Reload this Page >

Dancing with the Stars - Season 12 - "The Announcement of the Stars!"

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-28-11, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From mtv.com - Here's a look at the 12 eclectic new contestants signed on for season 12 of "Dancing With the Stars":
Chris Jericho
Jericho, born Christopher Irvine, is very well known to the world of professional wrestling fans. The 40-year-old was the first undisputed champion of the WWE in December 2001 (he beat Stone Cold Steve Austin and the Rock) but put his career on hold recently to focus more on his other passion project, performing as lead singer of heavy-metal band Fozzy.

Romeo
Although originally signed up to strut his stuff on season two, Romeo was replaced at the last minute by his equally famous poppa, Master P (whose turn on "DWTS" has been touted by many critics and followers as one of the worst in the show's history; his Paso Doble holds the record for the lowest score ever). With the bar set slightly lower than average, the 21-year-old rapper, who once played college basketball for USC, likely hopes to make it farther than his father.

Kendra Wilkinson
The decidedly un-shy, already established reality-TV star Wilkinson is no stranger to performing or baring all in front of audiences. Wilkinson, who got her start as a Playboy model, ventured into television as a part of E!'s "The Girls Next Door" before slightly tempering her party-girl ways to settle down with NFL player Hank Baskett, their domestic bliss being the subject of her current show, "Kendra: Bunny Next Door."

Kirstie Alley
Before she was the subject of her own reality show, "Kirstie Alley's Big Life," first on A&E and now Lifetime, and a Jenny Craig spokeswoman, Alley was known to several generations of TV watchers and filmgoers for her memorable turns on TV shows "Cheers" and "Veronica's Closet" and movies like "Look Who's Talking." The outspoken celeb is a longtime "DWTS" fan, whose entertaining and varied tweets have been featured frequently in our Twitterwood column on MTV Movies Blog.

Wendy Williams
The self-proclaimed "Queen of All Media" made a name for herself as a radio DJ then became a best-selling author and currently hosts her own syndicated daytime talk show called "The Wendy Williams Show." Williams has a knack for asking uncomfortable questions during celebrity interviews and will certainly be a force to be reckoned with on the dance floor. Her talk show is reportedly scheduled to go on hiatus while she competes on the show.

Chelsea Kane
As has been the custom over the course of the past few seasons, the "DWTS" team has welcomed another Disney star into their midst, Chelsea Kane (formerly known as Chelsea Staub, Kane legally changed her professional name back in December). The 22-year-old was a regular on Disney's "JONAS," starring the Jonas Brothers, and currently lends her voice to the character Bea on the animated series "Fish Hooks."

Sugar Ray Leonard
Leonard, a former professional boxer, follows in the footsteps of a slew of former professional athletes who have danced before him. While athletes have been formidable competitors in "DWTS" seasons past, the boxers haven't fared quite as well. The 54-year-old's illustrious career includes winning world titles in five weight divisions, including the welterweight champion of the world, as well as being the first boxer to earn more than $100 million in total purse winnings. Here's hoping Leonard's footwork is more like that of Laila Ali than Evander Holyfield and Floyd Mayweather.

Ralph Macchio
Although he's had a few memorable parts on TV shows like "Entourage" and "Ugly Betty," for a lot of people, Macchio will always and forever be the original "Karate Kid." Sure, Jaden Smith karate-chopped his way to box-office success with his turn in 2010's remake, but Macchio kicked his way into the hearts of teenage girls everywhere with 1984's "The Karate Kid" and subsequent sequels.

Hines Ward
They're certainly not skimping on the athletes this season! Ward joins the cast as one of three professional athletes competing for the famed discoball trophy. The onetime Super Bowl MVP currently plays wide receiver for the Pittsburgh Steelers and was born in Seoul, South Korea. In September of last year, President Barack Obama appointed him a member of the President's Advisory Commission on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders.

Petra Nemcova
This Czechoslovakian beauty is a supermodel with a big heart. The 31-year-old was one of hundreds of thousands of people caught in the devastating South Asian tsunami in 2004, which killed 250,000 people in 14 countries, including Nemcova's boyfriend at the time, Simon Atlee. When Nemcova visited the site of the tsunami several months later, she was unsatisfied with the structure of how charitable donations benefit those living in states of emergency, so she created the Happy Hearts Fund to help children in post-disaster areas in eight countries: Haiti, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Peru, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Hurricane Katrina-affected areas of the United States.

Mike Catherwood
While most TV watchers are familiar with Dr. Drew from his various VH1 shows, his "Loveline" radio partner, Mike Catherwood, might not be as well-known. Catherwood, also known as Psycho Mike, has co-hosted the syndicated radio show for a year now, following Adam Carolla's exit back in 2005. The muscly radio host -- who also works on Los Angeles' "Kevin & Bean Show" -- recently made a memorable appearance filling in for Regis Philbin on "Live With Regis & Kelly." We'll see if his smooth-talking skills and time in the gym translate to a successful "DWTS" run.
Old 02-28-11, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 291 Posts
Re: Dancing with the Stars - Season 12 - "The Announcement of the Stars!"

