Old 03-01-11, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts
No Ordinary Family -- "No Ordinary Love" -- 3/01/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By null at 2011-01-11

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
The mysterious Mrs. X (Lucy Lawless) tasks the sexy - and dangerous - Sophie (Tricia Helfer) to cause Jim and George to fall under her spell and make them do whatever she wants them to - which could place Jim's marriage in jeopardy. Meanwhile, Stephanie must decide whether or not to inject a patient with the trilsettum serum and risk turning him into a super in order to retain Dr. King's trust, and Daphne's boyfriend, Chris, begins to have suspicions about the Powell family's abilities

Episode 17 of 20**

**Episode order cut from 22 to 20
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2...r-389314/9148/
Old 03-01-11, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: No Ordinary Family -- "No Ordinary Love" -- 3/01/11

I didn't realize that they cut the episode order. I'll continue to enjoy the remaining episodes, but no love lost should this get cancelled.
Old 03-01-11, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I will miss my weekly dose of Autumn Reeser. Think i read she was pregnant so not sure what she will be able to do this pilot season.
Old 03-01-11, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For someone who has been recording this since day one but haven't yet started it, would you say it's worth watching? I see they cut the ep. order but if it's decent TV I wouldn't mind watching those 20 but if it's pretty bad that makes all the difference.

More or less, is this better than season 2 and beyond of Heroes?
Old 03-01-11, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

/\ It's certainly better than the last few seasons of Heroes, and I would recommend watching the episodes that you have saved up. There are some weak moments here and there, but the show has been getting a little better with the last few episodes.
Old 03-01-11, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not a good sign to get the order cut. I've watched every episode but I won't be too upset if it's cancelled. The cast deserves better. Except for the son.
Old 03-02-11, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
For someone who has been recording this since day one but haven't yet started it, would you say it's worth watching? I see they cut the ep. order but if it's decent TV I wouldn't mind watching those 20 but if it's pretty bad that makes all the difference.

More or less, is this better than season 2 and beyond of Heroes?
It's an OK show. Definitely a lot of plot holes and contrivances, but so far the good has outweighed the bad (though not by a whole lot ). Really, I think the only thing I can't forgive is how much the wife WASTES her power! My wife is getting tired of me commenting each week what a waste that character is. She has superspeed yet rarely uses it for anything more than moving quickly to a spot 5 feet away from her current location. But if she used the power more, it would take away some of the "contrived" drama that drives the show, so I get it, but it's so irritating.

Last night, after one of my comments, my wife said I am just too much of a geek coming up with all these ways she could be using her powers. Could be.
Old 03-02-11, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The show is gonna be cancelled, which is sad because I like the cast too... minus the son of course...
Old 03-02-11, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
/\ It's certainly better than the last few seasons of Heroes, and I would recommend watching the episodes that you have saved up. There are some weak moments here and there, but the show has been getting a little better with the last few episodes.
Originally Posted by Claytonian
It's an OK show. Definitely a lot of plot holes and contrivances, but so far the good has outweighed the bad (though not by a whole lot ). Really, I think the only thing I can't forgive is how much the wife WASTES her power! My wife is getting tired of me commenting each week what a waste that character is. She has superspeed yet rarely uses it for anything more than moving quickly to a spot 5 feet away from her current location. But if she used the power more, it would take away some of the "contrived" drama that drives the show, so I get it, but it's so irritating.

Last night, after one of my comments, my wife said I am just too much of a geek coming up with all these ways she could be using her powers. Could be.
Thanks for the replies. That makes me feel better about them sitting on the Tivo now.
Old 03-02-11, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This episode was easily the worst so far, and there's been plenty of lame moments so far.

How easily did Stephanie give up on Jim? And why? And then Chaka holding up the pictures she tore up was so horribly bad. And "claw your way to the top?" I'm out.
Old 03-03-11, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
This episode was easily the worst so far, and there's been plenty of lame moments so far.

