Old 03-01-11, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,529 Posts
Lights Out -- "Head Games" -- 3/01/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-01-01

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
After defeating Morales, Lights hires trainer Ed Romeo (Eamonn Walker), who once trained Death Row Reynolds. Romeo is part boxing guru and part psychologist, and his approach is very different from Pops'. Meanwhile, Theresa worries about Ava's attitude about life.

Episode 8 of 13

Promo:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8NE0QJigyUw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-01-11, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Lights Out -- "Head Games" -- 3/01/11

Dan Auerbach

---

Great episode. I really like the addition of Romeo and I hope he sticks around. It's nice to see an outsider's approach to training Lights and it's pretty obvious he sees how his dad, brother, and sister aren't exactly the best influence on him; I just wish Lights would see it as well. I'm glad Lights at least didn't abandon him even though his dad offered to train him again and despite what Reynolds told him.

While it wasn't the best explanation as to why Lights looked so poor in the first round, they did sort of address it as part of the problem with his eye. And I guess the fight wasn't thrown? I thought it seemed pretty clear that it was a fixed fight, but maybe that was just poor fight choreography after all.

The previews for next week look great.
Old 03-01-11, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent episode. I think Eamonn Walker's character is already by far the most compelling on the show. I really hope he sticks around a while as he definitely brings something to the show that seemed to be missing. I am also starting to really dislike Lights' brother Johnny.
Old 03-02-11, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts

Wait, so the Morales fight wasn't fixed? The way he went down made it totally seem like it was, and nothing to do with the eye. That's just poor writing/direction.
Old 03-02-11, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slop101
Wait, so the Morales fight wasn't fixed? The way he went down made it totally seem like it was, and nothing to do with the eye. That's just poor writing/direction.
I am leaning towards not fixed because of the Armenian fight and Lights/Row fight are horrible as well.

Walker is a fantastic addition to the show.
Old 03-02-11, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 704 Likes on 512 Posts

I still think the Morales fight was fixed, but that only Brennan and Barry were in on it. They're the ones using Johnny to their advantage as it seems he's back to his douchy ways. I'm not so keen on The Fighter storyline with the family, but I hope it takes a different turn. The Rocky 3 storyline is ok tho with Lights having to unlearn things and change his boxing style with a new trainer, Romeo.

They really should have had the Lights/Morales fight go a few more rounds before the turn, then it would have felt more credible about Lights arguing about Morales' dirty tactics. To have all that come in the first round was overkill. Had it been over the first 3 - 4 rounds, I can see where Lights would then resort to what he did.
Old 03-03-11, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think it was fixed, because in the terribly-choreographed way the fight was handled, Lights really beat the hell out of him after the nuts shot. Follow how all the other fighting has gone...I mean, his entire character and the formation of the show is built around him losing the first Reynolds fight. In that fight, Reynolds is basically dead on the ropes, hands at his sides, and Lights won't go after him in order to protect his eye. In a real fight, not only would a fighter not care (because a guy who can't punch can't hurt your eye), but as soon as Lights charges at a guy who can't protect himself, the ref steps in and stops the fight likely before a punch is even thrown. Someone watching that fight should have thought Lights was fixing the match for not finishing him off.

But it's a TV show...and it's strong enough overall to more than put up with this stuff.
Old 03-03-11, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 598 Likes on 483 Posts

Always cool to see Said from Oz (one of my favorite tv characters of all time). Should be a good character.
Old 03-03-11, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I can't stand the know-it-all daughter. She annoys the shit out of me every time she's on screen.