Joel Mchale is going to go nuts on The Soup friday since Wendy Williams is in the cast.
Old 02-28-11, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't stand Psycho Mike
Old 02-28-11, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts

By my count, that's five people I've heard of, not counting "that model who lost her boyfriend in that tsunami".
Old 02-28-11, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 573 Likes on 418 Posts

Did they call Petra a "supermodel survivor" ?

So I guess they've run out of real stars. I thought for a second that Will Smith was one of the dancers.
Old 02-28-11, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

What a terrible cast. The wife will watch for sure, but I may skip most of this season.
Old 02-28-11, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Everyone always bitches when the new cast for DWTS is released but really when have they ever had an "all-star" cast? I musta missed that season

Go Daniel-san!
Old 02-28-11, 11:18 PM

Received 763 Likes on 497 Posts

I'm in as long as Y2J is dancing!... and that might just make me interested enough to run the thread this season. I have maintained the threads for the last few years, but have not watched. Maybe this time I will.
Old 02-28-11, 11:20 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll admit I hadn't heard of Mike Catherwood before the cast announcement
Old 03-01-11, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm surprised they couldn't get bigger names. There's no one on that list I would cheer for.
Old 03-01-11, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They're really scraping the bottom of the barrel here. I don't know half of the stars and the rest I'm not interested in. I will watch though because I love the show.
Old 03-01-11, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,598 Likes on 999 Posts

Loves that ABC referred to this cast as "star-studded" - can someone point the stars out to me? Because I don't see them.
Old 03-01-11, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A cast comprised of people including a supermodel, a boxer, an NFL player, a wrestler, a Disney Channel personality, and a former star of Cheers? Yep, they've really hit rock bottom with the casting.
Old 03-01-11, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by astrochimp
Everyone always bitches when the new cast for DWTS is released but really when have they ever had an "all-star" cast? I musta missed that season
Agreed. There's no one on this list that makes me go WTF? like Kate Gosselin or Bristol Palin. There's a champion boxer. A Superbowl MVP. A popular model. A Playmate. An actor who was the star in an iconic movie for most of our childhoods. A well-known wrestler. A TV actress from a highly-regarded sitcom. A Disney star connected to the Jonas Brothers. This cast is on par with any other season.

Supposedly, Ward will be paired up with Kym Johnson. I'm penciling them in for the win.
Old 03-01-11, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I only recognized about 5-6 of this season's cast. Probably won't watch much more than the first couple of weeks where the entire cast dances for votes.
Old 03-01-11, 11:47 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stars, shmars, all I want to know... Is Edyta coming back?
Old 03-01-11, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Originally Posted by Burgundy LaRue
Agreed. There's no one on this list that makes me go WTF? like Kate Gosselin or Bristol Palin. There's a champion boxer. A Superbowl MVP. A popular model. A Playmate. An actor who was the star in an iconic movie for most of our childhoods. A well-known wrestler. A TV actress from a highly-regarded sitcom. A Disney star connected to the Jonas Brothers. This cast is on par with any other season.

Supposedly, Ward will be paired up with Kym Johnson. I'm penciling them in for the win.
"Psycho" Mike doesn't make you pause? I listen to the Kevin and Bean show and I'm still surprised.
Old 03-01-11, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I did a Google Image search for "Petra Nemcova". You should too.
Old 03-01-11, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
"Psycho" Mike doesn't make you pause? I listen to the Kevin and Bean show and I'm still surprised.
No more than Bristol. At least this guy has an actual job.
Old 03-01-11, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

The definition of "star" gets looser and looser with every season.
Old 03-01-11, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obey The D
A cast comprised of people including a supermodel, a boxer, an NFL player, a wrestler, a Disney Channel personality, and a former star of Cheers? Yep, they've really hit rock bottom with the casting.
While they did get people from various entertainment fields, most of these people have little to no name recognition. Yes, there's Kirstie, Sugar Ray, Ralph Macchio and perhaps Jericho and Wendy Williams but the others get a big fat "WHO?" The show is successful enough to get bigger "stars."
Old 03-01-11, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
I did a Google Image search for "Petra Nemcova". You should too.
Very hot!
Old 03-01-11, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here are the pairings (courtesy of EW):

Kirstie Alley and Maksim Chmerkovskiy

Ralph Macchio and Karina Smirnoff

Sugar Ray Leonard and Anna Trebunskaya

WWE star Chris Jericho and Cheryl Burke

E! boobmonger Kendra Wilkinson and Louis van Amstel

Wendy Williams and Tony Dovolani

Rapper Lil Romeo and Chelsie Hightower

Disney actress Chelsea Kane and Mark Ballas

Footballer Hines Ward and Kym Johnson

“Psycho” Mike Catherwood and Lacey Schwimmer

Tsunami model Petra Nemcova and Dmitry Chaplin
Old 03-01-11, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 573 Likes on 418 Posts

So this is more like "Stars dancing with d grade barely known pseudo-celebrities"

Besides Hienz Ward just in the superbowl are any of these other people topical
or have anything currently going on besides this show?
Old 03-01-11, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Someone is missing from the photo.

http://video.aol.com/aolvideo/aol-te...y/806958749001

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.