Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Oscars 2010: "Who Will Win/Who Should Win" Picks

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-22-11, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We're only days away. I think I'm set on everything. This is definitely one of the tougher years for making picks as there's alot of films that could be multiple winners on Sunday. With this past year having so many great films, I do think it'll be a night where we have multiple films with more than 1 win. Seems fitting that they would reward several films given how strong 2010 was. Of course, we could see The King's Speech winning almost everything too.

PICTURE
will win: The King's Speech
should win: The Social Network

Those 12 nominations and the BAFTA, DGA, PGA, and SAG victories are going to be tough to overcome. But I wouldn't be shocked by a TSN upset. It has won the ACE, WGA, and Globe and a ton of critics awards. Plenty of support. If TKS loses both supporting categories and stuff like costumes and score, we might see an upset.

DIRECTOR
will win/should win: David Fincher

Hooper losing the BAFTA to Fincher tells me he isn't a lock at all. He won the DGA, but so did Rob Marshall. I'm hoping we get the split. They don't happen often, but I think they will this year. Aside from the DGA, Fincher has won just about everything. And he actually deserves it.

ACTOR
will win: Colin Firth
should win: James Franco

Actor is always a loaded category. But Firth is 100% a lock.

ACTRESS
will win/should win: Natalie Portman

Ignore that last minute Bening upset talk. Portman has won the BAFTA, Globe, and SAG. 99% a lock.

SUPP. ACTOR
will win/should win: Christian Bale

If TKS's broom is out, we'll see a Rush upset here. I think Bale is safe.

SUPP. ACTRESS
will win/should win: Hailee Steinfeld

My "Swinton surprise" pick. We usually get one surprise and I think it happens here. Steinfeld gave a lead performance, which I think will help. She's also racked up several critics awards. True Grit has 10 nominations, so they clearly like the film. Carter's only main win was the BAFTA, in which Leo wasn't nominated for. I think those 2 will cancel each other out. If Carter does win, that signals a TKS dominated evening.

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
should win: Inception

The Picture winner usually wins Screenplay. If TKS loses though...look out.

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
will win/should win: The Social Network

99% lock here. There is that small, tiny chance that the love for True Grit could give the Coens a victory. No one thought Precious would win last year. But I think Sorkin is definitely taking this.

EDITING

That ACE win gave it a boost. If TKS were truly, truly dominant, they would have given the ACE to it. But this win leaves a little bit of hope for an upset.

CINEMATOGRAPHY
will win: Roger Deakins
should win: Wall Pfister

Easily one of the toughest categories. I was going with Pfister last week, but I'm going with Deakins. He's due and I think they will reward True Grit with multiple Oscars.

SOUND MIXING/EDITING
will win/should win: Inception

True Grit's CAS win keeps it in the hunt for Mixing. If The Social Network ends up winning Mixing, that might also signal an upset for Picture. But I'm sticking with the big sci-fi film. We've had more splits recently though.

ART DIRECTION
should win: Inception

If The King's Speech does win Picture, it'll probably end up with 5 or 6 wins, and this tech award will probably be one of them.

COSTUMES
will win/should win: The King's Speech

VISUAL EFFECTS
will win/should win: Inception

MAKE-UP
will win/should win: The Wolf Man

I know everyone hates this movie, but Rick Baker's make-up was about the only redeeming quality.

SCORE

This could easily go to The King's Speech to pad the total.

SONG
will win: Toy Story 3
should win: 127 Hours

I don't care enough to mention the remaining categories, so feel free to post yours.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 02-22-11 at 05:50 PM.