Old 03-01-11, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,529 Posts
Southland -- "Failure Drill" -- 3/01/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-01-01

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
John's drug issue worsens as Ben approaches the end of his training. Elsewhere, Lydia is involved in a shoot-out while preoccupied with a teenage victim; and Sammy focuses on fatherhood.

Episode 9 of 10

Next week is the season finale

Promo with Sneak Peak:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IbpgnTJCzPY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-02-11, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: Southland -- "Failure Drill" -- 3/01/11

Pretty good episode. It wasn't perfect, but I was thoroughly entertained. The show is finishing up strong.

I have to say that this was probably the best Ochoa-Adams episode. The shootout scene at the factory was very well directed. That was IMO a case where you can create a very suspenseful scene without any background score/music. However, it was a little absurd for Lydia to go back into the factory and face the heavily armed assailant alone without backup arriving.

at the reveal that Adams date was Ochoa's son. Loved her reaction.

Once again, I loved the Cooper and Sherman. Cooper was really screwed up this episode and I enjoyed seeing how angry and frustrated Sherman was. I know Ben has alot of loyalty to John, but he was so high and useless that day it would have put both of their lives in danger. Ben should have reported him.

at the scene where Sherman was interviewing the woman who's "Uterus" was stolen. Loved Cooper saying they had a 187 and had to go.

The only part of this episode that I hated was the Sammy/Tammy scenes. The scene where she tracked him down with her phone so that she could ask the question about how they are going to raise the kid was stupid. And especially at a crime scene. Really that couldn't wait until after his shift.
Old 03-06-11, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Wow, Was I the only one who watched this last week? I know alot of cable shows aren't that popular here, but this is by far one of the best.

Anyways, some cautiously optimistic news to report, but it's not official. According to this article, TNT is expected to renew Southland for a 4th season. An official announcement probably won't happen until after the finale airs on Tuesday.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...SS|News|TVNews

Very much looking forward to the season finale Tuesday night.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-07-11 at 12:21 AM.
Old 03-06-11, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Wow, Was I the only one who watched this last week? I know alot of cable shows aren't that popular here, but this is by far one of the best.
I watch the show online, so I'm always behind. By the time I see an episode it seems pointless to comment.
Old 03-07-11, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

I have this "budgeted" for Sunday afternoons so I don't usually bother posting in the thread. It's been a strong season, but I didn't care for this episode all that much.

Even with the ongoing drug problem, I felt Cooper has too much respect for the job to act like he did in this episode. It felt out of character.

As for Adams alone in the building...that was silly and as unrealistic as most cop shows. As a work of entertainment I don't mind that, but Southland strives to be realistic. Plus, I've never really liked Adams so it's bad in those situations that I just want to see her get shot.
Old 03-07-11, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not liking a character is one thing, wanting to see them get shot is...forget it. Not even worth finishing that sentence.
Old 03-07-11, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Finally caught up to this season, It's been a great past few eps. Lydia owned this ep, and I have really come around on her character. Cooper's back is a concern moving forward, hate to see these guys break up, as they have been the center of the show since its inception. The show has needed character pruning since the first season, and they have done that and then some this year, with shocking effects, so much so, I was not sure what was going to happen to Lydia in the factory, it was a gripping scene.

Looking forward to the season ender and very happy to see see this show to possibly get renewed.

I've been enjoying the Chicago Code this year, but having a show on TNT with some more latitude definitely adds another layer of realism to the cop beat.
Old 03-07-11, 08:40 AM

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

Anyways, some cautiously optimistic news to report, but it's not official. According to this article, TNT is expected to renew Southland for a 4th season. An official announcement probably won't happen until after the finale airs on Tuesday.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...SS|News|TVNews

Very much looking forward to the season finale Tuesday night.
I usually catch up on this over the weekend. Solid episode this week -- felt bad for both Cooper and Sherman as they are both forced to deal w/ Cooper's back problems.

Encouraging news about the potential renewal.
Old 03-07-11, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
Not liking a character is one thing, wanting to see them get shot is...forget it. Not even worth finishing that sentence.
I didn't say I wanted Regina Hall to get shot. Just never really cared for Adams and would rather she wasn't a huge focus on the show.
Old 03-08-11, 01:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just caught on this show the last few weeks ... meaning starting with season 1. I'd read some decent reviews when season 3 was starting, comparing it to The Shield and The Wire. It's not that good, but it's decent. I started watching from the beginning, and just watched this ep a couple days ago.

I understand they had some cutbacks when it moved to TNT, but I'd like to see more of the Chickie and Dewey characters and interaction. And, why did Adams' second partner leave (the guy from Prison Break)? And, did the young black girl from season 1 that was in the Explorers ever get to testify? What happened to the Hispanic gang with the mom? Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention. Lol.
Old 03-08-11, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,352 Likes on 917 Posts

I will say, as someone who absolutely hates Regina King and her character, they've made her a bit better this season. She's come off a bit more human than she had in the two previous seasons. Having said that, I wouldn't cry if she were gone from the show.