books, and don't read the last 3. The latter ones can't compare the first 4.

Xander
04-04-11, 09:58 AM
Read the first four books, and don't read the last 3. The latter ones can't compare the first 4.

:rolleyes: Worst advice ever. Telling someone not to read the ending of a series? While the quality of the last three DOES suffer somewhat, I would never advise someone not to finish out the series. Some people actually LIKED the ending. ;)

Rob V
04-04-11, 11:27 AM

Don't do this. Read them all. They all have their merits and low points but all in all it's an epic journey.

wmansir
04-04-11, 02:08 PM
I wouldn't recommend them to start King. I really liked the first one, in the original form, the rest ranged from good to pretty bad, in a generally declining progression. The last two in particular were a mess, full of self-referential material and tie ins with his other works. Maybe it would work better without knowing all the references, but I doubt it.

Lastblade
04-04-11, 05:43 PM
:rolleyes: Worst advice ever. Telling someone not to read the ending of a series? While the quality of the last three DOES suffer somewhat, I would never advise someone not to finish out the series. Some people actually LIKED the ending. ;)

I don't mind the ending, it is the book(s) that suck. Thousands of pages of unenjoyable crap. I LOVED the first 4 books, but the last 3 just soured my opinion on the entire series. It is akin to watching The Matrix, and pretend the sequels do not exist :D

movie diva
04-05-11, 12:33 AM
Read them all, I am not a fan of the last 3 but I have read the entire series twice, so enjoy and have fun.

Xander
04-05-11, 11:40 AM
I don't mind the ending, it is the book(s) that suck. Thousands of pages of unenjoyable crap. I LOVED the first 4 books, but the last 3 just soured my opinion on the entire series. It is akin to watching The Matrix, and pretend the sequels do not exist :D

I am not going to argue the merits or quality of the books. That's totally subjective. I'm just saying telling someone not to read the ending of a story seems way harsh. Why get invested if you're not going to finish? :)

Michael Corvin
04-06-11, 08:36 AM
I am not going to argue the merits or quality of the books. That's totally subjective. I'm just saying telling someone not to read the ending of a story seems way harsh. Why get invested if you're not going to finish? :)

:up:

If you aren't going to read them all, don't bother. As mentioned they all have their ups and downs and the latter 3 have their detractors, but they are still very fun books.

Alyoshka
04-12-11, 10:16 PM
I'm reading The Stand right now. After I finish with it I intend to start with the Dark Towers Series. But now I'm confused, is it finished with 7 books? I thought he just announced he was writing another?

Philzilla
04-13-11, 08:58 AM
I'm reading The Stand right now. After I finish with it I intend to start with the Dark Towers Series. But now I'm confused, is it finished with 7 books? I thought he just announced he was writing another?

The ending is finished, the new book takes place between book 4 and 5

JAA
04-14-11, 08:09 AM
The ending is finished, the new book takes place between book 4 and 5

Interesting . . . I look forward to this then as book 4 was my favorite in the DT series.

silentbob007
04-14-11, 10:25 AM
Funny ... I was just re-reading these books and buying them for my Kindle. I made it through Wizard and Glass then stopped. I suppose I'll pick up the rest, though my desire definitely flags a bit.

Michael Corvin
04-15-11, 08:33 AM
Funny ... I was just re-reading these books and buying them for my Kindle. I made it through Wizard and Glass then stopped. I suppose I'll pick up the rest, though my desire definitely flags a bit.

I've read the first 4 probably three times each, up until the release of 5-7(read those once). Now I'm curious how flawed they actually are, or if it all comes down to initial disappointment.

Anyone read the last 3 more than once?

Xander
04-15-11, 10:09 AM
I've read them twice. I think Song of Susannah (book 6) is still probably my least favorite book, but I liked book 7 more than the first time I read it. I also liked Wolves of the Calla a lot more. :shrug:

Rob V
04-17-11, 12:26 PM
To me, the 6th book was the worst as well. I think the 4th was my favorite -- I believe that was the one flashing back to a young Roland.

GoldenJCJ
09-20-12, 01:33 PM
I started my Dark Tower journey yesterday. I'm a little worried starting such a large endeavor knowing how Stephen King has a tendency to not know how to finish his stories but I figure I'll give it a shot anyway.

JAA
09-20-12, 04:34 PM
Don't worry too much about the destination. You'll probably enjoy the ride.

wmansir
09-21-12, 02:46 AM
Has anyone read The Wind Through the Keyhole? It totally slipped off my radar since I haven't enjoyed much of Kings latest works.

Philzilla
09-21-12, 09:41 AM
Has anyone read The Wind Through the Keyhole? It totally slipped off my radar since I haven't enjoyed much of Kings latest works.

I own it, but haven't got around to it. I'm planning on doing a massive DT re-read so the plan is to get to it then.

Xander
09-21-12, 11:22 AM

You didn't enjoy Under the Dome or 11/22/63? I thought they were pretty solid. :shrug:

That said, I thought WTTK was just okay. The "story within a story" thing didn't work for me that well. It does pretty much zero to advance the stories of any of the main characters. I didn't hate it, I guess, it just wasn't what I was expecting.

Mike86
09-21-12, 02:01 PM
I started reading this series a few months back. So far I've completed the first two and thought they were pretty good reads especially The Drawing of the Three. I have the third and fourth books as well as The Wind Through the Keyhole but haven't started them yet. I need to pick up the final three at some point but I'll probably wait until I've finished the others off.