Old 02-28-11, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,529 Posts
The Chicago Code -- "Cabrini Green" -- 2/28/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-01-01

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
After a bomber blows up a city building, additional targets and innocent people remain in danger. Teresa handles the escalating crisis as Jarek and Caleb race against time to track down the suspect who might have ties to the Chicago Liberation Army. Meanwhile, Alderman Gibbons takes matters into his own hands when an armed teenage robber threatens him, which triggers a reflection on his own youth and upbringing when he was more of an idealist.

Episode 4 of 13

Sneak Preview with some interviews:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rzZ97da1YtQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-28-11, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Chicago Code -- "Cabrini Green" -- 2/28/11

Great episode. The show keeps improving each week. I love the way they're mixing in stand-alone stories and the season-long arc, it's working quite well.

I love how Gibbons so easily manipulates people; he's really a ruthless villain. He just worms himself in everywhere and is continually one step ahead of Colvin and does it with a smile and in the public eye. Truly a worthy adversary. I think the voice overs tonight were used particularly well.

I figured the bomber's mom was going to tell him to go ahead and do it, but the scene was still well done. I'm enjoying Wysocki and Caleb as a team.
Old 02-28-11, 11:49 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 242 Likes on 183 Posts

They made it real hard to figure out who David Argyle was based on Did Sarah Palin write this episode?

I can't tell if it's the way Jennifer Beals plays the character or the writing, but you don't get the sense Covin could catch a cold, let alone someone like Gibbons.
Old 03-01-11, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shawn Ryan just said on twitter that the game they were playing in the hospital was the The Shield video game for XBox, which is kind of awesome.
Old 03-01-11, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is there a The Shield videogame for XBox? I thought it was only released on PlayStation 2...unless this is a new game I'm not aware of?
Old 03-01-11, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MrX
I can't tell if it's the way Jennifer Beals plays the character or the writing, but you don't get the sense Covin could catch a cold, let alone someone like Gibbons.
This. She has been set up as pretty damned worthless so far. We might care about her struggle if we actually saw her do anything worth a damn.
Old 03-01-11, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by kstublen
Is there a The Shield videogame for XBox? I thought it was only released on PlayStation 2...unless this is a new game I'm not aware of?
IGN, Gamespot & GameFAQs all have XBox listings for it, but it looks like it was cancelled before release and only ever came out on PS2 & PC. There was an XBox demo of it at E3 2004 so I guess it's possible that Ryan has that demo, but you're probably right that it was just the PS2 version.
Old 03-01-11, 10:17 AM

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts

This show is on fire. Loved the episode last night and the game of cat & mouse with Argyle.
Old 03-01-11, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Colvin is not good. Why did she risk the undercover guy by meeting him for basically no reason?

She doesnt seem like a real threat to the bad guys. I wouldn't be surprised if she doesnt make it through the season.

Maybe Shawn Ryan has problems creating strong female characters in charge. Glenn Close comes to mind.

D
Old 03-01-11, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

I thought the Glenn Close character was great on The Shield, and I would blame Shawn Ryan because Covin/Beals sucks on this show. Maybe that's it--I can't tell if it's horrible acting or if the character is just supposed to be weak. Either way, it's almost ruining the show for me, and I really wanted to like it...
Old 03-01-11, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good episode. But all of these Wysocki and Colvin "can I talk to you for a sec" meetings are really going to pull one over on the chief of staff? Come on!
Old 03-01-11, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think part of the problem with Colvin is they (the writers) haven't really figured out her role yet... is she overseeing the investigation (which is what it seems like her character should be doing) or is she actively participating in it (being on the street, meeting with CI's... it just doesn't seem like that would be her job)? I also think Beals is miscast, but the way the character is currently being written, I think almost any actor/actress would have difficulty in that role.

For this to work Wysocki needs to be the primary role on the police side of the Gibbons investigation (and not co-star with Beals on the investigation), and if they need to get Beals more screentime, they need to develop another storyline(s) with her. It's like she's managing a department of one or two.
Old 03-01-11, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

good episode. And finally for the first time in my life, when a gift is presented in a fictional tv show, it's in the original box!

I can't tell you how many times I've seen a show (mainly sitcoms) where they buy a gift for someone, and it's already out of the box/packaging etc

That always bugged me!
Old 03-02-11, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Another good episode...Chicago Code has become one of my favorites this season. Looking forward to the remaining eps.
Old 03-02-11, 05:18 AM
Banned

This show is amazing, but are they trying to make the corrupt Alderman the most likable character?
Old 03-02-11, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,529 Posts

Good episode. The opening was great and the show got off with a bang. I liked that they told some of it from the perspective of Alderman Gibbons and his voice overs. Liked how he bonded with the kid he shot, yet it also showed he has an ulterior motive as well. His evil laugh in the Limo was great.

The cat and mouse game that Wysocki and Evers faced against Argyle was very compelling.

I do have to agree that Teresa's meeting with Liam was ultimately pointless. Being in Deep Cover, she should know better than to bring him out and risk blowing his cover for such a petty check-in/question. Until he has some extremely useful information/evidence, he needs to stay put and communicate with her and Wysocki through other means.
Old 03-02-11, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Really like the show. In my distant past, I lived just a few blocks from Cabrini-Green, so it was fascinating to see this urban blight as part of the story.

(Trivia: Cabrini-Green is also the setting/background for the Candyman movie.)
Old 03-03-11, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gibbons has the potential to be a great TV character. I like how they fleshed out his character this episode. Delroy Lindo is perfect in this role; he gives Gibbons a smooth, intelligent and understated menace. That laugh in the limo was funny on the surface, but you felt the chilling undertones beneath. I also like the actor who's playing his aide.

The bombing storyline didn't interest me as much, but it was entertaining.
Old 03-03-11, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
This show is amazing, but are they trying to make the corrupt Alderman the most likable character?
The most likable character on The Shield was corrupt. The most likable character in my opinion on The Unit was corrupt to at least some extent.

Yeah, wouldn't shock me. I'd expect it will turn soon, though.
Old 03-03-11, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 704 Likes on 512 Posts

I'm thinking that down the line, the meetings/contact with the guy undercover is going to come back and haunt them. Not that I should read anything into it, but he hasn't had his voice over moment yet, right? And when that moment happens, maybe he'll be outted. At this point, it may actually work for Clovin since Gibbons has asserted his power over the Irish mob by threatening the head guy.
Old 03-03-11, 06:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
They maybe trying for the J.R. Ewing or Vic Macky type.
Where the viewer loves to see the bad guy win.
Old 03-07-11, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love Gibbons' grammatical errors, it makes him sound like such an authentic politician.
Old 03-12-11, 08:57 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm finally watching this episode. Great stuff, but they sure do get a lot of Chicago details wrong. I guess its my turn to experience what New Yorkers and Angelinos have to deal with every time they watch TV.
Old 03-13-11, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I love the show but Beals' character is just so unrealistic. Everything about her just seems off. Not only is the actress failing to act with the gravitas of the highest ranking police officer in Chicago (as the 3rd largest city in the US and a department of over 15,000 employees she is like a major CEO) the writers have her involved in too much daily minutia.
Old 03-13-11, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by marty888
(Trivia: Cabrini-Green is also the setting/background for the Candyman movie.)
And the sitcom Good Times