Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone seen "Blood Into Wine"? (Maynard James Keenan doc)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-11, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

DVD came out last September, still haven't had a chance to watch it, any thoughts?

Trailer:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R5drOkkCNT8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think there's another thread on this (hell I think I posted in it) but I can't find it...
Old 02-22-11, 01:03 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Anyone seen "Blood Into Wine"? (Maynard James Keenan doc)

that short ass moment w/ the fat kid...ALMOST makes me NOT want to see it.
Old 02-22-11, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't interested in this, as I'm not a Tool fan at all, but that trailer may have sold me. Big fan of Tim & Eric, Bob Odenkirk, and Patton Oswalt.
Old 02-22-11, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the BD during release week. The only reason I was interested in it was Tim and Eric's participation, but it's definitely worth checking out.
Old 02-22-11, 01:35 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

It's a pretty good documentary. I've tried a few of their wines and I think they're pretty good, but I have yet to open my two Caduceus bottles. Maybe this weekend.

Originally Posted by Apple Gooncha
I wasn't interested in this, as I'm not a Tool fan at all, but that trailer may have sold me. Big fan of Tim & Eric, Bob Odenkirk, and Patton Oswalt.
Tim & Eric have the most screen time (and they're hilarious, btw), and even then it's probably no more than 10 minutes spread across the entire length of the film. Patton and Bob are barely in it at all.
Old 02-23-11, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's actually a very good doc and it made me interested in going back and start listening to Tool again now that I know a little more about Maynard.

It's streaming on Netflix so that is a great way to check it out if interested.
Old 02-25-11, 07:29 AM

I used to be a pretty big Tool fan, but few things say 'self-indulgent rich guy' than starting your own winery. And then, on top of that, add making a documentary about it with formulaic 'self-depricating moments'...ugh. (I admit I haven't seen it, though)
Old 02-25-11, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by AVP77
I used to be a pretty big Tool fan, but few things say 'self-indulgent rich guy' than starting your own winery. And then, on top of that, add making a documentary about it with formulaic 'self-depricating moments'...ugh. (I admit I haven't seen it, though)
I'm not sure but I think he was approached about making the doc, not the other way around.

I also believe wine making was always a family business, he didn't just up and decide to take up wine making out of the blue one day. Plus he's friends with a good number of comedians, seems pretty natural for them to take shots and liven things up. Hell, their vineyard is named after a pubic wig.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-25-11 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-25-11, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

No but he was featured in Last Call with Carson Daly in late 2010 and they had a segment on his wine business.
Old 02-25-11, 10:00 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by AVP77
Yeah, you couldn't be more wrong, in my opinion. I went in with a similar attitude, but ended up truly believing that Maynard is passionate about his winery. You really should watch it. He's in that business for the long-haul. Sure there are some scripted moments (especially the end), but overall, it's a well made documentary.
Old 02-25-11, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I enjoyed it. I know nothing about wine, but am open to learning more about it-(as I am with craft beers) and found this to be a well made, insightful look into not only the wine making process, but a nice glimpse into Maynard's persona as well.
Old 02-26-11, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Who knew they could make wine in Arizona? Very interesting documentary. From watching, I think Maynard would rather make wine than make music.