How easily did Stephanie give up on Jim? And why? And then Chaka holding up the pictures she tore up was so horribly bad. And "claw your way to the top?" I'm out.
Easily the worst because of the poor writing! There's been nothing shown but how strong their marriage is and suddenly he's kissing some woman he just met that he said he didn't trust and she doesn't think there's something off about that? It's you've got to move out and I'm tearing up pictures, how could you?!
She couldn't figure out the guy being injected was not some white collar criminal?
My Dad said he thinks your dad is super strong and your mom has powers too...my dad. The one that was just whacked out on super drugs robbing ATM's and threw you out a window? That dad? And the best response she could do was "OK, you're right" Not "maybe he was just whacked out on super drugs and doesn't know what he saw?"
Stupid stupid stupid!

ChrisHicks, other than this crap episode, I've been rolling with the iffyness of the show and enjoy it as a guilty pleasure. No it's not the best and has it's share of problems but it's fun and has some good moments mostly due to the actors. If this is a type of show you enjoy, it's worth watching before it's cancelled.
Old 03-04-11, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lewisb73
The show is gonna be cancelled, which is sad because I like the cast too... minus the son of course...
lol... poor Chaka... that line above tears the carpet out from under that kid.. almost as good as "Congratulations, Bart Simpson you're our new Fallout Boy!........ That's what I'd be saying to you if you weren't an inch too short. Next!"

this show has grown on me some and I think they did a good job of slowly building up everyone's powers etc. The main problem I have had with almost every ep is at some point it's like the main writers handed off the script to "Jeff" the guy who doesn't want to work there anymore.. So he just hucks some crap onto the page for a plot point or whatever.. It's sort of jarring how badly the show can all of a sudden shift..
Old 03-05-11, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by celmendo
Easily the worst because of the poor writing! There's been nothing shown but how strong their marriage is and suddenly he's kissing some woman he just met that he said he didn't trust and she doesn't think there's something off about that? It's you've got to move out and I'm tearing up pictures, how could you?!
He was under her spell.....I guess you missed that part where she was using her powers and willing him to do what she wanted. His wife kissed him towards the end on the rooftop which broke the spell.
Old 03-05-11, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by djones6746
He was under her spell.....I guess you missed that part where she was using her powers and willing him to do what she wanted. His wife kissed him towards the end on the rooftop which broke the spell.
I think he got that. The point was the wife was so quick to dump him just because he got googly eyed over one woman. Clearly she should have been smarter than that...she kicked him out over ONE kiss and ONE declaration of love for her.

How could have this been written better? Hmmmmm...let's see...Well, for start recall in the restaurant when Jim said that he felt that his friend was not acting right with this woman that was a clue right there she should have picked up on. She should have been able to connect the two...this strange woman somehow makes men suddenly start acting completely different. RIGHT then she should have perhaps let him go do his thing but follow him and shadow his moves to see what was up...do some investigation before just giving up on the whole marriage.

Nobody here missed the woman had him under the spell...we got that.

And the photo ripping scene was just horrid...Chaka picks up a picture to show how she's ripped out Jim's part of the pictures and the rip is the exact outline of Jim's head and the rest of the picture looks flat and perfect, not as if somebody was actually tearing at it, plus she REFRAMED IT. For the love of PETE, that was so horrible I wondered if I was somehow watching a dream sequence induced by the pheromone woman. It was so surreal.
Old 03-05-11, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I watched the first couple of episodes and it was like Heroes-lite.
I am guessing it has not improved much even with the action amped up?
Old 03-05-11, 06:44 PM
AJW
DVD Talk Special Edition

For those who have seen all the aired shows so far ..... I have a question.

Spoiler:
Does Dr. King (Steven Collins) know that the shape shifter (Rebecca Mader) is dead? Maybe I fell asleep or missed an episode? Last I recall, Stephanie was pretending to be her ...... pretending to be her.

Thanks!
Old 03-05-11, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

She went to S. America to investigate where they got their powers. At least that is what she Stephanie said she was gonna do when pretending to be her.
Old 03-06-11, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riley_dude
It never gets better. Give up now.
Old 03-06-11, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by riley_dude
This season was more entertaining to me than anything Heroes came up with after its first season. The characters grow on you, even the supporting ones like the lab assistant or George the D.A.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 03-06-11 at 02:01 PM.